Skip to content

Will McCown be given the chance to beat out RG III?

The Browns Board
62 15 2.4k
  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #41

    1-15 or 0-16, bank it.

  • Gee whiz Tommy!

    Sure, I guess it's possible that your third-string UFA winds up being the MVP of the league.

    I just mentioned it since you were the most recent commenter on the kid Kama even though he gets a good deal of airtime around here.

    And it doesn't hurt to Hope. We can also hope that RG3 is better and less of an asshole than before and the Josh McCown finally breaks through.

    🙂

    WSS

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #42

    @westside-steve said:

    Gee whiz Tommy!

    Sure, I guess it's possible that your third-string UFA winds up being the MVP of the league.

    I just mentioned it since you were the most recent commenter on the kid Kama even though he gets a good deal of airtime around here.

    And it doesn't hurt to Hope. We can also hope that RG3 is better and less of an asshole than before and the Josh McCown finally breaks through.

    🙂

    WSS

    Let's put this back into context. I only wrote about why I feel Shaw has a future here.

    It's okay if you don't like Connor Shaw. I'm sure you won't be the only one that feels that way.

  • 1-15 or 0-16, bank it.

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    1-15 or 0-16, bank it.

    Make a bet?
  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #44

    VesnaKociper said:

    <<Sir Francis was not a "running QB". He was a scrambling QB. He ran to buy time to throw as he played behind some of the worst OLs in the league. (Expansion Vikings and rebuilding NYGs)>>

    Fran Tarkenton was a horse cock. Tarkenton could have had a cherry-picker for his offensive line and he would have abandoned the pocket and ran around like a shitting ostrich. Like RG3, Like Cam Newton, Like Queerdell Stewart............... he held on to the fucking ball too long and ran around with his nutsack hanging out to save his ass. NO DBs can cover recievers when the asshole QB is fucking every other pass play up.

    Fran Tarkenton was shit. RG3 and Cam Newton are shit.

    Ben Roethlisberger.................. the best that ever lived about using his feet, size, power and balance, to buy more time......Big Ben is the classic pass first, run to buy time QB. Sir Francis? Yeah, maybe at an underground BDSM party for queers he is "Sir". As a QB, he sucked big dick.

    Am guessing here that Roger Staubach & Troy Aikman were somehow in the classic. The Shitting White Ostrich & his 7 White Dwarfs?

  • @westside-steve said:

    Gee whiz Tommy!

    Sure, I guess it's possible that your third-string UFA winds up being the MVP of the league.

    I just mentioned it since you were the most recent commenter on the kid Kama even though he gets a good deal of airtime around here.

    And it doesn't hurt to Hope. We can also hope that RG3 is better and less of an asshole than before and the Josh McCown finally breaks through.

    🙂

    WSS

    Let's put this back into context. I only wrote about why I feel Shaw has a future here.

    It's okay if you don't like Connor Shaw. I'm sure you won't be the only one that feels that way.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @flugel said:

    Let's put this back into context. I only wrote about why I feel Shaw has a future here.

    It's okay if you don't like Connor Shaw. I'm sure you won't be the only one that feels that way.

    Oh I have absolutely nothing against the kid.

    WSS

  • @westside-steve said:

    Conversely why give RG3 the benefit of the doubt when no other quarterback gets it? The reason people, at least I, are leery of the guy is the Redskins overpaid to get him and it was a failure. The biggest reason for that had been his shitty attitude and for that reason it's a little bit harder to work up the sympathy. Just like you-know-who.

    Any misgivings are his to dispel and he does that by playing well under the system he's asked to play. The reason I don't think we'll see that much running is that it heightens the risk of injury and previous injury has probably made that less of a factor.

    WSS

    No other qb gets it? Humm..

    How about McCown.

    I'm also going to add Goff and Wentz to the list before it happens because you know they're too young, don't know the systems because they're rookies and that will be ok. Either two could crap on the field this season and it would be just hunky dory.

    Now if RG3 were already on the roster and Hue came in and signed McCown I'd be worried.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #46

    "One said:

    No other qb gets it? Humm..

    How about McCown.

    I'm also going to add Goff and Wentz to the list before it happens because you know they're too young, don't know the systems because they're rookies and that will be ok. Either two could crap on the field this season and it would be just hunky dory.

    Now if RG3 were already on the roster and Hue came in and signed McCown I'd be worried.

