Skip to content

Thoughts on Raji?

The Browns Board
16 10 1.1k
  • It reminds me of John Facenda saying, "One ton of muscle with a one track mind." Except you'd have to replace muscle with fat and then it loses it's appeal.

    I don't know. I don't look at a positive marijuana test as a MAJOR problem, unless it's a chronic issue (pun intended). What other baggage does he bring? What other options do we have at the #5 spot considering the other holes we have to fill?

    I haven't given much thought to drafting Raji, except as a passing fancy in a scenario that you mentioned. It's a nice thought. I don't know how viable it really is, but I'm still somewhat torn between Orakpo and Crabtree, and I'm starting to lean towards Crabtree as the draft draws near, but Orakpo is still my guy for now.

    -Al

  • Raji and Mack could solidify both lines for years and can be had in one draft while still addressing other needs.

    Absolutely this is a possibility, it's a key to winning the division and both Bmore and Pitt have it covered.

    Of course, I thought the same thing when Butchiee took Fat Money.

  • I don't think Crabtree is that great. He's better than the rest of the receiving class by a bit, but he's not even comparable to Calvin Johnson, imo. 3-4 OLB's are a huge risk, and quality NT's are rarer than LB's. Rather than draft Orakpo, would it be better to get whichever guy slides to 36? It just seems that Raji would be the safest pick.

  • If you're looking for another Calvin Johnson, you may be waiting for awhile. Dez Bryant and Arrelious Benn may end up going in the top ten next year, but neither one of them is in Megatron's league as a prospect.

    According to one report, Raji failed multiple drug tests while at BC. That alone makes him an odd choice for being the safest pick. He's a very good player, especially in a 4-3 defense, but I'm not sure he's the type of character Mangini & Kokinis want to give top five money.

  • He may be the best player in this draft, but I'm with Alo - I'm not sure I'd give him that money. He's a drug suspension waiting to happen.

    Then again, so was Warren Sapp, and he turned out pretty good. The question becomes whether or not you think he's done screwing up, and I don't think you can take that risk with #5 money.

    As for tight end, last time I checked you need three tight ends, and we have one ex-rookie who didn't play at all last season, and Robert Royal. That's not exactly going to light the world on fire.

    This is a very TE-heavy draft. I'd be sure to get one, and I suspect we will.

  • I call Bust on Rajii, He is gonna get tossed by the smarter linemen and nfl gameplanning.

    BTW Aloysius, I think Dez Bryant will be the next big thing, never have I seen a receiver make catches that crazy since moss, his size, speed, and YAC ability are crazy. He is jacked too.

  • That would be alot of money invested in the defensive line

  • Asking a young ego like Raji to play in a selfless 3-4 with a dictator environment is almost like asking Vladamir Guererro to put on a squeeze bunt with no outs and a runner on third.

  • Asking a young ego like Raji to play in a selfless 3-4 with a dictator environment is almost like asking Vladamir Guererro to put on a squeeze bunt with no outs and a runner on third.

    @dtbh said:

    Asking a young ego like Raji to play in a selfless 3-4 with a dictator environment is almost like asking Vladamir Guererro to put on a squeeze bunt with no outs and a runner on third.

    Yeah, it would really suck to play next to Rogers.

    Dude's a NT and almost half the teams are running the 3/4 now.

  • He may be the best player in this draft, but I'm with Alo - I'm not sure I'd give him that money. He's a drug suspension waiting to happen.

    Then again, so was Warren Sapp, and he turned out pretty good. The question becomes whether or not you think he's done screwing up, and I don't think you can take that risk with #5 money.

    As for tight end, last time I checked you need three tight ends, and we have one ex-rookie who didn't play at all last season, and Robert Royal. That's not exactly going to light the world on fire.

    This is a very TE-heavy draft. I'd be sure to get one, and I suspect we will.

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    He may be the best player in this draft, but I'm with Alo - I'm not sure I'd give him that money. He's a drug suspension waiting to happen.

    Then again, so was Warren Sapp, and he turned out pretty good. The question becomes whether or not you think he's done screwing up, and I don't think you can take that risk with #5 money.

    As for tight end, last time I checked you need three tight ends, and we have one ex-rookie who didn't play at all last season, and Robert Royal. That's not exactly going to light the world on fire.

    This is a very TE-heavy draft. I'd be sure to get one, and I suspect we will.

    Thank you. I don't want to change this to a TE thread but this is exactly what I've been saying. Apparently, everybody thinks a 33 year old Heiden will be just fine after blowing the MCL and ACL, not to mention Rucker is almost more of a slot receiver and not a Dabol type of TE.

    I really prefer not to use a draft pick though, I like Alo's idea of snagging some UDFA's.

  • I think you can put Raji in either front. I think he probably works better when he can penetrate, which no one at the Senior Bowl could stop him from doing.

    And go look at his YouTube highlights. No one on Notre Dame, VaTech, or Vandy could either. The guy's a beast. I'd love him on our team. I just don't think you can risk it at that salary level.

    If somehow because of trades we end up in the teens, and somehow because of his history he's still there, the calculus would be a bit different.

  • According the the sporting news...he didn't fail a drug test...so I believe he'll go the KC.

  • I'm starting to like a lot of guys in this draft which is completely different from where I was at a week ago.

    Orakpo, Raji and Curry are all guys who can make an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball, with Curry being the safest pick.

  • "Report: Raji Didn’t Test Positive

    Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.com reports that per a league source, B.J. Raji’s name did not appear on the list of players who tested positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine.

    Florio also reports that per a league source, fewer than 10 players tested positive for marijuana and other prohibited substances at the Scouting Combine."

    I may be reading too far into this, but this sounds a bit lawyered to me. "He didn't test positive for marijuana." Well, that's different from saying his drug test came back clear.