Skip to content

Best Songs by One Hit Wonders

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
41 9 1.3k
  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Betty Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes

  • I love this one.. its just uber cool!

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Well in ain't In the Year 2525 by Zager and Evans... or Eve of Destruction...

    So many "novelty" hits, (Alley Oop, Monster Mash, etc.) that they deserve their own category.

    @nickers said:

    I love this one.. its just uber cool!

    Sugarloaf had something there... great "sound"...

    First to come to my mind: Blues Image's Ride Captain Ride...

    But one that I listen to a lot is Dee-Lite's Groove is in the Heart... Far from a techno-pop guy, but I bought their CD World Clique out of a cut out bin and it's a flat out fun CD. I've started "road trips" with it for years since it wards off speeding tickets. Stupidstition? Absolutely, but first time I did it I was pulled over and only given a verbal warning... a first for me.

    The Knack's My Sharonna was catchy... Cossell doomed the group calling them "the next Beatles" on his (thankfully) short-lived variety show, "Saturday Night Live". He beat SNL to the name... that's why Chevy's intro was always "Live from New York... It's Saturday Night!"

    Old one I loved was The Cyrcle's Red Rubber Ball... kinda Up with People-ish, but WTF...

    Buffalo Springfield only had one, For What It's Worth... may have impacted me the most of the OHW's...

    The longest one has to be MacArthur Park "sung" by Richard Harris...

    So many... so little time...

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    I don't think that For What It's worth was Buffalo Springfield's only hit song. Need to check.

    Well, That is the only song of their's that hit the Top Ten. A couple of others hit Top 50. Their albums also were not Top Sellers at the time.

    But their influence as we know was beyond the pale. They are in the RRHOF....and you don't get there without being well respected.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Hello, Mr. Soul was a minor hit for them IIRC...

    Retrospective was their "Greatest Hits"... only thing I ever owned by them.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Richard Harris had a minor hit with Didn't We and a big one with My Boy.

    WSS

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #22

    There's a "big hit" I never heard of? 😉

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Well it was in the top 50, he has four songs in the top 100.

    WSS

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #24

    In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"

    You're the Pro... what say ye?

  • In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"

    You're the Pro... what say ye?

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tour2ma said:

    In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"

    You're the Pro... what say ye?

    Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?

    WSS

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Perhaps ultimate One Hit Wonder:

  • @tour2ma said:

    In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"

    You're the Pro... what say ye?

    Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @westside-steve said:

    Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?

    WSS

    Hit locally. There is a factor. A song can be a big hit in some quarters.....but not much elsewhere.

    Anyway, here it is. A great song imo.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    One Hit Wonder? At least locally.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    s-l300.jpg

  • @tour2ma said:

    In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"

    You're the Pro... what say ye?

    Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?

    WSS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #30

    @westside-steve said:

    I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10?

    Works for me...

    A couple more candidates... any one mention Whip It yet? Not a personal fav, but Ohio boys... Akron area IIRC.

    ... or Thomas Dolby? Actually the entire LP, The Golden Age of Wireless, was pretty solid... and the SQ was great... although not quite in Alan Parson's league. APP's I Robot on vinyl has to be heard to be believed.

  • Love sugarloaf - they had another song named "Dont call us" too that was pretty good -

    heres my 70s radio hit- I think it was a one hit wonder too?

    xylophone guy just shreds.... well in xylophone fashion

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @fairhooker11 said:

    Love sugarloaf - they had another song named "Dont call us" too that was pretty good -

    heres my 70s radio hit- I think it was a one hit wonder too?

    xylophone guy just shreds.... well in xylophone fashion

    That wasn't a xylophone in that song, it was a marimba played by Bobby "Bo" Wagner who was one of the original Mousekateers.
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Probably the biggest hit by a band whose members are Maori

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Thing about OHWs is some live on, but many are so forgettable...

    Prime example of the latter include ones like Hippy Hippy Shake by The Swinging Blue Jeans. Part of "the British Invasion" IIRC... Hell I bought (and still have) the 45. Pure Beatles coattails crap... what was I thinking?

    Example of the former is The Easy Beats' Friday on my Mind... still stands up today.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #34

    I love this song.

    When I was in easy street we got extremely drunk with these guys after the gig at the Cleveland Agora.

    WSS

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #35

    And there are those where the OHW was the only decent thing on the LP...

    Again, some at least are still listenable...

    While others... not so much...

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #36

    As I recall a friend of mine bought the marmalade greatest hits or best of album whichever it was called and it did not have that song on it.

    🙁

    WSS