Skip to content

Report Card Math

Barber Shop Talk
14 5 652
  • Here is my formula for giving out remuneration for good grades..

    A = 2

    B= 1

    C = 0

    D = -1

    F= -2

    Example

    Billy gets 2 A's 1 B 1C And a D.

    That equals 4.

    In grade school Billly gets 4 dollars

    In high school Billy gets $40 because you add one zero.

    In college you add two zeros so Billy gets $400.

    There you go !!

  • Interesting. I don't have kids, but interesting.

  • Chris we raised 5 boys and we had to have a formula. We were lucky enough to not have a kid in the negatives. But if so it goes...

    If Billy had a -3 and in high school he owes $30. Min wage is $9 rounded off.divide $9 by 2 is $4.50

    Billy owes $30 multiply ny 2 = $60

    He earns $4.50 and hour and pays off $60 by working around the house.

  • Yep, that's the negative aspect (no pun intended)! Though, a little hard work is probably good for them.

    On the whole, though, I'd say it should reflect expectations against reality, like if you have a super smart kid who gets straight As with little effort, versus a less 'gifted' kid who's maybe better in other areas, but works their ass off to get a C+, that kind of thing.

    Still, excellence should be acknowledged. Maybe like, at the start of the year, if you're predicted a grade and achieve it, 1 point, and for less, -1 per grade, and for more, +1 per grade? I don't know, never really put much thought in to it. Even so, if I do ever have kids, I still have about 10 years to get the system right 😉

  • If you want to be average it doesn't take too much effort. If you want money you have to work for it. If the student fails that means all the parents work is for nil and the kid must have a sense of accountability.

  • If you want to be average it doesn't take too much effort. If you want money you have to work for it. If the student fails that means all the parents work is for nil and the kid must have a sense of accountability.

    One Post From the Truth said:

    If you want to be average it doesn't take too much effort.

    It does for a lot of people. About half, in fact, are below average, kinda by definition, no? I'm not saying don't reward people who do well (this is starting to sound like a discussion for that board near the bottom), but be aware that doing well is relevant. I coasted through high school with mostly As and Bs. As my teacher once told my parents - I was in the top 2% for achievement and the bottom 2% for effort. Should I be rewarded more than someone who's top 2% for effort, but only around the 50% mark for achievement?

  • One Post From the Truth said:

    If you want to be average it doesn't take too much effort.

    It does for a lot of people. About half, in fact, are below average, kinda by definition, no? I'm not saying don't reward people who do well (this is starting to sound like a discussion for that board near the bottom), but be aware that doing well is relevant. I coasted through high school with mostly As and Bs. As my teacher once told my parents - I was in the top 2% for achievement and the bottom 2% for effort. Should I be rewarded more than someone who's top 2% for effort, but only around the 50% mark for achievement?

    @gftchris said:

    It does for a lot of people. About half, in fact, are below average, kinda by definition, no?

    Exactly....not many people realize that......1/2 the people in the world are below average intelligence....and almost 15% (nearly a billion) are dumb as a tree stump....

    Yet...our primary education system is basically set up to bring them all along equally....

  • One Post From the Truth said:

    If you want to be average it doesn't take too much effort.

    It does for a lot of people. About half, in fact, are below average, kinda by definition, no? I'm not saying don't reward people who do well (this is starting to sound like a discussion for that board near the bottom), but be aware that doing well is relevant. I coasted through high school with mostly As and Bs. As my teacher once told my parents - I was in the top 2% for achievement and the bottom 2% for effort. Should I be rewarded more than someone who's top 2% for effort, but only around the 50% mark for achievement?

    @gftchris said:

    It does for a lot of people. About half, in fact, are below average, kinda by definition, no? I'm not saying don't reward people who do well (this is starting to sound like a discussion for that board near the bottom), but be aware that doing well is relevant. I coasted through high school with mostly As and Bs. As my teacher once told my parents - I was in the top 2% for achievement and the bottom 2% for effort. Should I be rewarded more than someone who's top 2% for effort, but only around the 50% mark for achievement?

    If a kid does all of their homework they will do more than ok. Study the chapters and show up to school it's that easy.

    Children with learning disabilities I fully understand where you might be coming from but usually the ones that fail are lazy.

  • Three guys eat lunch at the clubhouse and the bill is 30 dollars. They each chip in 10 bucks. The waitress forgets to take off 5 bucks for the special. So she digs out 5 ones and the guys say, just give us 1 buck each back. She keeps two.

    So, if they each paid 9 dollars, she kept 2. Where did the other dollar go???

    9x3=27 + her 2 = 29.

  • Three guys eat lunch at the clubhouse and the bill is 30 dollars. They each chip in 10 bucks. The waitress forgets to take off 5 bucks for the special. So she digs out 5 ones and the guys say, just give us 1 buck each back. She keeps two.

    So, if they each paid 9 dollars, she kept 2. Where did the other dollar go???

    9x3=27 + her 2 = 29.

    @kvoethe said:

    Three guys eat lunch at the clubhouse and the bill is 30 dollars. They each chip in 10 bucks. The waitress forgets to take off 5 bucks for the special. So she digs out 5 ones and the guys say, just give us 1 buck each back. She keeps two.

    So, if they each paid 9 dollars, she kept 2. Where did the other dollar go???

    9x3=27 + her 2 = 29.

    Wrong maths. They each paid 9, correct, meaning there's 27 to go around. The two she keeps is subtracted to make 25, the new total. There's no missing dollar, the 30 dollar figure doesn't exist.

  • You can't mess with Chris. Lol. That's why I'd never disrespect him, he's too smart just let him be Chris.

  • You can't mess with Chris. Lol. That's why I'd never disrespect him, he's too smart just let him be Chris.

    One Post From the Truth said:

    You can't mess with Chris. Lol. That's why I'd never disrespect him, he's too smart just let him be Chris.

    Chris has a degree in mathematics 😉

  • Three guys eat lunch at the clubhouse and the bill is 30 dollars. They each chip in 10 bucks. The waitress forgets to take off 5 bucks for the special. So she digs out 5 ones and the guys say, just give us 1 buck each back. She keeps two.

    So, if they each paid 9 dollars, she kept 2. Where did the other dollar go???

    9x3=27 + her 2 = 29.

    @kvoethe said:

    Three guys eat lunch at the clubhouse and the bill is 30 dollars. They each chip in 10 bucks. The waitress forgets to take off 5 bucks for the special. So she digs out 5 ones and the guys say, just give us 1 buck each back. She keeps two.

    So, if they each paid 9 dollars, she kept 2. Where did the other dollar go???

    9x3=27 + her 2 = 29.

    ISIS?

  • @kvoethe said:

    Three guys eat lunch at the clubhouse and the bill is 30 dollars. They each chip in 10 bucks. The waitress forgets to take off 5 bucks for the special. So she digs out 5 ones and the guys say, just give us 1 buck each back. She keeps two.

    So, if they each paid 9 dollars, she kept 2. Where did the other dollar go???

    9x3=27 + her 2 = 29.

    ISIS?

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    ISIS?

    Congratulations, you can now work for fox news.