Skip to content

Analytics say........ GOFF over Wentz

The Browns Board
89 28 2.9k
  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Take a midol and come back when you are being rational.

    I hope you realize that every other team in the league uses analytics. The Browns are just now getting around to it. You act as if that is all they are going to use and none of the scouts or coaches will have input.

    Idiots fear what they can't comprehend.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Idiots fear what they can't comprehend.

    Or conversely jump right on the bandwagon.

    🙂

    WSS

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #63

    "Analytics" is not a single entity with one idea. That's very much like saying All Liberals Think (xyz) in politics.

    [Pro tip: Every time you see someone say All Liberals Think, whatever follows in the XYZ is guaranteed to be 100% pure bullshit. Deal with it.]

    The OP of this thread is NOT posting the collected gathered wisdom of all QB analysts who each have their own opinion on the Goff/Wentz discussion... rather, one ESPN analysis was posted. Thus, the title of the thread was incorrect. Instead of "Analytics says", a correct title would be "One analysis says"

    "Analytics" does not say anything on "its" own. Any analytics deliverable is the product of the analysts who create it.. thus, analytics is by its very nature quite nuanced. A leader then USES those analytics to support their conclusion.

    Hue Jackson has commented many times on the importance the Browns place on his input and loves him some analytics.

    "Analytics is just a part of it. It’s not the whole thing, but it’s a piece of it. Eventually, everybody’s going to be doing what we’re doing."

  • Paul and Brown could work as a gm combo if they have a stat sheet for a prospect's overall love of the game. Every gm has used anal licking from day 1. I wonder what the "new" slant this duo brings to studying stat sheets? I do take a little hope in the name combo. Good omen

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Paul and Brown could work as a gm combo if they have a stat sheet for a prospect's overall love of the game. Every gm has used anal licking from day 1. I wonder what the "new" slant this duo brings to studying stat sheets? I do take a little hope in the name combo. Good omen

    I saw that.

    And even Paul Brown wasn't infallible. He drafted Bobby Garrett.....#1 overall....but who could not call plays because of stuttering.

    And he traded away or let go of Len Dawson, Doug Atkins, Willie Davis, Henry Jordan, Dick LeBeau....all future HOF with other teams.

  • Jimmy Donovan reported tonight that as we approach draft day, the Tits are getting phone calls from some teams that want to trade up to #1. The two teams that were mentioned was San Fran and Philly. I'm not surprised by the niners, but didn't the Eagles just sign Bradford?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @canton-dawg said:

    Jimmy Donovan reported tonight that as we approach draft day, the Tits are getting phone calls from some teams that want to trade up to #1. The two teams that were mentioned was San Fran and Philly. I'm not surprised by the niners, but didn't the Eagles just sign Bradford?

    The Iggles are counting on Bradford as much as we're counting on RG III. Continuing with the Draft value chart, for the Niners or Eagles to jump us- It's this years first & second + next year's first- minimum. There's always the first overall pick and Quarterback premium to consider. The question is would the Titans want to move down that far and how much they value top guys that fill positions of need. Adios Tunsil, Ramsey, & Bosa.

    BTW, assuming we do get jumped and have both QBs rated equally- we just take the one they don't. The Browns do have the Ace in the Hole card. If they really want either Wentz or Goff, the Browns cost to move up one slot is the #32 pick. Browns get the guy they want, and the Titans can wheel & deal from #2, or take Tunsil. (I don't think Cleveland would do it, as the first pick on day two is really valuable) I really could see the Browns trading down out of #32.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Jimmy Donovan reported tonight that as we approach draft day, the Tits are getting phone calls from some teams that want to trade up to #1. The two teams that were mentioned was San Fran and Philly. I'm not surprised by the niners, but didn't the Eagles just sign Bradford?

    The Iggles are counting on Bradford as much as we're counting on RG III. Continuing with the Draft value chart, for the Niners or Eagles to jump us- It's this years first & second + next year's first- minimum. There's always the first overall pick and Quarterback premium to consider. The question is would the Titans want to move down that far and how much they value top guys that fill positions of need. Adios Tunsil, Ramsey, & Bosa.

    BTW, assuming we do get jumped and have both QBs rated equally- we just take the one they don't. The Browns do have the Ace in the Hole card. If they really want either Wentz or Goff, the Browns cost to move up one slot is the #32 pick. Browns get the guy they want, and the Titans can wheel & deal from #2, or take Tunsil. (I don't think Cleveland would do it, as the first pick on day two is really valuable) I really could see the Browns trading down out of #32.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @hoorta said:

    The Iggles are counting on Bradford as much as we're counting on RG III. Continuing with the Draft value chart, for the Niners or Eagles to jump us- It's this years first & second + next year's first- minimum. There's always the first overall pick and Quarterback premium to consider. The question is would the Titans want to move down that far and how much they value top guys that fill positions of need. Adios Tunsil, Ramsey, & Bosa.

    BTW, assuming we do get jumped and have both QBs rated equally- we just take the one they don't. The Browns do have the Ace in the Hole card. If they really want either Wentz or Goff, the Browns cost to move up one slot is the #32 pick. Browns get the guy they want, and the Titans can wheel & deal from #2, or take Tunsil. (I don't think Cleveland would do it, as the first pick on day two is really valuable) I really could see the Browns trading down out of #32.

    I would not like to see that. That #32 spot I view as almost another first round pick (which it would be but for the NE forfeiture of their pick). So, I want to keep our "second first round pick".

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Jimmy Donovan reported tonight that as we approach draft day, the Tits are getting phone calls from some teams that want to trade up to #1. The two teams that were mentioned was San Fran and Philly. I'm not surprised by the niners, but didn't the Eagles just sign Bradford?

    The Iggles are counting on Bradford as much as we're counting on RG III. Continuing with the Draft value chart, for the Niners or Eagles to jump us- It's this years first & second + next year's first- minimum. There's always the first overall pick and Quarterback premium to consider. The question is would the Titans want to move down that far and how much they value top guys that fill positions of need. Adios Tunsil, Ramsey, & Bosa.

    BTW, assuming we do get jumped and have both QBs rated equally- we just take the one they don't. The Browns do have the Ace in the Hole card. If they really want either Wentz or Goff, the Browns cost to move up one slot is the #32 pick. Browns get the guy they want, and the Titans can wheel & deal from #2, or take Tunsil. (I don't think Cleveland would do it, as the first pick on day two is really valuable) I really could see the Browns trading down out of #32.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @hoorta said:

    The Iggles are counting on Bradford as much as we're counting on RG III. Continuing with the Draft value chart, for the Niners or Eagles to jump us- It's this years first & second + next year's first- minimum. There's always the first overall pick and Quarterback premium to consider. The question is would the Titans want to move down that far and how much they value top guys that fill positions of need. Adios Tunsil, Ramsey, & Bosa.

    BTW, assuming we do get jumped and have both QBs rated equally- we just take the one they don't. The Browns do have the Ace in the Hole card. If they really want either Wentz or Goff, the Browns cost to move up one slot is the #32 pick. Browns get the guy they want, and the Titans can wheel & deal from #2, or take Tunsil. (I don't think Cleveland would do it, as the first pick on day two is really valuable) I really could see the Browns trading down out of #32.

    Philly has no 2nd rounder this year & that HAS to be a trade up killer for them. They would literally have to give up the farm to get to #1 OR #2. Just my opinion.

    Mike

  • @hoorta said:

    The Iggles are counting on Bradford as much as we're counting on RG III. Continuing with the Draft value chart, for the Niners or Eagles to jump us- It's this years first & second + next year's first- minimum. There's always the first overall pick and Quarterback premium to consider. The question is would the Titans want to move down that far and how much they value top guys that fill positions of need. Adios Tunsil, Ramsey, & Bosa.

    BTW, assuming we do get jumped and have both QBs rated equally- we just take the one they don't. The Browns do have the Ace in the Hole card. If they really want either Wentz or Goff, the Browns cost to move up one slot is the #32 pick. Browns get the guy they want, and the Titans can wheel & deal from #2, or take Tunsil. (I don't think Cleveland would do it, as the first pick on day two is really valuable) I really could see the Browns trading down out of #32.

    Philly has no 2nd rounder this year & that HAS to be a trade up killer for them. They would literally have to give up the farm to get to #1 OR #2. Just my opinion.

    Mike

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @canton-mike said:

    Philly has no 2nd rounder this year & that HAS to be a trade up killer for them. They would literally have to give up the farm to get to #1 OR #2. Just my opinion.

    Mike

    Thanks Mike, didn't realize that. Yup- it would cost Philly three firsts, this years first and next years 1st & 2nd, or do a Ditka, and offer the entire 2016 draft. The other trade to #1 I've been hearing is the Rams- and their first @ #15, and both seconds isn't enough ammunition IMHO.

    That leaves Dallas or the 49ers as the only realistic teams that may want to trade up for a quarterback.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Idiots fear what they can't comprehend.

    Or conversely jump right on the bandwagon.

    🙂

    WSS

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @westside-steve said:

    Or conversely jump right on the bandwagon.

    🙂

    WSS

    Considering I've been preaching about using analytics to make more informed decisions for, oh, 7 years...I'd say that bandwagon jumped on me.

  • @nickers said:

    If this team of assholes needs "anal litticks".. were in trouble.. lol!.. It's like saying " Ok if we fuck up" we can blame this math/system because were too egg head stupid to use our eyes in the first place'.. LAME!

    Take a midol and come back when you are being rational.

    I hope you realize that every other team in the league uses analytics. The Browns are just now getting around to it. You act as if that is all they are going to use and none of the scouts or coaches will have input.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Take a midol and come back when you are being rational.

    I hope you realize that every other team in the league uses analytics. The Browns are just now getting around to it. You act as if that is all they are going to use and none of the scouts or coaches will have input.

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Take a midol and come back when you are being rational.

    I hope you realize that every other team in the league uses analytics. The Browns are just now getting around to it. You act as if that is all they are going to use and none of the scouts or coaches will have input.

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @nickers said:

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    This is now one of the fucking dumbest things I've read.

  • @nickers said:

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    This is now one of the fucking dumbest things I've read.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    This is now one of the fucking dumbest things I've read.

    We understand your mentally incapacitated.. If its too hard to understand.. Try reading Dr. Seuss..

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Take a midol and come back when you are being rational.

    I hope you realize that every other team in the league uses analytics. The Browns are just now getting around to it. You act as if that is all they are going to use and none of the scouts or coaches will have input.

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @nickers said:

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    They do. Just like every other team.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Take a midol and come back when you are being rational.

    I hope you realize that every other team in the league uses analytics. The Browns are just now getting around to it. You act as if that is all they are going to use and none of the scouts or coaches will have input.

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @nickers said:

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

  • @nickers said:

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @the-gipper said:

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

    So it gives us absolutely zero advantage, correct?

    WSS

  • @nickers said:

    I don't think the Steelers use Anal-litticks.. they have a guy in Kevin Colbert who knows how to draft...

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @the-gipper said:

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

    That may be true.. I however don't trust the fortunes of this team in the hands of bean counters with 0 experience or track record.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

    That may be true.. I however don't trust the fortunes of this team in the hands of bean counters with 0 experience or track record.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #77

    @nickers said:

    That may be true.. I however don't trust the fortunes of this team in the hands of bean counters with 0 experience or track record.

    The so called "professionals" in the player evaluation area that we have had in the past have not had a stellar record.....so I don't mistrust these guys any more than I would those guys.

    Beyond that.....you HaVE NO Choice in the matter. These are the guys the owner has entrusted this task to, so you will have to live with it. Your trust is a non-essential factor.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

    So it gives us absolutely zero advantage, correct?

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @westside-steve said:

    So it gives us absolutely zero advantage, correct?

    WSS

    It remains to be seen.

    Fair to say?

  • @the-gipper said:

    You would be dead wrong about that, I am certain. All sports team....including NFL drafting use analytics. They just haven't pronounced it as openly as the Browns.

    So it gives us absolutely zero advantage, correct?

    WSS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #79

    @westside-steve said:

    So it gives us absolutely zero advantage, correct?

    That depends on how accurate our analytics are...

    Two things are going to vary from team-to-team:

    • the exact nature of the tools they develop (number, complexity, precision), and
    • the weight given the results in the decision process.

    Our goals are to take both to new heights in the NFL.

  • @westside-steve said:

    So it gives us absolutely zero advantage, correct?

    That depends on how accurate our analytics are...

    Two things are going to vary from team-to-team:

    • the exact nature of the tools they develop (number, complexity, precision), and
    • the weight given the results in the decision process.

    Our goals are to take both to new heights in the NFL.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @tour2ma said:

    That depends on how accurate our analytics are...

    Two things are going to vary from team-to-team:

    • the exact nature of the tools they develop (number, complexity, precision), and
    • the weight given the results in the decision process.
    Our goals are to take both to new heights in the NFL.

    I think that's the goal of 31 other teams too. We shall see.

    And if the Cleveland Browns are the last to jump on this amazing new method we will have a lot of ground to cover. By then Professor Harold Hill will have a brand new strategy with which to impress Dee Haslam.

    🙂

    WSS

  • @tour2ma said:

    That depends on how accurate our analytics are...

    Two things are going to vary from team-to-team:

    • the exact nature of the tools they develop (number, complexity, precision), and
    • the weight given the results in the decision process.
    Our goals are to take both to new heights in the NFL.

    I think that's the goal of 31 other teams too. We shall see.

    And if the Cleveland Browns are the last to jump on this amazing new method we will have a lot of ground to cover. By then Professor Harold Hill will have a brand new strategy with which to impress Dee Haslam.

    🙂

    WSS

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @westside-steve said:

    I think that's the goal of 31 other teams too. We shall see.

    And if the Cleveland Browns are the last to jump on this amazing new method we will have a lot of ground to cover. By then Professor Harold Hill will have a brand new strategy with which to impress Dee Haslam.

    🙂

    WSS

    Judging by all of the comments about how we're doing things completely differently, and how unorthodox our new system is, I highly doubt we're playing catch up.