Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Mangini 101

Mangini 101

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
28 Posts 16 Posters 2.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Kingphisher K
    • 120 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    K Kingphisher wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I will admit that I was not in favor of signing him so quickly and felt that they should have waited to take a run at Shanahan or Gruden. But...I am giving the guy a chance because he did do well (in my opinion) with a not-so-good Jets team. Only time will tell if he is a football wiz in his insight with recent and proposed moves, or if he is scuttling a team that had potential (KW already gone, and BE and BQ rumors aflying). How does everyone else feel about the job he has done so far? My gut feeling is that he is making mistakes, but I am not a talent scout and Quinn slid to the 22nd for a reason.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • DeadWombat D
      • 345 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      D DeadWombat wrote on last edited by
      #2

      From what I've read from disgruntled Jets fans, Mangini has some issues I am not quite happy with. Here's a quote I read from one of them.

      I think Mangini WAS the problem. He seemed in over his head, at times making terrible game-management decisions. This team clearly played below expectations and I think much of that has to be put on Mangini’s shoulders. His refusal to rely more on the running game, for example. He made a number of questionable calls that cost the Jets games and seemed to be unable to make adjustments after halftime. While Mangini spent several years under the tutelage of excellent NFL coaches, I think he proved to be not up to the task yet of running a team by himself. It’s no knock on the guy — just that he wasn’t ready.

      The general consensus seems: Poor clock management, being stiff as a board come halftime game changes, poor play calling... Seems oddly similar to the RAC years.

      But then again I don't know how much of that was Mangini's fault. A lot of jets fans were sad to see him go.

      I hold no opinion until I know the final roster and see the team play first.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Super Fly ?
        • Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        ? Super Fly wrote on last edited by
        #3

        mangina is my homeboy

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • TheClevelandSound TheClevelandSoundT
          • 2k Posts
          • 29 Reputation
          TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I like him. Everything is always so negative in Cleveland. My mission is to change that. I think Cleveland will once again be proven wrong.

          Predicted Records:2010: 8-82011: 8-82012: 9-72013: 5-112014: 6-10
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • OconRecon OconReconO Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 1k Posts
            • 2 Reputation
            OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I'm still willing to give him chance at job #2. Nothing else we can do anyway.

            I thought Bellicheck was a lump when in Cleveland. He obviously learned.

            K 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • YtownBrownsBacker Y
              • 2k Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
              #6

              He hasn't done anything to like or dislike. Maybe after the draft you could have something to say and if he doesn't win you can get the tar ready but, until then, I say kick ass and get rid of the overpaid bums.

              I could give a shit about whose feathers he ruffles, it's about wins and loses.

              So, until then, I have nothing bad to say about him and you can toss all the "he said, she said" garbage from Jet fans.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • ClevelandFanForLife ClevelandFanForLifeC One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 2k Posts
                • 100 Reputation
                ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by
                #7

                i have never liked the mangini hire. he was a guy that only one team interviewed and a guy that had one good season. when he gets fired in 3 years it will be good because he will be gone. however it will be bad because we will have had 3 more losing seasons. mangina sucks and he will unfortunately prove it in cleveland.

                once a fan, always a fan. married to a steeler fan. aaaaaaaaah! --andy
                Y 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • NewEraDawg NewEraDawgN
                  • 645 Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  NewEraDawgN NewEraDawg wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  I have not been surprised by the changes he's made so far . Most of the basis for any real evaluation will not be in place till the W's or L's start piling up . I feel that all coaches deserve the room to operate , and I also enjoy the local press twist in the wind trying to scoop him . It shows me he has taken over in Berea and you will learn things at his pace . Bad for Tony and Mary Kay our opposition , and us . Good for him and the team

                  NewEraDawg
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • OconReconO OconRecon

                    I'm still willing to give him chance at job #2. Nothing else we can do anyway.

                    I thought Bellicheck was a lump when in Cleveland. He obviously learned.

                    Kingphisher K
                    • 120 Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    K Kingphisher wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @oconrecon said:

                    I'm still willing to give him chance at job #2. Nothing else we can do anyway.

                    I thought Bellicheck was a lump when in Cleveland. He obviously learned.

                    Agreed. I don't care as long as they build a young foundation that can win ALOT of games in the future. Hey Y-TOWN, are Wedgewood Pizza and Fred's New Life Restaraunt still in Younstown? I haven't lived there for a while, but I used to love Fred's Gyros and Wedgewood pizza!

