Skip to content

when does optimism start?

The Browns Board
97 28 3.3k
  • @gumby73 said:

    Bless you Toxic. Knew it was just not me. Edit--For those looking for a good article on our OL rebuild, bleacherreport.com has a good outlook of now & whats to come of our OL. rebuild. tried to post it won't let me, but maybe someone can? left side remain the same, C-Erving(lord help us. article says his natural position at FSU but LT was) RG-Greco/Pasztor RT-Bailey/Bowie/Shon Coleman. Drango looks to be the replacement of Greco due to a better power line blocker than Greco's ZBS technique. Sounds like Power Blocking scheme with a tweaking West coast offense to get RG3 out of the pocket on quick reads..

    Read a similar article yesterday in Dawg Pound Daily. Did not think it was worth posting, but here it is...

    https://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/06/05/cleveland-browns-rebuilt-offensive-line-2016/

    @tour2ma said:

    Read a similar article yesterday in Dawg Pound Daily. Did not think it was worth posting, but here it is...

    https://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/06/05/cleveland-browns-rebuilt-offensive-line-2016/

    Nah Tour- according to Ghoolie all you need is some big fat slob Sumos- there's no technique or skill set required. 🙂

  • lol...

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

  • IM JUST READY FOR SOME FUCKING FOOTBALL!!!!!!! IT'S JUNE AND IM SICK OF WAITING FOR THE PITCHERS IN BASEBALL. JUST THROW THE MFer!!!!

    One Post From the Truth said:

    IM JUST READY FOR SOME FUCKING FOOTBALL!!!!!!! IT'S JUNE AND IM SICK OF WAITING FOR THE PITCHERS IN BASEBALL. JUST THROW THE MFer!!!!

    I'm with you on this one!

  • lol...

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

    @tour2ma said:

    lol...

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

    Why?

  • lol...

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

    @tour2ma said:

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

    Thanks T, that's the exact same post i read in bleacher. As our OL coach explain your thoughts of BS please? The only BS I still see is what Farmer screwed up in drafting Erving. Letting Mack go get a offer from Jags instead of paying the man & same with Schartz? we gotta move on..

  • lol...

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

    @tour2ma said:

    lol...

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

    You don't ask your 4 batter who weighs 250lbs to steal 3rd..... Right tool for the right job.

  • It certainly explains what was going on. It also shows the complete stupidity

    of Farmer/Pettine and co.

    Meanwhile, I just saw the local sports...they had a quick interview with Danny Shelton. He said

    their coaches know what they are doing, etc.

    And, he really has lost weight, and looks a lot quicker on the short clip of him practicing.

    Seriously looking more athletic. That should scare offensive lines....

  • That little video clip I saw was crazy. That's a BIG guy moving like that. I used to play volleyball (indoor) with several Samoan guys, and they were each 6'2 and easily 300 pounds....but they could JUMP. It was the strangest thing, kind of like how a bumblebee isn't supposed to fly. LOL.

    We need several guys on our team to "make the leap", and I hope it happens soon. It happens to teams ALL the time in the NFL, and it's PAST time it happen for us. Like, what round was Antonio Brown drafted in? Did anyone think HE'D be the best WR in the league? We need some things like that to our way, and maybe it's time. Shelton, Xavier Cooper, Orchard, Kirksey, Ogbah, and Nassib...hell...even GILBERT. I want to see them be impact players! (wouldn't bet on it, but hopeful. LOL)

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol...

    The reason I originally did not post he article is that I thought it was bullshit.

    Why?

    @gftchris said:

    Why?

    @gumby73 said:

    As our OL coach explain your thoughts of BS please? The only BS I still see is what Farmer screwed up in drafting Erving. Letting Mack go get a offer from Jags instead of paying the man & same with Schartz?

    @d-bone said:

    You don't ask your 4 batter who weighs 250lbs to steal 3rd..... Right tool for the right job.

    The premises simply don't ring true...

    1. The "incompatibility" of the ZBS with the Vertical passing game. I don't think we ran the vertical enough to be characterized by that passing attack. And we ran more effectively behind power-gap schemes in 2015.

    2. Mack, Greco and Schwartz as ZBS-only, or even predominantly ZBS, OL... with the latter drafted specifically for the ZBS... right... cause TR was a ZBS back. Mack and Greco anchored well. Schwartz had to learn how to move under Shanny.

    Just BS...

  • @gftchris said:

    Why?

    @gumby73 said:

    As our OL coach explain your thoughts of BS please? The only BS I still see is what Farmer screwed up in drafting Erving. Letting Mack go get a offer from Jags instead of paying the man & same with Schartz?

    @d-bone said:

    You don't ask your 4 batter who weighs 250lbs to steal 3rd..... Right tool for the right job.

    The premises simply don't ring true...

    1. The "incompatibility" of the ZBS with the Vertical passing game. I don't think we ran the vertical enough to be characterized by that passing attack. And we ran more effectively behind power-gap schemes in 2015.

    2. Mack, Greco and Schwartz as ZBS-only, or even predominantly ZBS, OL... with the latter drafted specifically for the ZBS... right... cause TR was a ZBS back. Mack and Greco anchored well. Schwartz had to learn how to move under Shanny.

    Just BS...

    @tour2ma said:

    The premises simply don't ring true...

    1. And we ran more effectively behind power-gap schemes in 2015.

    2. Mack, Greco and Schwartz as ZBS-only, or even predominantly ZBS, OL... with the latter drafted specifically for the ZBS... right... cause TR was a ZBS back. Mack and Greco anchored well. Schwartz had to learn how to move under Shanny.

    Just BS...

    1. but are we correct in saying Erving just looked way over his head till we went full power-gap? 2. your dead right. never considered the TR factor. nor did he....Knowing Cam's pass protection leaves a lot to be desired, just looking for a positive 🤔

  • @tour2ma said:

    The premises simply don't ring true...

    1. And we ran more effectively behind power-gap schemes in 2015.

    2. Mack, Greco and Schwartz as ZBS-only, or even predominantly ZBS, OL... with the latter drafted specifically for the ZBS... right... cause TR was a ZBS back. Mack and Greco anchored well. Schwartz had to learn how to move under Shanny.

    Just BS...

    1. but are we correct in saying Erving just looked way over his head till we went full power-gap? 2. your dead right. never considered the TR factor. nor did he....Knowing Cam's pass protection leaves a lot to be desired, just looking for a positive 🤔

    @gumby73 said:

    1. but are we correct in saying Erving just looked way over his head till we went full power-gap?

    Not that I recall. I recall Erving looking way over his head until Paztor replaced him.

    And, of course, there was always a mix of ZBS and Power-Gap... it simply shifted thru the year.

  • @gumby73 said:

    1. but are we correct in saying Erving just looked way over his head till we went full power-gap?

    Not that I recall. I recall Erving looking way over his head until Paztor replaced him.

    And, of course, there was always a mix of ZBS and Power-Gap... it simply shifted thru the year.

    @tour2ma said:

    Not that I recall. I recall Erving looking way over his head until Paztor replaced him.

    And, of course, there was always a mix of ZBS and Power-Gap... it simply shifted thru the year.

    And the keys this year for the Browns IMO will be whether the two 2nd year players Erving in the OL and Shelton in the DL still look in over their heads or become productive, essential every down pros.

  • The optimism started in 1946 when Paul Brown and Otto Graham teamed up for the very first time. After 10 consecutive years of competing in Professional Football Championships and winning 7 of those (including 6 championship games in the NFL) - our Plymouth Rock was established for many family football traditions to follow.

    Our sabbatical from winning began with the owner. Hopefully this ownership's willingness to accept accountability for rookie mistakes enough for changes made in 2016 - restores a lot of the excitement this fan base deserves.

    If the team in 2014 can win 7 games (3 or 4 of them without Alex Mack), there's no reason this team can't do the same thing.

  • I'm interested to see our WR's, as I'm sure many people are. In the past several years, NFL fans have seen many WR rookies come in and immediately contribute, sometimes at a high level. Wouldn't it be something if that happened for us? Maybe like what the Jaguars did with Allen Robinson, Marquis Lee, and Hurns. I know that's not the norm, but as I've been saying, maybe it's time for some things to go our way for a change.

    I think the biggest aspect that will ultimately kill our team is our lack of depth. I could see us hanging tough for a while, maybe even having a 2-3 record through five games, but once the injuries start coming (and they always do to every team), I just can't see us having the requisite depth to overcome them. I honestly don't see us going 0-5, or winning 2-3 games like some analysts have said. I see us winning 5, which obviously isn't GOOD, but it could be progress.

    Many people I've talked to are acting like RG III is terrible, and his rookie year was complete luck and a result of a somewhat "gimmick system". What many don't realize is, RG III had some good moments in his next year. His numbers were drastically different, but the team was kind of a mess. You remember the heat the coach took for leaving him in the game at the end of the year? That kind of stuff destroys a team, and Robert had to recover from a serious knee injury. Things were a mess in Washington, something we know all too well.

    With a new team, RG III might just get his confidence back. He now has a coach with a reputation of working well with QB's, and a strong desire to run the ball (QB's best friend). I have totally realistic expectations for RG III and our offense. I don't think we're going to set the league on fire, and I don't think we're going to the damn playoffs or anything crazy like that. But I do think that RG III will play at a solid level. What's that mean? I believe he'll throw the ball away, he'll slide on scrambles, he'll make the necessary quick reads, and he'll have a completion percentage of over 60%. He has a history of injuries, and many QB's in the NFL miss SOME time, but I can see RG III having numbers like this: 21 TD's, 15 INT's, 3400 yards passing, and 400 yards rushing. That's the kind of year I expect for RG III in his first year with us, and if that happens, and he stays healthy...perhaps we finally have our guy.

  • I'm interested to see our WR's, as I'm sure many people are. In the past several years, NFL fans have seen many WR rookies come in and immediately contribute, sometimes at a high level. Wouldn't it be something if that happened for us? Maybe like what the Jaguars did with Allen Robinson, Marquis Lee, and Hurns. I know that's not the norm, but as I've been saying, maybe it's time for some things to go our way for a change.

    I think the biggest aspect that will ultimately kill our team is our lack of depth. I could see us hanging tough for a while, maybe even having a 2-3 record through five games, but once the injuries start coming (and they always do to every team), I just can't see us having the requisite depth to overcome them. I honestly don't see us going 0-5, or winning 2-3 games like some analysts have said. I see us winning 5, which obviously isn't GOOD, but it could be progress.

    Many people I've talked to are acting like RG III is terrible, and his rookie year was complete luck and a result of a somewhat "gimmick system". What many don't realize is, RG III had some good moments in his next year. His numbers were drastically different, but the team was kind of a mess. You remember the heat the coach took for leaving him in the game at the end of the year? That kind of stuff destroys a team, and Robert had to recover from a serious knee injury. Things were a mess in Washington, something we know all too well.

    With a new team, RG III might just get his confidence back. He now has a coach with a reputation of working well with QB's, and a strong desire to run the ball (QB's best friend). I have totally realistic expectations for RG III and our offense. I don't think we're going to set the league on fire, and I don't think we're going to the damn playoffs or anything crazy like that. But I do think that RG III will play at a solid level. What's that mean? I believe he'll throw the ball away, he'll slide on scrambles, he'll make the necessary quick reads, and he'll have a completion percentage of over 60%. He has a history of injuries, and many QB's in the NFL miss SOME time, but I can see RG III having numbers like this: 21 TD's, 15 INT's, 3400 yards passing, and 400 yards rushing. That's the kind of year I expect for RG III in his first year with us, and if that happens, and he stays healthy...perhaps we finally have our guy.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm interested to see our WR's, as I'm sure many people are. In the past several years, NFL fans have seen many WR rookies come in and immediately contribute, sometimes at a high level.

    Many people I've talked to are acting like RG III is terrible, and his rookie year was complete luck and a result of a somewhat "gimmick system". What many don't realize is, RG III had some good moments in his next year.

    Agree on the WRs... if we end up with a legit #1, then there is hope for the group as a whole.

    As for RG3... we've already seen him. Don't forget he started his 2nd season instructing his HC and OC to shit can all the Baylor-ish sets and plays that brought much of his Rookie success. He was going to play from the pocket... and he couldn't handle it.

    Has RG matured? Is he ready to accept playing however the staff wants him to play? Maybe...

    But is he capable of playing Baylor ball anymore? Did he gain pocket wisdom while on the shelf for a year? Maybe there is something "to see."

  • It certainly explains what was going on. It also shows the complete stupidity

    of Farmer/Pettine and co.

