Skip to content

Thoughts on the defensive front from tonights game and holy shit Nassib looks legit..

The Browns Board
94 25 2.9k
  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #30

    ^ LOL! (you have to admit war, that was funny)

  • Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @wargograw said:

    Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.

    Got ya beat by about two months there, chap.
  • 2012 - #3 - traded for a first, somehow, without a team

    2012 - #22 - cut

    2013 - #6 - will be cut

    2014 - #8 - could be cut

    2014 - #22 - cut

    2015 - #12 done nothing of note

    2015 - #19 'done nothing of note' would be an improvement

    7 first round picks from three regimes and none have looked even close to pro-bowl level. That's some bad luck.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @gftchris said:

    2012 - #3 - traded for a first, somehow, without a team

    2012 - #22 - cut

    2013 - #6 - will be cut

    2014 - #8 - could be cut

    2014 - #22 - cut

    2015 - #12 done nothing of note

    2015 - #19 'done nothing of note' would be an improvement

    7 first round picks from three regimes and none have looked even close to pro-bowl level. That's some bad luck.

    Nope, not bad luck- bad drafting. As Ghoolie would say passing on terrific talent (Julio Jones) to take a shot on mid level talent. Quantity over quality hasn't worked- yet. Just more of the same old, same old. Let's hope Coleman reverses the trend. The Browns better knock their draft out of the park next year- because if Carson Wentz turns into a stud- the FO will be kicking themselves in the ass- again.

  • @wargograw said:

    Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.

    Also a Manziel fan. Call it a wash.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @tiamat63 said:

    Also a Manziel fan. Call it a wash.

    Well I'm an A&M fan. Not much choice.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Manziel, Gilbert, Mingo, Shelton, and Erving absolutely destroyed us. It's obviously too early to write off Shelton or Erving, but the early indications are far from good. Shelton was drafted at the number 12 slot for crying out loud. That's an impact pick, and we have not gotten the impact from him. Again, it's early, but watching him get his ass whipped by Mack hurt for so many reasons. Yes, I know Mack is elite, but I wanted to see Shelton win A FEW battles!

    Mud has said repeatedly that we don't have defensive talent. It's difficult to argue with him. We hear over and over how preseason defenses are "vanilla" and don't display too much of what they want to run. I can't even use that as an excuse because NT doesn't exactly have a ton of variation. Hue Jackson left Shelton in a little longer against the Falcons than some other starters. It's easy to see why. He wants to know what the guy can do.

    Early indications of our defense's ability to tackle are not good. We will probably get chewed up on the ground (again) and this will keep our offense to fewer possessions. An early 3 and out by the offense could quite literally put us in an awful hole. It's difficult to sit here and say I feel optimistic about the defense, and I'm an optimistic guy. We've had 2 friggin preseason games, and I don't want to get TOO upset, but I certainly want to see better tackling, more penetration, and more early punts against the Bucs. A good performance in this pivotal 3rd exhibition game would go a long way for this unit. We get sliced and diced by Winston this Friday (and he looks incredible btw),AND we get torched in the ground...it's going to be a long 2 weeks before we play at Philadelphia and obviously lose because we don't win 1st games.

  • @wargograw said:

    Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.

    Got ya beat by about two months there, chap.
    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Got ya beat by about two months there, chap.

    Bandwagon getting a little crowded?

  • Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @wargograw said:

    Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.

    Did you start a fan club?

    Because I was retaining his rights as the only Penn Stater on here who followed his breakout year last season.

    Sign me up for the newsletter.

    Z

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #37

    I've liked Carl (see, first name basis) since the day he was born........ I win.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #38

    The kid led college football in sacks for a huge school......and you all think you discovered him?

    Hahahahaha......lamo

  • I've liked Carl (see, first name basis) since the day he was born........ I win.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @d-bone said:

    I've liked Carl (see, first name basis) since the day he was born........ I win.

    I'm his dad.

    Z

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #40

    I dreamed about him.....BEFORE he was born.....

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #41

    I saw it in the chicken bones and ash before there was man.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #42

    DAMN IT! I thought I won.

  • I dreamed about him.....BEFORE he was born.....

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @mudfly said:

    I dreamed about him.....BEFORE he was born.....

    I was a fan of his dad's before his dad even married his mom.

    I win.

  • @d-bone said:

    Cut the 32nd player picked? Uh, no.

    Former #8 and #6 players overall could be cut though.

    TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @the-gipper said:

    Former #8 and #6 players overall could be cut though.

    they played out their string though. A good GM with a clue would've already cut bait with those two. I'm guessin that is what we see in the final cuts.

