Pre Draft Data Dump Running Backs
-
Some say that the Browns should even consider taking Ezekiel Elliot with the #2 pick. I doubt that is going to happen. But, lets say they would consider trading down to #4 or 5...and getting him there. Vastly remote......but lets look at the RBs since 1970 who have been taken with the Top 5 picks of the draft:
1201213Trent RichardsonRB22CLE201220140031746376142032171139122AlabamaCollege Stats
2200814Darren McFaddenRB21OAK20082015004399973127753362825120975ArkansasCollege Stats
3200612Reggie BushRB21NOR2006201500860121961274549335470350818USCCollege Stats
4200512Ronnie BrownRB23MIA200520140154113274128153913824619662AuburnCollege Stats
5200514Cedric BensonRB22CHI2005201200534967116006017321208331TexasCollege Stats
6200515Cadillac WilliamsRB23TAM20052011004268158105540382114810024AuburnCollege Stats
7200115LaDainian TomlinsonRB22SDG200120113510128170155317413684145624477217TCUCollege
8200015Jamal LewisRB21BAL20002009119711311262542106075822118794TennesseeCollege Stats
9199914Edgerrin JamesRB21IND1999200914811414813530281224680433336411Miami (FL)College Stats
10199915Ricky WilliamsRB22NOR1999201111576147832431100096634226068TexasCollege Stats
11199815Curtis EnisRB22CHI1998200000110361845614974594282Penn St.College Stats
12199511Ki-Jana CarterRB21CIN19962004000125914319114420664691Penn St.College Stats
13199412Marshall Faulk HOFRB21IND199420053711133176156283612279100767687536San Diego St.College Stats
14199313Garrison HearstRB22PHO1993200402771126105183179663022920659GeorgiaCollege Stats
15199012Blair ThomasRB22NYJ1990199500320643653322367715132Penn St.College Stats
16198913Barry Sanders HOFRB21DET198919986101012015315130621526999352292110Oklahoma St.College Stats
17198713Alonzo HighsmithRB22HOU1987199200212654228311957424283Miami (FL)College Stats
18198714Brent FullwoodRB23GNB19871990012134630433170218443701AuburnCollege Stats
19198611Bo JacksonRB23TAM19871990013223823515278216403522AuburnCollege Stats
20198312Eric Dickerson HOFRB23RAM198319935610911461362996132599028121376SMUCollege Stats
21198313Curt WarnerRB22SEA198319900366010094169868445619314677Penn St.College Stats
22198111George RogersRB22NOR198119871264692781692717654553680South CarolinaCollege Stats
23198113Freeman McNeilRB22NYJ1981199213878144971798807438295296112UCLACollege Stats
24198011Billy SimsRB24DET19801984035586058113151064218620725OklahomaCollege Stats
25198015Curtis DickeyRB23BAL1980198600538856193740193213415778Texas A&MCollege Stats
26197811Earl Campbell HOFRB23HOU197819853576811510221879407741218060TexasCollege Stats
27197815Terry MillerRB22BUF1978198100216483239115838353820Oklahoma St.College Stats
28197711Ricky BellRB22TAM19771982004246450822306316978423USCCollege Stats
29197712Tony Dorsett HOFRB23DAL19771988141110817315229361273977398355413PittsburghCollege
30197613Chuck MuncieRB23NOR197619840377211092156167027126323233CaliforniaCollege Stats
31197614Joe WashingtonRB22SDG1977198501457119531195483912395341318OklahomaCollege Stats
32197514Walter Payton HOFRB21CHI197519875913128190184383816726110492453815Jackson St.
33197412Bo MatthewsRB22SDG197419810031310139424156611754880ColoradoCollege Stats
The ones in Red I think were pretty much busts. The ones in Green were borderline.
-
Gip, if you're feeling like you have the time, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the players elected to the pro-bowl, by position, and what round the were drafted in (if at all). Say, over the last ten years, 60-70 pro-bowl quarterbacks (lots of repeats probably), and how many were in the top 5 picks, top 20, top 50, whatever.
If not, don't worry, I *may* get around to it myself.
-
Note the devaluation in the RB position: In the last 10 years only two RBs have been taken Top 5.....one a complete bust, the other borderline. Compare the 70s/80s....where a Top 5 RB was taken nearly every year.
Oh, and don't draft a Penn St. RB high. It spells disaster.
However, the "Bust rate" for RBs overall since 1970 is less than at most other positions. Less than a third of RBs busted........where we saw 50% figures for like QBs and DEs.
The "turn of the century" saw some good ones: James/LDT/Lewis/Williams (ultimately a good RB despite a rough start)
But since then....very, very spotty.
-
Gip, if you're feeling like you have the time, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the players elected to the pro-bowl, by position, and what round the were drafted in (if at all). Say, over the last ten years, 60-70 pro-bowl quarterbacks (lots of repeats probably), and how many were in the top 5 picks, top 20, top 50, whatever.
If not, don't worry, I *may* get around to it myself.
Gip, if you're feeling like you have the time, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the players elected to the pro-bowl, by position, and what round the were drafted in (if at all). Say, over the last ten years, 60-70 pro-bowl quarterbacks (lots of repeats probably), and how many were in the top 5 picks, top 20, top 50, whatever.
If not, don't worry, I *may* get around to it myself.
Well, I may get around to that......but I did do something with the RBs. Since 1970 here are the number of Pro Bowl RBs drafted in each round:
1st: 69
2d: 34
3rd: 15
4th: 13
5th: 12
6th: 10
7th: 5
8th: 2
9th: 3
10th: 2 (including Ernest Byner)
For what that's worth.
-
Gip, if you're feeling like you have the time, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the players elected to the pro-bowl, by position, and what round the were drafted in (if at all). Say, over the last ten years, 60-70 pro-bowl quarterbacks (lots of repeats probably), and how many were in the top 5 picks, top 20, top 50, whatever.
If not, don't worry, I *may* get around to it myself.
Gip, if you're feeling like you have the time, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the players elected to the pro-bowl, by position, and what round the were drafted in (if at all). Say, over the last ten years, 60-70 pro-bowl quarterbacks (lots of repeats probably), and how many were in the top 5 picks, top 20, top 50, whatever.
If not, don't worry, I *may* get around to it myself.
I will start a new thread on this.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login