Skip to content

RG3 Signs with the Browns

Locked The Browns Board
457 66 17.1k
  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    I feel like the two old Muppets up in the theatre box just crashed this thread.

    Z

  • One Post From the Truth said:

    I can't wait until RG3 lights em up this year. The "I told you so's" will be thrown.

    At least half of his yards will probably come on screens to Johnson, Coleman and Gordon. The Hue Jackson offense - run it often and get the ball out quick to your playmakers, and let them make plays.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @gftchris said:

    At least half of his yards will probably come on screens to Johnson, Coleman and Gordon. The Hue Jackson offense - run it often and get the ball out quick to your playmakers, and let them make plays.

    Not a thing wrong with that if you have the players to get it done....and I think we do.

    Griffin to Gordon....can they strike again:

  • I can't wait until RG3 lights em up this year. The "I told you so's" will be thrown.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    One Post From the Truth said:

    I can't wait until RG3 lights em up this year. The "I told you so's" will be thrown.

    I smell desperation...

    Zombo said:

    I feel like the two old Muppets up in the theatre box just crashed this thread.

    Which one is Waldorf?

  • I feel like the two old Muppets up in the theatre box just crashed this thread.

    Z

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    I feel like the two old Muppets up in the theatre box just crashed this thread.

    Z

    Yeah that's never happened around this place before...

    WSS

  • One Post From the Truth said:

    I can't wait until RG3 lights em up this year. The "I told you so's" will be thrown.

    He'll light em up from the stretcher as he is being taken out of the game maybe.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    He'll light em up from the stretcher as he is being taken out of the game maybe.

    RG3 fuck your boyfriend?

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by

    It's easier to be negative. He's just following his lazy streak.

  • It's easier to be negative. He's just following his lazy streak.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    One Post From the Truth said:

    It's easier to be negative lazy. He's just following his lazy negative streak.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    He'll light em up from the stretcher as he is being taken out of the game maybe.

    RG3 fuck your boyfriend?

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    RG3 fuck your boyfriend?

    I normally hate this, but not this time.

  • sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by

    RG3, Flash, Corey, Gary, Duke and Isaiah. for once i have more faith in the Browns playmakers than i do the line.

    if the o line plays well i predict this team will overachieve.

  • RG3, Flash, Corey, Gary, Duke and Isaiah. for once i have more faith in the Browns playmakers than i do the line.

    if the o line plays well i predict this team will overachieve.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @sisky-fringo said:

    RG3, Flash, Corey, Gary, Duke and Isaiah. for once i have more faith in the Browns playmakers than i do the line.

    if the o line plays well i predict this team will overachieve.

    Wishful thinking. But I wish the same.

  • Jiggy, option 3 Hue cans Josh McCown before the season starts so as not to cause his boy any anxiety like Johnny did to Brian Hoyer.

    WSS

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    Jiggy, option 3 Hue cans Josh McCown before the season starts so as not to cause his boy any anxiety like Johnny did to Brian Hoyer.

    WSS

    Steve, I'm afraid you're right, but I can see advantages of both sides. Keeping McCown obviously provides us with a "safety blanket" in case of RG III injury or ineffectiveness, and fans and coaches probably have a good feel for what McCown can provide. Many people I've talked to think RG III will have his hands full just WINNING the starting gig, as Josh is uber competitive and is somehow playing the best ball of his career. Yes, he holds onto the ball too long and he's FAR from perfect, but he's still pretty quick and has a solid arm. He's also able to digest NFL offenses quickly and players like him.

    We all know this isn't going to be an "even QB competition", and Toni Grossi recently reported that camp will start with RG III receiving 80% of the starting reps. If true, that tells us that the competition isn't fair to begin with. But should RG III falter, like MANY of the NFL pundits believe, Josh will be there to step in and start for us. However, I have also read that there is a thought that McCown won't be on our final roster come week 1. Either by trade or cut, people feel like McCown won't give us what we need and our team will be treading water. I can't really envision a scenario where we cut or trade McCown at THIS point. Not unless Cody blows up or RG III plays well above expected. It's not like he's expensive, and if RG III can't cut the mustard with Josh right behind him, is he really the guy for us?

    I also read another tidbit that basically said "not to sleep on Cody Kessler starting this season", but I think that's total crap. I don't believe for one second that our scouting guys and coaches saw a QB worthy of starting NFL games in his first year that nobody else saw. We drafted him in the 3rd round, ahead of just about where every single guru had him going, and I'd eat my shoes if Cody started ahead of either RG III or McCown.

    I desperately want to see RG III start the season and be effective. It would be terrific for our franchise to FINALLY have "the guy", and it'd be a great story of redemption. RG III is also VERY quick, and his mobility could be an awesome weapon...especially in the red zone.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Again I have to say that if RG3's psyche is too fragile to handle the "pressure" McC provides, then I want to know that and his NFL-readiness is approximately nil.

    And just to make this post even more different than my original I'll add that any comparison between RG3-McC and Hoyer-JFF is laughable. The pressure JFF and his fandom brought were orders of magnitude greater. Not making excuses for Hoyer, he folded and that's still on him, but the hoof beats behind him were greater... at least in CLE. HOU? No... not so much... yet he still did not handle it.

    Same in CLE now? Less pressure on RG3 here than WSH? I'd say so...

    As for Kessler in '16? Can't see him in the mix early, but if there is some there there, then no reason why it cannot be developed to be worthy of some regular season, playing time come November-ish.

  • Again I have to say that if RG3's psyche is too fragile to handle the "pressure" McC provides, then I want to know that and his NFL-readiness is approximately nil.

