Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Sausage party review

Sausage party review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
5 Posts 3 Posters 696 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Sausage party

    Columbia

    R. 89 min

    So in the fifties and sixties we had the Rat Pack, very very cool, Frank Sammy Dino and the rest. Along Came the eighties and we had the brat pack consisting of Judd Nelson Molly Ringwald Emilio Estevez and a few others. I have no idea what to call these fellows but it seems they hang out a good deal. Seth Rogen James Franco Jonah Hill, you know those guys. I don't know that they have been issued a nickname, but I assume someone somewhere has thought of one. I do think that they are the third incarnation of what seems to be the de evolution of the pack franchise.

    In fairness these fellows aren't without talent, I thought Franco did a hell of a job in the flick where he chewed off his arm and I found Seth Rogen to be engaging and humorous on more than one occasion. (Not exactly sure why Jonah Hill isn't working at a convenience store but that's another story)

    All that aside I was on the fence about even bothering with SAUSAGE PARTY mostly because from the previews it was obviously yet another inanimate objects come to life flicks, kind of like TOY STORY only set in the supermarket with groceries as the stars, and a lot of cuss words.

    Does that sound exciting to you? Me neither.

    On top of all that it's the first animated film since FRITZ THE CAT I've seen with a rating above PG-13. Now I know enough about the rating system to realize that if a cartoon garners itself an R, you can expect that every third word in the script is going to begin with an F. Remember also that these days most R rated comedies fill their time slot with gross-out jokes centered around human waste, bodily fluids, vomit and genitalia caught in a swimming pool siphons or a vacuum cleaner nozzles or a zipper; you know the drill.

    So imagine my surprise when I found SAUSAGE PARTY to not only be hilarious thoughtful and clever but quite possibly the best movie of the year so far. I kid you not.

    Amazingly enough this flick works on many different levels; it's a socio religious commentary, it's an overview of the world political situation, it's an examination of human sexuality, it's a philosophical study and it is every bit vulgar as you heard and as funny as hell.

    You may want to see this one before you read any reviews and find out what it's about; your choice. Here's the idea. All of the food items in the grocery store look forward to the day they are selected by the Gods, actually the shoppers, who will take them to Paradise where they will live in peace and happiness for the rest of their lives.

    The young lovers Frank,(Rogen) a hot dog and his lady bun (Kristen Wiig) can't wait to be together in the paradise that must certainly wait outside the supermarkets doors, shed there packaging and get busy!.

    There are Arabs and Jews represented by a bagel and what looks like pita bread, there are Mexicans hiding from immigration in the taco aisle, and the ancient people very similar to the American Indians, the non perishables who possess the knowledge of the ancient ones. The in-store antagonist is, guess who, the douche! And do you wonder who provides the voice for the Meatloaf?

    Even though Frank and his friends finally realize the true reality of life when they visit the section of the store that contains the cooking utensils and cookbooks it's still almost impossible to convince the others.

    It may be hard to imagine a thought-provoking flick containing what seems to be hundreds of f-bombs but trust me. If you don't laugh out loud at this one, well, what can I say?

    A

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    Tour2maT 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • W Westside Steve

      Sausage party

      Columbia

      R. 89 min

      So in the fifties and sixties we had the Rat Pack, very very cool, Frank Sammy Dino and the rest. Along Came the eighties and we had the brat pack consisting of Judd Nelson Molly Ringwald Emilio Estevez and a few others. I have no idea what to call these fellows but it seems they hang out a good deal. Seth Rogen James Franco Jonah Hill, you know those guys. I don't know that they have been issued a nickname, but I assume someone somewhere has thought of one. I do think that they are the third incarnation of what seems to be the de evolution of the pack franchise.

      In fairness these fellows aren't without talent, I thought Franco did a hell of a job in the flick where he chewed off his arm and I found Seth Rogen to be engaging and humorous on more than one occasion. (Not exactly sure why Jonah Hill isn't working at a convenience store but that's another story)

      All that aside I was on the fence about even bothering with SAUSAGE PARTY mostly because from the previews it was obviously yet another inanimate objects come to life flicks, kind of like TOY STORY only set in the supermarket with groceries as the stars, and a lot of cuss words.

