Skip to content

Camp Cook

The Browns Board
268 35 6.2k
  • http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/

    Connor Cook has a private workout with the Browns.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/

    Connor Cook has a private workout with the Browns.

    Only if they're planning on taking him @ #32. I wouldn't read much into this- the Browns will workout every viable QB.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/

    Connor Cook has a private workout with the Browns.

    Only if they're planning on taking him @ #32. I wouldn't read much into this- the Browns will workout every viable QB.

    @hoorta said:

    Only if they're planning on taking him @ #32.

    This is my fear.

  • I don't see Cook being available to us in the second round. I know that just about all of the mock drafts say he will, but something tells me the Broncos will snap him up with the last pick of the first. To me, he makes the most sense for them. Believe it or not, I think Wentz might actually slide. I could see the Rams taking Cook over Wentz because they need a guy right NOW. In many drafts, a QB can slide pretty far down if he makes it by the initial "QB hungry teams". The real question to me is, if Wentz begins to slide, to we make a move to get back into the first round? I would severely doubt it, but we'll see.

    We've all heard the comments about Cook, and how it appears he wasn't a leader and all that, but how much do we really know about the guy? Is this all conjecture and bullshit? I would say where there's smoke there is fire, but has Cook been in trouble off the field? Does he have any of those red flags? I honestly don't know much about the guy, but what I've seen regarding his ability to play football, he seems like a player.

  • I think Wentz is better than Cook right now, FWIW.

  • I don't see Cook being available to us in the second round. I know that just about all of the mock drafts say he will, but something tells me the Broncos will snap him up with the last pick of the first. To me, he makes the most sense for them. Believe it or not, I think Wentz might actually slide. I could see the Rams taking Cook over Wentz because they need a guy right NOW. In many drafts, a QB can slide pretty far down if he makes it by the initial "QB hungry teams". The real question to me is, if Wentz begins to slide, to we make a move to get back into the first round? I would severely doubt it, but we'll see.

    We've all heard the comments about Cook, and how it appears he wasn't a leader and all that, but how much do we really know about the guy? Is this all conjecture and bullshit? I would say where there's smoke there is fire, but has Cook been in trouble off the field? Does he have any of those red flags? I honestly don't know much about the guy, but what I've seen regarding his ability to play football, he seems like a player.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I don't see Cook being available to us in the second round. I know that just about all of the mock drafts say he will, but something tells me the Broncos will snap him up with the last pick of the first. To me, he makes the most sense for them. Believe it or not, I think Wentz might actually slide. I could see the Rams taking Cook over Wentz because they need a guy right NOW. In many drafts, a QB can slide pretty far down if he makes it by the initial "QB hungry teams". The real question to me is, if Wentz begins to slide, to we make a move to get back into the first round? I would severely doubt it, but we'll see.

    We've all heard the comments about Cook, and how it appears he wasn't a leader and all that, but how much do we really know about the guy? Is this all conjecture and bullshit? I would say where there's smoke there is fire, but has Cook been in trouble off the field? Does he have any of those red flags? I honestly don't know much about the guy, but what I've seen regarding his ability to play football, he seems like a player.

    OK, I'm going to chime in on this one, I've worked with Connor Cook's mom for over 25 years, she's been involved in Connor's football career his whole life, and I have followed him at the Green and White..... This kid is squeaky clean, With what I know, I would have no problem with him being the face of any franchise. If you watched him play as I have over his 3 years as a starter, there's no way he's not a leader of men. Alot of what you hear is all about money and to set the order of the draft, This kid is a winner both on an off the field... Goff and Wentz are grabbing all the head lines but Connor is as good as both of them, The team that draft's Connor is going to get the sleeper QB in this draft....

  • no, Conner Cook is second tier vs Goff and Wentz.

    He doesn't have off the field red flags, he just isn't an elite qb prospect.

    Here's a nice article about the good and not so good about Conner Cook

    on the field.

