Skip to content

Mingo adds 20 pounds in offseason to prepare for bigger role.

The Browns Board
26 18 1.4k
  • yeah we needed to keep that one under wraps cause chances are he took some stuff. I'm not sure I like him at 260 anyway. His strength is coverage. His pass rushing skills are best suited to blitzing, hitting the line with momentum. Trying to turn him into a guy that starts out at the line is a square peg round hole stuff. I can see 250 maybe while still retaining his speed and athleticism. Chances are at 260 he'll have lost a significant amount of his natural ability just for the sake of doing something he shouldn't be doing in the 1st place. He should be used as the weakside cover LB'er with the 5 tech shifted over to his side. OR...as I"ve been saying for awhile now...we should just have two DE's down in a 4-3 and have him as the 4-3 OLB'er. That way he can stay in the 240's and still be as fast and athletic as a Kam Chancelor.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @clevfan4life said:

    yeah we needed to keep that one under wraps cause chances are he took some stuff. I'm not sure I like him at 260 anyway. His strength is coverage. His pass rushing skills are best suited to blitzing, hitting the line with momentum. Trying to turn him into a guy that starts out at the line is a square peg round hole stuff. I can see 250 maybe while still retaining his speed and athleticism. Chances are at 260 he'll have lost a significant amount of his natural ability just for the sake of doing something he shouldn't be doing in the 1st place. He should be used as the weakside cover LB'er with the 5 tech shifted over to his side. OR...as I"ve been saying for awhile now...we should just have two DE's down in a 4-3 and have him as the 4-3 OLB'er. That way he can stay in the 240's and still be as fast and athletic as a Kam Chancelor.

    I disagree... Mingo is a natural pass rusher. He's shown he CAN cover, but he would be best as a 4-3 DE especially if he can get to/stay at 260. I think Horton sees him as a QB terror if he can gain weight and be on the field during "running downs." He has to be eager to get back to pass rush after spending 2 years playing in coverage

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Two thoughts:

    1. Trade bait to a 4-3 team.

    2. Wonder if he's ever been looked at as a TE?

  • sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by sisky fringo
    #23

    it would truly be great if the Browns started getting some high level production outta Mingo. M.I.N.G.O...or bustevious was his name-o.

    Bark and Bite...good catch Gipper, i like it.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    yeah we needed to keep that one under wraps cause chances are he took some stuff. I'm not sure I like him at 260 anyway. His strength is coverage. His pass rushing skills are best suited to blitzing, hitting the line with momentum. Trying to turn him into a guy that starts out at the line is a square peg round hole stuff. I can see 250 maybe while still retaining his speed and athleticism. Chances are at 260 he'll have lost a significant amount of his natural ability just for the sake of doing something he shouldn't be doing in the 1st place. He should be used as the weakside cover LB'er with the 5 tech shifted over to his side. OR...as I"ve been saying for awhile now...we should just have two DE's down in a 4-3 and have him as the 4-3 OLB'er. That way he can stay in the 240's and still be as fast and athletic as a Kam Chancelor.

    I disagree... Mingo is a natural pass rusher. He's shown he CAN cover, but he would be best as a 4-3 DE especially if he can get to/stay at 260. I think Horton sees him as a QB terror if he can gain weight and be on the field during "running downs." He has to be eager to get back to pass rush after spending 2 years playing in coverage

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @thenew23 said:

    I disagree... Mingo is a natural pass rusher. He's shown he CAN cover, but he would be best as a 4-3 DE especially if he can get to/stay at 260. I think Horton sees him as a QB terror if he can gain weight and be on the field during "running downs." He has to be eager to get back to pass rush after spending 2 years playing in coverage

    To me his pass rushing looks best as a blitzer who can delay his rush for a second and then choose an opening, or just go around the edge. He will never be an everydown 4-3 DE

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    What Mingo has desperately lacked, as well as many of our first round picks, is making BIG PLAYS. I honestly thought when he made his biggest play of his career, that we'd win that Broncos game, and he'd turn the corner. That interception against the damn Broncos should've lead us to victory. I don't need to remind people that we then did a freaking TOSS SWEEP with the slowest RB on the team, and we promptly lost 4 yards after he bobbled the toss. Game over.

    I don't remember other big plays from him, and that's what we need. Sacks are obviously great, and far too rare from him, but how about a sack-fumble? Something like that...something big when we desperately need it. Perhaps the muscle will help, as I can remember far too many times when he "blitzes" and he just gets swallowed up and never seen again.

  • What Mingo has desperately lacked, as well as many of our first round picks, is making BIG PLAYS. I honestly thought when he made his biggest play of his career, that we'd win that Broncos game, and he'd turn the corner. That interception against the damn Broncos should've lead us to victory. I don't need to remind people that we then did a freaking TOSS SWEEP with the slowest RB on the team, and we promptly lost 4 yards after he bobbled the toss. Game over.

    I don't remember other big plays from him, and that's what we need. Sacks are obviously great, and far too rare from him, but how about a sack-fumble? Something like that...something big when we desperately need it. Perhaps the muscle will help, as I can remember far too many times when he "blitzes" and he just gets swallowed up and never seen again.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @jiggins7919 said:

    What Mingo has desperately lacked, as well as many of our first round picks, is making BIG PLAYS. I honestly thought when he made his biggest play of his career, that we'd win that Broncos game, and he'd turn the corner. That interception against the damn Broncos should've lead us to victory. I don't need to remind people that we then did a freaking TOSS SWEEP with the slowest RB on the team, and we promptly lost 4 yards after he bobbled the toss. Game over.

    I don't remember other big plays from him, and that's what we need. Sacks are obviously great, and far too rare from him, but how about a sack-fumble? Something like that...something big when we desperately need it. Perhaps the muscle will help, as I can remember far too many times when he "blitzes" and he just gets swallowed up and never seen again.

    Mingo's blitzing was suspect at best. A lot of it had to do with his inability to convert speed to power, drop his pad level and push a guard back. His stunts suffered for it as well. Off the edge he obviously has a great first step, but much like Cooper if you're only using one trait to your game (speed) and not developing the rest, results will show negative. Barky's hand usage, secondary move and inside rips are still a huge work in progress.

    Weight is one thing, situational intelligence, form, intensity and outright violence are the others.