  • @miktoxic said:

    I wonder what the draft pick #would be if calculated by some numbers guy....... Like 12 picks in a year / how many years, what would be the common denominator or whatever it'd be called that #28th pick is the browns?

    I mean is there really value in trading down and drafting 2nd and 3rd stringers to be sideline cannon fodder vs. keeping the pick and drafting in the top 5 which we could have done for the past gazzillion years?

    Yes.

    For a team like the Browns have been, the value is there........if you don't cut the cannon fodder after two years and get a new guy to install new cannon fodder.

    Two years ago, the Browns were a team of third stringers with one or two mid level talent players and two or three backup level players.

    Now, this is a team of backups with one or two star potential players and two or three mid-level talent players.

    Add a couple high draft picks next year and one or two FA acquisitions and now it's a team of mid level starters with maybe one elite level player, and two or three stars.

    For the love of God...just don't hit the reset button again.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Two years ago, the Browns were a team of third stringers with one or two mid level talent players and two or three backup level players.

    Now, this is a team of backups with one or two star potential players and two or three mid-level talent players.

    revisionist history.... as the same could be said 4, 6 and 10 years ago etc.

    don't act like there is anything new going on except the faces making the decisions.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Two years ago, the Browns were a team of third stringers with one or two mid level talent players and two or three backup level players.

    Now, this is a team of backups with one or two star potential players and two or three mid-level talent players.

    revisionist history.... as the same could be said 4, 6 and 10 years ago etc.

    don't act like there is anything new going on except the faces making the decisions.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @miktoxic said:

    revisionist history.... as the same could be said 4, 6 and 10 years ago etc.

    don't act like there is anything new going on except the faces making the decisions.

    We had a 26 year old dual threat, #2 overall, Heisman trophy winning, former NFL OROY as our QB? We had a young, 6'3" former Pro Bowl recover who led the NFL in yards? We had another young, 6'5" receiver with 4.3 speed?

    We had a widely respected NFL coordinator with a non-losing NFL HC record as our HC?

    Forgive me, I don't really remember us having that all together in one year.

    If you think this group doesn't inspire more confidence than the likes of Brandon Weeden or Mohamed Massaquoi, then I don't know what to tell you.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #47

    The way Nassib runs after the QB, he reminds me of Bobby Bouchet.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Former #8 and #6 players overall could be cut though.

    they played out their string though. A good GM with a clue would've already cut bait with those two. I'm guessin that is what we see in the final cuts.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @topdawg31 said:

    they played out their string though. A good GM with a clue would've already cut bait with those two. I'm guessin that is what we see in the final cuts.

    Problem with cutting first round picks before their rookie contracts are up means a relatively big cap hit. Mingo's hit is $5 million, Gilbert's hit is $3 million. For those that want Kruger gone it's $7.7 million. I'd say if he doesn't pick it up Gilbert is gone.

  • @miktoxic said:

    revisionist history.... as the same could be said 4, 6 and 10 years ago etc.

    don't act like there is anything new going on except the faces making the decisions.

    We had a 26 year old dual threat, #2 overall, Heisman trophy winning, former NFL OROY as our QB? We had a young, 6'3" former Pro Bowl recover who led the NFL in yards? We had another young, 6'5" receiver with 4.3 speed?

    We had a widely respected NFL coordinator with a non-losing NFL HC record as our HC?

    Forgive me, I don't really remember us having that all together in one year.

    If you think this group doesn't inspire more confidence than the likes of Brandon Weeden or Mohamed Massaquoi, then I don't know what to tell you.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We had a 26 year old dual threat, #2 overall, Heisman trophy winning, former NFL OROY as our QB? We had a young, 6'3" former Pro Bowl recover who led the NFL in yards? We had another young, 6'5" receiver with 4.3 speed?

    We had a widely respected NFL coordinator with a non-losing NFL HC record as our HC?

    Forgive me, I don't really remember us having that all together in one year.

    If you think this group doesn't inspire more confidence than the likes of Brandon Weeden or Mohamed Massaquoi, then I don't know what to tell you.

    Uh.....didn't we actually make it to the playoffs in the 90s? Have a RB make the cover of madden? Draft every sure thing since the beginning of time and ur telling me now, NOW things r looking up because we have someone that WAS good, someone that might be good and a new coaching staff and FO that can do the skiddelly scat better than the last?

    HA they must see u walking up the street from a mile away, sucker.