    I think he is more a mid 2nd round pick at best, just my opinion.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610727-quarterback-connor-cook-is-most-polarizing-player-in-2016-nfl-draft#

  • I took him in about round 3 for the cowboys and I could see that playing out in real life.

  • Jon Gruden just said on ESPN that Michigan State's Connor Cook "is gonna be the best QB in this draft."

  • Jon Gruden just said on ESPN that Michigan State's Connor Cook "is gonna be the best QB in this draft."

    @darren15 said:

    Jon Gruden just said on ESPN that Michigan State's Connor Cook "is gonna be the best QB in this draft."

    Nail in the coffin.

  • no, Conner Cook is second tier vs Goff and Wentz.

    He doesn't have off the field red flags, he just isn't an elite qb prospect.

    Here's a nice article about the good and not so good about Conner Cook

    on the field.

    I think he is more a mid 2nd round pick at best, just my opinion.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610727-quarterback-connor-cook-is-most-polarizing-player-in-2016-nfl-draft#

    @calfoxwc said:

    no, Conner Cook is second tier vs Goff and Wentz.

    He doesn't have off the field red flags, he just isn't an elite qb prospect.

    Here's a nice article about the good and not so good about Conner Cook

    on the field.

    I think he is more a mid 2nd round pick at best, just my opinion.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610727-quarterback-connor-cook-is-most-polarizing-player-in-2016-nfl-draft#

    ESPN was discussing him- Knocks are completion % and accuracy.

    @darren15 said:

    Jon Gruden just said on ESPN that Michigan State's Connor Cook "is gonna be the best QB in this draft."

    I saw that during the above. 🙂

  • I don't like Cook for many reasons, some I have already said. Plus his arm strength is poor.

    Know how many QBs have succeeded with a bad arm? Not many.


    Cook is now expected to take a major drop down the draft boards after registering a 50mph velocity at the combine. He had the weakest arm out of any QB at the combine.

    In comparison Kellen Moore threw a 52 mph ball at the combine.

    Michigan State's Connor Cook registered a velocity measurement of just 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the NFL Combine.
    Paxton Lynch (59 MPH), Jared Goff (58), and Carson Wentz (57) all exhibited strong velocity at the Combine. Per Rotoviz's Jon Moore via Ourlads' Dan Shonka, Cook's miles-per-hour measurement was the weakest of all quarterbacks invited to Indianapolis. Cook also opted out of the Senior Bowl, which is where NFL scouts assess throwing strength live. A big-named passer in college, Cook is likely headed for a draft-day plunge. And there are several additional red flags on Cook not related to his underwhelming passing ability.
  • I don't like Cook for many reasons, some I have already said. Plus his arm strength is poor.

    Know how many QBs have succeeded with a bad arm? Not many.


    Cook is now expected to take a major drop down the draft boards after registering a 50mph velocity at the combine. He had the weakest arm out of any QB at the combine.

    In comparison Kellen Moore threw a 52 mph ball at the combine.

    Michigan State's Connor Cook registered a velocity measurement of just 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the NFL Combine.
    Paxton Lynch (59 MPH), Jared Goff (58), and Carson Wentz (57) all exhibited strong velocity at the Combine. Per Rotoviz's Jon Moore via Ourlads' Dan Shonka, Cook's miles-per-hour measurement was the weakest of all quarterbacks invited to Indianapolis. Cook also opted out of the Senior Bowl, which is where NFL scouts assess throwing strength live. A big-named passer in college, Cook is likely headed for a draft-day plunge. And there are several additional red flags on Cook not related to his underwhelming passing ability.

    @mike-h said:

    I don't like Cook for many reasons, some I have already said. Plus his arm strength is poor.

    Know how many QBs have succeeded with a bad arm? Not many.

    Cook is now expected to take a major drop down the draft boards after registering a 50mph velocity at the combine. He had the weakest arm out of any QB at the combine.

