Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Basic Income, No Questions Asked

Basic Income, No Questions Asked

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
24 Posts 9 Posters 838 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • gftChris gftChrisG
    • 13k Posts
    • 428 Reputation
    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-05-02/a-basic-income-should-be-the-next-big-thing

    The basic premise is, everyone gets some annual stipend, just for existing, to cover the basic cost of things like food and shelter. The amount talked about here - $10k - is enough to scrape by, but not enough to really have a great life.

    From the liberal point of view, you go a long way to eradicating poverty, and without all the string attached to welfare qualifications. You start with $10k, you work 40 hours per week at minimum wage, say $7.50 an hour, take 5 weeks holiday (at least, that's the standard here, not sure about there?) you get an income of around $24k per year.

    From the conservative point of view, it means you don't need to raise the minimum wage really at all, you don't have abuse of welfare to anywhere near the same degree (making up fake children or whatever) because all welfare programs get rolled in to this one, and as a result of that, you end up with much less government involvement, and in turn, less government.

    As for where the money comes from - if you have $10k per adult, for what, 250m adults in the US? That's $2.5tn per year. According to the website below (first one returned when I googled, other sites will give slightly different numbers, but it's in the same order of magnitude), spending looks currently like this:

    Social Security: $930bn

    Medicare: $565bn

    Medicaid: $488bn

    Welfare (benefits): $383bn

    Totals around $2.4bn. Throw in the VAT that the government will get back on the $10k each person spends, and this basically ends up costing less than current welfare spending.

    http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_welfare_spending_40.html

    As for the philosophy of it, I believe that this is where we will end up going in the future, though I don't know where or when. We will get to the point where most of the minimum wage jobs are automated - including food prep, factory, custodial etc - and there will be a section of the populace that is unable to find any work at all, and this would be the way to stop them from just starving.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • gftChris gftChrisG
      • 13k Posts
      • 428 Reputation
      gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I'm not sure, btw, what current social security benefits are, so I don't know if retired people would be worse or better off if this were implemented tomorrow.

      Going forward, though, it means that there's not an added burden on the state when someone reaches 65 (or whatever the retirement age there is), so it's a lot easier to plan national finances.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
        • 28k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I'm applying for 'early' (age 62) Social security at the end of the week, and will start collecting in October.

        "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
          • 39k Posts
          • 9k Reputation
          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
          #4

          My income is made up from revenue as musician, Investments and Rental property.

          Frankly I'm not quite sure how much my social security check will be but I'm waiting until I am full age.

          As far as a guaranteed 10 grand a year?

          I have no beef with a basic package of sustenance, but I don't see the difference between that and a combination of food stamps, housing, medical and energy subsidies we already have in place. I do think there is a myth of huge numbers of people starving in the streets like they have in third world countries.

          But there is a path of least resistance that human beings, at least part of them, are happy enough with.

          The ten Grand a year just makes a small change in the way subsidization of that group is accomplished.

          WSS

          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
          gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • W Westside Steve

            My income is made up from revenue as musician, Investments and Rental property.

            Frankly I'm not quite sure how much my social security check will be but I'm waiting until I am full age.

            As far as a guaranteed 10 grand a year?

            I have no beef with a basic package of sustenance, but I don't see the difference between that and a combination of food stamps, housing, medical and energy subsidies we already have in place. I do think there is a myth of huge numbers of people starving in the streets like they have in third world countries.

            But there is a path of least resistance that human beings, at least part of them, are happy enough with.

            The ten Grand a year just makes a small change in the way subsidization of that group is accomplished.

            WSS

            gftChris gftChrisG
            • 13k Posts
            • 428 Reputation
            gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @westside-steve said:

            My income is made up from revenue as musician, Investments and Rental property.

            Frankly I'm not quite sure how much my social security check will be but I'm waiting until I am full age.

            As far as a guaranteed 10 grand a year?

            I have no beef with a basic package of sustenance, but I don't see the difference between that and a combination of food stamps, housing, medical and energy subsidies we already have in place. I do think there is a myth of huge numbers of people starving in the streets like they have in third world countries.

            But there is a path of least resistance that human beings, at least part of them, are happy enough with.

            The ten Grand a year just makes a small change in the way subsidization of that group is accomplished.

            WSS

            Hence the republican interest - if people are mooching anyway, might as well give everyone money, and you cut all the departments that decide if you're eligible, and save a bunch of money there.

            W 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • gftChrisG gftChris

              @westside-steve said:

              My income is made up from revenue as musician, Investments and Rental property.

