Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Ogbah signed

Ogbah signed

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
19 Posts 12 Posters 788 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/5/26/11793156/cleveland-browns-sign-2nd-round-draft-pick-olb-emmanuel-ogbah

    The Cleveland Browns signed OLB Emmanuel Ogbah on Thursday. He is the seventh of fourteen draft picks to sign, with the first six having signed on two weeks ago.

    Taken in the 2nd round at No. 32 overall, Ogbah's contract will be worth about $6.610 million, with a $3.007 million signing bonus over four years, according to OverTheCap's pre-determined draft chart. His cap hit in 2016 will be roughly $1.202 million, which puts him well behind the cap hits for OLB Paul Kruger and OLB Barkevious Mingo, but a little ahead of what OLB Nate Orchard will account for.
    The Browns made Ogbah the first pick of Day 2 of the draft. The way you know they were really sold on him as a player is the fact that they traded down so many times, yet refused to deal out of No. 32. Ogbah is 6-4, 275-pounds and played college football at Oklahoma State. He will wear No. 90 with the Browns. A few weeks ago at rookie minicamp, Ogbah talked about his transition to linebacker at the NFL level:
    "It’s new. I came from a 4-3 defense. Basically, the only thing that I’m doing is standing. It’s pretty much the same. It’s not complicated is what I’m trying to say. ... What they asked me to do here is drop. That’s the only difference. In college, I didn’t drop that much, but I still dropped a little bit. Here, I’m dropping a lot more than I did in college. That’s the only difference."
    The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 30k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Asking an OLB to drop? WTF is Ray thinking?

      "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
      gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • The GipperT The Gipper

        http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/5/26/11793156/cleveland-browns-sign-2nd-round-draft-pick-olb-emmanuel-ogbah

        The Cleveland Browns signed OLB Emmanuel Ogbah on Thursday. He is the seventh of fourteen draft picks to sign, with the first six having signed on two weeks ago.

        Taken in the 2nd round at No. 32 overall, Ogbah's contract will be worth about $6.610 million, with a $3.007 million signing bonus over four years, according to OverTheCap's pre-determined draft chart. His cap hit in 2016 will be roughly $1.202 million, which puts him well behind the cap hits for OLB Paul Kruger and OLB Barkevious Mingo, but a little ahead of what OLB Nate Orchard will account for.
        The Browns made Ogbah the first pick of Day 2 of the draft. The way you know they were really sold on him as a player is the fact that they traded down so many times, yet refused to deal out of No. 32. Ogbah is 6-4, 275-pounds and played college football at Oklahoma State. He will wear No. 90 with the Browns. A few weeks ago at rookie minicamp, Ogbah talked about his transition to linebacker at the NFL level:
        "It’s new. I came from a 4-3 defense. Basically, the only thing that I’m doing is standing. It’s pretty much the same. It’s not complicated is what I’m trying to say. ... What they asked me to do here is drop. That’s the only difference. In college, I didn’t drop that much, but I still dropped a little bit. Here, I’m dropping a lot more than I did in college. That’s the only difference."
        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @the-gipper said:

        http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/5/26/11793156/cleveland-browns-sign-2nd-round-draft-pick-olb-emmanuel-ogbah

        The Cleveland Browns signed OLB Emmanuel Ogbah on Thursday. He is the seventh of fourteen draft picks to sign, with the first six having signed on two weeks ago.

        Taken in the 2nd round at No. 32 overall, Ogbah's contract will be worth about $6.610 million, with a $3.007 million signing bonus over four years, according to OverTheCap's pre-determined draft chart. His cap hit in 2016 will be roughly $1.202 million, which puts him well behind the cap hits for OLB Paul Kruger and OLB Barkevious Mingo, but a little ahead of what OLB Nate Orchard will account for.
        The Browns made Ogbah the first pick of Day 2 of the draft. The way you know they were really sold on him as a player is the fact that they traded down so many times, yet refused to deal out of No. 32. Ogbah is 6-4, 275-pounds and played college football at Oklahoma State. He will wear No. 90 with the Browns. A few weeks ago at rookie minicamp, Ogbah talked about his transition to linebacker at the NFL level:
        "It’s new. I came from a 4-3 defense. Basically, the only thing that I’m doing is standing. It’s pretty much the same. It’s not complicated is what I’m trying to say. ... What they asked me to do here is drop. That’s the only difference. In college, I didn’t drop that much, but I still dropped a little bit. Here, I’m dropping a lot more than I did in college. That’s the only difference."

