Skip to content

Camp Jack

The Browns Board
55 15 2.1k
  • Well, he's definitely not an edge rusher. No doubt about that, But he is effective against the run and led his team in TFL, all aginst the run. See's and shoots gaps well and, like I said, I see him as a 3 down backer, multi tool guy. Not a pass rush specialist. He's what we dont have, cause all our guys are "just" edge rushers, without any coverage or run skills or even the ability to tackle. I will say the consensus seems to be that he is better suited for a 4-3, so it's doubtful we'll be tapping him.....but, who ever does, I see him outside only. ASnd if hes undersized as an OLB, he's way undersized to play inside. Linemen will kill him.

    @mudfly said:

    Well, he's definitely not an edge rusher. No doubt about that, But he is effective against the run and led his team in TFL, all aginst the run. See's and shoots gaps well and, like I said, I see him as a 3 down backer, multi tool guy. Not a pass rush specialist. He's what we dont have, cause all our guys are "just" edge rushers, without any coverage or run skills or even the ability to tackle. I will say the consensus seems to be that he is better suited for a 4-3, so it's doubtful we'll be tapping him.....but, who ever does, I see him outside only. ASnd if hes undersized as an OLB, he's way undersized to play inside. Linemen will kill him.

    I think he can be very effective in a 4-3, he's got the ability to be an impact sideline-to-sideline defender and his coverage skills are as good as I've seen for a linebacker. I just don't see him making as big of an impact as a 3-4 ILB other than in passing situations. Struggles way too much to shed blockers to not be a liability on north-south runs.

  • @mudfly said:

    Well, he's definitely not an edge rusher. No doubt about that, But he is effective against the run and led his team in TFL, all aginst the run. See's and shoots gaps well and, like I said, I see him as a 3 down backer, multi tool guy. Not a pass rush specialist. He's what we dont have, cause all our guys are "just" edge rushers, without any coverage or run skills or even the ability to tackle. I will say the consensus seems to be that he is better suited for a 4-3, so it's doubtful we'll be tapping him.....but, who ever does, I see him outside only. ASnd if hes undersized as an OLB, he's way undersized to play inside. Linemen will kill him.

    I think he can be very effective in a 4-3, he's got the ability to be an impact sideline-to-sideline defender and his coverage skills are as good as I've seen for a linebacker. I just don't see him making as big of an impact as a 3-4 ILB other than in passing situations. Struggles way too much to shed blockers to not be a liability on north-south runs.

    @andeftw said:

    I think he can be very effective in a 4-3, he's got the ability to be an impact sideline-to-sideline defender and his coverage skills are as good as I've seen for a linebacker. I just don't see him making as big of an impact as a 3-4 ILB other than in passing situations. Struggles way too much to shed blockers to not be a liability on north-south runs.

    Right agreed....but thats also why I dont see him in the middle...he'd get gobbled up and then squashed....

    My NFL comparison would be Derrick Brooks or Rickey Jackson.....he's looks and plays EXACTLY like Brooks.....if he has that type of career, then the hoopla would be proven correct....I think he could get there.....

  • Brooks is a great potential comparable... if Jack can top 230 lbs. 😉

  • Yeah....he's an outside backer.....though, I think he's the type of player you can move around, including inside & safety....

    I see him primarily as a strong side replacement for Mingo, providing more coverage....allowing Orchard to move over and focus more on pass rush.....and those two would do much better than Mingo and Kruger in all phases, which includes defending the run game...

    Then....oh, every once in a while, we could let Kruger or Mingo come in and be designated rushers in certain situations, which is what they should be....not every down players....

    Tour....I think he actually could be 240.....look at his legs, each one has an extra 10# in it.... 😉

    @mudfly said:

    Yeah....he's an outside backer.....though, I think he's the type of player you can move around, including inside & safety....

    I see him primarily as a strong side replacement for Mingo, providing more coverage....allowing Orchard to move over and focus more on pass rush.....and those two would do much better than Mingo and Kruger in all phases, which includes defending the run game...

    Then....oh, every once in a while, we could let Kruger or Mingo come in and be designated rushers in certain situations, which is what they should be....not every down players....

    Tour....I think he actually could be 240.....look at his legs, each one has an extra 10# in it.... 😉

    Chances of using Orchard and Jack (in this example) as starting OLBs, then bringing Kruger in on 3rd downs to play 3-4 DE? Not sure how he'd do rushing inside.

  • The guy's too small to be either inside or outside in our 3-4. I've been saying for like 2 years now that we should have been running a 4-3 and had mingo as an OLB'er in that scheme. But we can't use the #2 on a guy that might have similar issues that mingo has had.

  • I never want to see an edge player ever again on this team that can't hold up at the point. Even if he's a god pass rusher.

  • As a SoCal guy, I'm the Forest Ranger in Camp Jack.......... Not at 2 though, but if we trade back a bit then HELL YEA!

  • We already have a high draft pick LB who gets swallowed up in the run game and was a great pass rusher in college.

    Stay away from Jack.. He's more Craig Powell than Kuechly or Miller.

  • We already have a high draft pick LB who gets swallowed up in the run game and was a great pass rusher in college.

    Stay away from Jack.. He's more Craig Powell than Kuechly or Miller.

    @unsympathetic said:

    We already have a high draft pick LB who gets swallowed up in the run game and was a great pass rusher in college.

    Stay away from Jack.. He's more Craig Powell than Kuechly or Miller.

    Mingo was a great pass rusher in college?

