Skip to content

Best modern guitarist

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
67 10 2.5k
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Hey I listed 10 who are supposed to be hot, I've just never heard of them.

    Maybe the youngsters have.

    WSS

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #16

    I didn't ask for top five and I posted it at 8 this morning. If you don't have anything to add and you can't speak on it why don't you go elsewhere and let sone other people decide if they do or can

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #17

    Im not super up to speed on modern guitarists and dont know if my guys would be considered "greatest", but a few of my favorites are.....

    Gary Moore

    Kim Thayil

    Slash

    Shane Fontaine

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Slash is 50 Gary Moore is 58, Steve Vai is 55

    WSS

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?

    WSS

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #20

    50 is the new 40.....which is young to an old fogey like me....

    .....at least I didnt say Keith Richards 😉

    How about Steveie Ray?.....he's eternally 36.....

  • Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?

    WSS

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @westside-steve said:

    Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?

    WSS

    Auerbach is ok. Little black submarines has a nice jam at the end where he conjures up a bit of zeppelin esqe vibe. In terms of what music is these days he's way ahead of typical 3 chord power ballading. Jack white is way ahead of him though.

    Slash can be argued as modern. He's still actively playing with myles Kennedy. I never put an age limit on it but I don't want to hear about guys who haven't put out a song since 1975.

    Andy mckee though not well known is an amazing guitar player. I chose jack white as the greatest modern guitar player due to his talent and his pretty well known library. He even has an arguably iconic riff in 'seven nation army'

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Another guy you may not have heard of, who has found great success with Dave Matthews, is Tim Reynolds.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type

  • I didn't ask for top five and I posted it at 8 this morning. If you don't have anything to add and you can't speak on it why don't you go elsewhere and let sone other people decide if they do or can

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #24

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I didn't ask for top five and I posted it at 8 this morning. If you don't have anything to add and you can't speak on it why don't you go elsewhere and let sone other people decide if they do or can

    Because this is a silly thread and deserves to be nuked.

    You asked for who the best guitarists of the last 25 years....yet you don't want anyone to list even like their top 5?

    Here are a few that I do know just off the top of my head.....and I am by no means an afficionado of current guitar players....just a few I have seen bits and pieces of:

    The local guy from Firestone High: Dan Auerbach

    Jack White (riff from Nine Mile nation or whatever that song is now a staple at sporting events)

    Derek Trucks...considered top blues guy

    Skrillex. ...don't know his shit, just know his name.

    What about Vai/Satriani/Bonnamassa.......I assumed these guys have been around too long to qualify for you.

  • Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @westside-steve said:

    Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?

    WSS

    Almost everyone but you.

  • Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type

    right. So you ask an esoteric question and expect everyone to be sympatico with your thought processes?

  • Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type

    Ah but that's always been the case. Hot guitar players very rarely make it into the radio sweetheart role.

    I don't think I've heard as many successors to the guitar thrown in the last 20 years as we did back a few decades ago. I'm sure there are still great ones, I'm just not aware.

    WSS

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type

    Ah but that's always been the case. Hot guitar players very rarely make it into the radio sweetheart role.

    I don't think I've heard as many successors to the guitar thrown in the last 20 years as we did back a few decades ago. I'm sure there are still great ones, I'm just not aware.

    WSS

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #28

    @westside-steve said:

    Ah but that's always been the case. Hot guitar players very rarely make it into the radio sweetheart role.

    Exactly.....probably some of the very best aren't even in a known band per se and could just be studio studs.....being a drummer, I would use Hal Blaine as an example.....he never was the drummer in a famous band and very few people(except us drummers) even know who he is....

    But....he is the most recorded drummer in history and even drummed on many albums for bands that had drummers.....just to make it right......including most of the hits from the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkle, Tony Bennet, Herb Alpert, John Denver, Barbara Striesand, The Monkees, The Supremes, Neil Diamond and hundreds of others.....