      Does that sound exciting to you? Me neither.

      On top of all that it's the first animated film since FRITZ THE CAT I've seen with a rating above PG-13. Now I know enough about the rating system to realize that if a cartoon garners itself an R, you can expect that every third word in the script is going to begin with an F. Remember also that these days most R rated comedies fill their time slot with gross-out jokes centered around human waste, bodily fluids, vomit and genitalia caught in a swimming pool siphons or a vacuum cleaner nozzles or a zipper; you know the drill.

      So imagine my surprise when I found SAUSAGE PARTY to not only be hilarious thoughtful and clever but quite possibly the best movie of the year so far. I kid you not.

      Amazingly enough this flick works on many different levels; it's a socio religious commentary, it's an overview of the world political situation, it's an examination of human sexuality, it's a philosophical study and it is every bit vulgar as you heard and as funny as hell.

      You may want to see this one before you read any reviews and find out what it's about; your choice. Here's the idea. All of the food items in the grocery store look forward to the day they are selected by the Gods, actually the shoppers, who will take them to Paradise where they will live in peace and happiness for the rest of their lives.

      The young lovers Frank,(Rogen) a hot dog and his lady bun (Kristen Wiig) can't wait to be together in the paradise that must certainly wait outside the supermarkets doors, shed there packaging and get busy!.

      There are Arabs and Jews represented by a bagel and what looks like pita bread, there are Mexicans hiding from immigration in the taco aisle, and the ancient people very similar to the American Indians, the non perishables who possess the knowledge of the ancient ones. The in-store antagonist is, guess who, the douche! And do you wonder who provides the voice for the Meatloaf?

      Even though Frank and his friends finally realize the true reality of life when they visit the section of the store that contains the cooking utensils and cookbooks it's still almost impossible to convince the others.

      It may be hard to imagine a thought-provoking flick containing what seems to be hundreds of f-bombs but trust me. If you don't laugh out loud at this one, well, what can I say?

      A

      WSS

      Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 30k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @westside-steve said:

      I don't know that they have been issued a nickname, but I assume someone somewhere has thought of one. I do think that they are the third incarnation of what seems to be the de evolution of the pack franchise.

      Well I was going to suggest "crass pack" until you went and liked the darn thing... I did not see that coming.

      Another great write-up... there has to be a way for you to make some $$$ off this on-going labor of love.

      "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
      W 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Tour2maT Tour2ma

        @westside-steve said:

        I don't know that they have been issued a nickname, but I assume someone somewhere has thought of one. I do think that they are the third incarnation of what seems to be the de evolution of the pack franchise.

        Well I was going to suggest "crass pack" until you went and liked the darn thing... I did not see that coming.

        Another great write-up... there has to be a way for you to make some $$$ off this on-going labor of love.

        Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
        • 39k Posts
        • 9k Reputation
        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
        #3

        @tour2ma said:

        Well I was going to suggest "crass pack" until you went and liked the darn thing... I did not see that coming.

        Another great write-up... there has to be a way for you to make some $$$ off this on-going labor of love.

        LOL

        I truly appreciate that sir

        Actually I'm the film editor for the North Coast voice which is also pretty much a labor of love even though they comp me a small ad. It might be fun to spread out and syndicate, but mostly I just hacked this shit out. 🙂

        WSS

        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
          • 30k Posts
          • 6k Reputation
          Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
          #4

          WSS's Movie Blog?

          Need a name... with more S's...

          Surround Sound... Sellulose (I know... cellulose... work with me here)... See...

          As WSS Sees Them...

          or

          As I See Them by WSS...

          May be gettin' warm here...

          "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Zombo Z
            • 8k Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Seth Rogen and James Franco have been best buds since they acted together on Jud Apatows TV show, freaks and geeks. Those three are money ... Franco is extremely talented imo.

            But I agree ... Don't think much of Jonah Hill, he's physically funny looking, but needs good writing to make me laugh.

            Z

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

            Register Login
            Reply
            • Reply as topic
            Log in to reply
            • Oldest to Newest
            • Newest to Oldest
            • Most Votes


            Theme
            • System
            • Light
            • Dark
            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

            • First post
              Last post
            0
            • Forums
            • Recent
            • Popular
            • Users
            • Donate