Will McCown be given the chance to beat out RG III?
-
Let's let training camp open up then we can have this discussion. Right now it's fan favorite vs the free agent pick up with out thought to the season having not even started yet.
-
^+1
-
This board is becoming unreadable.
-
some threads are. Whiney bitchy belligerence, etc etc etc etc etc etc....
-
A chance? Yes. But as you said Hue is invested in RG3, so it's more a case of his job to lose.
Interesting scenario is if RG3 does lose the job... and clearly does so. Do you cut him?
A chance? Yes. But as you said Hue is invested in RG3, so it's more a case of his job to lose.
Interesting scenario is if RG3 does lose the job... and clearly does so. Do you cut him?
Of course Hue do. We Want Winners..Some people even choke on a breath of fresh air
(hue got it or hue don't) -
Jesus guys, I don't understand why a thread has to turn into madness.
I agree that having this discussion after camp makes sense, but the question of whether McCown will start if he's playing the best is still interesting. Mainly because RG III is pretty much the only offensive "veteran" we signed in free agency, and if he doesn't start, it could potentially be an ugly mark on our new "analytics" approach. I'm not saying there were a TON of veteran QB's out there to sign, there hardly ever are, but there were others that we could've brought in for a look. Mark Sanchez? (I don't like him, but he's an example). Brock Osweiler? Ryan Fitzpatrick? (not sure if he was allowed to sign elsewhere...don't remember). Collin Kaepernick? (don't like him at ALL) And I'm sure I'm missing a few. Again, definitely NOT people that get a fan's blood pumping, but alternate names to RG III. I think what scares me the most about RG III is the recent report that stated we were the only team that wanted to bring him in for a chance to start. Think about that for a moment.
The multiple reports that McCown threw better and looked more comfortable shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Maybe at 37 years old, McCown is primed for the best part of his career similar to what Rich Gannon did with the Raiders. It's an extraordinary long shot, but at least there is some precedent.
Another poster posed another interesting question...if RG III doesn't perform as desired, do we cut HIM? I don't know what that means to our salary cap, or what he's guaranteed, but it's the first time I thought about RG III not making the final roster. I think he'd REALLY have to shit the sheets, AND either Kessler or another QB on the roster would have to make tremendous strides. I really don't see a scenario where RG III doesn't make the roster, but if his head isn't right, and his confidence is still in shambles, anything is possible.
Hue Jackson has barely had a chance to work with RG III, and I'm not about to make assumptions on minicamps or OTA's. I merely wanted to open up a thread for discussion because it's the slow time of the year and I wanted to talk football. I think many people forget that RG III was a very accurate passer, especially for being so young. He throws a tight spiral and has good velocity on the ball. Additionally, he appears to throw well on the run and it's been reported that he's working tirelessly on throwing it out of bounds and getting rid of the ball quickly.
If I HAD to guess on how it will turn out, I think it will go something like this: RG III will somewhat struggle during the first 2-3 weeks of training camp, and even into the first or second preseason game. By the time the third and important preseason game shows up, I think we'll have a good idea of how his progression is going. I'm NOT saying we will know how good he'll be, I just believe that we'll have an idea on whether he has the ability to improve in Jackson's offense.
-
Agree, jiggins, it's an interesting thread...
Not sure I see Analytics' stake in RG's fate. I never had the feeling he was an analytics decision; more that he was Hue's personal choice.
My "cut RG3" question was predicated on determining he is not the reclamation project Hue thought he was. Agree he'd have to really be bad, which I think means fail on both the mastery of the offense as well as show little improvement technically. But were that the case, it would make sense to dump him in favor of a young prospect that could be stashed on the PS.
-
I think Hue Jackson will play the best QB that he has on the roster, no matter what the situation is, and will not put up with the front office intimidation that the others did. If Josh can prove to Hue that he is that guy; then, Josh will be the starter.
-
Makes no real difference since we all know McCown holds the ball too long and will be injured within 6 games or less. All moot.
-
Mccown threw for 457 yards vs the ratbirds last year.
Search ResultsMcCown shines as Browns top Ravens in overtime - NFL.comwww.nfl.com/.../mccown-shines-as-browns-top-ravens-in-overtimeOct 11, 2015 - Josh McCown became the first Browns quarterback in franchise history to throw for 300-plus yards in three straight weeks. His 457 passing ...NFLBrowns QB Josh McCown stuns Ravens, sets team record - NFL.comwww.nfl.com/.../browns-qb-josh-mccown-stuns-ravens-sets-team-re...Oct 12, 2015 - McCown completed 36 of 51 passes with two touchdowns and 457 yardspassing in a 33-30 overtime win, becoming the first quarterback in ...NFLJosh McCown throws for franchise-record 457 yards in Browns 33-30 ...www.cleveland.com/.../josh_mccown_cements_a_place...Oct 11, 2015 - Josh McCown on the Browns OT win over the Ravens Cleveland ... He completed 36 of 51 attempts for regular-season high 457 yards with two ..The Plain DealerSituations are different, but McCown can play. RGIII needs to cut down on the int's he has
thrown in his career.
We'll see -
-
Makes no real difference since we all know McCown holds the ball too long and will be injured within 6 games or less. All moot.
Makes no real difference since we all know McCown holds the ball too long and will be injured within 6 games or less. All moot.
