Cleveland Area In the Finals
-
Looks like a very impressive NFL trophy case for North East Ohio.
Looks like a very impressive NFL trophy case for North East Ohio.
With a lot of dust on it.
Zombo
-
Looks like a very impressive NFL trophy case for North East Ohio.
Looks like a very impressive NFL trophy case for North East Ohio.
For the first 35 years, yes. In the last 60 years, one title......and that was 52 years ago.
Until now perhaps? (I still think they will fuck it up...it Cleveland)
The fact is, if the Cavs won, I wouldn't know how to react.
-
Looks like a very impressive NFL trophy case for North East Ohio.
For the first 35 years, yes. In the last 60 years, one title......and that was 52 years ago.
Until now perhaps? (I still think they will fuck it up...it Cleveland)
The fact is, if the Cavs won, I wouldn't know how to react.
The fact is, if the Cavs won, I wouldn't know how to react.
Act like Manziel for a night
-
The fact is, if the Cavs won, I wouldn't know how to react.
Act like Manziel for a night
-
Didn't know we pulled a Buffalo in the 50s. Knew we had lost that many, just didn't realize it was consecutive.
-
Didn't know we pulled a Buffalo in the 50s. Knew we had lost that many, just didn't realize it was consecutive.
Didn't know we pulled a Buffalo in the 50s. Knew we had lost that many, just didn't realize it was consecutive.
For Browns....just starting in 1950 when they joined the NFL it was: Won One, Lost 3, Won 2, Lost one.
Won 3, lost 4.
-
-
I was born in '67, so none of those Browns' wins do this guy any good....... Hopefully, just once, I'll know what it feels like to root for the best.
-
Come on over to Cardinal baseball land. If it weren't for them I'd never see a championship.
-
Come on over to Cardinal baseball land. If it weren't for them I'd never see a championship.
One Post From the Truth said:
Come on over to Cardinal baseball land. If it weren't for them I'd never see a championship.
Why would we want to do that? Nothing against St. L.
-
Despite these last two losses I fully expect the Cavs to make the NBA Finals. So, now here is the history of Cleveland teams in the Finals of all the 4 major sports....or should I say 3...as Cleveland has only had an NHL hockey team for a scant two years in history. (no playoffs for the Cleveland Barons):
1920 Cleveland Indians defeat the Brooklyn Robins nka Dodgers in the WS
1920 Akron Pros win NFL title (no playoffs)
1922 Canton Bulldogs win NFL title ..no playoff
1923 Canton Buldogs win NFL title...no playoffs
1924 Cleveland Bulldogs win NFL title...no playoffs
1945 Cleveland Rams win NFL title over Wash. Redskins
1946 Cleveland Browns win AAFC title over NY Yankees
1947 Cleveland Browns win AAFC title over NY Yankees
1948 Cleveland Indians win WS over Boston Braves
1948 Clevland Browns win AAFC over Buffalo Bills
1949 Cleveland Browns win AAFC over SF 49ers
1950 Cleveland Browns win NFL title over LA Rams
1951 Cleveland Browns lose NFL title to LA RAms
1952 Cleveland Browns lose NFL title to Detroit Lions
1953 Cleveland Browns lose NFL title to Detroit Lions
1954 Cleveland Indians lose WS to NY Giants
1954 Cleveland Browns win NFL title over Detroit Lions
1955 Cleveland Browns win NFL title over LA Rams
1957 Cleveland Browns lose NFL title to Detroit Lions
1964 Cleveland Browns win NFL title over Baltimore Colts
1965 Cleveland Browns lose NFL title to Green Bay Packers
1995 Cleveland Indians lose WS to Atlanta Braves
1997 Cleveland Indians lose WS to Florida Marlins
2007 Cleveland Cavaliers lose NBA finals to San Antonio Spurs
2015 Cleveland Cavaliers lost NBA finals to Golden State Warriors
Winning years in blue, losing years in red non postseason play titles in green
Despite these last two losses I fully expect the Cavs to make the NBA Finals.