    A few of the songs he played on were Mr. Tamborine man....Monday Monday....I got you Babe...Strangers in the night....The way we were....Love will keep us together....Good Vibrations....Bridge over troubled waters.....and hundreds more...

    Same with Steve Gadd.....the best drummer EVER....yet, everyone is like....Steve who?......if you dont know him, think about that wicked opening shuffle on Paul Simons 50 ways to leave your lover.....or Steely Dans Aja.....or just about anything from Eric Clapton.....simply a drum god!

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    I didn't ask for top five and I posted it at 8 this morning. If you don't have anything to add and you can't speak on it why don't you go elsewhere and let sone other people decide if they do or can

    Because this is a silly thread and deserves to be nuked.

    You asked for who the best guitarists of the last 25 years....yet you don't want anyone to list even like their top 5?

    Here are a few that I do know just off the top of my head.....and I am by no means an afficionado of current guitar players....just a few I have seen bits and pieces of:

    The local guy from Firestone High: Dan Auerbach

    Jack White (riff from Nine Mile nation or whatever that song is now a staple at sporting events)

    Derek Trucks...considered top blues guy

    Skrillex. ...don't know his shit, just know his name.

    What about Vai/Satriani/Bonnamassa.......I assumed these guys have been around too long to qualify for you.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    Because this is a silly thread and deserves to be nuked.

    You asked for who the best guitarists of the last 25 years....yet you don't want anyone to list even like their top 5?

    Here are a few that I do know just off the top of my head.....and I am by no means an afficionado of current guitar players....just a few I have seen bits and pieces of:

    The local guy from Firestone High: Dan Auerbach

    Jack White (riff from Nine Mile nation or whatever that song is now a staple at sporting events)

    Derek Trucks...considered top blues guy

    Skrillex. ...don't know his shit, just know his name.

    What about Vai/Satriani/Bonnamassa.......I assumed these guys have been around too long to qualify for you.

    Jesus Gipper lawyer much? You can name as many as you want as long as they're not the sainted 60s and 70s guys. Even the van Halen heyday was 30 years ago. Just because you don't like a topic and it's not your idea doesn't make it stupid.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Kenny Wayne Sheppard is another and, somewhat surprisingly, john mayer.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #31

  • @the-gipper said:

    Because this is a silly thread and deserves to be nuked.

    You asked for who the best guitarists of the last 25 years....yet you don't want anyone to list even like their top 5?

    Here are a few that I do know just off the top of my head.....and I am by no means an afficionado of current guitar players....just a few I have seen bits and pieces of:

    The local guy from Firestone High: Dan Auerbach

    Jack White (riff from Nine Mile nation or whatever that song is now a staple at sporting events)

    Derek Trucks...considered top blues guy

    Skrillex. ...don't know his shit, just know his name.

    What about Vai/Satriani/Bonnamassa.......I assumed these guys have been around too long to qualify for you.

    Jesus Gipper lawyer much? You can name as many as you want as long as they're not the sainted 60s and 70s guys. Even the van Halen heyday was 30 years ago. Just because you don't like a topic and it's not your idea doesn't make it stupid.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Jesus Gipper lawyer much? You can name as many as you want as long as they're not the sainted 60s and 70s guys. Even the van Halen heyday was 30 years ago. Just because you don't like a topic and it's not your idea doesn't make it stupid.

    I didn't say it was stupid....I said it was silly because it was so esoteric. Nothing wrong with the question albeit very narrow. It just seems like you want to control the answers.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #33

    No I just want them to be in the last 25 years. I didn't shit on any answer you had that met the qualifications. We already know eddie van Halen is a virtuouso.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #34

    Mud I think there have been a string of flashy drummers over the years you stand out in the bands they are in. People might not know Hal Blaine or Steve Gadd, but they know Neil Peart Keith Moon Carl Palmer Ginger Baker Mitch Mitchell Etc. I'm sure there are newer guys.

    WSS