Skip to content

David Veikune

The Browns Board
51 18 4.8k
  • I did read in the Miami Herald that the Dolphins (Parcells) brought him in down here and they were targeting him as one of their possible choices probably in the 3rd round.

    Being that we had no 3rd round pick, and ManKok wanted the guy, I like the pick.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Also ran a 4.6 something and jumped 35 or 36, right? That's major explosion.

    4.79 40, 33" vert.

  • Veikune exhibited exceptional special teams ability during the Senior Bowl. Two of his three tackles in the game came on specials, but his best work came as a blocker on returns. On one kickoff, I saw him take out two to three blockers, allowing the returner to cut back and gain an additional 8-10 yards. Looks like he'll be Josh Cribbs' best friend.

    However, other aspects of his game concern me a little. As OldCrow mentioned, he's not the most fluid athlete. I saw him lose his footing twice: once changing directions while covering a punt, the other while trying to run a stunt. And while he got some pressure from the right side, he never actually beat an offensive tackle with quickness or good rush moves - his success came when he beat a TE or the TE released but pressure from elsewhere forced the QB to hold onto the ball.

    He particularly struggled against William Beatty, a legit LT prospect with some strength/toughness issues. Veikune wasn't able to use his quick first step to beat him, and his attempts to bull rush Beatty were similarly ineffective. Of the DE group he rotated in (Robert Ayers, Kyle Moore, Lawrence Sidbury), Veikune may have been the least impressive pass rusher.

    Aloysius said:

    Veikune exhibited exceptional special teams ability during the Senior Bowl. Two of his three tackles in the game came on specials, but his best work came as a blocker on returns. On one kickoff, I saw him take out two to three blockers, allowing the returner to cut back and gain an additional 8-10 yards. Looks like he'll be Josh Cribbs' best friend.

    However, other aspects of his game concern me a little. As OldCrow mentioned, he's not the most fluid athlete. I saw him lose his footing twice: once changing directions while covering a punt, the other while trying to run a stunt. And while he got some pressure from the right side, he never actually beat an offensive tackle with quickness or good rush moves - his success came when he beat a TE or the TE released but pressure from elsewhere forced the QB to hold onto the ball.

    He particularly struggled against William Beatty, a legit LT prospect with some strength/toughness issues. Veikune wasn't able to use his quick first step to beat him, and his attempts to bull rush Beatty were similarly ineffective. Of the DE group he rotated in (Robert Ayers, Kyle Moore, Lawrence Sidbury), Veikune may have been the least impressive pass rusher.

    In the end what do you think Aloy?....Not what you are hearing but what you think. Do you see him as a better fit at OLB or ILB?

  • Still need to see more of him. Hopefully, I'll get ahold of a few more games to watch in the next couple days.

  • Still need to see more of him. Hopefully, I'll get ahold of a few more games to watch in the next couple days.

    Aloysius said:

    Still need to see more of him. Hopefully, I'll get ahold of a few more games to watch in the next couple days.

    Please share when you do.

  • During the owners meetings Mangini went to Hawaii to work out Veikune. In their draft analysis NFL.com compares him to Tedy Bruschi as a 3-4 high motor LB.

    6'2" and 257 lbs. benched 225 lbs 35 times and at his pro day ran a 4.76. Had 9 sacks as a senior and 25 tackles for loss his last two years.

    NFL.com says he sheds blocks well, uses his hands well and has played with his hand down and standing up.

    I give the FO and coaching staff kudo's for doing their homework and getting this guy. This was a guy that Mangini stole out from under percels. Mangini says he expects him to come in and compete for playing time immediately.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    During the owners meetings Mangini went to Hawaii to work out Veikune. In their draft analysis NFL.com compares him to Tedy Bruschi as a 3-4 high motor LB.

    6'2" and 257 lbs. benched 225 lbs 35 times and at his pro day ran a 4.76. Had 9 sacks as a senior and 25 tackles for loss his last two years.

    NFL.com says he sheds blocks well, uses his hands well and has played with his hand down and standing up.

    I give the FO and coaching staff kudo's for doing their homework and getting this guy. This was a guy that Mangini stole out from under percels. Mangini says he expects him to come in and compete for playing time immediately.

    don't forget the warrior blood.

    this beast is

    in.....tan.....gible......and seems to innately have the heart of the Pre-Browns Browns.

    love the pick on paper so far and don't miss Clay 3 a bit.....oddly enough.

    kok/man batted a thousand top to bottom.

