2016 O-Line Draft: Offensive Tackles
-
1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
This kid is the real deal and the class of this OT crop. Picture belongs in the dictionary next to "Athletic Big Man". He is easily worthy of #1 overall consideration.
Excepting a kick step his form is extraordinarily well developed. Knee bend is there. Feet are quick and chop him into position with no need to reach. Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.
In addition to great feet, he really hand fights well. Adapt at countering rushers' hands with sweeps and punches.
If Laremy lacks anything, it's "mean". Pops targets hard in run blocking, but does not bury them. Might be a muscle mass issue.
Fun clip of the year here: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=259503&start=700&end=710
Edit: The above link is supposed to go automatically to the 7:00 mark, but you may have to jump there manually.
1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
This kid is the real deal and the class of this OT crop. Picture belongs in the dictionary next to "Athletic Big Man". He is easily worthy of #1 overall consideration.
Excepting a kick step his form is extraordinarily well developed. Knee bend is there. Feet are quick and chop him into position with no need to reach. Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.
In addition to great feet, he really hand fights well. Adapt at countering rushers' hands with sweeps and punches.
If Laremy lacks anything, it's "mean". Pops targets hard in run blocking, but does not bury them. Might be a muscle mass issue.
Fun clip of the year here: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=259503&start=700&end=710
Edit: The above link is supposed to go automatically to the 7:00 mark, but you may have to jump there manually.
Which one is Ogbah in those clips? Did they match up with each other much?
Tunsil plays very low. Incredibly smooth. Makes it look easy.
Nice compliment to Myles.
-
Tour-did you get to watch any of those brilliant uncalled neck tackles he made on Myles Garrett the last two years as Garrett blew around him?

Tour-did you get to watch any of those brilliant uncalled neck tackles he made on Myles Garrett the last two years as Garrett blew around him?

Pretty sure I did...

1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.
As I recall there were a few, but only a couple I thought were holds. Mostly I saw an athletic OT laying on a fast, edge rusher who repeatedly tried the same, low, speed rush again and again and again.
-
1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
This kid is the real deal and the class of this OT crop. Picture belongs in the dictionary next to "Athletic Big Man". He is easily worthy of #1 overall consideration.
Excepting a kick step his form is extraordinarily well developed. Knee bend is there. Feet are quick and chop him into position with no need to reach. Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.
In addition to great feet, he really hand fights well. Adapt at countering rushers' hands with sweeps and punches.
If Laremy lacks anything, it's "mean". Pops targets hard in run blocking, but does not bury them. Might be a muscle mass issue.
Fun clip of the year here: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=259503&start=700&end=710
Edit: The above link is supposed to go automatically to the 7:00 mark, but you may have to jump there manually.
Which one is Ogbah in those clips? Did they match up with each other much?
Tunsil plays very low. Incredibly smooth. Makes it look easy.
Nice compliment to Myles.
Which one is Ogbah in those clips? Did they match up with each other much?
Heard his name a couple times in the audio track, but could not keep track of where Ogbah was. I do not recall him lining up across from Laremy, but since it's only easy to see in Quarters when LT is at the bottom of the line, I cannot say for sure.
-
X. Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame) 6'6 315 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125299&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
My first, head-scratching, "maybe he might be better inside???" candidate. Missing most major fundamental skills for OT. But he also tends to dance with run blocks rather than drive them, so how does that make him an inside candidate?
Early in 2015 he was crossing his feet instead of sliding to edge rushers. Did seem to overcome this deadly bad habit through the season, but still played with narrow stance in PassPro and added a weird back-peddle better suited for a DB. Has no kick step and bad knee flex.
Briefly flashed some decent chop and hand fighting in game vs. THE OSU, but played way too upright. In bowl game vs. Clemson he faced Lawson often and frequently looked overmatched. Really exposed his lack of athletic feet that both Tunsil and Decker have. Lawson threw a spin move at Stanley to which he responded with a fine form tackle.
Not sure where to place him, but definitely not in Round 1. For now he gets an "X" until I can see how low he drops on my "board". Likely a Day 2 guy, I think he needs a good combine to stay in Round 2. Have to see athletic numbers so know that if the technique comes, then so will a viable OL.
X. Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame) 6'6 315 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125299&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
My first, head-scratching, "maybe he might be better inside???" candidate. Missing most major fundamental skills for OT. But he also tends to dance with run blocks rather than drive them, so how does that make him an inside candidate?
Early in 2015 he was crossing his feet instead of sliding to edge rushers. Did seem to overcome this deadly bad habit through the season, but still played with narrow stance in PassPro and added a weird back-peddle better suited for a DB. Has no kick step and bad knee flex.
Briefly flashed some decent chop and hand fighting in game vs. THE OSU, but played way too upright. In bowl game vs. Clemson he faced Lawson often and frequently looked overmatched. Really exposed his lack of athletic feet that both Tunsil and Decker have. Lawson threw a spin move at Stanley to which he responded with a fine form tackle.
Not sure where to place him, but definitely not in Round 1. For now he gets an "X" until I can see how low he drops on my "board". Likely a Day 2 guy, I think he needs a good combine to stay in Round 2. Have to see athletic numbers so know that if the technique comes, then so will a viable OL.
Nice write-up Tour! I'll bet he has a tendency over extend if he's got that bad habit of keeping his feet too close together. That'll get exposed big at the next level.
-
Tour-did you get to watch any of those brilliant uncalled neck tackles he made on Myles Garrett the last two years as Garrett blew around him?