    In comparison Kellen Moore threw a 52 mph ball at the combine.

    Michigan State's Connor Cook registered a velocity measurement of just 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the NFL Combine.

    Paxton Lynch (59 MPH), Jared Goff (58), and Carson Wentz (57) all exhibited strong velocity at the Combine. Per Rotoviz's Jon Moore via Ourlads' Dan Shonka, Cook's miles-per-hour measurement was the weakest of all quarterbacks invited to Indianapolis. Cook also opted out of the Senior Bowl, which is where NFL scouts assess throwing strength live. A big-named passer in college, Cook is likely headed for a draft-day plunge. And there are several additional red flags on Cook not related to his underwhelming passing ability.

    Do you know how fast some current or former NFL QBs have thrown the ball?

  • @mike-h said:

    I don't like Cook for many reasons, some I have already said. Plus his arm strength is poor.

    Know how many QBs have succeeded with a bad arm? Not many.

    Cook is now expected to take a major drop down the draft boards after registering a 50mph velocity at the combine. He had the weakest arm out of any QB at the combine.

    In comparison Kellen Moore threw a 52 mph ball at the combine.

    Michigan State's Connor Cook registered a velocity measurement of just 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the NFL Combine.

    Paxton Lynch (59 MPH), Jared Goff (58), and Carson Wentz (57) all exhibited strong velocity at the Combine. Per Rotoviz's Jon Moore via Ourlads' Dan Shonka, Cook's miles-per-hour measurement was the weakest of all quarterbacks invited to Indianapolis. Cook also opted out of the Senior Bowl, which is where NFL scouts assess throwing strength live. A big-named passer in college, Cook is likely headed for a draft-day plunge. And there are several additional red flags on Cook not related to his underwhelming passing ability.

    Do you know how fast some current or former NFL QBs have thrown the ball?

    @the-gipper said:

    Do you know how fast some current or former NFL QBs have thrown the ball?

    Year: 2016

    Paxton Lynch, Memphis 59

    Jared Goff, California 58

    Carson Wentz, North Dakota State 57

    Christian Hackenberg, Penn State 56

    Joel Stave, Wisconsin 56

    Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State 56

    Josh Woodrum, Liberty 56

    Cody Kessler, Southern Cal 55

    Brandon Allen, Arkansas 55

    Trevone Boykin, TCU 55

    Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 54

    Nate Sudfeld, Indiana 54

    Kevin Hogan, Stanford 53

    Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky 53

    Vernon Adams, Oregon 53

    Jeff Driskel, Louisana Tech 52

    Connor Cook, Michigan State 50

    Cardale Jones, Ohio State, Did not throw

    Bryan%20Benentt.png

    Bryan Bennett, SE Louisiana

    Year: 2015

    Bryan Bennett, SE Louisiana 60

    Sean Mannion, Oregon State 57

    Brandon Bridge, South Alabama 57

    Marcus Mariota, Oregon 56

    Anthony Boone, Duke 56

    Jameis Winston, Florida State 55

    Cody Fajardo, Nevada 55

    Bryce Petty, Baylor 53

    Brett Hundley, UCLA 53

    Shane Carden, East Carolina 52

    Jerry Lovelocke, Prairie View A&M 51

    Nick Marshall, Auburn 50

    Blake Sims, Alabama 42

    Garrett Grayson, Colorado State, Did not throw

    Connor Halliday, Washington State, Did not throw

    Jimmy-Garoppolo-for-blog3-300x163.jpg

    Jimmy Garoppolo – 2014

    YEAR: 2014
    Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech 60
    Stephen Morris, Miami 59
    Tom Savage, Pittsburgh 57
    Blake Bortles, Central Florida 56
    Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois 56
    Jeff Mathews, Cornell 56
    Keith Wenning, Ball State 56
    Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois 55
    Tajh Boyd, Clemson 54
    Bryn Renner, North Carolina 54
    David Fales, San Jose State 53
    AJ McCarron, Alabama 53
    Dustin Vaughan, West Texas A&M 53
    Connor Shaw, South Carolina 50
    Teddy Twatwater, Louisville – Did not throw
    Derek Carr, Fresno State – Did not throw
    Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M – Did not throw
    Zach Mettenberger, LSU – Did not throw
    Aaron Murray, Georgia – Did not throw
    Geno%20Smith.png

    Geno Smith – 2013

    YEAR: 2013
    Tyler Bray, Tennessee 59
    Zac Dysert, Miami (OH) 59
    James Vandenberg, Iowa 57
    Ryan Nassib, Syracuse 56
    Bradley Sorensen, Southern Utah 56
    Geno Smith, West Virginia 55
    Tyler Wilson, Arkansas 55
    EJ Manuel, Florida State 54
    Matthew Scott, Arizona 54
    Landry Jones, Oklahoma 53
    Collin Klein, Kansas State 52
    Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech 51
    Marqueis Gray, Minnesota 51
    Michael Glennon, North Carolina State 49
    Matt Barkley, Southern Cal – Did not throw
    Sean Renfree, Duke – Did not throw
    Brandon%20Weeden.jpg

    Brandon Weeden – 2012

    YEAR: 2012
    Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59
    Kirk Cousins, Michigan State 59
    Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi 58
    Nick Foles, Arizona 57
    Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois 57
    Jordan Jefferson, LSU 57
    Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 55
    Casey Keenum, Houston 55
    Patrick Witt, Yale 54
    Darron Thomas, Oregon 53
    Ryan Lindley, San Diego State 52
    Kellen Moore, Boise State 52
    Jacory Harris, Miami 50
    Aaron Corp, Richmond 50
    BJ Coleman, Tennessee-Chattanooga Did not throw
    Robert Griffin III, Baylor Did not throw
    Andrew Luck, Stanford Did not throw
    Brock Osweiler, Arizona State Did not throw
    Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M Did not throw
    Andy-Dalton-3-300x200.jpg

    Andy Dalton 2011

    YEAR: 2011
    Colin Kaepernick, Nevada 59
    Ryan Mallett, Arkansas 58
    Patrick Devlin, Delaware 56
    Andy Dalton, TCU 56
    Cam Newton, Auburn 56
    Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin 55
    Nathan Enderle, Idaho 54
    Jake Locker, Washington 54
    TJ Yates, North Carolina 52
    Christian Ponder, Florida St 51
    Ricky Stanzi, Iowa 50
    Tyrod Taylor, Va Tech 50
    Greg McElroy, Alabama Did not throw
    Blaine Gabbert, Missouri Did not throw
    John%20Skelton.jpg

    John Skelton 2010

    YEAR: 2010
    Levi Brown, Troy 56
    Colt McCoy, Texas 56 (Did not throw at Combine. Throw was recorded at a private workout with a Radar Gun & Computer Chip in Ball.
    Max Hall, BYU 52
    Tim Hiller, Western Michigan 52
    Michael Kafka, Northwestern 52
    Zac Robinson, Oklahoma St. 52
    Jevan Snead, Mississippi 52
    Sean Canfield, Oregon St. 51
    Jarrett Brown, West Virginia 50
    John Skelton, Fordham 50
    Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan 49
    Tony Pike, Cincinnati 49
    Armanti Edwards, Appalachian St. 46.5
    Sam Bradford, Oklahoma Did not throw
    Jimmy Clausen,Notre Dame Did not throw
    Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee Did not throw
    Tim Tebow, Florida Did not throw
    Josh%20Freeman.jpg