        Thanks for the augmentation.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Tour2maT Tour2ma

          Asking an OLB to drop? WTF is Ray thinking?

          gftChris gftChrisG
          • 13k Posts
          • 428 Reputation
          gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @tour2ma said:

          Asking an OLB to drop? WTF is Ray thinking?

          That guy needs to be fired.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
            • 24k Posts
            • 1k Reputation
            C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
            #5

            He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

            gftChrisG gumby73G FlugelF 3 Replies Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • C Clevfan4life

              He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

              gftChris gftChrisG
              • 13k Posts
              • 428 Reputation
              gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by gftChris
              #6

              @clevfan4life said:

              He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

              You get that linebackers have to cover occasionally, right? I mean, I know you want us to switch to a 4-3 (and we do keep drafting 4-3 ends to convert to 3-4 DE or OLB), but we don't run a traditional, rush your two outside guys every time front.

              C MudflyM 2 Replies Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • C Clevfan4life

                He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

                gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 11k Posts
                • 4k Reputation
                gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @clevfan4life said:

                He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology)

                It's comes from The Dr. Seuss Collection. Called "Horton hears a Who & than Hue".. it maybe a bumpy ride.. 🥷

                Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
                The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • gumby73G gumby73

                  @clevfan4life said:

                  He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology)

                  It's comes from The Dr. Seuss Collection. Called "Horton hears a Who & than Hue".. it maybe a bumpy ride.. 🥷

                  The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                  • 57k Posts
                  • 4k Reputation
                  The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @gumby73 said:

                  It's comes from The Dr. Seuss Collection. Called "Horton hears a Who & than Hue".. it maybe a bumpy ride.. 🥷

                  Horton hears What?

                  jh4kjh4.png

                  Oh yeah:

                  The+Who.jpg

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • gftChrisG gftChris

                    @clevfan4life said:

                    He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

                    You get that linebackers have to cover occasionally, right? I mean, I know you want us to switch to a 4-3 (and we do keep drafting 4-3 ends to convert to 3-4 DE or OLB), but we don't run a traditional, rush your two outside guys every time front.

                    Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                    • 24k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by Clevfan4life
                    #9

                    @gftchris said:

                    You get that linebackers have to cover occasionally, right? I mean, I know you want us to switch to a 4-3 (and we do keep drafting 4-3 ends to convert to 3-4 DE or OLB), but we don't run a traditional, rush your two outside guys every time front.

                    But what u have to understand is that the hybrid 3-4 strong side or whatever nomenclature they use, is a guy you drop mainly into a shallow zone. Think harrison in pgh, what did lebeau have him do when he dropped? He wasnt tailing slot receivers across the middle in man coverage was he? No ge dropped back and "killed" any poor hapless slot that dared cross his face.

                    I have no problem with a hybrid being used in "certain" coverages. But if i see ogbah or kruger chasing guys half their size all over the field like we saw last year, than no im out for the year. Why watch that crap again?

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • joedawg69 J
                      • 133 Posts
                      • 10 Reputation
                      J joedawg69 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I am not a big fan of taking a 4-3 DE and making him a 3-4 OLB but I am not ready to call him a bust just yet either. I understand it is harder to make the change than to just draft an OLB; but, that does not mean it will not work. I will wait and see.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • tiamat63 tiamat63T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Week One Done One Month Later One Year In Very Popular
                        • 13k Posts
                        • 5k Reputation
                        tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I have no issue with players being asked and coached to make the transition. I just wish we would have take a more viable candidate.

