Maybin or Orakpo
-
Maybin's an unfinished product who's probably nothing more than a situational rusher right now. And even once he develops, he's probably not a good fit for McGinest's old spot. He's pretty much Wimbley with a better burst, so his fit in our defense would be at WOLB.
Assuming that the new regime still believes in Wimbley, I think guys like Maybin and Connor Barwin will be downgraded on the Browns' board because they fit best at Wimbley's spot. Sintim could play the strongside, but he's too stiff to do much in space. Paul Kruger has all the tools to play the position, except the explosion you'd like to see in an edge rusher.
The best two fits, I think, are Orakpo and Larry English. If we trade down from #5, Everette Brown could be another possibility, as could Robert Ayers.
Aloysius said:
Assuming that the new regime still believes in Wimbley, I think guys like Maybin and Connor Barwin will be downgraded on the Browns' board because they fit best at Wimbley's spot.I love how athletic Barwin is but I agree. He's not a good fit for the Browns.
I have a feeling Barwin is going to drop on draft day. A lot of people think the Pats will draft him early in round #2 but I just don't think they will. Unless they are going to draft him that high to be a TE.
I think the Pats go OLB with that first pick. Maybe Ayers or Johnson. They have to find a replacement for Thomas who was hurt last year and is old as dirt.
-
Orakpo but my bias is well documented.
The thing I like about Brian is that he really looks like an NFL pass rusher when he makes "the turn" and drops his hips. He closes on the quarterback quickly and time and again he seems to have good form on those little scatbacks that make lots of guys look silly. In that way, he reminds me of DeMarcus Ware.
At times though I get nervous about not hearing his name enough or that he sometimes is upright and gets blocked by a TE. Then, he might as well be Andre Ware.
I can see why he's "top 5" and then I can see why he might be #12.
I have nothing against Maybin but he seems a bit upright and at 246....he's a little light for OLB in the 3-4. #5 is far too high for this player. I personally don't tend to like guys that didn't crack the starting lineup until senior year. Orakpo played significantly all four years and started the last three.
-
Orakpo but my bias is well documented.
The thing I like about Brian is that he really looks like an NFL pass rusher when he makes "the turn" and drops his hips. He closes on the quarterback quickly and time and again he seems to have good form on those little scatbacks that make lots of guys look silly. In that way, he reminds me of DeMarcus Ware.
At times though I get nervous about not hearing his name enough or that he sometimes is upright and gets blocked by a TE. Then, he might as well be Andre Ware.
I can see why he's "top 5" and then I can see why he might be #12.
I have nothing against Maybin but he seems a bit upright and at 246....he's a little light for OLB in the 3-4. #5 is far too high for this player. I personally don't tend to like guys that didn't crack the starting lineup until senior year. Orakpo played significantly all four years and started the last three.
At times though I get nervous about not hearing his name enough or that he sometimes is upright and gets blocked by a TE. Then, he might as well be Andre Ware.
It's funny you mention that because as I watched the Fiesta Bowl again the other day I saw three seperate plays in which OSU's TE Rory Nicol had no problem blocking him....And Nicol was horrible at blocking. One time Nicol even had him on the ground. But Brian may have slipped on that play.
-
At times though I get nervous about not hearing his name enough or that he sometimes is upright and gets blocked by a TE. Then, he might as well be Andre Ware.
It's funny you mention that because as I watched the Fiesta Bowl again the other day I saw three seperate plays in which OSU's TE Rory Nicol had no problem blocking him....And Nicol was horrible at blocking. One time Nicol even had him on the ground. But Brian may have slipped on that play.
It's funny you mention that because as I watched the Fiesta Bowl again the other day I saw three seperate plays in which OSU's TE Rory Nicol had no problem blocking him....And Nicol was horrible at blocking. One time Nicol even had him on the ground. But Brian may have slipped on that play.
Crow,
I'm a big believer in the old Bill Parcells saying "you are what your record says you are". Sometimes, there are good excuses but they're still excuses. Looking at Brian the last two games and bowl game of last year....he really seemed to be playing injured to me (he had a bad hammy) and started each game strong and seemed to pull up as the games went on.