  • @unsympathetic said:

    We already have a high draft pick LB who gets swallowed up in the run game and was a great pass rusher in college.

    Stay away from Jack.. He's more Craig Powell than Kuechly or Miller.

    Mingo was a great pass rusher in college?

    @gftchris said:

    Mingo was a great pass rusher in college?

    wasn't he the best rusher in the SEC that year with LSU?

  • @gftchris said:

    Mingo was a great pass rusher in college?

    wasn't he the best rusher in the SEC that year with LSU?

    @clevfan4life said:

    wasn't he the best rusher in the SEC that year with LSU?

    I seem to remember him getting like five sacks or something. Am on my phone or I'd google.
  • Another one with a big Sophomore season whose "dedication" his next (and last) year was questionable?
    Mingo ................................................. Tackles
    Year . School ...... Conf Class Pos G Solo Ast T Loss Sk
    *2010 Louisiana State SEC FR DL 13 18 17 35 5.5 2.5
    *2011 Louisiana State SEC SO DL 14 21 25 46 15.0 8.0
    *2012 Louisiana State SEC JR DL 13 21 17 38 8.5 4.5
    Career Louisiana State ................. 60 59 119 29.0 15.0
  • We already have a high draft pick LB who gets swallowed up in the run game and was a great pass rusher in college.

    Stay away from Jack.. He's more Craig Powell than Kuechly or Miller.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Stay away from Jack.. He's more Craig Powell than Kuechly or Miller.

    Not even close. Have you seen him play with your own eyes? If yes, you need new eyes.

  • Won't be able to trade back. Dallas is really, really looking at him with the 4 pick,

    and his stock will rise at the combine.

    Posted Today, 05:20 AM

    http://www.nfl.com/d...jack?id=2555329

    So, if Kevin Hogan's new quick release lights it up at the combine, with all his skills,

    he won't be a mid round pick anymore. The Browns could trump everybody elses' plans,

    and get their qb at 32.

    I mean, how different would Hogan be then, from Wentz?

    Miles Jack is one of those rare players that doesn't come along often. With the wr's, te's and quarterbacks

    etc, that the Browns face in their division, Miles Jack would be a star pick.

  • Won't be able to trade back. Dallas is really, really looking at him with the 4 pick,

    and his stock will rise at the combine.

    Posted Today, 05:20 AM

    http://www.nfl.com/d...jack?id=2555329

    So, if Kevin Hogan's new quick release lights it up at the combine, with all his skills,

    he won't be a mid round pick anymore. The Browns could trump everybody elses' plans,

    and get their qb at 32.

    I mean, how different would Hogan be then, from Wentz?

    Miles Jack is one of those rare players that doesn't come along often. With the wr's, te's and quarterbacks

    etc, that the Browns face in their division, Miles Jack would be a star pick.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Won't be able to trade back. Dallas is really, really looking at him with the 4 pick,

    and his stock will rise at the combine.

    Posted Today, 05:20 AM

    http://www.nfl.com/d...jack?id=2555329

    So, if Kevin Hogan's new quick release lights it up at the combine, with all his skills,

    he won't be a mid round pick anymore. The Browns could trump everybody elses' plans,

    and get their qb at 32.

    I mean, how different would Hogan be then, from Wentz?

    Miles Jack is one of those rare players that doesn't come along often. With the wr's, te's and quarterbacks

    etc, that the Browns face in their division, Miles Jack would be a star pick.

    Play our cards right and maybe we pick up Jack at around #8 or so and then Hogan at say......................#22. Yeah, that should work really well! 😉

  • #22... don't jinx the draft this year, man....

    😡

  • @gftchris said:

    Mingo was a great pass rusher in college?

    wasn't he the best rusher in the SEC that year with LSU?

    @clevfan4life said:

    wasn't he the best rusher in the SEC that year with LSU?

    My memory on Mingo was that he was more potential due to his amazing athleticism, than a guy who put up great #'s....

    In defense of that pick, the whole first round sucked.....everyone got crap, not just us.....easily the worst draft year ever.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    wasn't he the best rusher in the SEC that year with LSU?

    My memory on Mingo was that he was more potential due to his amazing athleticism, than a guy who put up great #'s....

    In defense of that pick, the whole first round sucked.....everyone got crap, not just us.....easily the worst draft year ever.

    @mudfly said:

    My memory on Mingo was that he was more potential due to his amazing athleticism, than a guy who put up great #'s....

    In defense of that pick, the whole first round sucked.....everyone got crap, not just us.....easily the worst draft year ever.

    Yep, looking back there have been hardly any top players - fisher? joeckel? dion jordan?ej manuel? tavon austin? pass.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    wasn't he the best rusher in the SEC that year with LSU?

    My memory on Mingo was that he was more potential due to his amazing athleticism, than a guy who put up great #'s....

    In defense of that pick, the whole first round sucked.....everyone got crap, not just us.....easily the worst draft year ever.

    @mudfly said:

    My memory on Mingo was that he was more potential due to his amazing athleticism, than a guy who put up great #'s....

    Eight sacks and 15 TFL his Soph year...

  • @mudfly said:

    My memory on Mingo was that he was more potential due to his amazing athleticism, than a guy who put up great #'s....

    Eight sacks and 15 TFL his Soph year...

    @tour2ma said:

    Eight sacks and 15 TFL his Soph year...

    Yeah....a pretty good year(not amazing)....then a drop off....and a scouting report that said amazing athlete, but a poor finisher and no real signs of improvement year to year...(which is exactly what we got)