                        C 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • tiamat63T tiamat63

                          I have no issue with players being asked and coached to make the transition. I just wish we would have take a more viable candidate.

                          Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                          • 24k Posts
                          • 1k Reputation
                          C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @tiamat63 said:

                          I have no issue with players being asked and coached to make the transition. I just wish we would have take a more viable candidate.

                          I kind of concur since i didnt think og was that good of s 4-3 DE candidate. They saw something i guess

                          gumby73G 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • C Clevfan4life

                            @tiamat63 said:

                            I have no issue with players being asked and coached to make the transition. I just wish we would have take a more viable candidate.

                            I kind of concur since i didnt think og was that good of s 4-3 DE candidate. They saw something i guess

                            gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 11k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @clevfan4life said:

                            I kind of concur since i didnt think og was that good of s 4-3 DE candidate. They saw something i guess

                            Ogbah went 32. 33.K. Dodd 36.M. Jack 39.N.Spence 41.R.Ragland 42.K. Correa.. If they wanted a OLB that can drop in coverage. Damn they must see a lot in OB & must of hated Jacks medical..

                            Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • One Post One PostO
                              • 4k Posts
                              • 284 Reputation
                              One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              The same with Bosa. You know I've been wanting to say something for a while so here it goes...

                              I've had different jobs and have been a part of a working team with the goal of making money and at the same time taking time for the details that prove a days work that make it worth doing. I've met and worked with some that just couldn't cut the mustard. You've been there before too ... It just wasn't the right situation to put the person where they can succeed.

                              I had a job as a garbage man for a couple of months. I was like a fish out of the water and I just couldn't mix with the other gents. I've always taken pride in my cleanliness and I'm really picky about my teeth. These guys I worked with made me feel like a pariah and for no reason other than I wasn't accepted. I quit that job.

                              Now years later I'm in a different position and I'm still a quirk when it comes down to my hygiene and I run into the guys I worked with from time to time. I don't say anything I mean why would I? Life is about opportunities and taking them into something for a future. No one has ever given me a chance and I'm not complaining. Whenever I get the chance to make someone's life better I try to treat them well and give them a shot. Why not?

                              Same in football. Put them in a situation where they can succeed rather than overlook someone out of ignorance or stubbornness.

                              https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                              Canton MikeC 1 Reply Last reply
                              👍
                              Quote Reply
                              • One PostO One Post

                                The same with Bosa. You know I've been wanting to say something for a while so here it goes...

                                I've had different jobs and have been a part of a working team with the goal of making money and at the same time taking time for the details that prove a days work that make it worth doing. I've met and worked with some that just couldn't cut the mustard. You've been there before too ... It just wasn't the right situation to put the person where they can succeed.

                                I had a job as a garbage man for a couple of months. I was like a fish out of the water and I just couldn't mix with the other gents. I've always taken pride in my cleanliness and I'm really picky about my teeth. These guys I worked with made me feel like a pariah and for no reason other than I wasn't accepted. I quit that job.

                                Now years later I'm in a different position and I'm still a quirk when it comes down to my hygiene and I run into the guys I worked with from time to time. I don't say anything I mean why would I? Life is about opportunities and taking them into something for a future. No one has ever given me a chance and I'm not complaining. Whenever I get the chance to make someone's life better I try to treat them well and give them a shot. Why not?

                                Same in football. Put them in a situation where they can succeed rather than overlook someone out of ignorance or stubbornness.

                                Canton Mike Canton MikeC
                                • 4k Posts
                                • 2k Reputation
                                Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                One Post From the Truth said:

                                The same with Bosa. You know I've been wanting to say something for a while so here it goes...

                                I've had different jobs and have been a part of a working team with the goal of making money and at the same time taking time for the details that prove a days work that make it worth doing. I've met and worked with some that just couldn't cut the mustard. You've been there before too ... It just wasn't the right situation to put the person where they can succeed.

                                I had a job as a garbage man for a couple of months. I was like a fish out of the water and I just couldn't mix with the other gents. I've always taken pride in my cleanliness and I'm really picky about my teeth. These guys I worked with made me feel like a pariah and for no reason other than I wasn't accepted. I quit that job.