-
It's funny you mention that because as I watched the Fiesta Bowl again the other day I saw three seperate plays in which OSU's TE Rory Nicol had no problem blocking him....And Nicol was horrible at blocking. One time Nicol even had him on the ground. But Brian may have slipped on that play.
Crow,
I'm a big believer in the old Bill Parcells saying "you are what your record says you are". Sometimes, there are good excuses but they're still excuses. Looking at Brian the last two games and bowl game of last year....he really seemed to be playing injured to me (he had a bad hammy) and started each game strong and seemed to pull up as the games went on.
Crow,
I'm a big believer in the old Bill Parcells saying "you are what your record says you are". Sometimes, there are good excuses but they're still excuses. Looking at Brian the last two games and bowl game of last year....he really seemed to be playing injured to me (he had a bad hammy) and started each game strong and seemed to pull up as the games went on.
Could be. I heard he was dinged.
-
I don't think Orakpo was as explosive after the injury. Not exactly a surprise: he rushed back because he's a competitor and the defense couldn't get pressure without him.
The worst part of the injury was that it denied us the chance to see Orakpo battle Jason Smith in the Baylor game. Whoever won that battle would have exited the stadium with an elite draft grade; my gut tells me that it wouldn't have been Smith.
-
In reading the 2009 Pro Footaball Weeklyh draft preview, it lists three "draft audibles"
about Curry, Maybin and Orakpo:
"I was surprised at how tight Aaron Curry looked opening up his hips at his pro day. He has some tightness"
("Texas' Brian Orakpo) looked tight as a drum (in his pro day workout)
AND
"I wish we had a shot at (Penn State DE) Aaron Maybin. He's the most athletic of the pass rushers in this draft. He is so athletic
he can be anything you want him to be."
and, ""Maybin posesses rare first step quickness, length and bend off the edge. His upfield burst is elite, and his natural athletic
ability will enable him to rush from the outside in a 3-4, or play with his hand in the dirt in a 4-3. He is young and raw, but his upside
is immense"
Maybin is also 6'4 1/2 ". I like a taller lb. 250 lbs, he's the #1 DE they listed.
I can see Orakpo having a hammy any particular preseason,...
I think I'd pick Maybin after all.
-
I have not seen 1 mock that has us taking Maybin but a million taking Orakpo.
Give me Maybin over Orakpo any day.
I have not seen 1 mock that has us taking Maybin but a million taking Orakpo.
Give me Maybin over Orakpo any day.
If they interview previous coaches - it won't be Maybin. The last Penn State game I caught the commentators were saying Maybin inferiorated the PSU coaching staff for his continuance to frequently anticipate the snap count wrong in practices. Meaning? He's not doing what they ask of him, which hints of uncoachable. Example: He jumped offsides vrs USC causing an apparent USC fumble early on until the yellow flag belonged to him for being offsides. That first quarter play seemed like it was the last time he'd be visible all day.
I know Maybin went Vernon Gholston on the Big 10 competition but he became the same invisible man outside of it. Gholston was Casper the Friendly Ghost against LSU and Maybin went just as Casper vrs USC. Tells me the guys blocking both kids faced equal or better players than Gholston & Maybin everyday in practice so the challnge wasn't beyond business as usual.
All the pass rushers are hit or miss. If we get the WRONG kid in round 1, we now have Wimbley squared on the roster and anchoring the cap. That said, if we get the right kid - a Jamir Miller equivalent on the edge makes a Pro Bowl by pressuring QBs to throw the ball before they want to. End result? An average group of DBs like Earl Little, Devon Bush, Percy Ellsworth, Corey Fuller, Daylon McCutcheon and Anthony Henry can combine efforts to LEAD the AFC in INTs in 2001. We went from 5-27 football to a competitive 7-9 where we were 2 OT losses (Chicago & Pitt) away from 9-7. It MATTERED.
- Tom F.
-
maybin? id everybody forgetting what happened the last time we took a penn state de in the first round?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login