    And just to make this post even more different than my original I'll add that any comparison between RG3-McC and Hoyer-JFF is laughable. The pressure JFF and his fandom brought were orders of magnitude greater. Not making excuses for Hoyer, he folded and that's still on him, but the hoof beats behind him were greater... at least in CLE. HOU? No... not so much... yet he still did not handle it.

    Same in CLE now? Less pressure on RG3 here than WSH? I'd say so...

    As for Kessler in '16? Can't see him in the mix early, but if there is some there there, then no reason why it cannot be developed to be worthy of some regular season, playing time come November-ish.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Again I have to say that if RG3's psyche is too fragile to handle the "pressure" McC provides, then I want to know that and his NFL-readiness is approximately nil.

    And just to make this post even more different than my original I'll add that any comparison between RG3-McC and Hoyer-JFF is laughable. The pressure JFF and his fandom brought were orders of magnitude greater. Not making excuses for Hoyer, he folded and that's still on him, but the hoof beats behind him were greater... at least in CLE. HOU? No... not so much... yet he still did not handle it.

    Same in CLE now? Less pressure on RG3 here than WSH? I'd say so...

    As for Kessler in '16? Can't see him in the mix early, but if there is some there there, then no reason why it cannot be developed to be worthy of some regular season, playing time come November-ish.

    Well said! When you think about it, McCown came here with the complete opposite of pressure reading the Cleveland Browns had to be batshit nuts to take the guy that looked so awful in Tampa. I always liked the reply Pettine gave to that in my paraphrase here - we didn't sign the guy who played in Tampa - we signed the one who outplayed Jay Cutler in Chicago sporting the best passer ratings of his career. And, he was right. Believe it or not, McCown had elite passer ratings on 3rd downs for us for a while last year.

    On the other hand, when McCown went to Tampa after the best football of his career - he did not live up to the expectations that set forth. That's pretty much what set popular opinion about the maligned journey man coming here. I'm very pleased with McCown. My only beef with him especially at his age is stop trying to be Larry Csonka with taking on a LBer (ie Jets opener). I like heart and all but we were in the first quarter of game 1 in a 16 game season so common sense has to apply somewhat here. With the signing of RG3, all the expectation and pressure eludes McCown again here and I'll bet he loves that again in his own quiet way. Great insurance plan here IMO.

    RG3 was a rookie of the year in an offensive most compatible for him. Former CFL QBs that were only 6'0" tall carrying the stereotypes of weak arms, limited vision, and no experience in pro style offense included: Joe Theisman, Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia. Every one of those guys at least 2-3 Pro Bowls and QBed their NFL teams to multiple post seasons playing for offensive set-ups that played to their strengths. I'm guessing Hue can do this for RG3; BUT RG3 needs to prove he can stay healthy if Hue gets him out of the pocket a lot. There's 2 pretty brutal injuries in Washington as well as him blowing his knee out at Baylor once upon a time putting durability outside the pocket in question today. Right now, I'm reading and hearing they are working on getting RG3 to get rid of the ball quickly so I don't know how much of a mix on in-pocket and out--of-pocket passing we will see.

    Good point about the possibility of seeing the Kess in November. There hasn't been much written about him but those in charge liked him enough to draft him up in round 3. We shall see.

  • Neither love nor hate this addition. He's cheap if he's your starter. If they draft a QB with #2 I don't think that is a great idea. I would have preferred Kaerpernik over RGIII but the Browns are cheap.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by BaconHound

    @baconhound said:

    Neither love nor hate this addition. He's cheap if he's your starter. If they draft a QB with #2 I don't think that is a great idea. I would have preferred Kaerpernik over RGIII but the Browns are cheap.

    Still feel the same way as I did in March

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    Hate to rain on the parade.. but this is not good news.

  • Hate to rain on the parade.. but this is not good news.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    Hate to rain on the parade.. but this is not good news.

    Well, let's face it......if he doesn't cut the mustard.....the Browns...and we fans have not got much invested in him. So it could have been nothing ventured nothing gained....but we ventured and even if we gain nothing from it, we were no worse of than before.

    Then it will be back to the drawing board....and probably get a QB in the draft next year.

    By a lot of accounts, the QB talent available in next year's draft may be far superior to what was available this past year.

    (Plus....hey....Nick Foles is still out there)

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    The QB talent in next year's draft is always superior to this year's. Every year. Until about March, when all of a sudden it's not that inspiring, and *next* year is where it's at.

    But I agree with your sentiment - we roll with RG3, maybe Hue Jackson can turn him in to a legitimate (ish) QB, maybe not. If not, we're in a pretty good position to go get a guy in next year's draft.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    You go and you get talent - end of story. You don't fall ass backwards into a QB unless you're Bill Belichick. You don't luck your way into a mid round guy becoming your franchise savior.

    You go an you get talent. We went and we got talent. If he doesn't work, we go and we get more talent. The end.

  • You go and you get talent - end of story. You don't fall ass backwards into a QB unless you're Bill Belichick. You don't luck your way into a mid round guy becoming your franchise savior.

    You go an you get talent. We went and we got talent. If he doesn't work, we go and we get more talent. The end.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You go and you get talent - end of story. You don't fall ass backwards into a QB unless you're Bill Belichick. You don't luck your way into a mid round guy becoming your franchise savior.

    You go an you get talent. We went and we got talent. If he doesn't work, we go and we get more talent. The end.

    Of course different people have different views of what talent is. Our FO did NOT apparently think the likes of Goff....and particularly Wentz were all that talented....or they would have got them. Remember....they picked up Griffin knowing that they could possibly have a choice of one of those 2...and decided to go the RG way.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    I disagree - no qb would be worth forgetting the opportunity for the extra picks, assuming the draft picks

    pan out and make a big difference...

    when you have a lot of needs, and desperately need to upgrade your lb and wr

    positions.