Skip to content

David Veikune

The Browns Board
51 18 4.8k
  • http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/06/2...ts/story04.html

    Found this 2008 article on Veikune. How about a 500 lb. bench press.

    That was before his senior year. Sounds like a number we heard associated w/Arakpo.

  • @mr.-t said:

    We still need some depth at OLB,

    Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    --The team has no plans to sign undrafted free agent linebacker Worrell Williams (Cal), who was unable to show his stuff at minicamp because of an injury.

    --The 49ers are open to signing undrafted rookie defensive end Brandon Long (Michigan State) after he recovers from a stress fracture in his foot. The team agreed to terms with him last week, but he failed the physical and was sent home.

    It'll be interesting to see if either of these guys get picked up. Both are talented enough to play on Sundays.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    Brandon Long....If he's still around in the 4th. I have a feeling he'll go in the third though.

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    --The team has no plans to sign undrafted free agent linebacker Worrell Williams (Cal), who was unable to show his stuff at minicamp because of an injury.

    --The 49ers are open to signing undrafted rookie defensive end Brandon Long (Michigan State) after he recovers from a stress fracture in his foot. The team agreed to terms with him last week, but he failed the physical and was sent home.

    It'll be interesting to see if either of these guys get picked up. Both are talented enough to play on Sundays.

    Aloysius said:

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    long2.jpg

    long.jpg

    long1.jpg

  • @shepwrite said:

    Sisky, I would just like to take the time to say that was a brilliant post. Nothing less than brilliant.

    awww thanks for noticing good buddy. you're the best sheps.

    although it's uncanny how we both forgot to thank each other. (!)

    did i mention he has warrior bloodlines? like literally, not just his alma mater. 🙂

  • Aloysius said:

    Funny you mentioned Bowens. It sounds like Mangini & Kokinis see him as a similar type of player: a smart, high effort guy who's versatile enough to play either inside or out.

    It was good to hear Mangini mention him playing inside. If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks. If they brought him in the play the middle I like this pick much more than I thought I would. He also gives you the bulk inside that you miss with having Jackson in the middle.

    I could very easily see a starting four of Bowens, Jackson, Veikune and Wimbley.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.

    What you just described is James Harrison.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    @dtbh said:

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    Wow....You are brilliant.

    That may have been the most eye opening post of the year! Good job.

  • Aloysius said:

    Per Matt Maiocco:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    long2.jpg

    long.jpg

    long1.jpg

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    If you look at Veikune's numbers and strengths, it screams inside LB. He's short for a OLB rush guy. One of his weakness is that he can get swallowed up by big OT's and doesn't have the elite speed for beating OT's.

    But his strengths are his Brute strength and his abiltiy to shed blocks.

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    @dtbh said:

    What you just described is James Harrison.

    except he's 6'2" and i think Harrison is 5'11".

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Aloysius said:

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    I'm sure you are right concerning where his best postion would be.

    I haven't watched him enough. I'm sure not nearly as much as you have. I'll always remember him getting to Stafford in the Georgia game. He seemed really quick. But there has to be some problems because even with the foot problem I would've thought he would have been picked up by someone on day two. The NFL loves the kind of numbers he put up at his pro day.

    I hope the kid gets a shot and makes it. I'll always pull for those Northeast Ohio guys.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm glad you pointed that out Aloy. That still shocks me. This guy had an unbelievable pro day. Ran the 40 in 4.58. 33 reps on the bench. Even with the stress fracture I would've taken a shot at him.

    With him being a local guy I'm really, really disappointed the browns didn't sign him.

    No doubt he's got good size & athleticism, but he was pretty low on sack production (5.5 sacks in '08, 2.0 in '07). When I watched him play, I just didn't see that quick first step you like to see in a edge rusher. He's talented enough to be the type of versatile reserve/special teams guy that earns a spot on an NFL roster, but I'm not sure he's got starting 3-4 OLB potential. He might be a better fit working inside.

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Aloysius said:

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Thanks for the heads up on Jones. I have not seen him at all. I know I've seen his name as far as being a day one pick but I have yet to watch any film.

    So you thinks he's 1st rounder?

  • OBR states that Davide Veikune is the newest addition to our ILB's. I think Mangini saw him as a cheaper Maualuga!

  • 25 tackles for a loss in two seasons. That is very impressive.