    How does Josh McCown get the benefit of the doubt? He gets shit on here all the time. Of course he's a hard guy to hate because he's always had a great attitude and worked hard unlike your buddy RG3.

    Or in all honesty my buddy Johnny.

    By the way I don't give a rat's ass about Goff or Wentz but if they played here yes I would probably cut them some slack the first year or two.

    They don't play here though and I hope they suck just so I don't have to listen to people crying and whining about not drafting them.

    😉

    WSS

  • "One said:

    No other qb gets it? Humm..

    How about McCown.

    I'm also going to add Goff and Wentz to the list before it happens because you know they're too young, don't know the systems because they're rookies and that will be ok. Either two could crap on the field this season and it would be just hunky dory.

    Now if RG3 were already on the roster and Hue came in and signed McCown I'd be worried.

    How does Josh McCown get the benefit of the doubt? He gets shit on here all the time. Of course he's a hard guy to hate because he's always had a great attitude and worked hard unlike your buddy RG3.

    Or in all honesty my buddy Johnny.

    By the way I don't give a rat's ass about Goff or Wentz but if they played here yes I would probably cut them some slack the first year or two.

    They don't play here though and I hope they suck just so I don't have to listen to people crying and whining about not drafting them.

    😉

    WSS

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @westside-steve said:

    How does Josh McCown get the benefit of the doubt? He gets shit on here all the time. Of course he's a hard guy to hate because he's always had a great attitude and worked hard unlike your buddy RG3.

    Or in all honesty my buddy Johnny.

    By the way I don't give a rat's ass about Goff or Wentz but if they played here yes I would probably cut them some slack the first year or two.

    They don't play here though and I hope they suck just so I don't have to listen to people crying and whining about not drafting them.

    😉

    WSS

    Time will tell Steve. Hide and watch.
  • @westside-steve said:

    Gee whiz Tommy!

    Sure, I guess it's possible that your third-string UFA winds up being the MVP of the league.

    I just mentioned it since you were the most recent commenter on the kid Kama even though he gets a good deal of airtime around here.

    And it doesn't hurt to Hope. We can also hope that RG3 is better and less of an asshole than before and the Josh McCown finally breaks through.

    🙂

    WSS

    Let's put this back into context. I only wrote about why I feel Shaw has a future here.

    It's okay if you don't like Connor Shaw. I'm sure you won't be the only one that feels that way.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @flugel said:

    Let's put this back into context. I only wrote about why I feel Shaw has a future here.

    It's okay if you don't like Connor Shaw. I'm sure you won't be the only one that feels that way.

    2014--Season finale against Ravens finished game despite dislocated finger & bruised kidney..2015--Has reconstruction surgery on broken Thumb on throwing hand in preseason game with Skins. 2016--Could be the return of Drago Jr. returns.. Got to root for this guy. Later Austin 'Powers' Davis Return

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #49

    VesnaKociper said:

    ... NO DBs can cover recievers when the asshole QB is fucking every other pass play up.

    Awesome rebuttal as usual... highlighted by the above gem.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #50

    Ken Dorsey's only 35!

    WSS

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #51

    VesnaKociper said:

    Flugs.............. Connor Shaw is the guy who should be getting all the snaps. He have no idea what his potential is............ it is already a given that RG3 and McCown will never in their lives be winners. Your comments on Shaw IMHO are not aggressive enough. If I am the king, Shaw is out front and the job woudl be his to lose. Why fuck around with the two dildos rated ahead of him? They have no fucking upside.

    Idiotic FO.

    Apparently someone saw a similar style offense used for RG3 that was once used for Joe Theisman in Washington. Out of pocket passing for a 6' Heisman Trophy Winner that rarely ever spent time in a cup protection pass scheme. Theisman began in Canada while RG3 was a Rookie of the Year.

    Sometimes really good QBs like Steve Young get sentenced to the wrong offense, coaching staff and surrounding talent in Tampa. Doug Williams also had that issue before Joe Gibbs said this QB doesn't need to be rewired - he just needs a compatible system. Same thing happened to Steve Young. And all the teams more worried about Joe Montana's arm strength coming out of ND got to see what all that turned into in the perfect system.

    I think with RG3 it's more a case the offense changed from what he was most compatible with to what he is least compatible with more than RG3 just waking up a crummy football player 1 day. I've been wrong before though...

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #52

    Some posters have made valid points about previous QB's that failed to succeed under other coaches and systems, but then found success. How about Rich Gannon? That guy didn't enjoy a ton of success until he went to the Raiders, and then he was all world and even won the MVP (and SHOULD have gone to the Superbowl). Like somebody said, take a look at Steve Young, and a host of other players that needed a fresh start to really shine.

