Skip to content

Surprise veterans to be cut

The Browns Board
12 7 790
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #1

    There's always a rookie or two that comes from nowhere and wins a job - Taylor Gabriel beat out nate burleson, crowell beat out ogbonnaya, EJ bibbs came out of nowhere to ake the roster (but never the game day squad).

    Who makes a surprise appearance on the 53, and who gets cut? For my money people in danger are:

    Gilbert

    Mingo

    Davis/McCown

    Any TE not named Barnidge

    Pryor

    Anyone competing for RT (except Coleman)

    Kruger

    D Bryant

    A Bryant

    Desir

    Gaines

    Super special bonus possibly in danger - Tramon Williams. He's old, and on big money. If Gilbert or Desir can really step up and become a legit #2 CB, Williams could be in real danger.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Williams - In a just world he wouldn't have been signed in the first place. He's another in the long list of free agents who suck who got gynormous contracts to come here.

    Kruger - See above.

    D.Bryant - Probably the only free agent signing who earns his money.

    I'm not sure about any of the rest of that list except Davis heading to the chopping block..

    Pryor will start/Hollywood will be #3.

    Desir/Gaines will be backups as they were last yr

    ABryant may start now..

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Armonty is suspended for 4 games and is on trial.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Hell, in a sense, we already "cut" some veterans when we let them walk: Mack, Schwartz, Gipson, Dansby, Whitner etc. But certainly more could go.

    Somebody on that DL WILL go. Too many bodies for too few slots.

    A WR (I note you did not put Gordon on your list...and I still don't know why Marlon Moore is still here)

    OL: Pasztor or Michael Bowe?

    LB: Tank Carder

    thought I am not sure any of the above would be a "surprise".

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I didn't put gordon on the list because he'd need to be reinstated first, but sure, he could be cut. Only, why keep him?

    Moore is here for ST, or so goes the theory.

  • I didn't put gordon on the list because he'd need to be reinstated first, but sure, he could be cut. Only, why keep him?

    Moore is here for ST, or so goes the theory.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @gftchris said:

    I didn't put gordon on the list because he'd need to be reinstated first, but sure, he could be cut. Only, why keep him?

    Moore is here for ST, or so goes the theory.

    You can use Coleman and his 4.3 speed for that..

  • @gftchris said:

    I didn't put gordon on the list because he'd need to be reinstated first, but sure, he could be cut. Only, why keep him?

    Moore is here for ST, or so goes the theory.

    You can use Coleman and his 4.3 speed for that..

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @nickers said:

    You can use Coleman and his 4.3 speed for that..

    As a gunner? I'll pass. As a return man, sure, but that's not Moore's role on ST.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Really hard for me to think of most of those names as "veterans". Players like Mingo may have been around 3 or more years, but have logged in so little playing time that the label just doesn't seem to fit.

    This list seems more vet-ish to my mind...

    Offense

    QB: Davis(5)/ McCown(13) - one is certainly gone, I think it's McC via trade in the pre-season.

    RB: none

    WR: Hawk(6)/ Moore (7) - youth movement could undo Hawk, if all the picks flash; agree that Moore's ST value helps him stick.

    TE: Already cut Dray.

    OL: Greco(9) - only vet with any exposure... but we can't be this stupid.... can we?

    Defense

    DL: Hughes(5)/ Des(9) - John always has seemed to be a bit of a 3-4 tweener... look for Lawrence-Stample to push him down the NT depth chart and punch his trade ticket out of town; Des might be tempting, but cutting an injured vet won't engender loyalty in a young team so I think he stays on IR

    LB: Kruger(8)/ Tank(5) - Ogbah may ultimately send Krugs packing, but not this year; too many promising rookies for Tank to survive another camp. And we already cut Dansby.

    DB: Williams(10)/ R. Moore(6) - We currently have 19 DBs under contract... 19! These are the vets aside from Joe... who I think is safe. Williams was to be the #2, he may well get outplayed for that role, but I think he's safe. And since Moore just arrived... Plus Whitner was already cut.

    I did not get into cap impacts above since we already have $41m in space in 2016, but the only serious savings ($2m or more) come from players that excepting McC seem relatively safe to me.

    On the other hand there is zero benefit in cutting Mingo and Gilbert. Gilbert even has a negative impact on "cap savings".

    Both Des and Krugs are under contract thru 2017 and would then produce $7mm each in savings. If we draft a stud QB, then clearing space to restructure other keepers up front might provide added incentive to part ways then... But 2017 would be very early to do so for a Round 1 QB we'd have on the cheap for 4 years minimum.

    http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

  • @nickers said:

    You can use Coleman and his 4.3 speed for that..

    As a gunner? I'll pass. As a return man, sure, but that's not Moore's role on ST.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #9

    @gftchris said:

    As a gunner? I'll pass. As a return man, sure, but that's not Moore's role on ST.

    return man.. no.. not gunner!.. use desir or another safety as a gunner.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Tramon could be cut, but I don't think so. Virtually all of our other staters at the position are severely injury-prone or complete knuckleheads.

    Mingo could easily be asked to leave, but it would be the last cut of the season (unless he gets hurt or it's obvious he doesn't get it). Horton will want to give Mingo every chance to prove himself because pass rushers are just THAT important.

    Pryor isn't going anywhere. In fact, I expect him to shine even more when the pads come on.

    Gabriel could be toast...easily.

    Hawkins is staying unless injuries knock him out.

    Josh McCown could be gone, but a lot would have to happen. I'm still surprised the Broncos didn't make a play for him.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Cant say anyone on the original list would be a surprise cut, cause only 2 were even starters......so "most" of em need to step up or hit the road, but none would surprise me if cut....

    Dansby was my surprise cut.....

    Kruger "should" be cut....the only surprise to me is that they keep starting him.....

    I guess, Desmond would surprise me, as he's played pretty well and is now injured.....BUT....he is our highest paid defender, so if $$$ are an issue, he'd be a good one to chop(along with Kruger, of course, who's vastly overpaid)

  • Cant say anyone on the original list would be a surprise cut, cause only 2 were even starters......so "most" of em need to step up or hit the road, but none would surprise me if cut....

    Dansby was my surprise cut.....

    Kruger "should" be cut....the only surprise to me is that they keep starting him.....

    I guess, Desmond would surprise me, as he's played pretty well and is now injured.....BUT....he is our highest paid defender, so if $$$ are an issue, he'd be a good one to chop(along with Kruger, of course, who's vastly overpaid)

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @mudfly said:

    Cant say anyone on the original list would be a surprise cut, cause only 2 were even starters......so "most" of em need to step up or hit the road, but none would surprise me if cut....

    Dansby was my surprise cut.....

    Kruger "should" be cut....the only surprise to me is that they keep starting him.....

    I guess, Desmond would surprise me, as he's played pretty well and is now injured.....BUT....he is our highest paid defender, so if $$$ are an issue, he'd be a good one to chop(along with Kruger, of course, who's vastly overpaid)

    Again, correct me if I am wrong but a player on the DL cannot be cut. And I understand that DesBee will be on the DL for the year. So he should not be cut and will be paid

    Question: Do players on the year long DL count against the salary cap?