                                Now years later I'm in a different position and I'm still a quirk when it comes down to my hygiene and I run into the guys I worked with from time to time. I don't say anything I mean why would I? Life is about opportunities and taking them into something for a future. No one has ever given me a chance and I'm not complaining. Whenever I get the chance to make someone's life better I try to treat them well and give them a shot. Why not?

                                Same in football. Put them in a situation where they can succeed rather than overlook someone out of ignorance or stubbornness.

                                I like your attitude!

                                Mike

                                IN DORSEY I TRUST
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • C Clevfan4life

                                  He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

                                  Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 11k Posts
                                  • 6k Reputation
                                  FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
                                  #16

                                  @clevfan4life said:

                                  He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

                                  This is a gigantic reason I didn't Bosa when you were posting about him constantly. He was either going to be a 5 technique here or wondering if he retreats or rushes every down. From a guy that's never been asked to think pre-snap - it's an enormous change. Aside from that, I'd hate to see a 275 lb guy responsible for Gio Bernard in the flats or hook zone. I'm not exactly seeing Lawrence Taylor agility here. Kam Wimbley had a promising rookie year here when he was only asked to rush the QB. Shortly thereafter, teams started to throw to the flats on his side of the field. You know what he was asked to do for the first time as an NFL soph? Think. "Do I retreat to the flats." It was like we renamed our puppy dawg Stay. Come here STAY! Go STAY! Did we even give him a second contract? Poor guy! Baltimore drafted a perfect 2 gap star Haloti Ngata after we drafted him and then Pittsburgh drafted OLBer Lamarr Woodley a round later. Our division kicked our ASS in the front office right there.

                                  Regardless of DC, I've never liked the type of pass rush we've had out of the 3-4 dating all the way back to when we were #1 against the run in 1986 with a 12-4 record. We couldn't hurry the passers to save our lives come post season. It can work if you have the right personnel with very instinctive and highly athletic LBers and the right design. In the past, the Joey Porters and Jason Gildons didn't start immediately because guys like Chad Brown, Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd were frequenting Pro Bowls so the newbies received 2-3 years of learning curve under LeBeau/Previous DCs teaching the system while their job was being role modeled by an elite performer. Zone blitzes aren't just complicated to face. They're complicated to learn especially if you have to expedite the learning curve to the growing pains of a rookie deep in thought for the first time. We've never found the personnel to justify the patience needed for it all.

                                  When Horton was replaced here for 2014, Kruger said he was excited about not worrying/wondering if he needed to cover a zone in lieu of rushing the passer. That means he was uncomfortable as a veteran with the process. If he bellyached about it again in 2015 this is a trend telling me he should have looked a taker running a 4-3 defense. Opposing offenses will find which edge is uncomfortable with zone coverage responsibilities and exploit it. Anyone remember NE's comeback? It felt like their RB had about 15 receptions in the 2nd half. Guess what they were identifying?

                                  I'm old school studdorn where I would be fine with a traditional 4-3 where I would have welcomed Bosa here for that. Bosa isn't Lawrence Taylor but I could see him being something close to what Michael Strahan was out of a 3 point every down if he packs the same desire. Strahan wasn't born to back pedal but he did chase his dreams running down QBs. I always enjoyed seeing Walter Johnson and Jerry Sherk lining up as our DTs; inside and so did MLBs - Bob Babich and Dick Ambrose. For some reason, the only time I remembered a Pro Bowl pass rush off the edge here it came from Jamir Miller. His career ended with a torn achilles the very next preseason. I know we've complained a lot about how bad our FO has been at finding the right WRs - but our FO has been just as bad/worse at finding edge rushers.