Pretty sure I did...

1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.
As I recall there were a few, but only a couple I thought were holds. Mostly I saw an athletic OT laying on a fast, edge rusher who repeatedly tried the same, low, speed rush again and again and again.
Pretty sure I did...

As I recall there were a few, but only a couple I thought were holds. Mostly I saw an athletic OT laying on a fast, edge rusher who repeatedly tried the same, low, speed rush again and again and again.
It's his only move. Not sure if that's a good thing (for the potential still on the table) or a bad thing.
-
Always best to have a second move... just ask Mingo...
A. Jason Spriggs (IU) - 6'6 301 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125281&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
Introducing my 2016 dark horse... or at least the guy I thought would be from the time I first saw him. Now? He might still be.
Jason first caught my eye live, against the Buckeyes. A good game to be sure, but one which reinforced a flaw I saw earlier against FIU, which is to reach, get off-balance and leave himself open to be reversed upon. Bosa did this once to him, but was never able to repeat it. In a goal-line Lewis also out muscled him in back to back plays. But in space he beat Lewis repeatedly and locked up Bosa couldn't outmuscle him.
The FIU showed that Spriggs can get nasty. When a DE leapt to bat down a pass, Spriggs undercut him into an aerial cartwheel. He really faced no challenge against Rutgers and SIU barely tested him more, although a DE managed to wrong-foot him once.
I almost did not watch a 5th game. After four I was growing less and less impressed, but I cued up IU's bowl against Duke and saw my guy again. I can only guess that he healed up or, at the very least, rested up following his last Big 10 game. At any rate he was back. Feet were quick. Blocks were solid.
Spriggs reminds me of Schwartz when Mitch was a rookie. When Mitch was not really great at anything and at times looked awkward, but persevered and learned his craft until last year he looked like Joe's mirror-image. Can't be sure Spriggs can develop as well as fast, but the raw material seems to be there. Hands are very good, feet are OK. Needs a kick step and consistent knee bend.
-
1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
This kid is the real deal and the class of this OT crop. Picture belongs in the dictionary next to "Athletic Big Man". He is easily worthy of #1 overall consideration.
Excepting a kick step his form is extraordinarily well developed. Knee bend is there. Feet are quick and chop him into position with no need to reach. Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.
In addition to great feet, he really hand fights well. Adapt at countering rushers' hands with sweeps and punches.
If Laremy lacks anything, it's "mean". Pops targets hard in run blocking, but does not bury them. Might be a muscle mass issue.
Fun clip of the year here: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=259503&start=700&end=710
Edit: The above link is supposed to go automatically to the 7:00 mark, but you may have to jump there manually.
1. Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss) 6'5 305 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128311&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT
This kid is the real deal and the class of this OT crop. Picture belongs in the dictionary next to "Athletic Big Man". He is easily worthy of #1 overall consideration.
Excepting a kick step his form is extraordinarily well developed. Knee bend is there. Feet are quick and chop him into position with no need to reach. Even without a kick step I only saw his edge threatened by TAMU's Garrett. Once he develops the kick, I do not think that even NFL-grade, edge speed will phase him.
In addition to great feet, he really hand fights well. Adapt at countering rushers' hands with sweeps and punches.
If Laremy lacks anything, it's "mean". Pops targets hard in run blocking, but does not bury them. Might be a muscle mass issue.
Fun clip of the year here: http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=259503&start=700&end=710
Edit: The above link is supposed to go automatically to the 7:00 mark, but you may have to jump there manually.
After reading way too much Hallmark trying to find an Anniversary card for my wife this week, the offensive line prospects according to Tour is my kind of literature. Thanks for all the passion and goodies you gave us here and throughout this thread.
-
You're welcome, Flugs... and don't forget Valentine's Day
...The sad thing is my wife and I can never find a decent restaurant without a 2-3 hour line on our anniversary. Everyone else in the country shows up to celebrate it with us.
So today, our 46th, we're just going to a movie with friends and have some popcorn.