                    Y 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • letmedowns L
                      • 65 Posts
                      • 0 Reputation
                      L letmedowns wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I hate to say this but this is the problem with Cleveland fans. He has done nothing but get rid of some cancer and brought in some depth and on day one everyone hated the guy. He has a 0-0 record with us. IN CASE YOU GUYS HAVE'NT NOTICED, we sucked last year.

                      If we suck this year everyone will say fire Mangina we need to start over. Whoever we sign it will not matter, they don't stand a chance. We need to stick with someone and go with it. How many times do we want to rebuild???????????????

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife

                        i have never liked the mangini hire. he was a guy that only one team interviewed and a guy that had one good season. when he gets fired in 3 years it will be good because he will be gone. however it will be bad because we will have had 3 more losing seasons. mangina sucks and he will unfortunately prove it in cleveland.

                        YtownBrownsBacker Y
                        • 2k Posts
                        • 0 Reputation
                        Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @clevelandfanforlife said:

                        i have never liked the mangini hire. he was a guy that only one team interviewed and a guy that had one good season. when he gets fired in 3 years it will be good because he will be gone. however it will be bad because we will have had 3 more losing seasons. mangina sucks and he will unfortunately prove it in cleveland.

                        That's one persons opinion and you are entitled to it. I hope you are very wrong as do most Brown's fans. Fact is it is your opinion and is not based on anything realistic or his performance as a Brown's coach.

                        So, to your glass is half empty opinion......................there is no basis for it except pessimism

                        ClevelandFanForLifeC 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Y YtownBrownsBacker

                          @clevelandfanforlife said:

                          i have never liked the mangini hire. he was a guy that only one team interviewed and a guy that had one good season. when he gets fired in 3 years it will be good because he will be gone. however it will be bad because we will have had 3 more losing seasons. mangina sucks and he will unfortunately prove it in cleveland.

                          That's one persons opinion and you are entitled to it. I hope you are very wrong as do most Brown's fans. Fact is it is your opinion and is not based on anything realistic or his performance as a Brown's coach.

                          So, to your glass is half empty opinion......................there is no basis for it except pessimism

                          ClevelandFanForLife ClevelandFanForLifeC One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 2k Posts
                          • 100 Reputation
                          ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                          That's one persons opinion and you are entitled to it. I hope you are very wrong as do most Brown's fans. Fact is it is your opinion and is not based on anything realistic or his performance as a Brown's coach.

                          So, to your glass is half empty opinion......................there is no basis for it except pessimism

                          i'm hoping i'm dead wrong too. of course i want mangina to be great, i just don't have much faith in him. i hope to god he proves me wrong

                          once a fan, always a fan. married to a steeler fan. aaaaaaaaah! --andy
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • ndneighbor N
                            • 250 Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            N ndneighbor wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            Mangini is going to be interesting to watch. That's for sure. He's uncommonly tight lipped and plays his cards close to the vest. I just hope the fans remember he was on Belichick's staff in the last year of

                            "Browns Book 1" in 95. He got to see first hand what the whole staff and the fans went through after Art M. announced the team's imminent departure half way through the season. It's a good bet he probably knows the

                            Brown's fans are still in pain and still angry. He also spent time on Marchibroda's staff in Baltimore and Parcells staff with the Jets, before ending up on Bill B's staff again in N.E. Hopefully he learned from all their

                            mistakes. I kinda get the feeling this isn't just another NFL gig for him.

                            For an in depth read :

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mangini

                            sisky fringoS 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • K Kingphisher

                              @oconrecon said:

                              I'm still willing to give him chance at job #2. Nothing else we can do anyway.

                              I thought Bellicheck was a lump when in Cleveland. He obviously learned.

                              Agreed. I don't care as long as they build a young foundation that can win ALOT of games in the future. Hey Y-TOWN, are Wedgewood Pizza and Fred's New Life Restaraunt still in Younstown? I haven't lived there for a while, but I used to love Fred's Gyros and Wedgewood pizza!

                              YtownBrownsBacker Y
                              • 2k Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @kingphisher said:

                              Agreed. I don't care as long as they build a young foundation that can win ALOT of games in the future. Hey Y-TOWN, are Wedgewood Pizza and Fred's New Life Restaraunt still in Younstown? I haven't lived there for a while, but I used to love Fred's Gyros and Wedgewood pizza!