                                  This year? We've found productive prospects that can fetch and catch as well as sic and sack. If memory serves me right, most of these guys also had some good jumps in the assessments measuring explosiveness at Indy to help explain recent results on the field and what is projected ahead. I may not have very many reasons to trust the 3-4 in a passing era (in Cleveland); but I have a really good feeling about the players, FO and coaching staff we have in tact right now. If this franchise could win 7 games in 2014 - why join the crowd putting their 2016 game faces in the sand next ostriches? We have guys coming over from England, others traveling to Miami or Nashville or however many out of state guys coming to Cleveland for games throughout the year. Those aren't sissies. They are reasons why we're the best fan base on the planet just like those in here talking about this team year round through thick and thin.

                                  I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                                  C 1 Reply Last reply
                                  👍
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • gftChrisG gftChris

                                    @clevfan4life said:

                                    He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

                                    You get that linebackers have to cover occasionally, right? I mean, I know you want us to switch to a 4-3 (and we do keep drafting 4-3 ends to convert to 3-4 DE or OLB), but we don't run a traditional, rush your two outside guys every time front.

                                    Mudfly MudflyM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 7k Posts
                                    • 1k Reputation
                                    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @gftchris said:

                                    You get that linebackers have to cover occasionally, right?

                                    Occasionally?....Ha!....it a passing league now....3-4-5 receivers sets, 2 TE's and backs catching the ball......LB's have to cover period.....and slow ass 270 lb one trick dinosaurs cant get it done....

                                    @clevfan4life said:

                                    No ge dropped back and "killed" any poor hapless slot that dared cross his face.

                                    I have no problem with a hybrid being used in "certain" coverages. But if i see ogbah or kruger chasing guys half their size all over the field like we saw last year, than no im out for the year. Why watch that crap again?

                                    It's not the system that sucks.....its the players....hence, the reason Harrison(as per your example) creams the guy and protects his territory, but Kruger gets burned......

                                    Besides, of the hundreds of plays that he wasnt covering, it's not as if he was tackling anyone or getting any sacks....

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • FlugelF Flugel

                                      @clevfan4life said:

                                      He's gonna play the "elephant" (hortons terminology) so i hope they put his hands down a decent amt. And if horyon is gonna ask him to do shit in coverage that pet adked of kruger.....im out. I will sit the fuck out till hortons fired cause i know our def will be a shitshow so whats the point of watching RG dealing with nothing but pass rush cause the opposing offenses will get up on us quick. Whats will be the point of watching kessler come in at mid season and get killed all the same cause our defense cant hold its water and our o line is in panic pass protect almost the entire season...

                                      This is a gigantic reason I didn't Bosa when you were posting about him constantly. He was either going to be a 5 technique here or wondering if he retreats or rushes every down. From a guy that's never been asked to think pre-snap - it's an enormous change. Aside from that, I'd hate to see a 275 lb guy responsible for Gio Bernard in the flats or hook zone. I'm not exactly seeing Lawrence Taylor agility here. Kam Wimbley had a promising rookie year here when he was only asked to rush the QB. Shortly thereafter, teams started to throw to the flats on his side of the field. You know what he was asked to do for the first time as an NFL soph? Think. "Do I retreat to the flats." It was like we renamed our puppy dawg Stay. Come here STAY! Go STAY! Did we even give him a second contract? Poor guy! Baltimore drafted a perfect 2 gap star Haloti Ngata after we drafted him and then Pittsburgh drafted OLBer Lamarr Woodley a round later. Our division kicked our ASS in the front office right there.

                                      Regardless of DC, I've never liked the type of pass rush we've had out of the 3-4 dating all the way back to when we were #1 against the run in 1986 with a 12-4 record. We couldn't hurry the passers to save our lives come post season. It can work if you have the right personnel with very instinctive and highly athletic LBers and the right design. In the past, the Joey Porters and Jason Gildons didn't start immediately because guys like Chad Brown, Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd were frequenting Pro Bowls so the newbies received 2-3 years of learning curve under LeBeau/Previous DCs teaching the system while their job was being role modeled by an elite performer. Zone blitzes aren't just complicated to face. They're complicated to learn especially if you have to expedite the learning curve to the growing pains of a rookie deep in thought for the first time. We've never found the personnel to justify the patience needed for it all.

