Skip to content

Browns First round draft Busts

The Browns Board
16 5 403
  • The topic came up elsewhere, but I am giving it a separate treatment. Here are some of the worst of the worst of Browns first round draft busts. You are welcome to add to it:

    1995 Craig Powell LB played only 3 games with Browns, moved to Baltimore, only played 9 there.

    1988 Clifford Charlton. LB Started 1 game for the Browns. Did play in 30 others as backup.

    1987 Mike Junkin. LB Made only 7 starts for Browns. Played in only 15 NFL games.

    1979 Willis Adams. WR Made only 10 starts (but did play in 75 games.....a 2d stringer)

    1968 Marvin Upshaw DE Made only 10 starts for the Browns (but did have a long career with KC)

    1962 Leroy Jackson. RB played -0- games for Browns, only 15 for Washington. I believe he may have been a part of the Ernie Davis trade

    1955 Kurt Burris OC Did not play one game in the NFL.

    1954 Bobby Garrett #1 overall QB. Cut by the Browns in training camp. played in 9 NFL games with Green Bay, but no starts.

    In essence you could say that it would be a much shorter list to list successful Browns 1st rounders than their busts.

  • Or, perhaps let me do it this way: This is the Good, the Mediocre and the Ugly of Browns first round picks over the years:

    The Good:

    Jim Brown

    Paul Warfield

    Clay Matthews

    Joe Thomas

    Gary Collins

    Chip Banks

    Hanford Dixon

    Eric Metcalf

    Mike Pruitt

    Ozzie Newsome

    Clarence Scott

    Jim Houston

    Thom Darden

    Eric Turner

    Alex Mack

    Joe Haden

    Ken Konz (pro bowl DB from the 50s)

    The Mediocre:

    Doug Atkins...Hall of Famer, but for Bears, not Browns

    Ron Johnson.....traded to NYG

    Derrick Alexander....career mostly with other teams

    Gerard Warren....bust for Browns....mediocre for most of career with other teams

    Kameron Wimbley.....ditto

    Jeff Faine....traded to N.O.

    Bob Matheson....most of career in Miami

    Braylon Edwards.

    Mike Phipps

    Marvin Upshaw...most of career with KC

    Kellen Winslow II

    Steve Everitt

    Bob McKay

    Tim Couch

    Antonio Langham

    Charles White ....most of career with Rams

    Jim Shofner

    Preston Carpenter

    Phil Taylor

    Don Rogers...career cut short

    Ken Carpenter

    next post...the Bad/Ugly

  • The Ugly...Busts:

    Courtney Brown

    Rich Kreitling

    Tommy Vardell

    Mack Mitchell

    Robert Jackson (LB...not OG)

    Brandon Weeden

    William Green

    Pete Adams

    Barkevious Mingo....so far anyway

    Steve Holden

    Willis Adams

    Johnny Manziel

    Tom Hutchinson

    Leroy Jackson

    Bert Rechichar

    Justin Gilbert...so far anyway

    Clifford Charlton

    Mike Junkin

    Brady Quinn

    Craig Powell

    Bobby Garrett

    John Bauer

    Kurt Burris

    Harry Agannis

    There are far more members in the Ugly crown than in the other two: Good or mediocre.

    Out of 62 first round selections, I count only 17 that can be considered "Good" for the Browns anyway (a few good went elsewhere, like Atkins) That is only a 27.4 % success rate. Terrible in my opinion.

    Two players I did not include: Shelton/Erving....too soon to tell....but why, with the above track record, do I not like the chances for these two?

  • Let me repeat: Browns history of having a good first round draft pick: 27.4%.

  • Let me repeat - it's in the past. Let it go. 😡

  • Let me repeat - it's in the past. Let it go. 😡

    @calfoxwc said:

    Let me repeat - it's in the past. Let it go. 😡

    Repeat?

    You know what they say....those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

    The Brown have repeatedly made bad choices in the past with their draft....often by reaching for players because of "need".

  • Oh, it's true, Gip, but I don't see any dimwittedness in Hue.

    It's a new Hue era. He won't botch a first round pick in his HC career.

    and Farmer is gone.....I'm great with starting over smart, for the first time

    since '99. New Day Dawning ! We have met the enemy, and it isn't our

    own FO or coaching anymore !

    Things are lookin up, as long as we don't dwell on the miserable past.

  • Let me repeat: Browns history of having a good first round draft pick: 27.4%.

    @the-gipper said:

    Let me repeat: Browns history of having a good first round draft pick: 27.4%.

    I have no arguments with any of your selections.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Let me repeat - it's in the past. Let it go. 😡

    Gip beat me to it Cal. If we extended it to the "premium" picks- the first three rounds, It gets worse. Greg Little, Brian Slow-biski, Mohamed Massivedrop.

    Let's hope the new guys can bat better than .274. A lot of those "good" picks predate 1999. After that, it's been two. the Joes- Thomas and Haden. = 12.5%. The reason for suckage is obvious.

  • "Browns First round draft Busts"

    Is there enough internet bandwidth for this question?

  • Oh, it's true, Gip, but I don't see any dimwittedness in Hue.

    It's a new Hue era. He won't botch a first round pick in his HC career.

    and Farmer is gone.....I'm great with starting over smart, for the first time

    since '99. New Day Dawning ! We have met the enemy, and it isn't our

    own FO or coaching anymore !

    Things are lookin up, as long as we don't dwell on the miserable past.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Oh, it's true, Gip, but I don't see any dimwittedness in Hue.

