Skip to content

Did Our Analytics FO Pay Attention?

The Browns Board
73 17 2.5k
  • @bbedward said:

    I don't think we'll know much about his status until we get closer to training camp. By then he'd have had well over a year to recover from his surgeries, but sometimes guys never fully recover from an injury like that.

    It'd be a huge bonus if he did fully recover, he was being rated as the top CB in the 2015 draft pre-injury.

    WOW, you made a post that wasn't about Goff? Are you feeling OK?

    @the-gipper said:

    WOW, you made a post that wasn't about Goff? Are you feeling OK?

    LOL! Obviously not. You've cut him too badly too many times. 😛 You could give Colleen lessons.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not sure why you say that. I mean, he is a safety. He played safety last year. Here is that depth chart:

    http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

    Who exactly was unaware of his position on the field or his depth chart? Myself or Mud? Because I can assure you it was neither.

    @gftchris said:

    Who exactly was unaware of his position on the field or his depth chart? Myself or Mud? Because I can assure you it was neither.

    I thought it was you who was unsure because of this statement:

    Agree he looked a solid tackler. More to being a safety though, and he hasn't really had the chance to show he can do that.

    Maybe I just misunderstood you.

  • @gftchris said:

    Who exactly was unaware of his position on the field or his depth chart? Myself or Mud? Because I can assure you it was neither.

    I thought it was you who was unsure because of this statement:

    Agree he looked a solid tackler. More to being a safety though, and he hasn't really had the chance to show he can do that.

    Maybe I just misunderstood you.

    @the-gipper said:

    I thought it was you who was unsure because of this statement:

    Agree he looked a solid tackler. More to being a safety though, and he hasn't really had the chance to show he can do that.

    Maybe I just misunderstood you.

    giphy.gif

  • @the-gipper said:

    I thought it was you who was unsure because of this statement:

    Agree he looked a solid tackler. More to being a safety though, and he hasn't really had the chance to show he can do that.

    Maybe I just misunderstood you.

    giphy.gif

    @gftchris said:

    giphy.gif

    Maybe not so obvious. Snape wasn't what he seemed to be. Neither may you be. Maybe you are dazed and confused for so long its not true.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    of course they didn't pay attention. I'll gladly rescind that comment and offer an apology if they finally figure it out in time for the draft.

    Seriously? They haven't even been able to do anything yet and you're already bitching and writing them off? How about some positivity? Or maybe a 'well let's just give them a chance'?

    We have a coaching staff that will apparently have a big say in who we sign and draft, and that coaching staff is vastly experienced. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but give them a damn chance to do their jobs and see what happens.

    @gftchris said:

    Seriously? They haven't even been able to do anything yet and you're already bitching and writing them off?

    It's such a force of habit bro. They really are guilty till proven innocent in my eyes.

  • Three D starters went down in the playoffs that year including Von. Crystal ball must have told him they still wouldn't have won even with those guys.

    @wargograw said:

    Three D starters went down in the playoffs that year including Von. Crystal ball must have told him they still wouldn't have won even with those guys.

    The way the Denver Offense shriveled up and died 3 SB's ago, I have trouble accepting that Elway came away saying, "Man, I have to fix our Defense."

    @the-gipper said:

    I think this team has outstanding young talent on defense.

    For someone with this view you seem to know precious little about our young players.

    @mudfly said:

    I think anal-itics would say that a full recovery from his injury is not probable.....and we shouldnt count on him returning to his past form......if he does?....then SCORE!!!

    Of all the positions where a knee diminishes a player, CB has to top the list.

    I remember Rod Woodson did come back, but within a couple seasons shifted to FS.

  • He was a 7th round flier, a guy who used to be a top prospect, he might recover and become a solid contributor, if so then great pick, if not, no harm done.

  • top top prospect too......I totally agree with taking that flier....

    And you never know....even with a compromised knee, he could still be better than average....fingers crossed...

  • top top prospect too......I totally agree with taking that flier....

    And you never know....even with a compromised knee, he could still be better than average....fingers crossed...

    @mudfly said:

    top top prospect too......I totally agree with taking that flier....

    And you never know....even with a compromised knee, he could still be better than average....fingers crossed...

    Could be a solid safety I guess. If he can get to buster skrine level, for a 7th rounder that'll do.

  • @wargograw said:

    Three D starters went down in the playoffs that year including Von. Crystal ball must have told him they still wouldn't have won even with those guys.

