Skip to content

If the Browns moved again but kept the Browns name, would you still be a fan?

The Browns Board
22 17 822
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    The Cleveland Browns were moved, All the heritage, all the accomplishments were connected to that group of players.

    Really? I mean, we are supposed to wax nostalgic about Craig Powell, Eric Zaire and Matt Stover? Except for Stover they would have all been gone as Browns players in a years time anyway.

  • No, and it won't happen anytime soon. The lease isn't up until 2028- and it has a specific performance rider in it. Means the Browns are here at least until then.

    BTW, if Modell had managed to keep the name and we we're looking at the Baltimore Browns- I would have officially been done with the NFL.

    Reports I'm getting from relatives in St. Louis is 99% of them are done following the Rams, and were way done with the Cardinals. Speaking of- at least Cleveland retained an NFL franchise. I doubt we're going to see another NFL team in St Louis in our lifetime. They've already lost the Cardinals and Rams. The city just seems to attract Carpetbagger owners,

    LOL, if you can find me 10 people that were original Cardinals fans in Chicago- and still follow the team, I'd be surprised.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @hoorta said:

    No, and it won't happen anytime soon. The lease isn't up until 2028- and it has a specific performance rider in it. Means the Browns are here at least until then.

    BTW, if Modell had managed to keep the name and we we're looking at the Baltimore Browns- I would have officially been done with the NFL.

    Reports I'm getting from relatives in St. Louis is 99% of them are done following the Rams, and were way done with the Cardinals. Speaking of- at least Cleveland retained an NFL franchise. I doubt we're going to see another NFL team in St Louis in our lifetime. They've already lost the Cardinals and Rams. The city just seems to attract Carpetbagger owners,

    LOL, if you can find me 10 people that were original Cardinals fans in Chicago- and still follow the team, I'd be surprised.

    Look man, I hope what I'm saying is 100% wrong but hear me out. 2028 is only about a decade away, and in that time frame I am certain a formal expansion to a place like London will be on the books. If we have another dreadful decade of football, the already dwindling "millennial" fan base will be that much smaller. I'm a Browns fan until the very end, but I can't say I blame people for not caring/supporting the team less each year. In addition, not to sound like a brash asshole but 12 or so years is also a lot of time where older fans may either be unable to attend games or are no longer with us. I truthfully the "tradition" of the Browns has carried the team (holy shit I'm agreeing with Ghoolie), but my generation doesn't have that sentiment like older folks do.

    I think there's 2-3 other teams (Jags, Raiders for sure) that may be above the Browns in terms of jumping ship, but I'd be lying to you if it isn't something I always have in the back of my mind. However, if the browns just friking play above average football fans will come in droves.

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #13

    London is calling!!!

    All though the London Browns sounds like part of the song "London Bridge is falling down"

    Have to trade in your brewskis for a warm earl grey

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I live in London and would hate that. New franchise or no franchise. Preferably no franchise - this is american football, it's the National Football League, not international. If they base a team here it will be purely because of rampant money grabbing and that sucks.

    I'd rather see the european league started up as a 'minor league' version, over the summer (the soccer offseason).

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #15

    No

    And i wouldn't be a fan if a team from somewhere else moved to Cleveland.

  • I live in London and would hate that. New franchise or no franchise. Preferably no franchise - this is american football, it's the National Football League, not international. If they base a team here it will be purely because of rampant money grabbing and that sucks.

    I'd rather see the european league started up as a 'minor league' version, over the summer (the soccer offseason).

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @gftchris said:

    I live in London and would hate that. New franchise or no franchise. Preferably no franchise - this is american football, it's the National Football League, not international. If they base a team here it will be purely because of rampant money grabbing and that sucks.

    When has the NFL been about anything but that? Not since the 50s.

    I'd rather see the european league started up as a 'minor league' version, over the summer (the soccer offseason).

    They did that. Played for at least a decade. Not sure why it went belly up. Probably because it wasn't a rampant money grabber. The NFL can talk all they want about the concept of a minor league, but they want it to make money.

    An article from a while back on why it failed:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2920635&columnist=pasquarelli_len

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #17

    If the Browns moved again but kept the Browns name, would you still be a fan?

    Honestly... I don't know...

    While certainly I would not be a fanatic trading pixels here or anywhere else, day in and day out...

    And I also would not buy any team paraphernalia ...

    I cannot say that I would not follow the team...

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    If the Browns moved again but kept the Browns name, would you still be a fan?

    First actual problem with this statement is the word "again".

    There can be no "again" as the Browns have never moved to begin with.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Is the premise of this thread that most of us would be Baltimore Browns fans if they retained the name?

  • SojuS Soju wrote on last edited by
    #20

    hell no! what kind of stupid question is this. would you chase around cancer after getting rid of it?

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Could be! If they were the Baltimore Browns we'd all have TWO SUPER BOWLS!

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I'd do something else on Sunday afternoon.

    (but just for the record H, a least doesn't make me any more confident than a marriage license. 😉 )

    WSS