              Frankly I'm not quite sure how much my social security check will be but I'm waiting until I am full age.

              As far as a guaranteed 10 grand a year?

              I have no beef with a basic package of sustenance, but I don't see the difference between that and a combination of food stamps, housing, medical and energy subsidies we already have in place. I do think there is a myth of huge numbers of people starving in the streets like they have in third world countries.

              But there is a path of least resistance that human beings, at least part of them, are happy enough with.

              The ten Grand a year just makes a small change in the way subsidization of that group is accomplished.

              WSS

              Hence the republican interest - if people are mooching anyway, might as well give everyone money, and you cut all the departments that decide if you're eligible, and save a bunch of money there.

              Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
              • 39k Posts
              • 9k Reputation
              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @gftchris said:

              Hence the republican interest - if people are mooching anyway, might as well give everyone money, and you cut all the departments that decide if you're eligible, and save a bunch of money there.

              Don't misunderstand, I'm not offended by the plan, I don't think it will make anyone happy, or at least happier than they are now but fine with me.

              WSS

              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                • 15k Posts
                • 2k Reputation
                T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                #7

                You can't change the mentality of poor people. If they take their ten thousand dollars and blow it immediately on lottery tickets and cigarettes there's no helping them. The defining aspect of all poor people is that they're terribly irresponsible. I have a wife who doesn't work and three kids and yet I have nice stuff (some have more, many have less) and I attribute that directly to responsible spending and living within my means.

                Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                C 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                  • 39k Posts
                  • 9k Reputation
                  W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Also if you think about it those agencies provide a lot of jobs for people who would otherwise be on the Dole and figuring out ways to work the system gives something of a sense of purpose to the recipients.

                  😉

                  WSS

                  www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                    • 39k Posts
                    • 9k Reputation
                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    And remember Chris that it won't be long before the ten grand isn't nearly enough. You will have an entire new Battleground with those who want to raise it to 11 12 13 you name it. Not unlike the minimum wage. No matter where you put it people will say it should be more.

                    Another thought is eliminating food stamps takes away the incentive to buy actual food and not cigarettes, lottery tickets and beer.

                    And good luck selling that to the farm States.

                    WSS

                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                    gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • W Westside Steve

                      And remember Chris that it won't be long before the ten grand isn't nearly enough. You will have an entire new Battleground with those who want to raise it to 11 12 13 you name it. Not unlike the minimum wage. No matter where you put it people will say it should be more.

                      Another thought is eliminating food stamps takes away the incentive to buy actual food and not cigarettes, lottery tickets and beer.

                      And good luck selling that to the farm States.

                      WSS

                      gftChris gftChrisG
                      • 13k Posts
                      • 428 Reputation
                      gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @westside-steve said:

                      And remember Chris that it won't be long before the ten grand isn't nearly enough. You will have an entire new Battleground with those who want to raise it to 11 12 13 you name it. Not unlike the minimum wage. No matter where you put it people will say it should be more.

                      Another thought is eliminating food stamps takes away the incentive to buy actual food and not cigarettes, lottery tickets and beer.

                      And good luck selling that to the farm States.

                      WSS

                      It would rise in line with inflation, so there would be no need to squabble over what it should be.

                      W 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • gftChrisG gftChris

                        @westside-steve said:

                        And remember Chris that it won't be long before the ten grand isn't nearly enough. You will have an entire new Battleground with those who want to raise it to 11 12 13 you name it. Not unlike the minimum wage. No matter where you put it people will say it should be more.

                        Another thought is eliminating food stamps takes away the incentive to buy actual food and not cigarettes, lottery tickets and beer.

                        And good luck selling that to the farm States.

                        WSS

                        It would rise in line with inflation, so there would be no need to squabble over what it should be.

                        Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                        • 39k Posts
                        • 9k Reputation
                        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @gftchris said:

                        It would rise in line with inflation, so there would be no need to squabble over what it should be.

                        In a perfect world.

                        WSS

                        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                        gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • W Westside Steve

                          @gftchris said:

                          It would rise in line with inflation, so there would be no need to squabble over what it should be.

                          In a perfect world.

                          WSS

                          gftChris gftChrisG
                          • 13k Posts
                          • 428 Reputation
                          gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @westside-steve said:

                          In a perfect world.

