Top 5 living Rock Icons
-
since 1973 Santana has won 10 grammys and been nominated for 14. Pretty impressive.
since 1989 Metallica has won 8 grammys and been nominated for 17. Total niche act.
since 1973 Santana has won 10 grammys and been nominated for 14. Pretty impressive.
since 1989 Metallica has won 8 grammys and been nominated for 17. Total niche act.
Ah...but two things: "Metallica" is certainly a well known brand name. But we weren't talking about Metallica. We are talking about individual icons. And David Hetfield's name isn't so well known as his band.
And yes, I have no doubt that in the category "Heavy Metal artists" Metallica would likely have won many Grammy's.
Metallica as a brand may come close to Santana. Hetfield as a brand does not come close to Santana.
And they both earn a debt of gratitude to Chuck Berry.
-
Tbh I've never heard of either, so if you're going for most well known, they both fall way, way short of someone like springsteen or paul mccartney.
-
since 1973 Santana has won 10 grammys and been nominated for 14. Pretty impressive.
since 1989 Metallica has won 8 grammys and been nominated for 17. Total niche act.
Ah...but two things: "Metallica" is certainly a well known brand name. But we weren't talking about Metallica. We are talking about individual icons. And David Hetfield's name isn't so well known as his band.
And yes, I have no doubt that in the category "Heavy Metal artists" Metallica would likely have won many Grammy's.
Metallica as a brand may come close to Santana. Hetfield as a brand does not come close to Santana.
And they both earn a debt of gratitude to Chuck Berry.
Ah...but two things: "Metallica" is certainly a well known brand name. But we weren't talking about Metallica. We are talking about individual icons. And David Hetfield's name isn't so well known as his band.
And yes, I have no doubt that in the category "Heavy Metal artists" Metallica would likely have won many Grammy's.
Metallica as a brand may come close to Santana. Hetfield as a brand does not come close to Santana.
And they both earn a debt of gratitude to Chuck Berry.
it is fair to say, as well that multiple Santana grammy's have been in niche categories such as 'Latin music' or 'World music". He did win best album for Supernatural in 99 which, in my opinion, was richly deserved. It was a fantastic album, but it did , to be fair, owe a debt other artists that featured on it, most notably Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20
-
gft, you've heard of Dave Grohl, yes?
-
Santana is undoubtably a Latin music icon but in the realm of larger 'rock' I don't know. Just being well known is not enough, to me. Billy Joel is incredibly well known with substantially more hits and better sales than Santana and I don't think I would call him a rock Icon either. I certainly like him quite a bit, Ive seen him twice in concert myself, but he's not a rock icon. He plays rock music. He's got a lot of hits. he sells a ton of shows. Rock Icon? I don't think so.
-
Santana is undoubtably a Latin music icon but in the realm of larger 'rock' I don't know. Just being well known is not enough, to me. Billy Joel is incredibly well known with substantially more hits and better sales than Santana and I don't think I would call him a rock Icon either. I certainly like him quite a bit, Ive seen him twice in concert myself, but he's not a rock icon. He plays rock music. He's got a lot of hits. he sells a ton of shows. Rock Icon? I don't think so.
Santana is undoubtably a Latin music icon but in the realm of larger 'rock' I don't know. Just being well known is not enough, to me. Billy Joel is incredibly well known with substantially more hits and better sales than Santana and I don't think I would call him a rock Icon either. I certainly like him quite a bit, Ive seen him twice in concert myself, but he's not a rock icon. He plays rock music. He's got a lot of hits. he sells a ton of shows. Rock Icon? I don't think so.
If you don't think Santana or Billy Joel are Icons....then you have no business trying to foist Dave/Dan/James Hatfield on us. Better luck with Grandpa McCoy.
I mean, I still get this image in my brain:

