Skip to content

Top 5 Rock Icons...Whose career began post 1980

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
45 10 1.5k
  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Green day could easily be on this list if it were iconic bands from 80's forward but I don't think he himself I'd a string enough front man

    Agree. In terms of iconic rock bands then sure, green day were a driving force in the genre for a generation (taking over from nirvana).

    But for individuals, it's difficult to go with a single name. Grohl is probably as big an icon since that period. Maybe the Gallaghers from Oasis, but not the same league in terms of versatility and longevity. Flea from RHCP. Axl Rose I guess.

    Most of the more recent rock bands have been bands, not so much individuals, and the individuals haven't been so famous. Is the age of the iconic frontman - freddie mercury, eric clapton, phil collins, ozzy etc - over?

    @gftchris said:

    Flea from RHCP. Axl Rose I guess.

    Maybe not to the general public, but Chad Smith(RHCP) has also reached a fairly high level of icon status in drum circles......

    And at this stage of the game, Id pick Slash over Axl in a heart beat....iconic guitarist, still relevant and pretty successful with both Guns and Velvet Revolver....as well as guesting on a lot of other stuff.....

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Green day could easily be on this list if it were iconic bands from 80's forward but I don't think he himself I'd a string enough front man

    Agree. In terms of iconic rock bands then sure, green day were a driving force in the genre for a generation (taking over from nirvana).

    But for individuals, it's difficult to go with a single name. Grohl is probably as big an icon since that period. Maybe the Gallaghers from Oasis, but not the same league in terms of versatility and longevity. Flea from RHCP. Axl Rose I guess.

    Most of the more recent rock bands have been bands, not so much individuals, and the individuals haven't been so famous. Is the age of the iconic frontman - freddie mercury, eric clapton, phil collins, ozzy etc - over?

    @gftchris said:

    Agree. In terms of iconic rock bands then sure, green day were a driving force in the genre for a generation (taking over from nirvana).

    But for individuals, it's difficult to go with a single name. Grohl is probably as big an icon since that period. Maybe the Gallaghers from Oasis, but not the same league in terms of versatility and longevity. Flea from RHCP. Axl Rose I guess.

    Most of the more recent rock bands have been bands, not so much individuals, and the individuals haven't been so famous. Is the age of the iconic frontman - freddie mercury, eric clapton, phil collins, ozzy etc - over?

    I'd be tempted to say that kurt cobain was the last great rock star and that the corporate success they struggled with killed the rock star as we knew it.

    Grohl, in many ways, feels like a throwback to the good old days of rock in the 70's

  • right....possibly because the music industry has really changed with the death of regular radio - Mtv - and record distribution as we knew it....way less visibility for a lot of artists, then there used to be.....

  • So would you say, mud, that video killed the radio star? 😉

  • Country? Pop? I don't know but from the standpoint of a musical icon post 1980, you have to include Taylor Swift.

  • Jack White worth mentioning in any of this?

  • Country? Pop? I don't know but from the standpoint of a musical icon post 1980, you have to include Taylor Swift.

    @chicopee-john said:

    Country? Pop? I don't know but from the standpoint of a musical icon post 1980, you have to include Taylor Swift.

    I did mention her....as one of maybe a dozen candidates for my last spot.

  • Jack White worth mentioning in any of this?

    @gftchris said:

    Jack White worth mentioning in any of this?

    No, but Jack Black may be. 😮

    (School of Rock....so Iconic it became a Broadway Show!)

  • Jack Black, yes.

  • Jack Black, yes.

    @gftchris said:

    Jack Black, yes.

    Ah, uh, that was a joke, a play on names.

  • Jack White worth mentioning in any of this?

    @gftchris said:

    Jack White worth mentioning in any of this?

    I think so. I certainly have a high opinion of him. I put him atop my list of best modern guitar players

  • rock is rock (encompassing everything from classic to metal). disco was disco. hip hop is hip hop. rap is rap. country is country. pop is pop. house is house etc. etc.

    to say madonna is rock is like saying satan is jesus christ or kc and the sunshine band is metallica.

  • rock is rock (encompassing everything from classic to metal). disco was disco. hip hop is hip hop. rap is rap. country is country. pop is pop. house is house etc. etc.

    to say madonna is rock is like saying satan is jesus christ or kc and the sunshine band is metallica.

