Skip to content

Training Camp(s) 2016

The Browns Board
39 15 2.1k
  • Stuff I didn't have the time to post the other day.

    - Energy from the coaching staff, especially on defense. These old boys get after it. It couldn't have been 10 minutes before I thought to myself 'I would love to play for coach'.

    - I cannot stress up tempo enough. If you were at camp last year or 2014, this is rapid fire in comparison.

    - Surprisingly not as much miscommunication as I expected. For some of the complications in shifts, I would expect a couple bad alignments. Only saw it 2 maybe 3 times, then only one false start on Cam. Which you could hear the entire line and RG3 give him some shit for it. I suspect the play call strings have been simplified and like I said earlier, aside from a couple wrinkles, only 4-5 different alignments were actually shown. Personnel groups were the main difference.

    - Hue is a big believer in seam throws, and it shows. Barney, Bibbs and Pryor especially got work right down the middle. Our safeties we're clearly stressed about that.

    - Hawk got more work outside than he did in the slot. He and Hollywood can work the sideline like the other receivers can't.

    - Lots of quick stuff including fast developing screens to CC. Some of them weren't even screens. Just sight adjustments against obvious coverages.

    - Robert has a pension for holding onto the ball too long. While the crowd was wow'ed by some of his scrambles, I felt like I was the only one to notice they would have been obvious sacks.

    - Bailey at RT bothers me. Perhaps he's more accustomed to the left side from Seattle? Very hit and miss in pass pro. Surrendered a couple quick pressures to Nassib. He came in with the first team, then split some reps with Shon halfway through the session. I see Shon is still working on bending at the knees. He's looking better.

    - Scooby got into a little scrap with JT. Which JT promptly put him in a headlock and Scoob went nowhere until he calmed down. Funny to watch. Again, he has that classic MIKE backer look. Compact, powerful and downhill.

    - All of the RB's faired well in pass pro. Coach was in their ear about it the whole time during drills.

    - Mingo has a nice inside swim/rip move that I hadn't seen before. Still no spin and plays higher than he should, but he showed it off once in drills.

    - Orchard had a touch sack against Crow in Pass pro drills.. same for Kruger.

    - Some of the young receivers had obvious tells on pass checks. Including tighting gloves, looking at where the route is supposed to go, switching up their stance on the next play. I would have to believe there is a lot of mental material there to go through with our receiver coaches. If Ocho is in camp, he needs to harp on that right away.

  • Thank you for the updates! How is Joe Schobert looking? Was hoping to hear his name often with some positive feed back.

  • Thank you for the updates! How is Joe Schobert looking? Was hoping to hear his name often with some positive feed back.

    @cambridgeho said:

    Thank you for the updates! How is Joe Schobert looking? Was hoping to hear his name often with some positive feed back.

    Didn't get to see him much, I'm afraid. Hoping to make it to a second camp.

  • Good stuff Tia.

    One not so surprising comment: Gilbert apparently still not "getting it". Since this guy was the choice of another regime, I doubt that this coaching staff has any loyalty to him or investment in him.....and may readily part ways with him.

    Which first round was worse:

    2012 with Richardson and Weeden

    2014 with JFF and Gilbert

    ?

    @the-gipper said:

    Good stuff Tia.

    One not so surprising comment: Gilbert apparently still not "getting it". Since this guy was the choice of another regime, I doubt that this coaching staff has any loyalty to him or investment in him.....and may readily part ways with him.

    Which first round was worse:

    2012 with Richardson and Weeden

    2014 with JFF and Gilbert

    ?

    Man that sucks to even think about. Total coin flip. 2012 until Gilbert gets cut, then probably 2014
  • Another thought about the offense....

    Hue said the ENTIRE offense will be installed by Day 6 of TC. That's extremely fast as the past thinking in Cleveland seemed to always be "we're not going to throw it at 'em too fast" & often withhold some of the plays. What I love about this fast pace is that not only will the players have most of TC to learn, ask questions, & work hard on their individual trouble spots, but the Coaches will be able to better evaluate players' ability to absorb & apply what has been thrown at them. The 53 man roster should be far better prepared to enter the regular season.

    Just my opinion.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Another thought about the offense....

    Hue said the ENTIRE offense will be installed by Day 6 of TC. That's extremely fast as the past thinking in Cleveland seemed to always be "we're not going to throw it at 'em too fast" & often withhold some of the plays. What I love about this fast pace is that not only will the players have most of TC to learn, ask questions, & work hard on their individual trouble spots, but the Coaches will be able to better evaluate players' ability to absorb & apply what has been thrown at them. The 53 man roster should be far better prepared to enter the regular season.

    Just my opinion.

    Mike

    That's an interesting point Mike!

    Is Canton ready for the Inductions Weekend ahead?

  • Nice stuff, tia...

  • Has anybody appeared better than you expected as a result of the work with Kim, the martial arts guy?

    • WR's at avoiding getting jammed at LOS
    • DL at avoiding/deflecting OL hands via redirection or a counter-move?

    Who was the other starting DT along with Shelton in the 4DL looks?

    Do Kindred and Caldwell look like they'll make the 52?

  • Has anybody appeared better than you expected as a result of the work with Kim, the martial arts guy?

    • WR's at avoiding getting jammed at LOS
    • DL at avoiding/deflecting OL hands via redirection or a counter-move?

    Who was the other starting DT along with Shelton in the 4DL looks?

    Do Kindred and Caldwell look like they'll make the 52?

    @unsympathetic said:

    Has anybody appeared better than you expected as a result of the work with Kim, the martial arts guy?

    • WR's at avoiding getting jammed at LOS
    • DL at avoiding/deflecting OL hands via redirection or a counter-move?

    Who was the other starting DT along with Shelton in the 4DL looks?

    Do Kindred and Caldwell look like they'll make the 52?

    I wasn't aware of their training with anyone in the arts? I will say the receivers did solid work getting off the LOS. Violent hands as such. However a couple of our open formations keep them off so DB's weren't always able to get a decent jam and it was clear to me we intend on using those formations as our passing strengths and those sides for initial reads.

    What stood out to me on the Dline was pad level. You could see the veteran and second year players (Looking at you Danny) staying low consistently. The rookies still haven't made it second nature.

    I wouldn't say there was a 'starting' DT next to Danny. It was dependent on the situation When we were in nickel but playing the run, you got Hughes. More balanced situations or for pass rush you saw Meder and Coop.

    There were even some odd ENT looking front similar to Pettine's... except I didn't see any 2 gap assignments. At least, none that I noticed? That was Danny, Hughes and Coop/Meder.

    Kindred is a stretch, can't see Caldwell.

  • Just saw the move at the line CC put on Gilbert. That's why you don't lose your base reaching in to get a punch on defense. CC hit him with a good swim/slap and walked by.

    I like Justin's aggressiveness, but that attempt was just silly. Gilbert should have waited for Coleman's initial step, kept his feet under him then made his punch.

  • Joe Kim is a 4th degree taekwando black belt, part of the US Olympic/PanAm games team in the early 80's. His focus is on pass rush of DL but works with the entire squad. He has been an asst coach in NFL since Belichick was with Cleveland. Last season he worked with Washington.

    Story 1

    Story 2

    Link 3 from DC

    Browns page includes his NFL career