    Josh Freeman 2009

    YEAR: 2009
    John Wilson Parker, Alabama 58
    Mike Reilly, Central Washington 58
    Drew Willy, Buffalo 58
    Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal 57
    Josh Freeman, Kansas State 57
    Chase Daniels, Missouri 57
    Nate Davis, Ball State 56
    Curtis Painter, Purdue 56
    Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State 55
    Tom Brandstetter, Fresno State 53
    Cullen Harper, Clemson 53
    Stephen McGee, Texas A & M 53
    Graham Harrell, Texas Tech 52
    Pat White, West Virginia 52
    Matt Stafford, Georgia Did not throw
    Joe%20Flacco.jpg

    Joe Flacco 2008

    YEAR 2008:
    Paul Smith, Tulsa 57
    Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
    Kevin O’Connell, San Diego St 55
    Brian Brohm, Louisville 53
    Chad Henne, Michigan 53
    Erik Ainge, Tennessee 52
    John David Booty, Southern Cal 51
    Matt Flynn, LSU 50
    Josh Johnson, San Diego 49
    Colt Brennan, Hawaii 44
    Dennis Dixon, Oregon Did not throw
    Matt Ryan, Boston College Did not throw
    Andre Woodson, Kentucky Did not throw
    Connor Shaw, Ricky Stanzi and Tyrod Taylor are the most notable players to hit just 50 MPH since 2008. Not a great group to be in
  • I asked a follow-up to the author (Dan Shonka, owner of Ourlads scouting)

    Is there a separate drill designed to test velocity, or are speeds taken during different drills?

    Mar 2
    4cawMSnn_200x200.jpg

    Mike, The QBs throw out cuts to their right and then to the left. The radar gun records their peak speed in both directions. The ball is thrown to a standing receiver

    I asked the question because I wanted to know if they were throwing at a moving target, or if they were able to wind-up and uncork it. This drill is intended for players to get maximum velocity/torque...

    Cook has a noodle arm, like I thought after watching all his tape. Hard pass for me

  • As a HS football scout this is LOL Gold. Gip, these scouts have got all the info anybody would need. Does a college or pro head of scouting trust the info? No way José. Did we see Hue & staff with Wentz & Goff. Hell Yes,(with our old scouting masters still in place 😡. I don't blame them).. They have their own OWN IT answer. We will see & We will all know at pick#2..

  • I asked a follow-up to the author (Dan Shonka, owner of Ourlads scouting)

    Is there a separate drill designed to test velocity, or are speeds taken during different drills?

    Mar 2
    4cawMSnn_200x200.jpg

    Mike, The QBs throw out cuts to their right and then to the left. The radar gun records their peak speed in both directions. The ball is thrown to a standing receiver

    I asked the question because I wanted to know if they were throwing at a moving target, or if they were able to wind-up and uncork it. This drill is intended for players to get maximum velocity/torque...

    Cook has a noodle arm, like I thought after watching all his tape. Hard pass for me

    @mike-h said:

    I asked a follow-up to the author (Dan Shonka, owner of Ourlads scouting)

    Is there a separate drill designed to test velocity, or are speeds taken during different drills?

    Mike, The QBs throw out cuts to their right and then to the left. The radar gun records their peak speed in both directions. The ball is thrown to a standing receiver

    I asked the question because I wanted to know if they were throwing at a moving target, or if they were able to wind-up and uncork it. This drill is intended for players to get maximum velocity/torque...

    Cook has a noodle arm, like I thought after watching all his tape. Hard pass for me

    Verrrryyyy interesting Mike. Shows just because you can throw rockets doesn't guarantee NFL success. Fer sure, looks like you had better be in the mid 50s+ though.

    Regarding Cook- weak arm + I forgot he skipped the Senior Bowl + was never voted a team Captain- steer clear MHO.

  • FWIW, Cook hurt his throwing shoulder in November 2015 and may not have been fully healed by the time the combine measurement was taken. I still didn't see a "live" arm before the injury.

  • Dang. A football at 60 MPH? I never would've thought those things are flying that fast.

  • Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59

    Just goes to show that velocity and accuracy and competency are far different matters.

  • Camp Douchebag