Best Songs by One Hit Wonders
-
-
Richard Harris had a minor hit with Didn't We and a big one with My Boy.
WSS
-
-
Well it was in the top 50, he has four songs in the top 100.
WSS
-
-
In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"
You're the Pro... what say ye?
Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?
WSS
-
Perhaps ultimate One Hit Wonder:
-
In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"
You're the Pro... what say ye?
Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?
WSS
Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?
WSS
Hit locally. There is a factor. A song can be a big hit in some quarters.....but not much elsewhere.
Anyway, here it is. A great song imo.
-
One Hit Wonder? At least locally.
-

-
In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"
You're the Pro... what say ye?
Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?
WSS
I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10?
Works for me...
A couple more candidates... any one mention Whip It yet? Not a personal fav, but Ohio boys... Akron area IIRC.
... or Thomas Dolby? Actually the entire LP, The Golden Age of Wireless, was pretty solid... and the SQ was great... although not quite in Alan Parson's league. APP's I Robot on vinyl has to be heard to be believed.
-
Love sugarloaf - they had another song named "Dont call us" too that was pretty good -
heres my 70s radio hit- I think it was a one hit wonder too?
xylophone guy just shreds.... well in xylophone fashion
That wasn't a xylophone in that song, it was a marimba played by Bobby "Bo" Wagner who was one of the original Mousekateers.Love sugarloaf - they had another song named "Dont call us" too that was pretty good -
heres my 70s radio hit- I think it was a one hit wonder too?
xylophone guy just shreds.... well in xylophone fashion
-
Probably the biggest hit by a band whose members are Maori
-
Thing about OHWs is some live on, but many are so forgettable...
Prime example of the latter include ones like Hippy Hippy Shake by The Swinging Blue Jeans. Part of "the British Invasion" IIRC... Hell I bought (and still have) the 45. Pure Beatles coattails crap... what was I thinking?
Example of the former is The Easy Beats' Friday on my Mind... still stands up today.
-
I love this song.
When I was in easy street we got extremely drunk with these guys after the gig at the Cleveland Agora.
WSS
-
-
As I recall a friend of mine bought the marmalade greatest hits or best of album whichever it was called and it did not have that song on it.

WSS
-
I love this song.
When I was in easy street we got extremely drunk with these guys after the gig at the Cleveland Agora.
WSS
When I was in easy street we got extremely drunk with these guys after the gig at the Cleveland Agora.
Ah.... The Agora... weren't there two locations to boot at one time?
Also loved "The Smiling Dog Salon" on W 25th IIRC... which brings to mind another breed of OHW... one who never recorded one, but wrote one. I think Buzzy qualifies when Bette Midler recorded "Friends". Although he wrote another minor hit that Carly Simon improved a tad...
Buzzy remains one of my favorite "live" performers of all time... despite being born in Pittsburgh. He was saved by enrolling in the Cleveland Music Settlement. Played with pure joy... very good guitarist... even better on the xylophone. The latter got him into session work with Hendrix among others.
-
As I recall a friend of mine bought the marmalade greatest hits or best of album whichever it was called and it did not have that song on it.

WSS
As I recall a friend of mine bought the marmalade greatest hits or best of album whichever it was called and it did not have that song on it.
I can remember thinking "a new Bee Gees" song when I first heard that...
-
Sometimes a One Hit Wonder can crop up from the most unexpected source:
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
