Survey is Back
-
Your weekly survey is back. Here are some questions. Give your opinions:
1. Two part: Which of the recent Browns draftees do you think will have the best career ultimately
....and which one will win the Vince Mayle award by not making it through training camp before getting cut?
2. Are you in favor of the now Oakland Raiders moving to Las Vegas?
3. Of the current active teams in the NBA playoffs, who do you WANT to ultimately win it all?
....and who do you think WILL win it all?
Teams: Cleveland/Atlanta/Toronto/Miami/Golden State/San Antonio/OKC/Portland
4. Of the current active team in the NHL playoffs who do you WANT to win it all?
.....and who do you think WILL win it all?
Teams: Tampa Bay/New York Islanders/Pittsburgh/Washington/San Jose/St. Louis/Dallas/Nashville
5. I don't want this to get political....just give the names: Who do you think Hillary should choose as her VP Candidate. Who do you think Trump should pick as his running mate?
6. This extra question comes from a travel board I patronize:
A. What do you think is the most beautiful college campus you have been to? (feel free to give several)
B. What famous tall towers or buildings have you been to the top of?
Your weekly survey is back. Here are some questions. Give your opinions:
1. Two part: Which of the recent Browns draftees do you think will have the best career ultimately
....and which one will win the Vince Mayle award by not making it through training camp before getting cut?
Nassib
Caldwell
2. Are you in favor of the now Oakland Raiders moving to Las Vegas?
Sure
3. Of the current active teams in the NBA playoffs, who do you WANT to ultimately win it all?
....and who do you think WILL win it all?
Teams: Cleveland/Atlanta/Toronto/Miami/Golden State/San Antonio/OKC/Portland
Cleveland; Cleveland
4. Of the current active team in the NHL playoffs who do you WANT to win it all?
.....and who do you think WILL win it all?
Teams: Tampa Bay/New York Islanders/Pittsburgh/Washington/San Jose/St. Louis/Dallas/Nashville
Dallas; Dallas. Blues fans gtfo.
5. I don't want this to get political....just give the names: Who do you think Hillary should choose as her VP Candidate. Who do you think Trump should pick as his running mate?
Castro
Cruz
6. This extra question comes from a travel board I patronize:
A. What do you think is the most beautiful college campus you have been to? (feel free to give several)
SMU or Ole Miss (aka wannabe SMU)
B. What famous tall towers or buildings have you been to the top of?
None
-
Sears (now called Willis) Tower, Gateway Arch, Terminal Tower.
And I got you way beat in the mountain altitude game Gip. there is a thing called the Highpointers Club. You may have been to all 50 states- now get to the top of every one.
My score: Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado.
I do like the concept of the highpointers club.. I have perhaps been to a few....but only the very low ones. Just a few years ago I know I was at the "Highpoint State Park" in New Jersey. At the highpoint of the state they enhanced it by building a 200 foot tower to walk up.
In Florida, the high point is just the top of a grade at the side of a road.
I've been to Clingman's Dome, top of Mount Washington
I have "gazed upon" a few others from a distance, but never climbed to the top.
http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=12004
-
.jpg/240px-Tour_Eiffel_Wikimedia_Commons_(cropped).jpg)
-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Back when the Terminal tower was the only one in town
-

-

-
Sears (now called Willis) Tower, Gateway Arch, Terminal Tower.
And I got you way beat in the mountain altitude game Gip. there is a thing called the Highpointers Club. You may have been to all 50 states- now get to the top of every one.
My score: Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado.
I do like the concept of the highpointers club.. I have perhaps been to a few....but only the very low ones. Just a few years ago I know I was at the "Highpoint State Park" in New Jersey. At the highpoint of the state they enhanced it by building a 200 foot tower to walk up.
In Florida, the high point is just the top of a grade at the side of a road.
I've been to Clingman's Dome, top of Mount Washington
I have "gazed upon" a few others from a distance, but never climbed to the top.
http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=12004
Sears (now called Willis) Tower, Gateway Arch, Terminal Tower.
And I got you way beat in the mountain altitude game Gip. there is a thing called the Highpointers Club. You may have been to all 50 states- now get to the top of every one.
My score: Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado. I do like the concept of the highpointers club.. I have perhaps been to a few....but only the very low ones. Just a few years ago I know I was at the "Highpoint State Park" in New Jersey. At the highpoint of the state they enhanced it by building a 200 foot tower to walk up.
In Florida, the high point is just the top of a grade at the side of a road.
I've been to Clingman's Dome, top of Mount Washington
I have "gazed upon" a few others from a distance, but never climbed to the top.
Yeah Gipper- you can drive right up to the Ebright Azimuth in Delaware, and Mount Elbert is prominently visible from near anywhere in Leadville Colorado. Speaking of Mount Elbert- it's the only time I've ever seen a porcupine in the wild- running around my campsite.

Campbell Hill- which is just outside of Bellfontaine Ohio, you can easily ride a bike to the top. At least it resembles a hill


Unlike Hoosier Hill, which isn't really much of a hill. (Just on the other side of the Ohio state line.) I rode my bike over there, and I could have sworn there was a spot on the road that looked a couple of feet higher- it's part of a guy's farm. You can almost drive a car to the top of Clingman's Dome, and from there it's just a short walk.
The others are slightly more challenging. The amazing thing about Harney Peak in the Black Hills is during the depression- they had a work crew build this three story rock fire lookout on top of a 7,000' mountain.

Gannet Peak in Wyoming is usually considered #2 in degree of difficulty after Denali in Alaska. (Though I might disagree after perusing the climbing route on Granite Peak in Montana.) A lot of people mistakenly think the Grand Teton is Wyoming's highpoint- but it's not. The Grand- been there, done that- is way more technically difficult, you had better know how to use a rope, and how to rappel. The first roped pitch, you're on an exposed boulder slab with 2,000' of air underneath you. The pine trees look like dots. Regarding Gannett- lotsa fun hiking 25 miles to Titcomb Basin with a 70 pound mountaineering pack, then going 1,000' up (and down) over Bonney Pass, and you still have to climb the booger. FWIW, I have a near identical framed picture in my bedroom I took from the the exact same spot at the top of Bonney Pass.

PS Gip, regarding your picture of the Twin Towers. When Bin Laden took them down- he also ruined a couple million bucks worth of high end wine that was stashed at Windows on the World restaurant that was at the top of one of them.

-
I have been at that point in Ohio you have a picture of. I mean, there is a house and some kind of a tank. It doesn't look like you can actually get to the apex there.
And Florida has just a sign there:

There may be a marker on the ground somewhere behind this sign.
-
I have driven the road up Mt. Whitney as far as it would take me, but it does not go all the way to the top. I did not climb the rest of the way there.

-
I have been at that point in Ohio you have a picture of. I mean, there is a house and some kind of a tank. It doesn't look like you can actually get to the apex there.
And Florida has just a sign there:

There may be a marker on the ground somewhere behind this sign.
I have been at that point in Ohio you have a picture of. I mean, there is a house and some kind of a tank. It doesn't look like you can actually get to the apex there.
LOL Gip- you're right. You'd have to have them let you climb the ladder to the top of the water tower to be at the "true" highpoint- but in this case, I don't think man made structures count. There's a career center there- as well as the remnants of a WW II radar station.
From the top- it really doesn't look like you're that high up- until you get on your bike, and motor down Ohio 540 into Bellefontaine at 30 mph.
-
I have driven the road up Mt. Whitney as far as it would take me, but it does not go all the way to the top. I did not climb the rest of the way there.

I have driven the road up Mt. Whitney as far as it would take me, but it does not go all the way to the top. I did not climb the rest of the way there.
Didn't realize there's a road going most of the way up. I have this debate if you drive to the top, you really haven't "climbed" it, like Pike's Peak.
Regarding Whitney- you're not taking a car up the West side. Rock jock territory.

-
I have been at that point in Ohio you have a picture of. I mean, there is a house and some kind of a tank. It doesn't look like you can actually get to the apex there.
LOL Gip- you're right. You'd have to have them let you climb the ladder to the top of the water tower to be at the "true" highpoint- but in this case, I don't think man made structures count. There's a career center there- as well as the remnants of a WW II radar station.
From the top- it really doesn't look like you're that high up- until you get on your bike, and motor down Ohio 540 into Bellefontaine at 30 mph.
LOL Gip- you're right. You'd have to have them let you climb the ladder to the top of the water tower to be at the "true" highpoint- but in this case, I don't think man made structures count. There's a career center there- as well as the remnants of a WW II radar station.
From the top- it really doesn't look like you're that high up- until you get on your bike, and motor down Ohio 540 into Bellefontaine at 30 mph.
I went to the top of the south rim of the Grand Canyon this summer. Had to be at least 200 ft. over from the parking lot.

-
The Portal road to Mt. Whitney only goes about halfway up. According to this map it stops at the 8340 foot mark....and Whitney is 14495. So there is still a long way to walk up. Over a mile straight.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