-
You're welcome, Flugs... and don't forget Valentine's Day
...The sad thing is my wife and I can never find a decent restaurant without a 2-3 hour line on our anniversary. Everyone else in the country shows up to celebrate it with us.
So today, our 46th, we're just going to a movie with friends and have some popcorn.

The sad thing is my wife and I can never find a decent restaurant without a 2-3 hour line on our anniversary. Everyone else in the country shows up to celebrate it with us.
So today, our 46th, we're just going to a movie with friends and have some popcorn.

Congrats on 46....thats great!.....Were having a quiet day at home this year, but maybe the most appreciate Valentines day yet.....and I thought our 33 yrs were something else...

-
Jesus Christ, Tour... not only is this some fine work, but it really illustrates that I need to start making some time to watch more film.
-
Jesus Christ, Tour... not only is this some fine work, but it really illustrates that I need to start making some time to watch more film.
-
Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...
-
Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...
Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...
It's all just names usually. Who did something to get their name out there, that's who gets put at the top of early lists. PFF started doing college grades and a lot of the best players are no names.
-
Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...
It's all just names usually. Who did something to get their name out there, that's who gets put at the top of early lists. PFF started doing college grades and a lot of the best players are no names.
It's all just names usually. Who did something to get their name out there, that's who gets put at the top of early lists. PFF started doing college grades and a lot of the best players are no names.
Strength of opposition is probably a big factor in there though.
-
Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...
Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...
I'm watching him vs OSU now. Who is OSU's RDE? Not Bosa, he plays left the whole time. Either way, Stanley seems to be putting up pretty strong resistance, not really getting beaten in pass rush.
Run game seems less, as you say, nasty, and doesn't show a lot of 'hustle' to get out and block, especially when the QB takes off, he's just like 'fuck it, I can't do much, so why bother trying'.
-
Also, let's not get the Notre Dame QB. Guy looks horrible.
-
Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...
I'm watching him vs OSU now. Who is OSU's RDE? Not Bosa, he plays left the whole time. Either way, Stanley seems to be putting up pretty strong resistance, not really getting beaten in pass rush.
Run game seems less, as you say, nasty, and doesn't show a lot of 'hustle' to get out and block, especially when the QB takes off, he's just like 'fuck it, I can't do much, so why bother trying'.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login