    It's a new Hue era. He won't botch a first round pick in his HC career.

    and Farmer is gone.....I'm great with starting over smart, for the first time

    since '99. New Day Dawning ! We have met the enemy, and it isn't our

    own FO or coaching anymore !

    Things are lookin up, as long as we don't dwell on the miserable past.

    I hope you are right Pogo.

  • The Ugly...Busts:

    Courtney Brown

    Rich Kreitling

    Tommy Vardell

    Mack Mitchell

    Robert Jackson (LB...not OG)

    Brandon Weeden

    William Green

    Pete Adams

    Barkevious Mingo....so far anyway

    Steve Holden

    Willis Adams

    Johnny Manziel

    Tom Hutchinson

    Leroy Jackson

    Bert Rechichar

    Justin Gilbert...so far anyway

    Clifford Charlton

    Mike Junkin

    Brady Quinn

    Craig Powell

    Bobby Garrett

    John Bauer

    Kurt Burris

    Harry Agannis

    There are far more members in the Ugly crown than in the other two: Good or mediocre.

    Out of 62 first round selections, I count only 17 that can be considered "Good" for the Browns anyway (a few good went elsewhere, like Atkins) That is only a 27.4 % success rate. Terrible in my opinion.

    Two players I did not include: Shelton/Erving....too soon to tell....but why, with the above track record, do I not like the chances for these two?

    @the-gipper said:

    Out of 62 first round selections, I count only 17 that can be considered "Good" for the Browns anyway (a few good went elsewhere, like Atkins) That is only a 27.4 % success rate. Terrible in my opinion.

    I know we've had some really bad luck there....no dispute.....but I once read a great article that calculated the league average in the low 30's.....so we're not the only ones and probably just not as tuned into other teams picks....

  • @the-gipper said:

    Let me repeat: Browns history of having a good first round draft pick: 27.4%.

    I have no arguments with any of your selections.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Let me repeat - it's in the past. Let it go. 😡

    Gip beat me to it Cal. If we extended it to the "premium" picks- the first three rounds, It gets worse. Greg Little, Brian Slow-biski, Mohamed Massivedrop.

    Let's hope the new guys can bat better than .274. A lot of those "good" picks predate 1999. After that, it's been two. the Joes- Thomas and Haden. = 12.5%. The reason for suckage is obvious.

    @hoorta said:

    I have no arguments with any of your selections.

    Gip beat me to it Cal. If we extended it to the "premium" picks- the first three rounds, It gets worse. Greg Little, Brian Slow-biski, Mohamed Massivedrop.

    Let's hope the new guys can bat better than .274. A lot of those "good" picks predate 1999. After that, it's been two. the Joes- Thomas and Haden. = 12.5%. The reason for suckage is obvious.

    Well, I will include Mack, even though we will now lose him, so only Mack, Thomas, Haden can be put in the Good category, this century.

  • "Browns First round draft Busts"

    Is there enough internet bandwidth for this question?

    @d-bone said:

    "Browns First round draft Busts"

    Is there enough internet bandwidth for this question?

    Yes, but it is now all used up!

  • @the-gipper said:

    Out of 62 first round selections, I count only 17 that can be considered "Good" for the Browns anyway (a few good went elsewhere, like Atkins) That is only a 27.4 % success rate. Terrible in my opinion.

    I know we've had some really bad luck there....no dispute.....but I once read a great article that calculated the league average in the low 30's.....so we're not the only ones and probably just not as tuned into other teams picks....

    @mudfly said:

    I know we've had some really bad luck there....no dispute.....but I once read a great article that calculated the league average in the low 30's.....so we're not the only ones and probably just not as tuned into other teams picks....

    I haven't done it for any other team, or league wide. I would have predicted it to be somewhere in the 40 percentile range.

  • @mudfly said:

    I know we've had some really bad luck there....no dispute.....but I once read a great article that calculated the league average in the low 30's.....so we're not the only ones and probably just not as tuned into other teams picks....

    I haven't done it for any other team, or league wide. I would have predicted it to be somewhere in the 40 percentile range.

    @the-gipper said:

    I haven't done it for any other team, or league wide. I would have predicted it to be somewhere in the 40 percentile range.

    another interesting stat is only about 10% of first round picks ever even make a pro-bowl....so, while most teams hope for stars, they rarely get em.....and most pro-bowlers are not first round picks.....

    Examples from our last 11 pro bowlers, only 4 were 1st rd picks....Barnidge 5th rd, Cameron 4th rd, Gipson 5th rd, Cribbs udfa, Ward 2nd rd, Dawson UDFA, Gordon 2nd rd....

  • @the-gipper said:

    I haven't done it for any other team, or league wide. I would have predicted it to be somewhere in the 40 percentile range.

    another interesting stat is only about 10% of first round picks ever even make a pro-bowl....so, while most teams hope for stars, they rarely get em.....and most pro-bowlers are not first round picks.....

    Examples from our last 11 pro bowlers, only 4 were 1st rd picks....Barnidge 5th rd, Cameron 4th rd, Gipson 5th rd, Cribbs udfa, Ward 2nd rd, Dawson UDFA, Gordon 2nd rd....

    @mudfly said:

    another interesting stat is only about 10% of first round picks ever even make a pro-bowl....so, while most teams hope for stars, they rarely get em.....and most pro-bowlers are not first round picks.....

    Examples from our last 11 pro bowlers, only 4 were 1st rd picks....Barnidge 5th rd, Cameron 4th rd, Gipson 5th rd, Cribbs udfa, Ward 2nd rd, Dawson UDFA, Gordon 2nd rd....

    Gipson was a UDFA, not a 5th round pick.