                                      When Horton was replaced here for 2014, Kruger said he was excited about not worrying/wondering if he needed to cover a zone in lieu of rushing the passer. That means he was uncomfortable as a veteran with the process. If he bellyached about it again in 2015 this is a trend telling me he should have looked a taker running a 4-3 defense. Opposing offenses will find which edge is uncomfortable with zone coverage responsibilities and exploit it. Anyone remember NE's comeback? It felt like their RB had about 15 receptions in the 2nd half. Guess what they were identifying?

                                      I'm old school studdorn where I would be fine with a traditional 4-3 where I would have welcomed Bosa here for that. Bosa isn't Lawrence Taylor but I could see him being something close to what Michael Strahan was out of a 3 point every down if he packs the same desire. Strahan wasn't born to back pedal but he did chase his dreams running down QBs. I always enjoyed seeing Walter Johnson and Jerry Sherk lining up as our DTs; inside and so did MLBs - Bob Babich and Dick Ambrose. For some reason, the only time I remembered a Pro Bowl pass rush off the edge here it came from Jamir Miller. His career ended with a torn achilles the very next preseason. I know we've complained a lot about how bad our FO has been at finding the right WRs - but our FO has been just as bad/worse at finding edge rushers.

                                      This year? We've found productive prospects that can fetch and catch as well as sic and sack. If memory serves me right, most of these guys also had some good jumps in the assessments measuring explosiveness at Indy to help explain recent results on the field and what is projected ahead. I may not have very many reasons to trust the 3-4 in a passing era (in Cleveland); but I have a really good feeling about the players, FO and coaching staff we have in tact right now. If this franchise could win 7 games in 2014 - why join the crowd putting their 2016 game faces in the sand next ostriches? We have guys coming over from England, others traveling to Miami or Nashville or however many out of state guys coming to Cleveland for games throughout the year. Those aren't sissies. They are reasons why we're the best fan base on the planet just like those in here talking about this team year round through thick and thin.

                                      Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                                      • 24k Posts
                                      • 1k Reputation
                                      C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      This obviously remains to be seen, but of all the 4-3 DE's coming out of college bosa seemed to me the one who could handle it. I thought he looked pretty comfortable firezoning in fickels scheme. Plus bosa is s natural football talent. His onfield IQ is some of the best ive seen even out of nfl players. Thats whete the erroneous notion csme from that he wasnt "twitchy" enough. Cause he would hesitate on snaps a split second and then have the play dead to rights. And he had the technique and stength to stiff the linemsn trying to block him so that he could hold off another second and make the runner commit to a lane instead of reading the edge protector. You almost cant teach this stuff otherwise everybody would be doing it.

                                      I still think he would have been an amazing addition to our defense. SD obviously thinks they csn fit him inyo thrir 3-4

                                      @flugel said:

                                      This is a gigantic reason I didn't Bosa when you were posting about him constantly. He was either going to be a 5 technique here or wondering if he retreats or rushes every down. From a guy that's never been asked to think pre-snap - it's an enormous change. Aside from that, I'd hate to see a 275 lb guy responsible for Gio Bernard in the flats or hook zone. I'm not exactly seeing Lawrence Taylor agility here. Kam Wimbley had a promising rookie year here when he was only asked to rush the QB. Shortly thereafter, teams started to throw to the flats on his side of the field. You know what he was asked to do for the first time as an NFL soph? Think. "Do I retreat to the flats." It was like we renamed our puppy dawg Stay. Come here STAY! Go STAY! Did we even give him a second contract? Poor guy! Baltimore drafted a perfect 2 gap star Haloti Ngata after we drafted him and then Pittsburgh drafted OLBer Lamarr Woodley a round later. Our division kicked our ASS in the front office right there.

