Skip to content

Camp Goff

The Browns Board
515 46 16.1k
  • Dude... I've posted them twice already...

    Oh well... let's go for the hat trick. I don't think these are even the same ones that I dug up earlier... so many gems to choose from...

    @tacosman said:

    I think JF will get at least 2 whole seasons to prove himself, but after one whole season it will be so clear he is the franchise qb that this conversation will all seem silly.

    Look Brandon weeden got a solid year and a half or so to stink, and weeden wasn't 22 years old, wasn't a heisman winner, etc.....

    I expect JF to play better next two weeks, but if he doesn't it's no big deal. This is HIS TEAM. For a LONG TIME.

    @tacosman said:

    Absolutely a couple years....look how long other first round qbs get, even if they are bad. Blaine gabbert got about two years of terrible play. You guys are delusional if you think 22 year old first round qbs have a few starts only to 'prove they belong'.....

    Now it's not important in this case because JF is going to be good. But this crazy idea you guys have that a first round 22 yo qb for a bad franchise needs to play well in the final 2 games or else(or else what Connor shaw starts lmfao) is not based in reality.

    Even funnier because Shaw did get a start and actually looked like a QB...

  • @mike-h said:

    Has anyone actually watched Goff throw a deep ball? Interested to hear your takes on his 25+ throws, especially seam and deep middle.

    I'll be happy to note those throws going forward, Mike. One of my notes from the 2015 USC game was, "Nice 30-yd touch pass."

    In tape so far have been some nice deep crosses (posts), but don't recall many seams.

    I do recall several sideline fly routes. He seems to have a tendency to overthrow them if he misses.

    @tour2ma said:

    I'll be happy to note those throws going forward, Mike. One of my notes from the 2015 USC game was, "Nice 30-yd touch pass."

    In tape so far have been some nice deep crosses (posts), but don't recall many seams.

    I do recall several sideline fly routes. He seems to have a tendency to overthrow them if he misses.

    My main reason for bringing up those two areas of the field, is his arm seems limited to me. He can get the ball there, but if you watch competent NFL QBs, especially Aaron Rodgers (who he is constantly compared to) you see a better trajectory with more velocity. His deep balls seem to need more air to get there.

    It doesn't look to be a problem caused by bad mechanics, so it points to arm strength.

    That's important.

  • I haven't looked that closely I mostly looked at the fact he gets the ball there. I've seen a couple underthrows but not that many.

    I mean if he gets the ball there and hits a guy in stride down the sideline at 30+ yards I'd find it hard to criticize the velocity or trajectory, probably need to look closer at his misses but I think a lot of them were overthrows.

  • I disagree. And to be clear, I like both him and Wentz a lot. I'm deciding if I like them No. 2 overall enough or not.

    I'll try to find some clips later to show you what I'm talking about, and why it might be an issue.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I'll be happy to note those throws going forward, Mike. One of my notes from the 2015 USC game was, "Nice 30-yd touch pass."

    In tape so far have been some nice deep crosses (posts), but don't recall many seams.

    I do recall several sideline fly routes. He seems to have a tendency to overthrow them if he misses.

    My main reason for bringing up those two areas of the field, is his arm seems limited to me. He can get the ball there, but if you watch competent NFL QBs, especially Aaron Rodgers (who he is constantly compared to) you see a better trajectory with more velocity. His deep balls seem to need more air to get there.

    It doesn't look to be a problem caused by bad mechanics, so it points to arm strength.

    That's important.

    @mike-h said:

    My main reason for bringing up those two areas of the field, is his arm seems limited to me. He can get the ball there, but if you watch competent NFL QBs, especially Aaron Rodgers (who he is constantly compared to) you see a better trajectory with more velocity. His deep balls seem to need more air to get there.

    It doesn't look to be a problem caused by bad mechanics, so it points to arm strength.

    Mechanics to my eye look to be really, really good. I don't see the Rogers comparison. Maybe more of a same-school thing?

    I'm with you though... arm is not "elite" like Rogers' or Newton's. He's not capable of Aaron's 65-yd howitzer hail mary or a Newton 50 from his knees, but it looks more than adequate to me... especially given the anticipation I see in him.

    Earlier I pegged his effective range as 55-yd-ish. I've since seen a couple 60-ish shots that were well thrown. Also no issue with the 15-yd out to the far side. Bit of a hump in it, but that's all.

    Aside: You mentioned Arkansas OG Tretola a bit ago. I've now worked the 2nd Qtr of the Sr. Bowl and he did show well. But I am starting to love Nick Martin at C or OG. Unfortunately Nick looks to be going higher... maybe too high to be an option for us.

  • Nice article here with a few embedded gifs...

    http://insidethestar.com/dallas-cowboys-draft-jared-goff-film-review/

  • Goff throws off of his back foot. Reminds me of Jake Plummer.

  • At least NFL DraftScout does...

    • Goff 1
    • Wentz 1
    • Lynch 1/2
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2016&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

    On their Big Board they now have:

    Goff at #4;

    Wentz at #10; and

    Lynch at #28.

    Big drop for Lynch who was initially at #17 IIRC...