                          WSS

                          That's something that can be written in to law though. It is here with regard to state pensions - it's called the 'triple lock', and pensions rise by the maximum of price inflation, wage inflation, or 2.5%. Same could apply to the minimum income.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • T The Cysko Kid

                            You can't change the mentality of poor people. If they take their ten thousand dollars and blow it immediately on lottery tickets and cigarettes there's no helping them. The defining aspect of all poor people is that they're terribly irresponsible. I have a wife who doesn't work and three kids and yet I have nice stuff (some have more, many have less) and I attribute that directly to responsible spending and living within my means.

                            Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                            • 24k Posts
                            • 1k Reputation
                            C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @the-cysko-kid said:

                            You can't change the mentality of poor people. If they take their ten thousand dollars and blow it immediately on lottery tickets and cigarettes there's no helping them.

                            Than that's that. If people misuse social netting that's on them. But that doesn't negate the concept because some people do this. I think it's terribly generalizing to say all poor people are irresponsible with their money.

                            T 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • C Clevfan4life

                              @the-cysko-kid said:

                              You can't change the mentality of poor people. If they take their ten thousand dollars and blow it immediately on lottery tickets and cigarettes there's no helping them.

                              Than that's that. If people misuse social netting that's on them. But that doesn't negate the concept because some people do this. I think it's terribly generalizing to say all poor people are irresponsible with their money.

                              The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                              • 15k Posts
                              • 2k Reputation
                              T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @clevfan4life said:

                              Than that's that. If people misuse social netting that's on them. But that doesn't negate the concept because some people do this. I think it's terribly generalizing to say all poor people are irresponsible with their money.

                              Yeah? Show me some poor people that aren't irresponsible with their money.

                              Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                              Browns149B 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • T The Cysko Kid

                                @clevfan4life said:

                                Than that's that. If people misuse social netting that's on them. But that doesn't negate the concept because some people do this. I think it's terribly generalizing to say all poor people are irresponsible with their money.

                                Yeah? Show me some poor people that aren't irresponsible with their money.

                                Browns149 Browns149B Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 10k Posts
                                • 2k Reputation
                                Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @the-cysko-kid said:

                                Yeah? Show me some poor people that aren't irresponsible with their money.

                                I'm sure there are some, but the percentage is probably low.

                                "And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve."
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                  • 15k Posts
                                  • 2k Reputation
                                  T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
                                  #16

                                  My aunt's husband left her with four kids ages 12-3 and she fell on real hard times. They knew what it was to be poor. Yet she buckled down and spent what money she did have wisely and climbed out of that back to middle class status. People who are perennially poor are irresponsible with money. It is what it is.

                                  Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 10k Posts
                                    • 2k Reputation
                                    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    When I was real young, my parents struggled with money. We were really poor. However, my dad busted his ass and was good with money. By the time I graduated highschool, we were firmly middle class and lived in a house that we owned. My dad was able to retire early because of how well he ended up managing his money/real estate.

                                    DieHardBrownsFanD 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares

                                      When I was real young, my parents struggled with money. We were really poor. However, my dad busted his ass and was good with money. By the time I graduated highschool, we were firmly middle class and lived in a house that we owned. My dad was able to retire early because of how well he ended up managing his money/real estate.

                                      DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                                      • 28k Posts
                                      • 6k Reputation
                                      DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @logicisforsquares said:

                                      When I was real young, my parents struggled with money. We were really poor. However, my dad busted his ass and was good with money. By the time I graduated highschool, we were firmly middle class and lived in a house that we owned. My dad was able to retire early because of how well he ended up managing his money/real estate.

                                      I come from a poor family also. My Dad worked his ass off but never made good money. Worked in the Flats which ultimately I'm sure caused his death by Lung Cancer.

                                      "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • One Post One PostO
                                        • 4k Posts
                                        • 284 Reputation
                                        One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        I come from a poor family as well because my dad was a lazy ass. Ya I said it, he was a lazy MFer. I grew up to hate him and his ways of coning church goers into giving money and behind closed doors seen how it really was. I moved out when I was young and went to school.

                                        Now I sit here wanting more money but when I look around it could've been a lot worse. Think about if you were born in a different country where they don't even have running water.

                                        Now to the topic fuck no don't give anybody 10 grand. For what? So they can smoke it up and then what program is out there that helps them after that?

                                        https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                          • 39k Posts
                                          • 9k Reputation
                                          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          Chris I've been thinking this over for a while and decided that I don't like the basic 10% giveaway. As I've said before I have no problem with a safety net for those on the bottom but just to hand it out no questions asked takes away the slightest bit of incentive in my opinion. Not only that but cement the feeling of entitlement, and the resentment that would probably lead to.

                                          It's not even a cost effectiveness issue just basic human pride.

                                          WSS

                                          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                          gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate