Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Interesting article on ridiculous offseason rules

Interesting article on ridiculous offseason rules

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
10 Posts 6 Posters 522 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
    • 24k Posts
    • 1k Reputation
    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by Clevfan4life
    #1

    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2016/06/04/ben-volin-why-nfl-offseason-programs-don-properly-prepare-players/ZojXrirPKtErvXM7EcKrRL/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

    Im trying to figure out why you wont let pass rushers practice pass rushing and offensive lineman practice stopping those pass rushers....for most of the offseason. Or even more ridiculous rules like punters not being able to take direct snaps. Maybe this has something to do with why our players dont seem to make gains after we draft them. Barkevious goes and puts on 20 lbs of cheap starchy pancake fueled mass with some he bitch ex bodybuilder probably cause he is forbidden from doing it at berea with our fucking coaches who arent allowed to be near him. I mean wtf?

    One PostO 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • tiamat63 tiamat63T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Week One Done One Month Later One Year In Very Popular
      • 13k Posts
      • 5k Reputation
      tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I said this when the new CBA was signed - off season work is a fucking joke and high school players have a more demanding schedule with two a days compared to six+ figure athletes.

      C gumby73G 2 Replies Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • tiamat63T tiamat63

        I said this when the new CBA was signed - off season work is a fucking joke and high school players have a more demanding schedule with two a days compared to six+ figure athletes.

        Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
        • 24k Posts
        • 1k Reputation
        C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @tiamat63 said:

        I said this when the new CBA was signed - off season work is a fucking joke and high school players have a more demanding schedule with two a days compared to six+ figure athletes.

        But I don't get why? Why do some of the developmental players that want to stay in town and work on their craft get fucked like that? The vets, sure they go back home and do their own offseason stuff....but why can't Browns coaches work with guys offseason if they've stuck around in town? Makes no sense.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • tiamat63T tiamat63

          I said this when the new CBA was signed - off season work is a fucking joke and high school players have a more demanding schedule with two a days compared to six+ figure athletes.

          gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 11k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @tiamat63 said:

          off season work is a fucking joke and high school players have a more demanding schedule with two a days compared to six+ figure athletes.

          Your absolutely correct on this Tia. Scouting High School football in NC the 2 a days our about to end soon here. Due to heat & just the size of some of these kids. Remember there was deaths happening in NFL due to Heat & Hydration & poor coaching habits. It called for a change, but not so candy ass was needed. The HS AD's our really taking some heat on this. Parents our actually coming to the meetings & pulling Kids from practice fields. Times they are a changing..

          Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • C Clevfan4life

            http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2016/06/04/ben-volin-why-nfl-offseason-programs-don-properly-prepare-players/ZojXrirPKtErvXM7EcKrRL/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

            Im trying to figure out why you wont let pass rushers practice pass rushing and offensive lineman practice stopping those pass rushers....for most of the offseason. Or even more ridiculous rules like punters not being able to take direct snaps. Maybe this has something to do with why our players dont seem to make gains after we draft them. Barkevious goes and puts on 20 lbs of cheap starchy pancake fueled mass with some he bitch ex bodybuilder probably cause he is forbidden from doing it at berea with our fucking coaches who arent allowed to be near him. I mean wtf?

            One Post One PostO
            • 4k Posts
            • 284 Reputation
            One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @clevfan4life said:

            http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2016/06/04/ben-volin-why-nfl-offseason-programs-don-properly-prepare-players/ZojXrirPKtErvXM7EcKrRL/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

            Im trying to figure out why you wont let pass rushers practice pass rushing and offensive lineman practice stopping those pass rushers....for most of the offseason. Or even more ridiculous rules like punters not being able to take direct snaps. Maybe this has something to do with why our players dont seem to make gains after we draft them. Barkevious goes and puts on 20 lbs of cheap starchy pancake fueled mass with some he bitch ex bodybuilder probably cause he is forbidden from doing it at berea with our fucking coaches who arent allowed to be near him. I mean wtf?

            Ya I know right? If a franchise is paying millions that guy better be practicing year round. It's bullshit.
            https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #6

              It is the whole concussion bullshit thing that is the motivation behind the new practice rules.