-
What is objective about any of this Gipp?
I know it can't be totally objective....but I think that there can be a fairly clear situation about who is more famous...if you will.
I mean, objectively....if I came up with some name that you had never heard of, I don't think that I could really have a claim that that is one of the most famous persons alive.
Would you argue against the proposition that Paul McCartney is one of the most famous persons alive?
I know it can't be totally objective....but I think that there can be a fairly clear situation about who is more famous...if you will.
I mean, objectively....if I came up with some name that you had never heard of, I don't think that I could really have a claim that that is one of the most famous persons alive.
Would you argue against the proposition that Paul McCartney is one of the most famous persons alive?
>>Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.>>
Maybe I took you literal, Gip, and thought you said that - by any objective measure - McCartney has to be #1.
Maybe I'm out lawyering the lawyer
Yes, I would say that McCartney is one of the most iconic Rock figures in the world. You can probably take 'Rock' out of the previous sentence.
-
Just to play devils advocate.....James Hetfield and Metallica play to a very select group that likes heavy metal rock and, while they are icons of that genre, there music really doesnt cross over much into groups that like other types of music...so, they have a fairly focused group of fans, that is about 30 years into listening to them....
Santana....however....has been doing it for 50 years and crosses several genres....rock, pop, latin, percussive.....they also have attracted more fans from different generations....and Carlos pretty much created his own genre that sounds like no one but him..... while, I think a lot of people would tell you that Metallica sounds like a million other bands(or vice versa) and definitely didnt create their own genre.....so, I know its all perspective, but I have to believe Santana has touched and influence way more people, in way more musical genres for way more time.....
Just to play devils advocate.....James Hetfield and Metallica play to a very select group that likes heavy metal rock and, while they are icons of that genre, there music really doesnt cross over much into groups that like other types of music...so, they have a fairly focused group of fans, that is about 30 years into listening to them....
Santana....however....has been doing it for 50 years and crosses several genres....rock, pop, latin, percussive.....they also have attracted more fans from different generations....and Carlos pretty much created his own genre that sounds like no one but him..... while, I think a lot of people would tell you that Metallica sounds like a million other bands(or vice versa) and definitely didnt create their own genre.....so, I know its all perspective, but I have to believe Santana has touched and influence way more people, in way more musical genres for way more time.....
agree....saw them perform right after woodstock.around 1970..".soul sacrifice"....yeah man....still like carlos today...have alot of his music...
-
I know it can't be totally objective....but I think that there can be a fairly clear situation about who is more famous...if you will.
I mean, objectively....if I came up with some name that you had never heard of, I don't think that I could really have a claim that that is one of the most famous persons alive.
Would you argue against the proposition that Paul McCartney is one of the most famous persons alive?
>>Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.>>
Maybe I took you literal, Gip, and thought you said that - by any objective measure - McCartney has to be #1.
Maybe I'm out lawyering the lawyer
Yes, I would say that McCartney is one of the most iconic Rock figures in the world. You can probably take 'Rock' out of the previous sentence.
>>Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.>>
Maybe I took you literal, Gip, and thought you said that - by any objective measure - McCartney has to be #1.
Maybe I'm out lawyering the lawyer
Not sure....if you would outlawyer me.
Let's put it this way: I would take his case for the #1 living Rock Idol over anyone else really.
Yes, I would say that McCartney is one of the most iconic Rock figures in the world. You can probably take 'Rock' out of the previous sentence.
Sure...anyone in any field. Who is more iconic...in any field? Good question.
-
Santana is undoubtably a Latin music icon but in the realm of larger 'rock' I don't know. Just being well known is not enough, to me. Billy Joel is incredibly well known with substantially more hits and better sales than Santana and I don't think I would call him a rock Icon either. I certainly like him quite a bit, Ive seen him twice in concert myself, but he's not a rock icon. He plays rock music. He's got a lot of hits. he sells a ton of shows. Rock Icon? I don't think so.
If you don't think Santana or Billy Joel are Icons....then you have no business trying to foist Dave/Dan/James Hatfield on us. Better luck with Grandpa McCoy.
I mean, I still get this image in my brain:

