Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Risen Review

Risen Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
5 Posts 3 Posters 370 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Risen

    Columbia

    PG -13. 107 min

    Easter is upon us and with it, comes a holiday season much more somber Christmas. For most believers this is the seminal story of the origin of Christianity.

    It is also time for Hollywood to haul out variations on the theme.

    Just about every producer aims for a different angle on the same material and thankfully so. It's not like we don't already know the storyline and so far very few films have gotten ridiculous. I do say very few rather than none but you understand.

    RISEN revolves around a lesser-known time period than we are used to. Probably the most popular is the rise to fame, the betrayal and the crucifixion. For some reason we seem to skim past the three days before the resurrection. Not here.

    This time the hook, and an interesting one it is, concerns those three days.

    Rather than being interred with the others, the corpse of Jesus has been taken away to a private tomb, sealed, as we we recall, by a huge stone. Prophts have told the Hebrews that he will rise within three days and should this happen it will not bode well for their Roman captors.

    The Roman guards have a little too much wine or most likely slipped a celestial Mickey and in the morning of the third day lo and behold the stone is gone and the body vanished. Now Caesar himself is planning a trip to Judea to view the body and put to rest the superstitions of the Hebrew slaves. Pontius Pilate realizes without evidence his ass will be in a sling. I'm not sure that's the actual biblical verse but...

    The prefect enlists a stoic Roman detective Clavius (Joseph Feinnes) to find the body at any cost and he sets forth to question anyone who might have knowledge. Mary Magdalene and the disciples are all grilled but it's becoming clearer and clearer to Clavius that unless everyone is crazy or lying that the Savior might still be alive.

    Among the good things? The film looks wonderful, as Spain and Malta, I think, were used as locations. It's a very interesting angle on an often told story. On top of that Joseph Fiennes portrayal of Clavius is subdued but riveting and Cliff Curtis as the Nazarene has a charismatic sweetness that makes the role believable.

    The downside? The innovative plot isn't put together as well as it should have been as interview after interview with suspect lie a little bit flat. Even after Clavius has begun to believe in the prophecy it's not very exciting or captivating.

    I'm afraid I can't give it more than a slightly above average grade but for some reason I would recommend this one.

    Hedging my bets for a future meeting at the Pearly Gates? You decide.

    C+

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • One Post One PostO
      • 4k Posts
      • 284 Reputation
      One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I haven't seen the movie and some Christians will find flaws in their opinion when it comes to the crucifixion. Mainly because the first four books of the New Testament are synoptic meaning they tell the same story by four different witnesses. Maybe this is the verse in question mr Steve.

      Matt 27 1-2

      Oops Steve that isn't it. I'll find it later.

      https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
        • 39k Posts
        • 9k Reputation
        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Hey I'm just giving my opinion on a moving picture not posting of theological essay.

        🙂

        The only time I consulted my fundamentalist preacher friend about their religious film was NOAH.

        WSS

        WSS

        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
        One PostO 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • W Westside Steve

          Hey I'm just giving my opinion on a moving picture not posting of theological essay.

          🙂

          The only time I consulted my fundamentalist preacher friend about their religious film was NOAH.

          WSS

          WSS

          One Post One PostO
          • 4k Posts
          • 284 Reputation
          One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @westside-steve said:

          Hey I'm just giving my opinion on a moving picture not posting of theological essay.

          🙂

          The only time I consulted my fundamentalist preacher friend about their religious film was NOAH.

          WSS

          WSS

          I understand WSS. I was trying to remember the verse in question.
          https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 5k Posts
            • 306 Reputation
            B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I enjoyed it. The pace moved quickly, cinematography was excellent and I did feel overwhelmed by the religious nature of the plot.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

            Register Login
            Reply
            • Reply as topic
            Log in to reply
            • Oldest to Newest
            • Newest to Oldest
            • Most Votes


            Theme
            • System
            • Light
            • Dark
            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

            • First post
              Last post
            0
            • Forums
            • Recent
            • Popular
            • Users
            • Donate