    Meanwhile, I just saw the local sports...they had a quick interview with Danny Shelton. He said

    their coaches know what they are doing, etc.

    And, he really has lost weight, and looks a lot quicker on the short clip of him practicing.

    Seriously looking more athletic. That should scare offensive lines....

    @calfoxwc said:

    It certainly explains what was going on. It also shows the complete stupidity

    of Farmer/Pettine and co.

    love ur optimism cal. just afraid i'll be hearing the same thing said about this crew in 2 years.....

  • @calfoxwc said:

    It certainly explains what was going on. It also shows the complete stupidity

    of Farmer/Pettine and co.

    love ur optimism cal. just afraid i'll be hearing the same thing said about this crew in 2 years.....

    @miktoxic said:

    love ur optimism cal. just afraid i'll be hearing the same thing said about this crew in 2 years.....

    I don't think we'll be hearing the same thing about our current crew. For one thing, our new front office didn't sign any bloated veteran contracts, and that's a good thing, right? My biggest problem so far with the FO is that we let so many people go. I wanted to keep at least ONE of Benji, Schwartz, Mack, or Gipson. Time will tell if we made the right calls.

    We have no idea how our rookie class will do, but I have to admit I like it on paper. We addressed a ton of needs and we didn't trade back with EVERY pick like I was afraid we'd do. The one thing that I didn't like was when we traded back in the third round. I believe that was the round we had back to back picks, and I was excited at seeing who we would get...and then I saw "trade!" and I was furious. I wanted Connor Cook with one of those picks, and I thought it was perfect. Hopefully I'm wrong.

  • @miktoxic said:

    love ur optimism cal. just afraid i'll be hearing the same thing said about this crew in 2 years.....

    I don't think we'll be hearing the same thing about our current crew. For one thing, our new front office didn't sign any bloated veteran contracts, and that's a good thing, right? My biggest problem so far with the FO is that we let so many people go. I wanted to keep at least ONE of Benji, Schwartz, Mack, or Gipson. Time will tell if we made the right calls.

    We have no idea how our rookie class will do, but I have to admit I like it on paper. We addressed a ton of needs and we didn't trade back with EVERY pick like I was afraid we'd do. The one thing that I didn't like was when we traded back in the third round. I believe that was the round we had back to back picks, and I was excited at seeing who we would get...and then I saw "trade!" and I was furious. I wanted Connor Cook with one of those picks, and I thought it was perfect. Hopefully I'm wrong.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    My biggest problem so far with the FO is that we let so many people go. I wanted to keep at least ONE of Benji, Schwartz, Mack, or Gipson. Time will tell if we made the right calls.

    The one thing that I didn't like was when we traded back in the third round. I believe that was the round we had back to back picks, and I was excited at seeing who we would get...and then I saw "trade!" and I was furious. I wanted Connor Cook with one of those picks, and I thought it was perfect. Hopefully I'm wrong.

    Like a lot of your post. Hope this may help your opinion. Mack & Gipson were both lost by Farmers poor contract negotiations on his own home grown talent. Mack given a matching contract offer paper that Jags dictated his value. Gipson was given a 2nd round tender instead of a contract cause Farmer questioned his worth coming off knee issue. Farmer had time to fix his wrong,never tried. As for back to back picks. That was in the 3rd round. Hue got his much needed RT in S.Coleman#176. Jets taking Hackenberg in 2nd rd. pushed Hues hand in 3rd with pick #177. Luckily we were able to find a trading partner to trade down with Carolina cause Kessler nor Cook was worth value #177 imo. After all the pre draft visits with Cook i thought he was Hues pick also. But Hue had both options still at #193. Think Hues Cal background on Kessler & Cooks background took over from there. Cook went in 4th or 5th to who?

  • I believe Cook went to Raiders in 4th or maybe 5th round. I didn't understand the pick, and God help our front office and coaches if Cook somehow turns out to be a stud and Cody flunk out. The good news is that Cook is obviously behind Carr (the OTHER guy I was screaming for), so we're not really going to see him play this year barring injury.

  • Kosar was impressed with how the qb's were doing in camp, and said

    RGIII was doing phenomally.

    That's good enough for me to not worry about the qb situation much.

    I wasn't high on Cook - just seemed like he wasn't a fit for some reason...personality/people skills.. .whatever it is.