    The way the Denver Offense shriveled up and died 3 SB's ago, I have trouble accepting that Elway came away saying, "Man, I have to fix our Defense."

    @the-gipper said:

    I think this team has outstanding young talent on defense.

    For someone with this view you seem to know precious little about our young players.

    @mudfly said:

    I think anal-itics would say that a full recovery from his injury is not probable.....and we shouldnt count on him returning to his past form......if he does?....then SCORE!!!

    Of all the positions where a knee diminishes a player, CB has to top the list.

    I remember Rod Woodson did come back, but within a couple seasons shifted to FS.

    @tour2ma said:

    The way the Denver Offense shriveled up and died 3 SB's ago, I have trouble accepting that Elway came away saying, "Man, I have to fix our Defense."

    Pretty much everything I have read about it alludes to exactly that. It was an embarrassment for their D not to be able to match Seattle's D. And he brought Kubiac in to change the way Manning was operating the O to fit an aging QB into managing it rather than carrying the team with it.

  • I know that's the popular story, Ag, I just have trouble accepting it.

    Changes included HC and both OCs.

    Both OCs brought with them new schemes.

    Only 3 Offensive starters from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

    Three defensive starters plus a reserve from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

    Looks like they remade the team as a whole. Obviously the D turned out to be better, but how much of that was design vs. diminished QB play?

  • @wargograw said:

    Three D starters went down in the playoffs that year including Von. Crystal ball must have told him they still wouldn't have won even with those guys.

    The way the Denver Offense shriveled up and died 3 SB's ago, I have trouble accepting that Elway came away saying, "Man, I have to fix our Defense."

    @the-gipper said:

    I think this team has outstanding young talent on defense.

    For someone with this view you seem to know precious little about our young players.

    @mudfly said:

    I think anal-itics would say that a full recovery from his injury is not probable.....and we shouldnt count on him returning to his past form......if he does?....then SCORE!!!

    Of all the positions where a knee diminishes a player, CB has to top the list.

    I remember Rod Woodson did come back, but within a couple seasons shifted to FS.

    @tour2ma said:

    The way the Denver Offense shriveled up and died 3 SB's ago, I have trouble accepting that Elway came away saying, "Man, I have to fix our Defense."

    For someone with this view you seem to know precious little about our young players.

    Why don't you fuck yourself with your stupid mother's dick. You don't know shit about our players any more than I do.

    Oh...you do a breakdown of offensive line play. Who gives a flying fuck.

    Tell us what players are good enough to win with. You have no clue.

    We have Shelton and Cooper.....good young defensive linemen. And Hughes. We certainly can add more....Get Bosa. Older players like Dez Bryant and Starks: serviceable. Can we do better...surely

    LBs: I was going to say Kirksey, Orchard, and A. Bryant. Well, maybe not Bryant.

    At DB we have some good young talent...Gipson if we keep him. K'Waun Williams. And the hope is that Desir, Campbell and Ekrpe can develop.

    Did I say that we were loaded like the '85 Bears? No I didn't say that, I said that I think we have some outstanding young talent on this defense.

    And I just gave you the people that I though constituted that.

    And there is NO fucking debate that you can make on that can refute that.

    Can we get more better talent? Absolutely. That is what I have been saying about this draft....take the best defensive player out there.

    So, eat shit and die if you don't like what I say about it. I just happen to be right.....as nearly always.

  • giphy.gif
  • @tour2ma said:

    giphy.gif

    Hahahaha.....now THAT is some funny shit, right there......

  • The Browns and Broncos are at completely different stages of a team's life-cycle. The Broncos with a Superbowl Bust defense were still playoff contenders, and therefore were in a position where signing marquee free agents could make the difference between winning the Super Bowl or not. I'm not taking anything away from Elway. He did what was right for his team: he saw that Manning wouldn't be able to carry the Broncos anymore, and decided to put the load on the defense. He also knew Manning didn't have several years for the defense to develop young players, so he went out and signed proven veterans.

    The Browns in hindsight have applied a similar formula, but because they are not playoff contenders, the formula failed them. They let a young player, T.J. Ward, go, in favor of an aging player, Donte Whitner. They brought in an aging linebacker in Dansby and lineman in Starks. The sum of their free agency moves is that they now have not only one of the worst defenses in the NFL, but the oldest. By the time the younger players on this team hit their prime, Whitner, Dansby, and Starks will be long gone. A few years from now, they will have missed the opportunity to have Whitner, Dansby, and Starks while they are productive AT THE SAME TIME as the players they drafted in the past two years hit their prime.

    That's why the Browns need to build through the draft, have a crop of players within a few years of age of each other, and develop them together so when they all hit their prime the Browns can be a Super Bowl contender. You have to have this kind of overall strategy in building the team, you can't just jump into free agency to try and address the team's problems without looking ahead to the future. This year, they should only sign free-agents coming off their rookie deal. In three to four years, if we're a playoff team, THEN you can start getting older guys to get you over the hump.

    @osiris said:

    The Browns and Broncos are at completely different stages of a team's life-cycle. The Broncos with a Superbowl Bust defense were still playoff contenders, and therefore were in a position where signing marquee free agents could make the difference between winning the Super Bowl or not. I'm not taking anything away from Elway. He did what was right for his team: he saw that Manning wouldn't be able to carry the Broncos anymore, and decided to put the load on the defense. He also knew Manning didn't have several years for the defense to develop young players, so he went out and signed proven veterans.

    The Browns in hindsight have applied a similar formula, but because they are not playoff contenders, the formula failed them. They let a young player, T.J. Ward, go, in favor of an aging player, Donte Whitner. They brought in an aging linebacker in Dansby and lineman in Starks. The sum of their free agency moves is that they now have not only one of the worst defenses in the NFL, but the oldest. By the time the younger players on this team hit their prime, Whitner, Dansby, and Starks will be long gone. A few years from now, they will have missed the opportunity to have Whitner, Dansby, and Starks while they are productive AT THE SAME TIME as the players they drafted in the past two years hit their prime.

    That's why the Browns need to build through the draft, have a crop of players within a few years of age of each other, and develop them together so when they all hit their prime the Browns can be a Super Bowl contender. You have to have this kind of overall strategy in building the team, you can't just jump into free agency to try and address the team's problems without looking ahead to the future. This year, they should only sign free-agents coming off their rookie deal. In three to four years, if we're a playoff team, THEN you can start getting older guys to get you over the hump.

    to all you board members that still think our d is so good, you are crazy...they really stink, . slow, can't tackle, drop int's...cannot get a turnover to save their lives...and to the point that you made osiris, you are the most dead on than anyone else..go back and look at all these players that we had...mcginnis, he's going to the hof...we get him as a free agent when he's all withered up...couldn't do shit...delhomme...washed up when we got him... i remember some board member on another board boasting how delhomme was going to get the clowns to the playoffs and eventually the sb...phwwwwappp...yeah ok... WILLIS MGHEE...WHAT WAS THAT....no ligaments left..no knees left..guy was incredible at one time. who else...oh yeah...scott fujita, another slowwwwww lb....the grandpa from the eagles we got that had more grass stains on his ass from getting faked out and stunk up the field...can't remember his name...only his number was 24...i can name you many more...You want a good example of a good free agent aquisitions...mike turner when the falcons got him...he still had 3 good yrs left in him and he did produce before he finally went downhill..remember calvin hill...i thought that was a real good one also...he really did pretty good, and we got him maybe a little past his peak, but he did produce...don't think there were any analytics involved with the 2 i mentioned...

  • @tour2ma said:

    giphy.gif

    "I have a plan"- Tour a.k.a. Dr. Strangelove. 🥷😆

  • Why don't we hire John Elway then?

  • I know that's the popular story, Ag, I just have trouble accepting it.

    Changes included HC and both OCs.

    Both OCs brought with them new schemes.

    Only 3 Offensive starters from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

    Three defensive starters plus a reserve from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

    Looks like they remade the team as a whole. Obviously the D turned out to be better, but how much of that was design vs. diminished QB play?

    @tour2ma said:

    I know that's the popular story, Ag, I just have trouble accepting it.

    Changes included HC and both OCs.

    Both OCs brought with them new schemes.

    Only 3 Offensive starters from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

    Three defensive starters plus a reserve from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

    Looks like they remade the team as a whole. Obviously the D turned out to be better, but how much of that was design vs. diminished QB play?

    Thank you, thank you.

  • Why don't we hire John Elway then?

    @opal312 said:

    Why don't we hire John Elway then?

    did i just read what i think i just read?

  • @opal312 said:

    Why don't we hire John Elway then?

    did i just read what i think i just read?

    @sisky-fringo said:

    did i just read what i think i just read? ???

    I twitched a little...anybody else facial tick reading that?