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2016&sortby=rateall&order=ASC

    @tour2ma said:

    At least NFL DraftScout does...

    • Goff 1
    • Wentz 1
    • Lynch 1/2
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2016&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

    On their Big Board they now have:

    Goff at #4;

    Wentz at #10; and

    Lynch at #28.

    Big drop for Lynch who was initially at #17 IIRC...

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2016&sortby=rateall&order=ASC

    Walter Football has Wentz #2, Goff #7, Lynch #13.

  • @tour2ma said:

    The comment concerned TacoCabana clearly relishing his ignorance with an overreliance on "no one can predict" (which ironically happens to be a prediction). If you are eager to share that stance, then I'll gladly lump you in with him.

    Myself... I prefer to argue my own opinion based upon my own observations. Doesn't mean I will be right in any particular case, but overall I like my odds.

    I may know nothing, but at least I'm working to fill the void.

    One... do I have to drag out your introductory posts on Manziel again?

    Two... do you realize how your opening undermines everything that follows?

    My money is still on you being a trolling alt...

    I don't think you know what the hell you are talking about with how I viewed and view Manziel. I've always been of the opinion that while he was an exciting player in college he was not likely cut out for the nfl. I've made hundreds of posts on manziel, even before this season. Can you find one or two posts on manziel which I praise him in some way? Perhaps...but you'll find(even before this season) far far more posts critical of manziel. My consistent stance of manziel(despite whatever hyperbole I used in a few introductory posts) was that he was NOT going to be a legit nfl qb.

    I was right on where we would be this year. I was right on Pettine. I was right on what we would do with pettine after I was right on where we would be as a team. I was right on every manziel. I was right on every damn thing.....and a lot of you dumbasses were wrong. So I'll just leave it at that for now.

    @tacosman said:

    I don't think you know what the hell you are talking about with how I viewed and view Manziel. I've always been of the opinion that while he was an exciting player in college he was not likely cut out for the nfl. I've made hundreds of posts on manziel, even before this season. Can you find one or two posts on manziel which I praise him in some way? Perhaps...but you'll find(even before this season) far far more posts critical of manziel. My consistent stance of manziel(despite whatever hyperbole I used in a few introductory posts) was that he was NOT going to be a legit nfl qb.

    I was right on where we would be this year. I was right on Pettine. I was right on what we would do with pettine after I was right on where we would be as a team. I was right on every manziel. I was right on every damn thing.....and a lot of you dumbasses were wrong. So I'll just leave it at that for now.

    UM, it wasn't exactly rocket science to get on the Manziel hate train, day one. I'll leave it at that-

    Pettine was a tad harder, but when the losses started piling up- well, it was pretty easy to jump on the ride him out of town on a rail crowd.

  • Goff throws off of his back foot. Reminds me of Jake Plummer.

    One Post From the Truth said:

    Goff throws off of his back foot. Reminds me of Jake Plummer.

    Backfoot? Which of the 5 gifs in the article I posted show that?

  • One Post From the Truth said:

    Goff throws off of his back foot. Reminds me of Jake Plummer.

    Backfoot? Which of the 5 gifs in the article I posted show that?

    @tour2ma said:

    Backfoot? Which of the 5 gifs in the article I posted show that?

    Not in the gifs but I've seen some highlights. Don't worry man I'm wrong about qb's all the time anyway.
  • I disagree. And to be clear, I like both him and Wentz a lot. I'm deciding if I like them No. 2 overall enough or not.

    I'll try to find some clips later to show you what I'm talking about, and why it might be an issue.

    @mike-h said:

    I disagree. And to be clear, I like both him and Wentz a lot. I'm deciding if I like them No. 2 overall enough or not.

    I'll try to find some clips later to show you what I'm talking about, and why it might be an issue.

    I don't think his arm strength is sub par for the NFL, but it definitely wouldn't be the best. It's definitely better than a Brian Hoyer anyway.

    How much do you think an NFL conditioning program could improve it?

  • @the-gipper said:

    If you are talking about Tacosman's statement, I happen to think he is right.

    NO ONE has a clue if any or which one of these QBs will be an outstanding QB.

    After all.....most people had Weeden a low 1st or 2d rounder.

    No one had Russell Wilson up there that year.

    And of course there is obviously the Tom Brady example. And on the opposite extreme the Jamarcus Russell example.

    You know nothing Jon Snow.

    well just because Jamarcus was #1 overall doesn't mean there was a consensus he would be excellent. Sometimes a guy can go #1 overall and there be very little certainty over what his nfl career will be like. Cam newton was another such guy who went the other way of course...

    @tacosman said:

    well just because Jamarcus was #1 overall doesn't mean there was a consensus he would be excellent. Sometimes a guy can go #1 overall and there be very little certainty over what his nfl career will be like. Cam newton was another such guy who went the other way of course...

    Fair to say....though I don't think it was a case of the Raiders having been considered to have gone of the rails when they picked him.

    Most if not all draft services had Russell going very very high in the draft the year he came out.

  • @the-gipper said:

    If you are talking about Tacosman's statement, I happen to think he is right.

    NO ONE has a clue if any or which one of these QBs will be an outstanding QB.

