David Veikune
-
And he'll play ILB just as Teddy did. They didn't bring this guy in to play a rush OLB. Mangini will see him as a run stuffer.
Too bad, They could've had him at the top of the 4th.
Bowens and Wimbley will play the outside.
Funny you mentioned Bowens. It sounds like Mangini & Kokinis see him as a similar type of player: a smart, high effort guy who's versatile enough to play either inside or out.
Aloysius said:
Funny you mentioned Bowens. It sounds like Mangini & Kokinis see him as a similar type of player: a smart, high effort guy who's versatile enough to play either inside or out.It was good to hear Mangini mention him playing inside. If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.
But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks. If they brought him in the play the middle I like this pick much more than I thought I would. He also gives you the bulk inside that you miss with having Jackson in the middle.
I could very easily see a starting four of Bowens, Jackson, Veikune and Wimbley.
-
Fair enough.
-
@shepwrite said:
My guess is that Kokinis/Mangini don't draft Veikune in round 2 unless they really loved him and see him contributing at OLB. Just ask yourself if you really believe you know more about personnel than George Kokinis. Then wake up.If you buy that, then you shouldn't comment on any of these picks. After all, Kokinis knows more than you.
Still not sure what I think of Veikune. Watched the Notre Dame game last night and am hoping to watch some more of him. But I think people here have a right to criticize the pick and where it was made. After all, we both respect Sobo's opinion a ton, and he gave Veikune a mid/late 3rd round grade.
Aloysius said:
If you buy that, then you shouldn't comment on any of these picks. After all, Kokinis knows more than you.Still not sure what I think of Veikune. Watched the Notre Dame game last night and am hoping to watch some more of him. But I think people here have a right to criticize the pick and where it was made. After all, we both respect Sobo's opinion a ton, and he gave Veikune a mid/late 3rd round grade.
Considering they didn't have a 3rd round pick, and apparently really like the guy, they must have felt he would have gone in the 3rd.
-
I like the pick.
Read somewhere he is from a military family...has excellent discipline and is first to hit the gym.
Rey Rey declined to meet with the browns prior to the draft. Mangini also went out to USC's pro day.
-
-
Veikune exhibited exceptional special teams ability during the Senior Bowl. Two of his three tackles in the game came on specials, but his best work came as a blocker on returns. On one kickoff, I saw him take out two to three blockers, allowing the returner to cut back and gain an additional 8-10 yards. Looks like he'll be Josh Cribbs' best friend.
However, other aspects of his game concern me a little. As OldCrow mentioned, he's not the most fluid athlete. I saw him lose his footing twice: once changing directions while covering a punt, the other while trying to run a stunt. And while he got some pressure from the right side, he never actually beat an offensive tackle with quickness or good rush moves - his success came when he beat a TE or the TE released but pressure from elsewhere forced the QB to hold onto the ball.
He particularly struggled against William Beatty, a legit LT prospect with some strength/toughness issues. Veikune wasn't able to use his quick first step to beat him, and his attempts to bull rush Beatty were similarly ineffective. Of the DE group he rotated in (Robert Ayers, Kyle Moore, Lawrence Sidbury), Veikune may have been the least impressive pass rusher.
-
@shepwrite said:
Veikune feels like a guy we'd pass on and the Steelers would take -- high motor guy with a nasty streak -- and he'd become a star.He did 35 reps.......................now that's impressive. In 3 years from now, when this draft can be rated, we will all know if he was a reach or the real thing.
-
I did read in the Miami Herald that the Dolphins (Parcells) brought him in down here and they were targeting him as one of their possible choices probably in the 3rd round.
Being that we had no 3rd round pick, and ManKok wanted the guy, I like the pick.
-
@shepwrite said:
Also ran a 4.6 something and jumped 35 or 36, right? That's major explosion.4.79 40, 33" vert.
-
Veikune exhibited exceptional special teams ability during the Senior Bowl. Two of his three tackles in the game came on specials, but his best work came as a blocker on returns. On one kickoff, I saw him take out two to three blockers, allowing the returner to cut back and gain an additional 8-10 yards. Looks like he'll be Josh Cribbs' best friend.
However, other aspects of his game concern me a little. As OldCrow mentioned, he's not the most fluid athlete. I saw him lose his footing twice: once changing directions while covering a punt, the other while trying to run a stunt. And while he got some pressure from the right side, he never actually beat an offensive tackle with quickness or good rush moves - his success came when he beat a TE or the TE released but pressure from elsewhere forced the QB to hold onto the ball.
He particularly struggled against William Beatty, a legit LT prospect with some strength/toughness issues. Veikune wasn't able to use his quick first step to beat him, and his attempts to bull rush Beatty were similarly ineffective. Of the DE group he rotated in (Robert Ayers, Kyle Moore, Lawrence Sidbury), Veikune may have been the least impressive pass rusher.
Aloysius said:
Veikune exhibited exceptional special teams ability during the Senior Bowl. Two of his three tackles in the game came on specials, but his best work came as a blocker on returns. On one kickoff, I saw him take out two to three blockers, allowing the returner to cut back and gain an additional 8-10 yards. Looks like he'll be Josh Cribbs' best friend.However, other aspects of his game concern me a little. As OldCrow mentioned, he's not the most fluid athlete. I saw him lose his footing twice: once changing directions while covering a punt, the other while trying to run a stunt. And while he got some pressure from the right side, he never actually beat an offensive tackle with quickness or good rush moves - his success came when he beat a TE or the TE released but pressure from elsewhere forced the QB to hold onto the ball.
He particularly struggled against William Beatty, a legit LT prospect with some strength/toughness issues. Veikune wasn't able to use his quick first step to beat him, and his attempts to bull rush Beatty were similarly ineffective. Of the DE group he rotated in (Robert Ayers, Kyle Moore, Lawrence Sidbury), Veikune may have been the least impressive pass rusher.
In the end what do you think Aloy?....Not what you are hearing but what you think. Do you see him as a better fit at OLB or ILB?
-
Still need to see more of him. Hopefully, I'll get ahold of a few more games to watch in the next couple days.
-
Still need to see more of him. Hopefully, I'll get ahold of a few more games to watch in the next couple days.
Aloysius said:
Still need to see more of him. Hopefully, I'll get ahold of a few more games to watch in the next couple days.Please share when you do.
-
During the owners meetings Mangini went to Hawaii to work out Veikune. In their draft analysis NFL.com compares him to Tedy Bruschi as a 3-4 high motor LB.
6'2" and 257 lbs. benched 225 lbs 35 times and at his pro day ran a 4.76. Had 9 sacks as a senior and 25 tackles for loss his last two years.
NFL.com says he sheds blocks well, uses his hands well and has played with his hand down and standing up.
I give the FO and coaching staff kudo's for doing their homework and getting this guy. This was a guy that Mangini stole out from under percels. Mangini says he expects him to come in and compete for playing time immediately.
During the owners meetings Mangini went to Hawaii to work out Veikune. In their draft analysis NFL.com compares him to Tedy Bruschi as a 3-4 high motor LB.
6'2" and 257 lbs. benched 225 lbs 35 times and at his pro day ran a 4.76. Had 9 sacks as a senior and 25 tackles for loss his last two years.
NFL.com says he sheds blocks well, uses his hands well and has played with his hand down and standing up.
I give the FO and coaching staff kudo's for doing their homework and getting this guy. This was a guy that Mangini stole out from under percels. Mangini says he expects him to come in and compete for playing time immediately.
don't forget the warrior blood.
this beast is
in.....tan.....gible......and seems to innately have the heart of the Pre-Browns Browns.
love the pick on paper so far and don't miss Clay 3 a bit.....oddly enough.
kok/man batted a thousand top to bottom.
-
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/06/2...ts/story04.html
Found this 2008 article on Veikune. How about a 500 lb. bench press.
That was before his senior year. Sounds like a number we heard associated w/Arakpo.
-
Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.
Per Matt Maiocco:
--The team has no plans to sign undrafted free agent linebacker Worrell Williams (Cal), who was unable to show his stuff at minicamp because of an injury.
--The 49ers are open to signing undrafted rookie defensive end Brandon Long (Michigan State) after he recovers from a stress fracture in his foot. The team agreed to terms with him last week, but he failed the physical and was sent home.
It'll be interesting to see if either of these guys get picked up. Both are talented enough to play on Sundays.
-
Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.
Per Matt Maiocco:
--The team has no plans to sign undrafted free agent linebacker Worrell Williams (Cal), who was unable to show his stuff at minicamp because of an injury.
--The 49ers are open to signing undrafted rookie defensive end Brandon Long (Michigan State) after he recovers from a stress fracture in his foot. The team agreed to terms with him last week, but he failed the physical and was sent home.
It'll be interesting to see if either of these guys get picked up. Both are talented enough to play on Sundays.
Aloysius said:
Per Matt Maiocco:I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.
With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.



-
@shepwrite said:
Sisky, I would just like to take the time to say that was a brilliant post. Nothing less than brilliant.awww thanks for noticing good buddy. you're the best sheps.
although it's uncanny how we both forgot to thank each other. (!)
did i mention he has warrior bloodlines? like literally, not just his alma mater.

-
Aloysius said:
Funny you mentioned Bowens. It sounds like Mangini & Kokinis see him as a similar type of player: a smart, high effort guy who's versatile enough to play either inside or out.It was good to hear Mangini mention him playing inside. If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.
But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks. If they brought him in the play the middle I like this pick much more than I thought I would. He also gives you the bulk inside that you miss with having Jackson in the middle.
I could very easily see a starting four of Bowens, Jackson, Veikune and Wimbley.
If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.
But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.
What you just described is James Harrison.
-
If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.
But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.
What you just described is James Harrison.
-
Aloysius said:
Per Matt Maiocco:I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.
With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.



I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.
With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.
No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.
Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