                                      Regardless of DC, I've never liked the type of pass rush we've had out of the 3-4 dating all the way back to when we were #1 against the run in 1986 with a 12-4 record. We couldn't hurry the passers to save our lives come post season. It can work if you have the right personnel with very instinctive and highly athletic LBers and the right design. In the past, the Joey Porters and Jason Gildons didn't start immediately because guys like Chad Brown, Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd were frequenting Pro Bowls so the newbies received 2-3 years of learning curve under LeBeau/Previous DCs teaching the system while their job was being role modeled by an elite performer. Zone blitzes aren't just complicated to face. They're complicated to learn especially if you have to expedite the learning curve to the growing pains of a rookie deep in thought for the first time. We've never found the personnel to justify the patience needed for it all.

                                      When Horton was replaced here for 2014, Kruger said he was excited about not worrying/wondering if he needed to cover a zone in lieu of rushing the passer. That means he was uncomfortable as a veteran with the process. If he bellyached about it again in 2015 this is a trend telling me he should have looked a taker running a 4-3 defense. Opposing offenses will find which edge is uncomfortable with zone coverage responsibilities and exploit it. Anyone remember NE's comeback? It felt like their RB had about 15 receptions in the 2nd half. Guess what they were identifying?

                                      I'm old school studdorn where I would be fine with a traditional 4-3 where I would have welcomed Bosa here for that. Bosa isn't Lawrence Taylor but I could see him being something close to what Michael Strahan was out of a 3 point every down if he packs the same desire. Strahan wasn't born to back pedal but he did chase his dreams running down QBs. I always enjoyed seeing Walter Johnson and Jerry Sherk lining up as our DTs; inside and so did MLBs - Bob Babich and Dick Ambrose. For some reason, the only time I remembered a Pro Bowl pass rush off the edge here it came from Jamir Miller. His career ended with a torn achilles the very next preseason. I know we've complained a lot about how bad our FO has been at finding the right WRs - but our FO has been just as bad/worse at finding edge rushers.

                                      This year? We've found productive prospects that can fetch and catch as well as sic and sack. If memory serves me right, most of these guys also had some good jumps in the assessments measuring explosiveness at Indy to help explain recent results on the field and what is projected ahead. I may not have very many reasons to trust the 3-4 in a passing era (in Cleveland); but I have a really good feeling about the players, FO and coaching staff we have in tact right now. If this franchise could win 7 games in 2014 - why join the crowd putting their 2016 game faces in the sand next ostriches? We have guys coming over from England, others traveling to Miami or Nashville or however many out of state guys coming to Cleveland for games throughout the year. Those aren't sissies. They are reasons why we're the best fan base on the planet just like those in here talking about this team year round through thick and thin.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • jiggins7919 jiggins7919J Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 5k Posts
                                        • 1k Reputation
                                        jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        I'm really liking what I read about Ogbah right now. Obviously, this is only OTA's and whatnot, but his attitude is spot on, and you can't teach 6'4 270 with speed. Either you have it, or you don't. Multiple defensive players for us have already marveled at Ogbah's physical attributes. Let's hope it continues when the pads come on in two months. Something tells me it will. Maybe not right away...but I really believe this guy is going to be a player.

                                        We need a few things to go our way, no doubt about it. If they do, then we our Browns could have some pivotal defensive players for years to come. Orchard, Cooper, Nassib, Ogbah, and possibly some others. I mean, let's face it. Just about everything will depend on our DEFENSE. Hue Jackson likes to run the ball, so that means our defense will have to keep us in the damn game. Remember last year when we'd try to run it a bit early in the game, but then we'd punt immediately and be down 10-0, and then we had to pass every down? Yeah, that can't happen this season or we'll see the same result. We need some defensive players to REALLY step up and keep us in the game so we can mix the run in like Hue wants to. I'm dying to see what Hue can do with Duke and Crow.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply

                                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                        Register Login
                                        Reply
                                        • Reply as topic
                                        Log in to reply
                                        • Oldest to Newest
                                        • Newest to Oldest
                                        • Most Votes


                                        Theme
                                        • System
                                        • Light
                                        • Dark
                                        The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                        The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                        • First post
                                          Last post
                                        0
                                        • Forums
                                        • Recent
                                        • Popular
                                        • Users
                                        • Donate