                              I think the old man, Fernando is still there making pizza and has a couple of branches. I always liked them along with Cornersburg and I'm a Brier Hill Pizza lover. Don't know about Fred's, where was it? I was a westside guy and went to Chaney, played football and graduated with Jerry Angelo the GM of the Bears. His father was the coach so, I was around when Wedgewood first opened. It's about 3 times the size now.

                              K 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • Y YtownBrownsBacker

                                @kingphisher said:

                                Agreed. I don't care as long as they build a young foundation that can win ALOT of games in the future. Hey Y-TOWN, are Wedgewood Pizza and Fred's New Life Restaraunt still in Younstown? I haven't lived there for a while, but I used to love Fred's Gyros and Wedgewood pizza!

                                I think the old man, Fernando is still there making pizza and has a couple of branches. I always liked them along with Cornersburg and I'm a Brier Hill Pizza lover. Don't know about Fred's, where was it? I was a westside guy and went to Chaney, played football and graduated with Jerry Angelo the GM of the Bears. His father was the coach so, I was around when Wedgewood first opened. It's about 3 times the size now.

                                Kingphisher K
                                • 120 Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                K Kingphisher wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                                I think the old man, Fernando is still there making pizza and has a couple of branches. I always liked them along with Cornersburg and I'm a Brier Hill Pizza lover. Don't know about Fred's, where was it? I was a westside guy and went to Chaney, played football and graduated with Jerry Angelo the GM of the Bears. His father was the coach so, I was around when Wedgewood first opened. It's about 3 times the size now.

                                Fred's was a dive down near YSU but had the best gyros in Y-town. Only place that came close was that hot-dog shop (name escapes me right now) on 224 in Boardman owned by that greek guy. I never really dug Cornersburg pizza, but Beleria pizza in Cornersberg was the bomb! Tel-star was another great place in Cornersberg on their 10 cent wing night. I lived near Cornersburg on the Boardman side but was in the Canfield school district.

                                Y 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • K Kingphisher

                                  @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                                  I think the old man, Fernando is still there making pizza and has a couple of branches. I always liked them along with Cornersburg and I'm a Brier Hill Pizza lover. Don't know about Fred's, where was it? I was a westside guy and went to Chaney, played football and graduated with Jerry Angelo the GM of the Bears. His father was the coach so, I was around when Wedgewood first opened. It's about 3 times the size now.

                                  Fred's was a dive down near YSU but had the best gyros in Y-town. Only place that came close was that hot-dog shop (name escapes me right now) on 224 in Boardman owned by that greek guy. I never really dug Cornersburg pizza, but Beleria pizza in Cornersberg was the bomb! Tel-star was another great place in Cornersberg on their 10 cent wing night. I lived near Cornersburg on the Boardman side but was in the Canfield school district.

                                  YtownBrownsBacker Y
                                  • 2k Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @kingphisher said:

                                  Fred's was a dive down near YSU but had the best gyros in Y-town. Only place that came close was that hot-dog shop (name escapes me right now) on 224 in Boardman owned by that greek guy. I never really dug Cornersburg pizza, but Beleria pizza in Cornersberg was the bomb! Tel-star was another great place in Cornersberg on their 10 cent wing night. I lived near Cornersburg on the Boardman side but was in the Canfield school district.

                                  I did YSU, but it was back in the 70s. They moved the Beleria Pizza around the corner. I actually was there last week, still great sauce. The Tel Star is gone. Handel's has franchised and has ice cream shops all over town. I'm out in Salem now but my mother still lives in Youngstown, actually Austintown. I take her a Wedgewood Pizza sometimes. Remember Noday's Deli on Mahoning Ave. They got some great wings.

                                  K 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • Y YtownBrownsBacker

                                    @kingphisher said:

                                    Fred's was a dive down near YSU but had the best gyros in Y-town. Only place that came close was that hot-dog shop (name escapes me right now) on 224 in Boardman owned by that greek guy. I never really dug Cornersburg pizza, but Beleria pizza in Cornersberg was the bomb! Tel-star was another great place in Cornersberg on their 10 cent wing night. I lived near Cornersburg on the Boardman side but was in the Canfield school district.

                                    I did YSU, but it was back in the 70s. They moved the Beleria Pizza around the corner. I actually was there last week, still great sauce. The Tel Star is gone. Handel's has franchised and has ice cream shops all over town. I'm out in Salem now but my mother still lives in Youngstown, actually Austintown. I take her a Wedgewood Pizza sometimes. Remember Noday's Deli on Mahoning Ave. They got some great wings.