    Will that happen to RG III? I'd say the odds are against it, but it's worth mentioning previous players who found success in the middle parts or later stages of their careers.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #53

    I'm still still to wrap my head around, "Connor Shaw should be our starter."

  • Browns1216B Browns1216 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    Connor Shaw reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy; both are very hard workers who are willing to put the team on their backs, but neither will wow you with their arm strength. I was impressed with Connor Shaw in college and I liked what I saw of him in the Ravens game. I think he's a way better option than Austin Davis but I think our FO is sold on RG3 for now, it's RG3's job to lose.

    I like McCown, but I have a feeling he will be used as trade bait once the season starts. I don't see this FO hanging on to an aging veteran, even though I think McCown is the better leader and accomplished a lot last year considering what he had to work with.

  • Some posters have made valid points about previous QB's that failed to succeed under other coaches and systems, but then found success. How about Rich Gannon? That guy didn't enjoy a ton of success until he went to the Raiders, and then he was all world and even won the MVP (and SHOULD have gone to the Superbowl). Like somebody said, take a look at Steve Young, and a host of other players that needed a fresh start to really shine.

    Will that happen to RG III? I'd say the odds are against it, but it's worth mentioning previous players who found success in the middle parts or later stages of their careers.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @jiggins7919 said:

    How about Rich Gannon?

    To all those that may have a Rich Gannon poster on their walls 😉. McCown maybe the closest thing to the guy but never played with any real talent. Also Josh is missing the mental part of Gannon's game. Play with passion & gutsy mentality. But be smart with it too.. EDIT--While we our speaking QB's, Rumors have it Wentz may go Red shirt year 1.Might this be the best Kessler plan? I see it in Philly as a plan to keep Philly fans week 1 with us from booing whiny ass Bradford off the field. But how does Redshirt Kessler work for us? Just throwing it out their 😕

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #56

    You can't red shirt a player in the pros, that's college where you can weasel out an extra year of eligibility. I think once you sign you're on the clock whether you play or not.

    WSS

  • You can't red shirt a player in the pros, that's college where you can weasel out an extra year of eligibility. I think once you sign you're on the clock whether you play or not.

    WSS

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @westside-steve said:

    You can't red shirt a player in the pros, that's college where you can weasel out an extra year of eligibility. I think once you sign you're on the clock whether you play or not.

    WSS

    Correct WSS. Philly using red shirt in wrong terms. In real words, Going to bury Wentz on 53 man roster but make him inactive each week. But can still practice full season & Camp with preseason games. Avoids Wavier Wire to PS. We shall see how Hue values his guy Kessler. Only QB of 5 with PS eligibility.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #58

    I'm very interested to see how Kessler performs in training camp, and of course, in the preseason. Something tells me he's a very hard worker, and his accuracy isn't something that can be taught. What we don't know is how he'll handle pressure, pick up the offense, and respond after he takes some real NFL hits. Can he read the defenses and know where to go with the ball? Can he quickly learn the intricacies of the offensive language? And we know that he doesn't have an elite arm, but is it strong enough to get the job done?

    It's safe to say I'm pretty eager to see just what our offense looks like. Obviously, coaches don't show TOO much in preseason, but we'll get a taste. For the most part, NFL preseason games are a complete waste of time, but there are moments that are worth evaluating. We'll get to see if RG III's footwork looks better, if he looks comfortable with the offense, if he has "happy feet", and how his throws look. Same goes for McCown. I expect him to look better, but HOW much better will he look? (of course, I could be wrong too). As the preseason progresses, I could see RG III move the ball down the field a little bit, but I definitely foresee him struggling in the red zone. The red zone is what separates decent QB's from good ones. I fully expect to see McCown score more TD's in the preseason than anybody.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #59

    We will certainly get a sense of our run game... on both sides of the ball.

    And I took the "red shirt" comment how it was meant to be taken... "not playing".

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #60

    VesnaKociper said:

    Flugs.............. Connor Shaw is the guy who should be getting all the snaps.

    Idiotic FO.

    I know Casey Casem isn't around any more so I'll give Connor's Shaws a shout out from ya Ghoolie. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtubevideoof+missyoubythelaw&view=detail&mid=2BB0F69F7653DA1645AB2BB0F69F7653DA1645AB&FORM=VIRE