  • http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/06/2...ts/story04.html

    Found this 2008 article on Veikune. How about a 500 lb. bench press.

    That was before his senior year. Sounds like a number we heard associated w/Arakpo.

  • @mr.-t said:

    We still need some depth at OLB,

    Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    --The team has no plans to sign undrafted free agent linebacker Worrell Williams (Cal), who was unable to show his stuff at minicamp because of an injury.

    --The 49ers are open to signing undrafted rookie defensive end Brandon Long (Michigan State) after he recovers from a stress fracture in his foot. The team agreed to terms with him last week, but he failed the physical and was sent home.

    It'll be interesting to see if either of these guys get picked up. Both are talented enough to play on Sundays.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    --The team has no plans to sign undrafted free agent linebacker Worrell Williams (Cal), who was unable to show his stuff at minicamp because of an injury.

    --The 49ers are open to signing undrafted rookie defensive end Brandon Long (Michigan State) after he recovers from a stress fracture in his foot. The team agreed to terms with him last week, but he failed the physical and was sent home.

    It'll be interesting to see if either of these guys get picked up. Both are talented enough to play on Sundays.

    Aloysius said:

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    long2.jpg

    long.jpg

    long1.jpg

  • @shepwrite said:

    Sisky, I would just like to take the time to say that was a brilliant post. Nothing less than brilliant.

    awww thanks for noticing good buddy. you're the best sheps.

    although it's uncanny how we both forgot to thank each other. (!)

    did i mention he has warrior bloodlines? like literally, not just his alma mater. 🙂

  • Aloysius said:

    Funny you mentioned Bowens. It sounds like Mangini & Kokinis see him as a similar type of player: a smart, high effort guy who's versatile enough to play either inside or out.

    It was good to hear Mangini mention him playing inside. If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks. If they brought him in the play the middle I like this pick much more than I thought I would. He also gives you the bulk inside that you miss with having Jackson in the middle.

    I could very easily see a starting four of Bowens, Jackson, Veikune and Wimbley.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.

    What you just described is James Harrison.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    @dtbh said:

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    Wow....You are brilliant.

    That may have been the most eye opening post of the year! Good job.

  • Aloysius said:

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    long2.jpg

    long.jpg

    long1.jpg

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    @dtbh said:

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    except he's 6'2" and i think Harrison is 5'11".

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Aloysius said:

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    I'm sure you are right concerning where his best postion would be.

    I haven't watched him enough. I'm sure not nearly as much as you have. I'll always remember him getting to Stafford in the Georgia game. He seemed really quick. But there has to be some problems because even with the foot problem I would've thought he would have been picked up by someone on day two. The NFL loves the kind of numbers he put up at his pro day.

    I hope the kid gets a shot and makes it. I'll always pull for those Northeast Ohio guys.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Aloysius said:

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Thanks for the heads up on Jones. I have not seen him at all. I know I've seen his name as far as being a day one pick but I have yet to watch any film.

    So you thinks he's 1st rounder?

  • OBR states that Davide Veikune is the newest addition to our ILB's. I think Mangini saw him as a cheaper Maualuga!

  • 25 tackles for a loss in two seasons. That is very impressive.

  • OBR states that Davide Veikune is the newest addition to our ILB's. I think Mangini saw him as a cheaper Maualuga!

    @playgroundlegend said:

    OBR states that Davide Veikune is the newest addition to our ILB's. I think Mangini saw him as a cheaper Maualuga!

    Not sure that's what they're actually reporting. One of their guys said that Veikune primarily played OLB during minicamp.

    On Maualuga, this comment from an anonymous front office guy is interesting:

    — “What scared everyone about (USC LB Rey) Maualuga were the alcohol issues. That’s why he lasted as long as he did.”
  • Aloysius said:

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Thanks for the heads up on Jones. I have not seen him at all. I know I've seen his name as far as being a day one pick but I have yet to watch any film.

    So you thinks he's 1st rounder?

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    Thanks for the heads up on Jones. I have not seen him at all. I know I've seen his name as far as being a day one pick but I have yet to watch any film.

    So you thinks he's 1st rounder?

    He's a junior, so he'll only be available if he thinks he has a shot of going in Round 1. If he matches his production from last year (127 tackles, 14 TFL), that should happen.

    One concern I have is that he's listed as being 6'1", 222 lbs., but he looks and plays bigger than that.