    @miktoxic said:

    to say madonna is rock is like saying satan is jesus christ or kc and the sunshine band is metallica.

    Actually, I liked KC and the Sunshine Band a lot more than Metallica.

    To me, Metallica is ship

  • rock is rock (encompassing everything from classic to metal). disco was disco. hip hop is hip hop. rap is rap. country is country. pop is pop. house is house etc. etc.

    to say madonna is rock is like saying satan is jesus christ or kc and the sunshine band is metallica.

    @miktoxic said:

    rock is rock (encompassing everything from classic to metal). disco was disco. hip hop is hip hop. rap is rap. country is country. pop is pop. house is house etc. etc.

    to say madonna is rock is like saying satan is jesus christ or kc and the sunshine band is metallica.

    Cherry, Apple, lemon meringue, key lime, sweet potato and Boston cream are all pie.

    And like it or not she's probably the number one icon in entertainment today.

    WSS

  • @miktoxic said:

    rock is rock (encompassing everything from classic to metal). disco was disco. hip hop is hip hop. rap is rap. country is country. pop is pop. house is house etc. etc.

    to say madonna is rock is like saying satan is jesus christ or kc and the sunshine band is metallica.

    Cherry, Apple, lemon meringue, key lime, sweet potato and Boston cream are all pie.

    And like it or not she's probably the number one icon in entertainment today.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Cherry, Apple, lemon meringue, key lime, sweet potato and Boston cream are all pie.

    And like it or not she's probably the number one icon in entertainment today.

    WSS

    Sorry you guys want to be stubborn but there are different genres of music just like there are different genres of movies. If anyone should know that it's you steve.

    madonna hasn't been the biggest of anything in a decade or two, unless of course you're talking vagina size, then i'm sure she ranks up there with the likes of vanessa del rio.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Cherry, Apple, lemon meringue, key lime, sweet potato and Boston cream are all pie.

    And like it or not she's probably the number one icon in entertainment today.

    WSS

    Sorry you guys want to be stubborn but there are different genres of music just like there are different genres of movies. If anyone should know that it's you steve.

    madonna hasn't been the biggest of anything in a decade or two, unless of course you're talking vagina size, then i'm sure she ranks up there with the likes of vanessa del rio.

    @miktoxic said:

    Sorry you guys want to be stubborn but there are different genres of music just like there are different genres of movies. If anyone should know that it's you steve.

    madonna hasn't been the biggest of anything in a decade or two, unless of course you're talking vagina size, then i'm sure she ranks up there with the likes of vanessa del rio.

    If I'm not mistaken she just set a new world record for her last tour. Stubborn? Look I don't care if you like her or not I don't care if you think it's rock music or not. She's the real deal.

    WSS

  • @miktoxic said:

    Sorry you guys want to be stubborn but there are different genres of music just like there are different genres of movies. If anyone should know that it's you steve.

    madonna hasn't been the biggest of anything in a decade or two, unless of course you're talking vagina size, then i'm sure she ranks up there with the likes of vanessa del rio.

    If I'm not mistaken she just set a new world record for her last tour. Stubborn? Look I don't care if you like her or not I don't care if you think it's rock music or not. She's the real deal.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I don't care I don't care

    WSS

    i'm getting to realize that about you.

    of course madonna is the real deal but she's not headlining a rock tour.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I don't care I don't care

    WSS

    i'm getting to realize that about you.

    of course madonna is the real deal but she's not headlining a rock tour.

    @miktoxic said:

    i'm getting to realize that about you.

    of course madonna is the real deal but she's not headlining a rock tour.

    Think what you like dude.

    Maybe you could scratch out a list of criteria, but I'm sure you can't so...

    Pop and rock crossover all the fucking time and always have.

    WSS

  • I used to fantasize about Madonna back in the 80's. However, I haven't aged and she has aged quite badly. I'd still take a BJ from her though.

  • I used to fantasize about Madonna back in the 80's. However, I haven't aged and she has aged quite badly. I'd still take a BJ from her though.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I used to fantasize about Madonna back in the 80's. However, I haven't aged and she has aged quite badly. I'd still take a BJ from her though.

    You'd probably take one from Elton John, too, Die.