2007 Cleveland Cavaliers lose NBA finals to San Antonio Spurs
2015 Cleveland Cavaliers lost NBA finals to Golden State Warriors
losing years in red
Just a few hours East, the Buffalo Bills won their last Championship in the mid 60s before going 0-4 in the Superbowl. Scott Norwood was a Pro Bowl Kicker when he missed that 47 yard FG in the SB vrs NY. I think the last time they made the playoffs was in 1999 when they lost by the Music City Miracle. Wade Phillips was bullied into starting the high paid FA Rob Johnson over the fan fave Doug Flutie who gave that team cpr to make the playoffs possible. Some will say Johnson helped get Buffalo the late lead; but many in Western, NY felt they would have had a much bigger lead if Flutie played that game. He was the players' and fans' choice while Johnson appeared to be the FO business decision Wade Phillips had very little say in.
The Buffalo Braves were a competitive NBA team but I don't remember any championships for them. Their NHL team (Sabres) had some some horrific luck when they lost 4 of their top 5 defense men throughout the playoffs the year they faced Carolina in the Conference Championship in 2006 before they lost another Conference Championship to Ottawa in 2007. They also lost to the Dallas Stars in a Stanley Cup series that seemingly went into overtime every game. Going way back to the mid 70s, they lost a Stanely Cup series to the Flyers. The Sabres were really the only Buffalo team I liked growing up 60 miles from Buffalo.That's mainly because the Rochester Amerks who won a bunch of Calder Cups - were their JV team. When I moved away from Rochester, they had 4 different Browns backers clubs.
A Cavs Trophy won't change the public perception of the Browns playoff disappointment in the 80s or the flatline since the 90s until... We have a few good minds in the FO. And https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Yukon+Cornelius+land+ho+youtube&view=detail&mid=5A285FF3324373C236185A285FF3324373C23618&FORM=VIRE
-
Cleveland's teams have lost 5 "Finals" in a row. The Warriors, per one report I heard are now the 75% favorites to win it all.
I wonder if any city has ever had its teams lose 6 title games/series in a row. (even over the course of many decades in the case of Cleveland) I will have to look that one up.
-
Partially answering the question I posed above, as I find these I will list them:
1. The teams from the City of Vancouver have lost 7 consecutive Stanley Cup Finals that they have appeared in: They won the Stanley Cup in 1915 and have since lost in: 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1982, 1994 and 2011. So this streak is on going for over 100 years now.
2. Teams from NYC lost World Series games 6 times in a row to teams from other cities in 1911, 1912, 1913, 1916, 1917 and 1920.
(But starting in 1921 teams from NYC both won and lost WS 4 years in a row).
3. Of course the other city that has suffered as much as Cleveland is Buffalo, who won their last title as a city in 1965, one year after Cleveland, and since then they have lost in the finals as follows:
1975 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
1990 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1991 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1992 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1993 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1999 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
It may be possible that some other city has had 5 or 6 Finals losses in a row. But it is very difficult to sift through it, so I may wait for another time to look.
-
Another 5 title game/series losses in a row towns:
Detroit: Tigers lost WS in 1907, 1908, 1909. 1934. Redwings lost in 1934....but then the Tigers won the WS in 1935..and the Lions won the NFL that same year.
Chicago: Cubs lost WS in 1918. White Sox lost in 1919. Cubs lost in 1929. Blackhawks lost in 1931. Cubs lost in 1932. Blackhawks won in 1934 to break that streak.
Others:
Los Angeles: Lakers lost in 1965 and 1966. Dodgers lost in 1966. Lakers lost in 1968, 1969, 1970. Six Finals losses in a row...until Lakers won the NBA in 1972.
Minnesota: Twins lost in 1965. Vikings lost in 1969, 1973, 1974, 1976 (Twins won in 1987 to break streak)
Bay Area, Oak/SF: 1949 49ers lost. 1962 Giants lost. 1963 and 1967 Warriors lost. 1967 Raiders lost (streak broken by the Oakland Oaks winning ABA title in 1969..and then the As won 3 straight WS beginning in 1972)
Denver: 1976 Nuggets lose ABA title. 1977, 1986, 1987, 1989 Broncos lose Super Bowl. (streak stopped when Broncos won SB in 1997
San Diego: 1964 and 1965 Chargers lose AFL title. 1984 Padres lose WS, 1994 Chargers lose SB. 1998 Padres lose WS. Current streak at 5 Finals losses.
San Diego is the one US city that has gone longer without a title than Cleveland. (last title Charger AFL 1963)
And that appears to be it.
Current streaks of losing in the Finals:
Cleveland now at 5 in a row. 3 teams.
San Diego at 5 in a row. 2 teams
Buffalo at 6 in a row. 2 teams
Vancouver at 7 in a row. 1team (plus earlier franchise)
-
Partially answering the question I posed above, as I find these I will list them:
1. The teams from the City of Vancouver have lost 7 consecutive Stanley Cup Finals that they have appeared in: They won the Stanley Cup in 1915 and have since lost in: 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1982, 1994 and 2011. So this streak is on going for over 100 years now.
2. Teams from NYC lost World Series games 6 times in a row to teams from other cities in 1911, 1912, 1913, 1916, 1917 and 1920.
(But starting in 1921 teams from NYC both won and lost WS 4 years in a row).
3. Of course the other city that has suffered as much as Cleveland is Buffalo, who won their last title as a city in 1965, one year after Cleveland, and since then they have lost in the finals as follows:
1975 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
1990 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1991 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1992 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1993 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1999 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
It may be possible that some other city has had 5 or 6 Finals losses in a row. But it is very difficult to sift through it, so I may wait for another time to look.
3. Of course the other city that has suffered as much as Cleveland is Buffalo, who won their last title as a city in 1965, one year after Cleveland, and since then they have lost in the finals as follows:1975 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
1990 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1991 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1992 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1993 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1999 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
It's almost like I never even posted about Buffalo just 2 posts before you within this flow of discussion. God bless ya!
-
3. Of course the other city that has suffered as much as Cleveland is Buffalo, who won their last title as a city in 1965, one year after Cleveland, and since then they have lost in the finals as follows:
1975 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
1990 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1991 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1992 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1993 Bills lost in Super Bowl
1999 Sabres lost in NHL Finals
It's almost like I never even posted about Buffalo just 2 posts before you within this flow of discussion. God bless ya!
It's almost like I never even posted about Buffalo just 2 posts before you within this flow of discussion. God bless ya!
I know you did. I was just reiterating it along with the documentation of other cities that lost 5 or more Finals in a row. You had already supplied the flesh and muscles, I was just giving the bare bones.
-
Outlook not so good for the Cavs. Last night was a brutal mismatch.
-
Outlook not so good for the Cavs. Last night was a brutal mismatch.
Outlook not so good for the Cavs. Last night was a brutal mismatch.
Don't get your skirt in a bunch, Nancy, they lost two games they were favored to lose.
They'll hold serve in Cleveland, grab momentum, steal one in GS and they'll be hoisting the trophy and you'll be sitting there all slack-jawed calling Lebron the best player that ever lived.
Zombo
-
Not with the same refs refing the same corrupt way. That was a bunch of crap....
-
It's almost like I never even posted about Buffalo just 2 posts before you within this flow of discussion. God bless ya!
I know you did. I was just reiterating it along with the documentation of other cities that lost 5 or more Finals in a row. You had already supplied the flesh and muscles, I was just giving the bare bones.
I know you did. I was just reiterating it along with the documentation of other cities that lost 5 or more Finals in a row. You had already supplied the flesh and muscles, I was just giving the bare bones.
I was just busting your chops Gips. It was actually good someone else wanted to acknowledge how similar Buffalo is to Cleveland in regard to losing championships in their pro sports; and how long it's been since either football team has won a playoff game. They're also on Lake Erie. A lot of similarities...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login