Skip to content

#8 Overall

The Browns Board
14 6 726
  • @tour2ma said:

    Back from "Gipcation"...

    Seems like #8 slot fares better than a number of other R1 slots...

    Wasn't Boston on his way to greatness, but suffered a devastating injury?

    Maybe. He had some good years. Made one Pro Bowl. I think though he was doing steroids and got suspended I think. Then I guess he became somewhat of a lazy asshole. Then the bad injuries came. He probably could have recovered and gone on.

    I guess maybe he wasn't quite the bust I thought.

    Here is his PFR page.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BostDa00.htm

    @the-gipper said:

    I guess maybe he wasn't quite the bust I thought.

    Here is his PFR page.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BostDa00.htm

    Boston was a name I had all but forgotten, but he was mentioned in a piece on either ESPN or NFL Network about Pats draft history IIRC as being a hard luck story...

  • I was lost after reading "2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together"

    Is anyone expecting him to get his act together

  • I was lost after reading "2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together"

    Is anyone expecting him to get his act together

    @baconhound said:

    I was lost after reading "2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together"

    Is anyone expecting him to get his act together

    I think yes perhaps: Ray Horton......and the rest of the coaching staff.

    Look, they haven't dumped like they did JMZ.....so somebody must think they can get something out of this kid. So it remains to be seen.

  • Looking more and more like Conklin at 8

    Then either us or Denver will get Connor Cook.. Whoever is willing to move up higher.. Possibly with GB at 27

  • Looking more and more like Conklin at 8

    Then either us or Denver will get Connor Cook.. Whoever is willing to move up higher.. Possibly with GB at 27

    @spek216 said:

    Looking more and more like Conklin at 8

    Ah....NO

    Then either us or Denver will get Connor Cook.. Whoever is willing to move up higher.. Possibly with GB at 27

    Ah...NO.....at least not on the move up to get him.

  • I was lost after reading "2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together"

    Is anyone expecting him to get his act together

    @baconhound said:

    I was lost after reading "2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together"

    Is anyone expecting him to get his act together

    If he can get his lazy butt out of bed and make the meetings on time.

    Didn't he say he was a "hard sleeper"?

  • @spek216 said:

    Looking more and more like Conklin at 8

    Ah....NO

    Then either us or Denver will get Connor Cook.. Whoever is willing to move up higher.. Possibly with GB at 27

    Ah...NO.....at least not on the move up to get him.

    @the-gipper said:

    @spek216 said:

    Looking more and more like Conklin at 8

    Ah....NO

    Then either us or Denver will get Connor Cook.. Whoever is willing to move up higher.. Possibly with GB at 27

    Ah...NO.....at least not on the move up to get him.

    Ah.. YEAH

    Not saying I want that either, but don't kill the messenger

  • @the-gipper said:

    @spek216 said:

    Looking more and more like Conklin at 8

    Ah....NO

    Then either us or Denver will get Connor Cook.. Whoever is willing to move up higher.. Possibly with GB at 27

    Ah...NO.....at least not on the move up to get him.

    Ah.. YEAH

    Not saying I want that either, but don't kill the messenger

    @spek216 said:

    Ah.. YEAH

    Not saying I want that either, but don't kill the messenger

    Yea, I am just saying, no, that would not be what I want.

    emoji.jpg

  • I did this when the Browns had the second pick, now I will do it again now that they have the 8th pick overall in the draft:

    A. Players drafted by the Browns in the past with the #8 overall Pick:

    1960 Jim Houston.....one of the best LBs in Browns history

    2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together

    and that's it for #8s drafted by the Browns.

    B. Hall of Fame Players drafted with #8 overall:

    Ronnie Lott DB

    Willie Roaf OT

    Lance Alworth WR

    Mike Munchak OG

    Larry Csonka RB

    Jim Parker OT

    Mike Ditka TE

    C. Other "plus" players taken with #8. Some borderline HOF, others just good solid players:

    James Farrior LB

    Leslie O'Neal DE

    Ottis Anderson RB

    Joey Galloway WR

    Ed Budde OG

    Sam Adams LB

    Bob Whitfield OT

    Jack Snow WR

    Donte Whitner DB

    D. Fairly big name busts taken with #8. There have been others early on, but I will skip those and only list guys that you all may have heard of:

    Bob Ferguson RB (Oh. St.)

    David Terrell WR

    Jake Locker QB

    Tim Biakabatuka RB

    David Boston WR

    Derrick Harvey DE (2008 draft...out of league)

    Jamal Anderson DE

    (note, not the Jamal Anderson that did the Dirty Bird for the Falcons in the 90s...this Jamal Anderson was a 2007 draftee of the Falcons......same name, same team coincidental I guess)

    @the-gipper said:

    I did this when the Browns had the second pick, now I will do it again now that they have the 8th pick overall in the draft:

    A. Players drafted by the Browns in the past with the #8 overall Pick:

    1960 Jim Houston.....one of the best LBs in Browns history

    2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together

    and that's it for #8s drafted by the Browns.

    B. Hall of Fame Players drafted with #8 overall:

    Ronnie Lott DB

    Willie Roaf OT

    Lance Alworth WR

    Mike Munchak OG

    Larry Csonka RB

    Jim Parker OT

    Mike Ditka TE

    C. Other "plus" players taken with #8. Some borderline HOF, others just good solid players:

    James Farrior LB

    Leslie O'Neal DE

    Ottis Anderson RB

    Joey Galloway WR

    Ed Budde OG

    Sam Adams LB

    Bob Whitfield OT

    Jack Snow WR

    Donte Whitner DB

    D. Fairly big name busts taken with #8. There have been others early on, but I will skip those and only list guys that you all may have heard of:

    Bob Ferguson RB (Oh. St.)

    David Terrell WR

    Jake Locker QB

    Tim Biakabatuka RB

    David Boston WR

    Derrick Harvey DE (2008 draft...out of league)

    Jamal Anderson DE

    (note, not the Jamal Anderson that did the Dirty Bird for the Falcons in the 90s...this Jamal Anderson was a 2007 draftee of the Falcons......same name, same team coincidental I guess)

    Sam Adams was a Defensive Tackle.

    396699-dec-1998-sam-adams-of-the-seattle

    There was also a guard for the Patriots by that name in the 70's, had his football card.

    153713206_1444855013.jpg

    And a delicious beer.

    03.jpg

    Not a linebacker.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I did this when the Browns had the second pick, now I will do it again now that they have the 8th pick overall in the draft:

    A. Players drafted by the Browns in the past with the #8 overall Pick:

    1960 Jim Houston.....one of the best LBs in Browns history

    2014 Justin Gilbert....could be a huge bust if he doesn't get his act together

    and that's it for #8s drafted by the Browns.

    B. Hall of Fame Players drafted with #8 overall:

    Ronnie Lott DB

    Willie Roaf OT

    Lance Alworth WR

    Mike Munchak OG

    Larry Csonka RB

    Jim Parker OT

    Mike Ditka TE

    C. Other "plus" players taken with #8. Some borderline HOF, others just good solid players:

    James Farrior LB

    Leslie O'Neal DE

    Ottis Anderson RB

    Joey Galloway WR

    Ed Budde OG

    Sam Adams LB

    Bob Whitfield OT

    Jack Snow WR

    Donte Whitner DB

    D. Fairly big name busts taken with #8. There have been others early on, but I will skip those and only list guys that you all may have heard of:

    Bob Ferguson RB (Oh. St.)

    David Terrell WR

    Jake Locker QB

    Tim Biakabatuka RB

    David Boston WR

    Derrick Harvey DE (2008 draft...out of league)

    Jamal Anderson DE

    (note, not the Jamal Anderson that did the Dirty Bird for the Falcons in the 90s...this Jamal Anderson was a 2007 draftee of the Falcons......same name, same team coincidental I guess)

    Sam Adams was a Defensive Tackle.

    396699-dec-1998-sam-adams-of-the-seattle

    There was also a guard for the Patriots by that name in the 70's, had his football card.

    153713206_1444855013.jpg

    And a delicious beer.

    03.jpg

    Not a linebacker.

    Zombo said:

    Sam Adams was a Defensive Tackle.

    396699-dec-1998-sam-adams-of-the-seattle

    There was also a guard for the Patriots by that name in the 70's, had his football card.

    153713206_1444855013.jpg

    And a delicious beer.

    03.jpg

    Not a linebacker.

    I may have mistyped. And I don't know how delicious Sam Adams beer is. Using it as the liquid for a wet T-shirt contest is, in my opinion, a more optimum use of the substance. Thank you.