Can't say i don't disagree BUT..When I was at Baltimore for Josh's gem, Ravens secondary was horrible. Ter ible. Josh gets the tag for holding a ball, but our WR's crew has been far from elite in speed, quick cuts & predictable for years. When ever we played a good coverage team. Josh struggled cause who's open? Hopefully with all the new faces at WR's with Saunders & some unpredictability any of our QB's may have a better chance.
-
I think RG3 will have a good season. Mark it down man.VesnaKociper said:
WTF? Dude, the Redskins already ran the analyticals. Black Tarkenton can't play. There is no "wait and see here". We already know that we have no QB.
-
Agree, jiggins, it's an interesting thread...
Not sure I see Analytics' stake in RG's fate. I never had the feeling he was an analytics decision; more that he was Hue's personal choice.
My "cut RG3" question was predicated on determining he is not the reclamation project Hue thought he was. Agree he'd have to really be bad, which I think means fail on both the mastery of the offense as well as show little improvement technically. But were that the case, it would make sense to dump him in favor of a young prospect that could be stashed on the PS.
Not sure I see Analytics' stake in RG's fate. I never had the feeling he was an analytics decision; more that he was Hue's personal choice.
Probably so.
But analytics might have evaluated the draftable QB's AND the other available veterans as having low ceilings. AND if they didn't like Davis or Shaw...then RG3 does become kind of a default choice.
QB play wasn't our problem last year. But it is a looming issue. RG3 was/is a great gamble at a time when we didn't like what was available. Perhaps next year we go all in for a QB (if RG3 & Kessler turn out to be crap). Or Kessler is worth grooming for the future. Or RG3 turns out to be good.
RG3 didn't cost us any draft picks. Just some millions, of which we had/have plenty. Us signing him was almost a no brainer. - Again, 'IF' we thought all of the other available QB options were thought to have low ceilings! - Me, I wanted to see us walk away with Paxton Lynch with our 2nd first round pick....even though we've done that same thing in previous drafts. (definition of insanity)
McCown. As was posted in an above post (calfoxwc), McCown played QUITE well for us last year. He deserves to be the starter to which RG3 has to de-throne. But since this probably isn't a super bowl year for us...and McCown is old and sooo not the future...if he winds up playing then that means RG3 stinks pretty bad.
-
VesnaKociper said:
Only in Cleveland will someone pay for an empty gas can and hope that it will get their car to run.
You can buy full gas cans in your area?
-
Not sure I see Analytics' stake in RG's fate. I never had the feeling he was an analytics decision; more that he was Hue's personal choice.
Probably so.
But analytics might have evaluated the draftable QB's AND the other available veterans as having low ceilings. AND if they didn't like Davis or Shaw...then RG3 does become kind of a default choice.
QB play wasn't our problem last year. But it is a looming issue. RG3 was/is a great gamble at a time when we didn't like what was available. Perhaps next year we go all in for a QB (if RG3 & Kessler turn out to be crap). Or Kessler is worth grooming for the future. Or RG3 turns out to be good.
RG3 didn't cost us any draft picks. Just some millions, of which we had/have plenty. Us signing him was almost a no brainer. - Again, 'IF' we thought all of the other available QB options were thought to have low ceilings! - Me, I wanted to see us walk away with Paxton Lynch with our 2nd first round pick....even though we've done that same thing in previous drafts. (definition of insanity)
McCown. As was posted in an above post (calfoxwc), McCown played QUITE well for us last year. He deserves to be the starter to which RG3 has to de-throne. But since this probably isn't a super bowl year for us...and McCown is old and sooo not the future...if he winds up playing then that means RG3 stinks pretty bad.
- Me, I wanted to see us walk away with Paxton Lynch with our 2nd first round pick....even though we've done that same thing in previous drafts. (definition of insanity)
Here at VK Downs the words Pac a ton Lynch will make a old accordion musician lather up in baby oil & do perverted things with his dog. At this point Marriota was your friend

-
I agree that McCown tends to hold the ball too long, but what I don't know is if that's his fault, or the fault of the WR's not getting open or the play calling. We didn't exactly have a stellar offensive collection of talent and coaches last season, ya know? People, myself included, like to talk about the "Hue Jackson Effect" on RG III, and how Hue tends to get the most out of the QB's he works with. What I DON'T hear is how that same effect could help McCown. What if Hue can extract better play from the 37 year-old? This is actually the first time I thought about it, and it's an interesting anecdote.
We're coming to the end of June now, and it's the "dead period" for NFL football. In another month, it might be time to actually discuss the possibility of a certain star WR applying for reinstatement. I don't want to say his name yet, but if the guy is truly doing what the commissioner wants him to do, there is a small, tiny chance our WR group becomes very interesting.
I won't lie, I can't wait to see what the QB's do with the new WR's. The wide receiver position is one of the very few that can make immediate impacts in the NFL. We've seen it happen time after time during the past few years, and since we drafted an entire stable, perhaps we get our own star?
I don't put much stock in Kessler at this time. I'm not hating on the guy, but he's a rookie at the most difficult position in sports. I'll wait until after a few weeks of training camp to comment on his rankings.
-
I think he'll get a chance. But the staff will be rooting for Grif to beat him out because of age and athleticism.
If grif loses out it is time to think about life after football.
But I think RG will come on strong in training camp, McCown is injury insurance and Kessler will get an honest look too.
Zombo
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login