  • OBR states that Davide Veikune is the newest addition to our ILB's. I think Mangini saw him as a cheaper Maualuga!

    @playgroundlegend said:

    OBR states that Davide Veikune is the newest addition to our ILB's. I think Mangini saw him as a cheaper Maualuga!

    Not sure that's what they're actually reporting. One of their guys said that Veikune primarily played OLB during minicamp.

    On Maualuga, this comment from an anonymous front office guy is interesting:

    — “What scared everyone about (USC LB Rey) Maualuga were the alcohol issues. That’s why he lasted as long as he did.”
  • Aloysius said:

    Long's former teammate, Greg Jones, is a guy to watch next year. I think he's a poor man's Aaron Curry.

    Thanks for the heads up on Jones. I have not seen him at all. I know I've seen his name as far as being a day one pick but I have yet to watch any film.

    So you thinks he's 1st rounder?

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    Thanks for the heads up on Jones. I have not seen him at all. I know I've seen his name as far as being a day one pick but I have yet to watch any film.

    So you thinks he's 1st rounder?

    He's a junior, so he'll only be available if he thinks he has a shot of going in Round 1. If he matches his production from last year (127 tackles, 14 TFL), that should happen.

    One concern I have is that he's listed as being 6'1", 222 lbs., but he looks and plays bigger than that.

  • It had to be something on Rey.

    Binge drinking can be a problem, or get you in to a world of problems.

    Add in deep pockets for the first time in your life and life can be a big party.

    If you have that party mentality, it is only a powder keg waiting to explode once you add in millions of dollars.

    The best thing a player can do is have a trusted agent put them on a strict budget for the first 3-4 years until they grow up a bit

  • Good stuff.

    Experience in coverage should help Browns rookie OLB David Veikune

    By Mike Wilkening

    May 15, 2009

    Browns rookie David Veikune is making the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker, but the second-round pick from Hawaii does bring some experience in pass coverage — perhaps the biggest challenge for a player making such a position switch. Veikune occasionally dropped into coverage when the Warriors played “zone-dog” defenses in passing situations. In such a scheme, the Warriors blitz five players and have six players drop into coverage, with a defensive end and a linebacker responsible for the receivers running underneath while the cornerbacks and safeties play over the top. “He would make the drop according to what he saw,” Hawaii DL coach Dave Aranda said of Veikune, whom he called the hardest-working player he had ever coached. Browns head coach Eric Mangini made note of Veikune’s movement skills at the club’s rookie minicamp earlier this month. “I’ve been really happy with what I’ve seen,” Mangini told reporters. “He is fluid for someone his size, for someone who has limited exposure to standing up.” Aranda told PFW that playing the run shouldn’t be a problem for Veikune, either, even after playing in the pass-happy Western Athletic Conference, noting that Veikune uses his hands well and plays with physicality.

  • Thanks.....

    Viekune really is the key to this draft.

    He was pretty much a need pick...which is fine....add in we probably reached for him by not having a 3rd rounder, it makes it all the more important he ends up a good player. Second rounders have to end up solid players

    This is one of those picks a coach/team makes that either makes them look brilliant, or a little bit dim.

    Everything i read and see points to it being a good pick.

    Time will tell.

  • I think MoMass is going to be a boom or bust pick.....no guess at this point.

    Robiskie is a solid player who is probably about as good as he is going to get. Mass is a guy who in 2-3 years will either pass Robiskie or we won't hear much from or about him.

  • Here's how Veikune looked in the bowl game against Notre Dame. It was a tough matchup against RT Sam Young, who's projected to be a 2nd round pick in next year's draft.

  • Here's how Veikune looked in the bowl game against Notre Dame. It was a tough matchup against RT Sam Young, who's projected to be a 2nd round pick in next year's draft.

    Aloysius said:

    Here's how Veikune looked in the bowl game against Notre Dame. It was a tough matchup against RT Sam Young, who's projected to be a 2nd round pick in next year's draft.

    The more I watch him the more I firmly believe this guy has middle linebacker written all over him. There is nothing there that causes me to think he could play the outside.

    I also still don't see what Mangini is seeing when he talks about him being so fluid when changing direction. I didn't see it at the combine and don't see it on films like this either. It's funny but I see him as being almost stiff. Do you see this fluidity that Mangini talks about Aloy?

    I think he looks his best when he's taking a blocker straight on and shedding the block. I guess that's why I'm not a pro scout.