Skip to content

Cam Erving - Soooo you're tellin me there's a chance....

The Browns Board
35 14 1.3k
  • @gumby73 said:

    TB got it right, last season got RT Donovan Smith at #34 & next pick G Ali Marpet at #61. J. Winston played well behind both that became starters all season.

    Big Irv. is 6'5."(Rg3 will be a small child under center) give me a nfl DT that can't get under that at C & drive. Prove me wrong Cam but i don't see it.

    Why did you have to remind me about Ali?

    As for Erving's height... certainly works against him, but 6'5 is not without precedent for Centers, e.g. the Fins' Mike Pouncey. Difference is Pouncey plays low.

    Found this chart from 2014 on player height/weight: http://imgur.com/FBFKSdB

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @tour2ma said:

    Why did you have to remind me about Ali?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah, that hurt.

    Sometimes just being a Browns Fan hurts. What is funny the Browns used pick #51 to get Tia's guy Nate Orchard, so you two battle it out 😁. Just a thought. Think LG Joel B. is ready to flip to RG to stable right side while we slide Greco to C & put our weakest link between JT & Greco at LG? (Cam, Bailey or Pasztor) or asking to much from shuffle? Maybe Joel can help the unsure-ability at RT? Thanks, again just a blind opinion.

  • Well, Ghoulish, in his defense, hasn't said ya don't NEED an offensive line...

    he's often made it clear that you could just get offensive linemen from the teenage

    girl gymnasts on "America's Got Talent"...................

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @calfoxwc said:

    Well, Ghoulish, in his defense, hasn't said ya don't NEED an offensive line...

    he's often made it clear that you could just get offensive linemen from the teenage

    girl gymnasts on "America's Got Talent"...................

    With the response I got from VK this AM from your "Browns turning the corner" topic. I thought the Topic was changed to VK was turning the corner on BB..Got no "Told you so" nor any "Browns Hating" I Left feeling like my Ghoulish glass was half empty 😡. Keep up the good work. We will make him a rebuilt Browns Fan yet..

  • @tour2ma said:

    Why did you have to remind me about Ali?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Yeah, that hurt.

    Sometimes just being a Browns Fan hurts. What is funny the Browns used pick #51 to get Tia's guy Nate Orchard, so you two battle it out 😁. Just a thought. Think LG Joel B. is ready to flip to RG to stable right side while we slide Greco to C & put our weakest link between JT & Greco at LG? (Cam, Bailey or Pasztor) or asking to much from shuffle? Maybe Joel can help the unsure-ability at RT? Thanks, again just a blind opinion.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #21

    @gumby73 said:

    Sometimes just being a Browns Fan hurts. What is funny the Browns used pick #51 to get Tia's guy Nate Orchard, so you two battle it out 😁. Just a thought. Think LG Joel B. is ready to flip to RG to stable right side while we slide Greco to C & put our weakest link between JT & Greco at LG? (Cam, Bailey or Pasztor) or asking to much from shuffle? Maybe Joel can help the unsure-ability at RT? Thanks, again just a blind opinion.

    lol... If Ogbah ends up bookended opposite Orchard, then we are going to need a nickname for our O-O duo...

    I think I'm already on record saying Thomas-Paztor-Greco-Bito-SColeman is my starting five projection...

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    In all honesty I was hoping Ali was going to fall to the first part of the 3rd round. Would have been a complete steal.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Look T, I told you I was Blind in my opinion 😉 & Tia hope Nate at #51 works out over T's Marpet at #61 cause we stole Duke Johnson with our next pick at #77. If all else fails we blame Farmer for not trading up for T's Marpet. Ready Break!!

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Cam will be the team's sophomore of the year.

  • Look T, I told you I was Blind in my opinion 😉 & Tia hope Nate at #51 works out over T's Marpet at #61 cause we stole Duke Johnson with our next pick at #77. If all else fails we blame Farmer for not trading up for T's Marpet. Ready Break!!

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @gumby73 said:

    Look T, I told you I was Blind in my opinion 😉 & Tia hope Nate at #51 works out over T's Marpet at #61 cause we stole Duke Johnson with our next pick at #77. If all else fails we blame Farmer for not trading up for T's Marpet. Ready Break!!

    We did not necessarily need to trade up for Ali. We could have traded down the Erving pick, 1.19.

    One 2015 OL I liked, but never saw rising as fast as he has as a pro is Mitch Morse. KC tabbed him in the 2nd (early I thought) before Ali was off the board. They plugged him in at Center and he had a great rookie campaign.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Look T, I told you I was Blind in my opinion 😉 & Tia hope Nate at #51 works out over T's Marpet at #61 cause we stole Duke Johnson with our next pick at #77. If all else fails we blame Farmer for not trading up for T's Marpet. Ready Break!!

    We did not necessarily need to trade up for Ali. We could have traded down the Erving pick, 1.19.

    One 2015 OL I liked, but never saw rising as fast as he has as a pro is Mitch Morse. KC tabbed him in the 2nd (early I thought) before Ali was off the board. They plugged him in at Center and he had a great rookie campaign.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @tour2ma said:

    We did not necessarily need to trade up for Ali. We could have traded down the Erving pick, 1.19.

    One 2015 OL I liked, but never saw rising as fast as he has as a pro is Mitch Morse. KC tabbed him in the 2nd (early I thought) before Ali was off the board. They plugged him in at Center and he had a great rookie campaign.

    This is where I remember mentioning I'd be happy with trading down our 2nd 1st rounder into the late 20's (even Seattle's pick) and snagging Nate. Also recall Tour going on about Morse.

    Hindsight would have been nice to have Danny, Nate, then Ali or Morse.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Look T, I told you I was Blind in my opinion 😉 & Tia hope Nate at #51 works out over T's Marpet at #61 cause we stole Duke Johnson with our next pick at #77. If all else fails we blame Farmer for not trading up for T's Marpet. Ready Break!!

    We did not necessarily need to trade up for Ali. We could have traded down the Erving pick, 1.19.

    One 2015 OL I liked, but never saw rising as fast as he has as a pro is Mitch Morse. KC tabbed him in the 2nd (early I thought) before Ali was off the board. They plugged him in at Center and he had a great rookie campaign.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #27

    @tour2ma said:

    We did not necessarily need to trade up for Ali. We could have traded down the Erving pick, 1.19.

    One 2015 OL I liked, but never saw rising as fast as he has as a pro is Mitch Morse. KC tabbed him in the 2nd (early I thought) before Ali was off the board. They plugged him in at Center and he had a great rookie campaign.

    Mitch went #49

    @tiamat63 said:

    This is where I remember mentioning I'd be happy with trading down our 2nd 1st rounder into the late 20's (even Seattle's pick) and snagging Nate. Also recall Tour going on about Morse.

    Hindsight would have been nice to have Danny, Nate, then Ali or Morse.

    Correctamundo Tia, We could have traded down with any of the next 9 teams from 19 if they would give up their 2nd rounder, to get Ali. The Saints at #31 was the only option to see Mitch Morse

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #28

    VesnaKociper said:

    I never said that either. What I said was, OL are the least athletically talented men on a football field. They are required ot be big, fat, and strong, but they are after all, a dime a dozen. Fatasses.

    Is that what all those lost episodes of the Mandrell Sisters have taught you on Sunday afternoons? Seems to me if your dime a dozen theory was all that was necessary - we grossly underachieved in our first 32 games back with 5 and 27 football.

    When this offense has worked in the past, we've had talent like Cody Risien, Joe Dellamaleure, Tony Jones, Steve Everitt. It even looked good in 2007 when we had Hank Fraley pulling from his Center position in his 30s to lead a sweep. It didn't hurt when to have Eric Steinbach and rookie Joe Thomas to the left either. IMO, the problems surfaced when Eric Steinbach couldn't answer the bell with career ending back surgery regardless of adding Mack at Center. We've gone the dime a dozen solution to Steinbach all the way up until the selection of Joel Bitonio. What came next? A 7-4 start nobody saw coming.

    If anything, we took an absolute nobody like Peyton Hillis at RB and our line helped him overachieve. The team in Baltimore thought Jamal Lewis had dead wheels to the extent the didn't even mind him coming to a team in their division. He rushed for about 1300 yards in 2007 and added something like 10 TDs when our running game offered a career backup QB like DA the balance to promote 29 TD passes. If dime a dozens never mattered, all we had to do was keep Kevin Shaffer and Joe Andruzzi in charge of the blind side of QB instead of teaming up Joe Thomas with Eric Steinbach.

    Smart teams that want to run the ball make sure they have good OGs like the ones employing Yanda and DeCastro. I'm real happy we drafted Bitonio because my first impression of him came in a good scheme fit.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #29

    I don't even think Ghoolie actually believes any of this.

    He just keeps posting all this nonsense because he combines the physical attractiveness of a cleft palate with the child's basic need to feel significant through defiance of authority.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Nobody that has set foot on a field believes that a good oline are a bunch of throw away fatasses.

    Likewise for the dline. If you can't win or draw neutral in the trenches then you don't have a team capable of sustaining sucess. That simple.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #31

    I think VK's main point is you can mine for OL deep in the draft... and many teams do with reasonable results.

    He just has trouble expressing himself...

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Cam Erving had lousy coaching...and lost his OL coach just as the season started.

    Having said that, he didn't look like he knew how to play tackle football when he got in games.

    I don't have much hope for him, Gilbert or Josh Gordon.

  • I think VK's main point is you can mine for OL deep in the draft... and many teams do with reasonable results.

    He just has trouble expressing himself...

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #33

    @tour2ma said:

    you can mine for OL deep in the draft... and many teams do with reasonable results.

    The success rate for OL picked deep in the draft [5th and later?] is no better/no worse than the success rate for any other position picked deep in the draft. "Reasonable Results" is some grade-A historical revisionism, aka data cherrypicking.

    For every Carl Nicks [5th round, Saints, 2008] I can give you Garrett Gilkey, Ryan Miller, Jason Pinkston etc. These guys are great - for me to poop on.

    Tom Brady was a 5th rounder, but what percentage of QB's taken in rounds 5-7 are first-ballot HoF'ers? That fraction is only Tom Brady in the numerator and a Spergon Wynn [Round 6, 2000] look-alike contest in the denominator.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Agree... not my philosophy... just trying to explain VK's... which is dangerous I guess.

    Day 3 and UDFA crops get pretty lean, but you can afford to sift thru a lot at low/no cost for that gem or two.

    Day 1 is by-and-large a very expensive place to shop. Seems that for every stud there's an underachiever, if not outright dud. Even consensus "can't miss" prospects, e.g., Greg Robinson, disappoint.

    Personally I like Day 2 for value. I think that's where athletic prospects who can be coached up reside.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #35
    Tom Brady was a 5th rounder,

    6th round

    ...he wasn't worth a 5th at the time apparently.