Best modern guitarist
-
Oh I understand that. Who do you consider modern? What time period?
Guitar players are a different breed because every generation somebody Builds on the chops of the previous generation And So It Goes.
WSS
-
Say late 90s to now
-
http://greenlabel.com/sound/10-best-guitarists-right-now/
Well there is an excellent example. I'm a professional musician, have been all my life, and I have never heard of any of these guys.

WSS
-
I'm going to go with jack white -
By modern I mean somebody who's heyday wasn't 30+ years ago. This isn't a question about the hendrix, page, Clapton and van halen's of yesteryear. We all know they were/are great
By modern I mean somebody who's heyday wasn't 30+ years ago. This isn't a question about the hendrix, page, Clapton and van halen's of yesteryear. We all know they were/are great
OK.
-
My phrasing is mainly to dissuade Gipper from classifying van Halen as modern
My phrasing is mainly to dissuade Gipper from classifying van Halen as modern
To me, Van Halen would be modern....even by your definition.
So....let's ask this.....do any of the "modern" guys you may come up with measure up to Hendrix, Clapton, Townshend, Harrison...or Van Halen?
(and why has there been not much in the way of contribution to this thread...other than to discuss the "old" guy).
​ And you know what this guy said: Rock n Roll hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died.

-
My phrasing is mainly to dissuade Gipper from classifying van Halen as modern
To me, Van Halen would be modern....even by your definition.
So....let's ask this.....do any of the "modern" guys you may come up with measure up to Hendrix, Clapton, Townshend, Harrison...or Van Halen?
(and why has there been not much in the way of contribution to this thread...other than to discuss the "old" guy).
​ And you know what this guy said: Rock n Roll hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died.

Not to seem disloyal to my generation depending on what parameters you assign which would include technical virtuosity, I don't see how George Harrison or Eric Clapton make it onto the list. As opposed to Glen Campbell, Roy Clark Steve Vai, Al di Meola, Duane Allman, Warren Haynes etc etc.To me, Van Halen would be modern....even by your definition.
So....let's ask this.....do any of the "modern" guys you may come up with measure up to Hendrix, Clapton, Townshend, Harrison...or Van Halen?
(and why has there been not much in the way of contribution to this thread...other than to discuss the "old" guy).
​ And you know what this guy said: Rock n Roll hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died.

WSS
-
Do not hijack my thread
-
I'm going to go with jack whiteI'm going to go with jack white
-
Do not hijack my thread
Do not hijack my thread
No one seems all that interested in the topic....ergo it is ripe for hijacking. But actually I nuked it, not hijacked.
But....neverthelesws...go ahead....give your top 5 modern guitarists. You have the one. Who else?
-
Hey I listed 10 who are supposed to be hot, I've just never heard of them.
Maybe the youngsters have.
WSS
-
I didn't ask for top five and I posted it at 8 this morning. If you don't have anything to add and you can't speak on it why don't you go elsewhere and let sone other people decide if they do or can
-
Slash is 50 Gary Moore is 58, Steve Vai is 55
WSS
-
Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?
WSS
-
Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?
WSS
Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?
WSS
Auerbach is ok. Little black submarines has a nice jam at the end where he conjures up a bit of zeppelin esqe vibe. In terms of what music is these days he's way ahead of typical 3 chord power ballading. Jack white is way ahead of him though.
Slash can be argued as modern. He's still actively playing with myles Kennedy. I never put an age limit on it but I don't want to hear about guys who haven't put out a song since 1975.
Andy mckee though not well known is an amazing guitar player. I chose jack white as the greatest modern guitar player due to his talent and his pretty well known library. He even has an arguably iconic riff in 'seven nation army'
-
Another guy you may not have heard of, who has found great success with Dave Matthews, is Tim Reynolds.
-
Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