    After all.....most people had Weeden a low 1st or 2d rounder.

    No one had Russell Wilson up there that year.

    And of course there is obviously the Tom Brady example. And on the opposite extreme the Jamarcus Russell example.

    You know nothing Jon Snow.

    The comment concerned TacoCabana clearly relishing his ignorance with an overreliance on "no one can predict" (which ironically happens to be a prediction). If you are eager to share that stance, then I'll gladly lump you in with him.

    Myself... I prefer to argue my own opinion based upon my own observations. Doesn't mean I will be right in any particular case, but overall I like my odds.

    I may know nothing, but at least I'm working to fill the void.

    @tacosman said:

    Just because i've been right every damn time on every damn thing since I've come in here doesn't mean I know everything......and I'm not afraid to admit it.

    One... do I have to drag out your introductory posts on Manziel again?

    Two... do you realize how your opening undermines everything that follows?

    My money is still on you being a trolling alt...

    @tour2ma said:

    The comment concerned TacoCabana clearly relishing his ignorance with an overreliance on "no one can predict" (which ironically happens to be a prediction). If you are eager to share that stance, then I'll gladly lump you in with him.

    You can lump me in with him....that is fine......because that happens to be the correct thought process in this discussion.

    Myself... I prefer to argue my own opinion based upon my own observations. Doesn't mean I will be right in any particular case, but overall I like my odds.

    I may know nothing, but at least I'm working to fill the void.

    One... do I have to drag out your introductory posts on Manziel again?

    Not sure what you are talking about with Manziel. I thought we were talking about the QBs available in this draft.

    You seem to be drifting Snow White.

    Two... do you realize how your opening undermines everything that follows?

    Again, not following what you are talking about. I save my opening statements for court. (or maybe you are talking to another person?)

    My money is still on you being a trolling alt...

  • I'm drifting? Look at the original post... two replies to two different posts.

    And you do realize John Snow fucked the person who told him he knew nothing... don't you?

  • I'm drifting? Look at the original post... two replies to two different posts.

    And you do realize John Snow fucked the person who told him he knew nothing... don't you?

    @tour2ma said:

    I'm drifting? Look at the original post... two replies to two different posts.

    And you do realize John Snow fucked the person who told him he knew nothing... don't you?

    When you quote your thread, only your replies come up, so it gets a little lost in translation when you reply to multiple posts. That is why I never do that.

    And yes, I know about Jon Snow. And no, I am neither a chick nor gay....so I must respectfully decline your offer of sex.

    Though I did have red hair like Igrett. It has faded with years.

  • @mike-h said:

    I disagree. And to be clear, I like both him and Wentz a lot. I'm deciding if I like them No. 2 overall enough or not.

    I'll try to find some clips later to show you what I'm talking about, and why it might be an issue.

    I don't think his arm strength is sub par for the NFL, but it definitely wouldn't be the best. It's definitely better than a Brian Hoyer anyway.

    How much do you think an NFL conditioning program could improve it?

    @bbedward said:

    I don't think his arm strength is sub par for the NFL, but it definitely wouldn't be the best. It's definitely better than a Brian Hoyer anyway.

    How much do you think an NFL conditioning program could improve it?

    Sure, he's a big kid and could definitely increase in those areas. But I think it's a big gap.

    Am liking him more in other areas the more I watch, though. He throws with excellent touch. By that, I mean he changes velocity/arch in certain situations, and takes some speed off or adds at appropriate times. Arm is perfectly fine for about 40 yards. Baits/looks off defenders.

    Ball placement at times seems poor, average mobility, college system (pre-snap, I can't tell very much. Also, I think he'll take a lot of sacks his rookie year) and deep ball are my biggest concerns.

    Everything else looks tip top.

  • Then we're seeing about the same thing... 😮

    On mobility...

    For scrambling and running, whether it be for his life or a first down, I won't quibble with "average", but it's his movement inside the pocket that impresses the hell out of me. He just glides to safety seemingly without ever actually looking at the pressure.

    Not only is his pocket movement not average IMO, I've been hard pressed to come up with a comparable. Big Ben may be as close as I can come.

  • Then we're seeing about the same thing... 😮

    On mobility...

    For scrambling and running, whether it be for his life or a first down, I won't quibble with "average", but it's his movement inside the pocket that impresses the hell out of me. He just glides to safety seemingly without ever actually looking at the pressure.

    Not only is his pocket movement not average IMO, I've been hard pressed to come up with a comparable. Big Ben may be as close as I can come.

    @tour2ma said:

    but it's his movement inside the pocket that impresses the hell out of me. He just glides to safety seemingly without ever actually looking at the pressure.

    Not only is his pocket movement not average IMO, I've been hard pressed to come up with a comparable. Big Ben may be as close as I can come.

    I was thinking Big Ben myself in watching some of that move a bit this way, that way, up a bit, etc. while still focused on receivers. If we are going to take a QB first, then I'm leaning more Goff's way than the other two. Lynch hasn't shown me anything better than late 2nd / early 3rd rounder and I'm a bit prejudiced concerning quality of opponents when it comes between Goff and Wentz.