I don't like what you say, waaah. I don't know who dave Grohl is waaah. For a lawyer you are both a condescending douche, which is probably to be expected from someone in your profession, and also a baby, which us surprising. Both Grohl and Mettallica have earned their statuses. Both are every bit as or more successful as santana and billy Joel and the likes of them. You are stunted. It's like time stopped for you around 1978. Like it or not, these guys are now the elder statesmen of rock and they influence the younger generations of rock fans as much as they themselves were influenced by the likes of Led Zeppelin and the Beatles.If you don't think Santana or Billy Joel are Icons....then you have no business trying to foist Dave/Dan/James Hatfield on us. Better luck with Grandpa McCoy.
I mean, I still get this image in my brain:

Our friend across the pond there has never even heard of santana. That, to me, justifies my position on his iconic status.
-

You think these three guys would agree that dave grohl is a nobody?
-


I'm sure these guys would agree that he hasn't achieved iconic status
-
>>Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.>>
Maybe I took you literal, Gip, and thought you said that - by any objective measure - McCartney has to be #1.
Maybe I'm out lawyering the lawyer
Not sure....if you would outlawyer me.
Let's put it this way: I would take his case for the #1 living Rock Idol over anyone else really.
Yes, I would say that McCartney is one of the most iconic Rock figures in the world. You can probably take 'Rock' out of the previous sentence.
Sure...anyone in any field. Who is more iconic...in any field? Good question.
>>Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.>>
Maybe I took you literal, Gip, and thought you said that - by any objective measure - McCartney has to be #1.
Maybe I'm out lawyering the lawyer
Not sure....if you would outlawyer me.
Let's put it this way: I would take his case for the #1 living Rock Idol over anyone else really.
Yes, I would say that McCartney is one of the most iconic Rock figures in the world. You can probably take 'Rock' out of the previous sentence.
Sure...anyone in any field. Who is more iconic...in any field? Good question.
So you are voicing an opinion. This is based on subjectivity, not objectivity.
-
Who is more iconic than mccartney in any field?
Muhammad Ali?
-
Never heard of Santana?
Have you heard of Chuck Berry?
Not really.
Yes.
gft, you've heard of Dave Grohl, yes?
Yes, but I'm sure plenty of others have not. My parents for example.
On most iconic, you probably have to go across generations, and people like mccartney do that. the boss also. outside of them, in terms of *living* I'm not sure. maybe slash? probably ringo starr as well I suppose. brian may. ozzy osbourne will have to be in contention as well.
Maybe I have a british bias

-
Sure they should Chris. We're just talking about top 5, I think.
I figure if you ask everybody from 85 years old down to 15 the most recognized artists would be the ones you're looking for. If you just take 15 to 25 Katy Perry would be an icon.
One name we haven't mentioned is Madonna who I assume is known across the board.
WSS
-
Sure they should Chris. We're just talking about top 5, I think.
I figure if you ask everybody from 85 years old down to 15 the most recognized artists would be the ones you're looking for. If you just take 15 to 25 Katy Perry would be an icon.
One name we haven't mentioned is Madonna who I assume is known across the board.
WSS
Sure they should Chris. We're just talking about top 5, I think.
I figure if you ask everybody from 85 years old down to 15 the most recognized artists would be the ones you're looking for. If you just take 15 to 25 Katy Perry would be an icon.
One name we haven't mentioned is Madonna who I assume is known across the board.
WSS
Rock only - does she count? Maybe.
As for being in contention, I would argue ozzy (and his bat head biting and, well, iconic look) would have to be up there, rather than someone who was an excellent musician, but never really gained individual fame (such as people like jimmy paige and brian may).
-
No one mentioned Elton John who probably trumps most others
-
Yes. Good shout.
-
Why wouldn't Madonna or Katy Perry count in the Rock category?
Kenny G and Sun Ra are both jazz.
WSS
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login