              My point is this: if you don't want to get hurt, don't play football.

              That was a decision I made early on after I had gotten a knee blown out and took a few whacks to the head. I was just not really physically strong enough to play football and it hurt to play so I didn't except for some back yard play.

              I was built more for baseball and basketball. I played varsity level baseball, but wasn't quite good enough in hoops. I was OK....but there were other better players.

              And other than like track and field, cross country and wrestling there really were no other sports to play. And I didn't really care for just "running". (tennis and golf I guess....but I was from a working class family and those sports didn't even come into the consciousness).

              There was no soccer being played when I went to school. It may have been a sport I would have played....but no one played that.

              Mr. Make-BelieveM 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                • 24k Posts
                • 1k Reputation
                C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I understand tackling drills but all other stuff? Pass rushing and pass protect? I mean you csnt even show up in berea and practice ripping or swimming arond some bags even.

                Plus theres so much other stuff we could have our developmental guys doing to inc their strength and explosiveness that doesnt involve pads and head of the n collisions.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • The GipperT The Gipper

                  It is the whole concussion bullshit thing that is the motivation behind the new practice rules.

                  My point is this: if you don't want to get hurt, don't play football.

                  That was a decision I made early on after I had gotten a knee blown out and took a few whacks to the head. I was just not really physically strong enough to play football and it hurt to play so I didn't except for some back yard play.

                  I was built more for baseball and basketball. I played varsity level baseball, but wasn't quite good enough in hoops. I was OK....but there were other better players.

                  And other than like track and field, cross country and wrestling there really were no other sports to play. And I didn't really care for just "running". (tennis and golf I guess....but I was from a working class family and those sports didn't even come into the consciousness).

                  There was no soccer being played when I went to school. It may have been a sport I would have played....but no one played that.

                  Mr. Make-Believe Mr. Make-BelieveM Very Popular Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 719 Posts
                  • 122 Reputation
                  Mr. Make-BelieveM Mr. Make-Believe wrote on last edited by Mr. Make-Believe
                  #8

                  @the-gipper said:

                  It is the whole concussion bullshit thing that is the motivation behind the new practice rules.

                  My point is this: if you don't want to get hurt, don't play football.

                  [/color]

                  I subscribe to this line of thinking as well.

                  But the NFL has to be cognizant of legal liability. It's not out of concern for the players. Rather a protection of the bottom line.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 11k Posts
                    • 4k Reputation
                    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Just more fuel to the fire guys. Alex Marvez Fox Sports on Vets 3 day MANDATORY Camp.---No live blocking,tackling or bump & run pass coverage. NO PADS- Coaches can gauge the conditioning & readiness of Vets who may have skipped voluntary off season workouts. Per CBA- Vets under contract must report. Those who do not fined 10k daily could max out at 60k. Players can stay in building 10hrs. per day max. 31/2 hours max per day on field drills. Camp days can start from 7am & must end by 8:30pm. 1 hour for lunch & dinner. Vet players will be paid 360 bucks a day for participation as well as given meal allowances. Teams also must pay for travel expenses & provide lodging for Vets. who are coming from out of town. ROOKIES ARE PAID NOTHING..All teams must video tape practice until 30 days before the start of training camp. NFLPA can review video tape practice IF a complaint is filed against offender.. Attorneys & Some Head scratching stuff at its finest..

                    Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                      • 57k Posts
                      • 4k Reputation
                      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I guess the one thing that can be said about these rules is that they apply to everyone....so even if these rules hurt performance, at least all the teams are in the same boat.

                      But...of course, it will also mean that when the games are played that tackling techniques will likely suffer.....meaning that more people will probably get hurt making tackles because they haven't be trained properly how to do so.

                      So, it is possible that this rule could backfire and actually have the opposite effect of what it was intended to do.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply

                      Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                      Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                      With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                      Register Login
                      Reply
                      • Reply as topic
                      Log in to reply
                      • Oldest to Newest
                      • Newest to Oldest
                      • Most Votes


                      Theme
                      • System
                      • Light
                      • Dark
                      The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                      The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                      • First post
                        Last post
                      0
                      • Forums
                      • Recent
                      • Popular
                      • Users
                      • Donate