                                    Kingphisher K
                                    • 120 Posts
                                    • 0 Reputation
                                    K Kingphisher wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                                    I did YSU, but it was back in the 70s. They moved the Beleria Pizza around the corner. I actually was there last week, still great sauce. The Tel Star is gone. Handel's has franchised and has ice cream shops all over town. I'm out in Salem now but my mother still lives in Youngstown, actually Austintown. I take her a Wedgewood Pizza sometimes. Remember Noday's Deli on Mahoning Ave. They got some great wings.

                                    I Forgot all about Handel's! I never went to Nodays's Deli. Is The Sandwich Factory still out there in Austintown? We used to stop there before going to see movies at the cinema in Austintown plaza. It's been about 15 years since I have been back so I need to make a trip back some day to see what has changed.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • YtownBrownsBacker Y
                                      • 2k Posts
                                      • 0 Reputation
                                      Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      The Austinown Plaza, Mahoning Ave and Rt.46 area has changed so much in the last few years. There is actually a Quaker Steak and Lube in the Austintown Plaza now. I will be moving to FL next year and will really miss the area. We've been going down for winters few about 5 or 6 years and it's now time to make it permanent.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • N ndneighbor

                                        Mangini is going to be interesting to watch. That's for sure. He's uncommonly tight lipped and plays his cards close to the vest. I just hope the fans remember he was on Belichick's staff in the last year of

                                        "Browns Book 1" in 95. He got to see first hand what the whole staff and the fans went through after Art M. announced the team's imminent departure half way through the season. It's a good bet he probably knows the

                                        Brown's fans are still in pain and still angry. He also spent time on Marchibroda's staff in Baltimore and Parcells staff with the Jets, before ending up on Bill B's staff again in N.E. Hopefully he learned from all their

                                        mistakes. I kinda get the feeling this isn't just another NFL gig for him.

                                        For an in depth read :

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mangini

                                        sisky fringo sisky fringoS
                                        • 2k Posts
                                        • 96 Reputation
                                        sisky fringoS sisky fringo wrote on last edited by sisky fringo
                                        #19

                                        @ndneighbor said:

                                        Mangini is going to be interesting to watch. That's for sure. He's uncommonly tight lipped and plays his cards close to the vest. I just hope the fans remember he was on Belichick's staff in the last year of

                                        "Browns Book 1" in 95. He got to see first hand what the whole staff and the fans went through after Art M. announced the team's imminent departure half way through the season. It's a good bet he probably knows the

                                        Brown's fans are still in pain and still angry. He also spent time on Marchibroda's staff in Baltimore and Parcells staff with the Jets, before ending up on Bill B's staff again in N.E. Hopefully he learned from all their

                                        mistakes. I kinda get the feeling this isn't just another NFL gig for him.

                                        For an in depth read :

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Mangini

                                        good point about his witnessing first-hand in '95. it means a lot to us for our coach to be familiar w/ that situation and he mentioned our history in press conference 1. he's definitely taken control up there and made himself fully accountable. he walked in the building with a fresh approach that hasn't been taken here.....possibly ever. what do you want from a ballboy, right?

                                        do you still think interviews aren't luxuries afforded to us Legacy Fan? take notice.

                                        screw the politics, i love a guy who operates from a results-based performance style.

                                        to whoever posted about him only having one interview what does that really mean? mangini didn't want to interview there? Ernie Accorsi was adamant in his referral of him? you're counting ghosts if you see merit in partial information like that.

                                        i love it when people break the mold and eccentrics make me smile. mangini seems pretty sharp and well read, and best of all the staff is giving the opposition nothing to work with.

                                        i'm all in.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 9k Posts
                                          • 2k Reputation
                                          ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          I agree.

                                          No doubt the guy is tight lipped, and the reason why there is a negative aura around him is because the media creates that. They don't like a coach who pretty much ignores them, and since our return the local media has had the keys to the complex.

                                          They don't like it since the lock was changed and they didn't get a new key.

                                          All that matters is if we take a step by step climb up the ladder and the players buy in and get the desired results.

                                          I like a no nonsense coach. I couldn't care less if he is no fun to be around or he is never going to be president of the local "Toastmasters" chapter.

                                          Just win, or at least look like a real NFL team.

                                          I am tired of getting laughed at when I tell people I root for the Browns.

                                          If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                                          E 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate