Skip to content

Dumpster diving

The Browns Board
59 17 2.5k
  • TGZ is already in the house?

    Texans waived WR Cecil Short III. Medium sized WR who had a great year with JAX. Caught in a bit of a numbers game going into his 2nd year with HOU, but could be a question of injury toll though. And certainly not an area where we need bodies....

  • Any of the recent cuts interest anyone? I imagine Sashi will be sifting through the cuts to try to fill the gaps.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Any of the recent cuts interest anyone? I imagine Sashi will be sifting through the cuts to try to fill the gaps.

    What's up with Center John Sullivan getting cut in Minnesota? Is he injured or was it a salary cap thing?

    Last time I remember an allegedly washed up Center coming here it was Hank Fraley giving us an incredibly pleasant surprise. That guy was still able able to pull around end from his Center position in his 30s which was as unique as it was excellent.

  • @hoorta said:

    Happy, happy, joy, joy. 😁 😄 😁 At least the FO knew they were dealing with garbage. Now about that seventh round pick we just wasted........

    About that 7th round pick we just turned into a 4th round pick ...

    Z

    Zombo said:

    About that 7th round pick we just turned into a 4th round pick ...

    Z

    we did turn a seventh into a fourth- but we're still minus that seventh, if I understand the trade correctly. Hehe, maybe Sashi and Depo can turn that fourth pick into 6 seventh round picks. 😛

  • Zombo said:

    About that 7th round pick we just turned into a 4th round pick ...

    Z

    we did turn a seventh into a fourth- but we're still minus that seventh, if I understand the trade correctly. Hehe, maybe Sashi and Depo can turn that fourth pick into 6 seventh round picks. 😛

    @hoorta said:

    we did turn a seventh into a fourth- but we're still minus that seventh, if I understand the trade correctly. Hehe, maybe Sashi and Depo can turn that fourth pick into 6 seventh round picks. 😛

    We dumped Peggy Lee and a 7th rounder for a 4th rounder and then picked up Denver's all-time leading punter in the middle of his career for free.

    It was fricking brilliant.

    Z

  • True Z,

    The punting trade sounds more and more brilliant everyday.

    I guess Lee was a bit soft.

  • This trade/net player gained is up there with the Trent raping of the Colts (almost)...... Basically very little on field difference between "Too scared to tackle" Lee and "I just win Superbowls" Colquitt, and we got a 4th round pick on top. Well done.

  • @hoorta said:

    we did turn a seventh into a fourth- but we're still minus that seventh, if I understand the trade correctly. Hehe, maybe Sashi and Depo can turn that fourth pick into 6 seventh round picks. 😛

    We dumped Peggy Lee and a 7th rounder for a 4th rounder and then picked up Denver's all-time leading punter in the middle of his career for free.

    It was fricking brilliant.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    We dumped Peggy Lee and a 7th rounder for a 4th rounder and then picked up Denver's all-time leading punter in the middle of his career for free.

    It was fricking brilliant.

    Z

    More like frickin' lucky.

  • stephen paea added.. not sure what to think about this..

  • Zombo said:

    We dumped Peggy Lee and a 7th rounder for a 4th rounder and then picked up Denver's all-time leading punter in the middle of his career for free.

    It was fricking brilliant.

    Z

    More like frickin' lucky.

    @hoorta said:

    More like frickin' lucky.

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

  • @hoorta said:

    More like frickin' lucky.

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

    The "in" thing right now is to mope about cuts to a team that wasn't going to do shit anyway. Rebuilding is the name of the game.

  • Zombo said:

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

    The "in" thing right now is to mope about cuts to a team that wasn't going to do shit anyway. Rebuilding is the name of the game.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    The "in" thing right now is to mope about cuts to a team that wasn't going to do shit anyway. Rebuilding is the name of the game.

    Yeah LFS, it feels like a sorority house full of estrogen in here lately.

  • @hoorta said:

    More like frickin' lucky.

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

    I'll give them credit for being lucky- and being aware that Colquitt was still out there. If some other team had beat us to the punch- we would have had shit punting (and our incredibly valuable 2018 low 4th round pick). Um, that's worth about 55 points on the draft value chart. However, the shit punting would have blended right in with the rest of the shit on the team. 🙂
    FWIW, it's probably unheard of for a team to have 14 draft picks- and have every one of them make the final roster. It's either they had the best draft of all time, or Sashi and Depo are so arrogant they're refusing to admit they made even ONE mistake in the draft. The other possibility is (and I'd refuse to believe it) the overall talent on the Browns before they took over was worse than the 0-16 Lions. So think about that for a minute.
    PS- I'll also give them credit for clearing out a lot of future cap room, remains to be seen how they use it.
  • Zombo said:

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

    The "in" thing right now is to mope about cuts to a team that wasn't going to do shit anyway. Rebuilding is the name of the game.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    The "in" thing right now is to mope about cuts to a team that wasn't going to do shit anyway. Rebuilding is the name of the game.

    @flugel said:

    Yeah LFS, it feels like a sorority house full of estrogen in here lately.

    OK Flugs- and this is addressed to Zombo too- here's where I'm coming from. Can't remember who, but someone had a sig line- "CLEVELAND BROWNS, REBUILDING SINCE 1999, WHY STOP NOW?" Sorry, but this crap has just gotten really, really, REALLY old for me. Hell, the Panthers made the Super Bowl, tore the team down, went to another Super Bowl, and the Browns have done jack shit in the meantime.

    We're currently into (pick a number, I've lost count) blow it all up- rebuild. Anyone who thinks we're going to win more than a couple games this year- well, Zombo- if a Browns fan believes that- sell them some prime Florida Swampland real estate. But yeah- THIS time it's gonna be different. Yada, yada, yada. Well f**king SHOW ME this time it's going to be different, before I invest an ounce of energy in belief. MHO? Haslam is taking a huge risk. Putting a bean counter (Sashi) and a baseball analytics guy (DePodesta) in charge. If it blows up in his face- he's wearing the village idiot hat in the entire NFL.

    So we're being asked to be patient- yet again. I suppose we don't have any choice in the matter. I'm not buying in until I see the progress is for real this time. & I'm not getting my hopes up to have them crushed for the 10th + time. Patience? As the one Buzzard said to the other Buzzard- "patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something."

    PS- my prediction- by the break, plenty of fickle fans will have drifted over to the Ghoolie Dark Side. "let the anger and frustration FLOW through you son."

  • Sharkey sounds fishy. Shankey a bad FG kicker. He's name is Sankey & for years I called him Stankey 😆 Who knew?

    @gumby73 said:

    Sharkey sounds fishy. Shankey a bad FG kicker. He's name is Sankey & for years I called him Stankey 😆 Who knew?

    I like some of the dumpster names that you remember from your FL teams from ~5 years ago. .....and they were second or third tier players back then. But occasionally you can find a real bona fide gem. (hey I had Sankey once 🙁 )

  • Bohringer, the German kid with the decent shorts olympics numbers, got cut by the Vikings. There were some here clamoring for him.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    The "in" thing right now is to mope about cuts to a team that wasn't going to do shit anyway. Rebuilding is the name of the game.

    @flugel said:

    Yeah LFS, it feels like a sorority house full of estrogen in here lately.

    OK Flugs- and this is addressed to Zombo too- here's where I'm coming from. Can't remember who, but someone had a sig line- "CLEVELAND BROWNS, REBUILDING SINCE 1999, WHY STOP NOW?" Sorry, but this crap has just gotten really, really, REALLY old for me. Hell, the Panthers made the Super Bowl, tore the team down, went to another Super Bowl, and the Browns have done jack shit in the meantime.

    We're currently into (pick a number, I've lost count) blow it all up- rebuild. Anyone who thinks we're going to win more than a couple games this year- well, Zombo- if a Browns fan believes that- sell them some prime Florida Swampland real estate. But yeah- THIS time it's gonna be different. Yada, yada, yada. Well f**king SHOW ME this time it's going to be different, before I invest an ounce of energy in belief. MHO? Haslam is taking a huge risk. Putting a bean counter (Sashi) and a baseball analytics guy (DePodesta) in charge. If it blows up in his face- he's wearing the village idiot hat in the entire NFL.

    So we're being asked to be patient- yet again. I suppose we don't have any choice in the matter. I'm not buying in until I see the progress is for real this time. & I'm not getting my hopes up to have them crushed for the 10th + time. Patience? As the one Buzzard said to the other Buzzard- "patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something."

    PS- my prediction- by the break, plenty of fickle fans will have drifted over to the Ghoolie Dark Side. "let the anger and frustration FLOW through you son."

    @hoorta said:

    We're currently into (pick a number, I've lost count) blow it all up- rebuild.

    PS- my prediction- by the break, plenty of fickle fans will have drifted over to the Ghoolie Dark Side. "let the anger and frustration FLOW through you son."

    Three things...

    1. This is rebuild #1 for this FO.
    2. This rebuild is different than any that preceded it.
    3. No one is seriously predicting playoffs for this team... and that's different, too.

    Now are they doing it right? Is "different" going to be better? Fuck if I know... but I will be watching for signs. And in the absence of their being illuminated by "W's", I think I will have to look very hard.

    As for the Dark Side? I doubt it will get crowded. I don't think expectations will be high enough to drive folks that direction... not this year.

  • Lol at the ghoolie dark side. Obi-Zombo and Darth Ghoolie....

  • Zombo said:

    Just not going to give these new guys credit for anything are you?

    I think they are doing great. Excited.

    Z

    I'll give them credit for being lucky- and being aware that Colquitt was still out there. If some other team had beat us to the punch- we would have had shit punting (and our incredibly valuable 2018 low 4th round pick). Um, that's worth about 55 points on the draft value chart. However, the shit punting would have blended right in with the rest of the shit on the team. 🙂
    FWIW, it's probably unheard of for a team to have 14 draft picks- and have every one of them make the final roster. It's either they had the best draft of all time, or Sashi and Depo are so arrogant they're refusing to admit they made even ONE mistake in the draft. The other possibility is (and I'd refuse to believe it) the overall talent on the Browns before they took over was worse than the 0-16 Lions. So think about that for a minute.
    PS- I'll also give them credit for clearing out a lot of future cap room, remains to be seen how they use it.

    @hoorta said:

    I'll give them credit for being lucky- and being aware that Colquitt was still out there. If some other team had beat us to the punch- we would have had shit punting (and our incredibly valuable 2018 low 4th round pick). Um, that's worth about 55 points on the draft value chart. However, the shit punting would have blended right in with the rest of the shit on the team. 🙂
    FWIW, it's probably unheard of for a team to have 14 draft picks- and have every one of them make the final roster. It's either they had the best draft of all time, or Sashi and Depo are so arrogant they're refusing to admit they made even ONE mistake in the draft. The other possibility is (and I'd refuse to believe it) the overall talent on the Browns before they took over was worse than the 0-16 Lions. So think about that for a minute.
    PS- I'll also give them credit for clearing out a lot of future cap room, remains to be seen how they use it.

    We got a 4th rounder for a punter. Enough said.

    As for the roster, I didn't think we would cut any of the draft picks, but I thought they might stash a couple on the IR, I thought Louis and Caldwell were candidates.

    Nassib and Kendrid ALREADY look like they are finds for where they were drafted. Oggie and Coleman are starters, so we will quickly find out what we have there. I think they will fare better than the guys we had at their respective positions last year.

    Schobert, Drango and Scooby EARNED their roster spots with solid play.

    That leaves Shon Coleman, Caldwell and the three wide receivers as guys they kept around solely because they think they can add a lot to the club in the future. Remember the future? It is what the 2016 Browns are all about. Unless you miss those 3-13 2015 Browns with no direction. One of those rookie WRS will have to step up and become the 4th WR (5th when Josh is back) that will be an interesting competition, competition is always good. The other two can sit inactive every week. Somebody has to.

    Zombo

  • @hoorta said:

    We're currently into (pick a number, I've lost count) blow it all up- rebuild.

    PS- my prediction- by the break, plenty of fickle fans will have drifted over to the Ghoolie Dark Side. "let the anger and frustration FLOW through you son."

    Three things...

    1. This is rebuild #1 for this FO.
    2. This rebuild is different than any that preceded it.
    3. No one is seriously predicting playoffs for this team... and that's different, too.

    Now are they doing it right? Is "different" going to be better? Fuck if I know... but I will be watching for signs. And in the absence of their being illuminated by "W's", I think I will have to look very hard.

    As for the Dark Side? I doubt it will get crowded. I don't think expectations will be high enough to drive folks that direction... not this year.

    @tour2ma said:

    Three things...

    1. This is rebuild #1 for this FO.
    2. This rebuild is different than any that preceded it.
    3. No one is seriously predicting playoffs for this team... and that's different, too.

    Now are they doing it right? Is "different" going to be better? Fuck if I know... but I will be watching for signs. And in the absence of their being illuminated by "W's", I think I will have to look very hard.

    As for the Dark Side? I doubt it will get crowded. I don't think expectations will be high enough to drive folks that direction... not this year.

    Three things...

    1. This is rebuild #1 for this FO. YES!
    2. This rebuild is different than any that preceded it. YES!
    3. No one is seriously predicting playoffs for this team... and that's different, too. Yyyy ... UH OH. The Great Zomboni releases his reknowned predictions this week, and he has never NOT predicted my Brownies in the playoffs. (And he was right in 2002!!) So why change now ... Tradition is fun.

    Zombo

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    The "in" thing right now is to mope about cuts to a team that wasn't going to do shit anyway. Rebuilding is the name of the game.

    @flugel said:

    Yeah LFS, it feels like a sorority house full of estrogen in here lately.

    OK Flugs- and this is addressed to Zombo too- here's where I'm coming from. Can't remember who, but someone had a sig line- "CLEVELAND BROWNS, REBUILDING SINCE 1999, WHY STOP NOW?" Sorry, but this crap has just gotten really, really, REALLY old for me. Hell, the Panthers made the Super Bowl, tore the team down, went to another Super Bowl, and the Browns have done jack shit in the meantime.

    We're currently into (pick a number, I've lost count) blow it all up- rebuild. Anyone who thinks we're going to win more than a couple games this year- well, Zombo- if a Browns fan believes that- sell them some prime Florida Swampland real estate. But yeah- THIS time it's gonna be different. Yada, yada, yada. Well f**king SHOW ME this time it's going to be different, before I invest an ounce of energy in belief. MHO? Haslam is taking a huge risk. Putting a bean counter (Sashi) and a baseball analytics guy (DePodesta) in charge. If it blows up in his face- he's wearing the village idiot hat in the entire NFL.

    So we're being asked to be patient- yet again. I suppose we don't have any choice in the matter. I'm not buying in until I see the progress is for real this time. & I'm not getting my hopes up to have them crushed for the 10th + time. Patience? As the one Buzzard said to the other Buzzard- "patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something."

    PS- my prediction- by the break, plenty of fickle fans will have drifted over to the Ghoolie Dark Side. "let the anger and frustration FLOW through you son."

    @hoorta said:

    OK Flugs- and this is addressed to Zombo too- here's where I'm coming from. Can't remember who, but someone had a sig line- "CLEVELAND BROWNS, REBUILDING SINCE 1999, WHY STOP NOW?" Sorry, but this crap has just gotten really, really, REALLY old for me. Hell, the Panthers made the Super Bowl, tore the team down, went to another Super Bowl, and the Browns have done jack shit in the meantime.

    We're currently into (pick a number, I've lost count) blow it all up- rebuild. Anyone who thinks we're going to win more than a couple games this year- well, Zombo- if a Browns fan believes that- sell them some prime Florida Swampland real estate. But yeah- THIS time it's gonna be different. Yada, yada, yada. Well f**king SHOW ME this time it's going to be different, before I invest an ounce of energy in belief. MHO? Haslam is taking a huge risk. Putting a bean counter (Sashi) and a baseball analytics guy (DePodesta) in charge. If it blows up in his face- he's wearing the village idiot hat in the entire NFL.

    So we're being asked to be patient- yet again. I suppose we don't have any choice in the matter. I'm not buying in until I see the progress is for real this time. & I'm not getting my hopes up to have them crushed for the 10th + time. Patience? As the one Buzzard said to the other Buzzard- "patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something."

    PS- my prediction- by the break, plenty of fickle fans will have drifted over to the Ghoolie Dark Side. "let the anger and frustration FLOW through you son."

    Larry, I get your frustration knowing you've followed this team forever. That said, you're blaming guys that weren't even here for why you feel this way today. I'm just trying to help you channel where this needs to be placed.

    That's why I told you nobody has a pistol to your head when I merely asked you why is THIS brand new regime all of a sudden is the one that deserves all the blame for previous sins of others before this team has played its first regular season game. After fessing up to how much money you're paying out for an entertainment value that feels like food poisoning - you proceeded to tell me you just wanted to be "realistic" after I read another one of your "this team will be lucky to win 1 game" predictions. That looks like a lot of frustration clouding what you're trying to get across. Of course, we should be well trained to for gotta see it to believe it. But has that ever been a Cleveland Browns fan signed up for since the 70s? Fan isn't just a prefix of fantastic. It's a prefix of something where words like realistic don't apply.

    The reason I GET where Mud is coming from is because he tried to tell everyone that wanted 100% of all the blame on Pettine and staff that they were working around a ton of past and present front office land mines. He had a passionate argument so I can't blame him for asking why does THIS head Coach deserve excuses the last one didn't deserve? Then again, we haven't even played our first regular season game...

    Again, you're blasting this regime for their efforts/desire to correct way more land mines than they should have inherited.

    Who ended up drafting Justin Gilbert instead of Khalil Mack? Do you even fathom how much that one 4th overall pick could have SOLVED our problem with the pass rush? Some of the previous regimes were going O for 2 in the first round on multiple occasions. Yeah, blame this regime for why that kicked us back so far behind the competition today.

    This regime increased our first draft volume up to 14 selections. In the process, they also bulked up next year's draft volume (including another 1st and 3rd round pick). Now, they're trading sissies in mini skirts to Pittsburgh and Carolina for 2018 picks. That's called vision that our previous deaf, dumb and blind running the show couldn't do but they sho played a mean pinball.

    This regime is still bringing in upgrades over what was here. If you're watching a 400 meter race why freak out when they're only 20 meters into it or before the race even starts? That's what you've been doing all off season and into the preseason. Do you really miss Ray Farmer or the tea sipping fag before him that drafted Bark Mingo in the first round? Yeah, if the guy can't tackle any body on film at the college level - you MIGHT want to red flag that sucker in upper round 1.

    This regime is getting rid of the Manziels, Gilberts and Bark but no bitesies that the previous regimes brought here. Haven't you been complaining about those 3 guys forever? The new regime actually received exchange value for Gilbert within our own division and from New England. That's a Harvard intellect pulling that off.

    It's not like anyone in here is predicting flawless football in 2016. That said, how many have canceled DirecTV? Season Tickets? Road trips? That means we have a lot of fans that want to see what this team win regardless of how cool it is to pretend the 2016 season is a complete waste of time. Does anyone really stop life every Sunday afternoon because they think their favorite team is going to get completely rathoused all game long? No. Somewhere deep down, they feel that "on any given Sunday" or "this may be the day it all changes." And practice makes perfect when we think of how many times we rinsed and repeated that sucker since 1999. Every once in a while, we pull a 2002 or a 2007 season out of our ass. THAT is why you're paying cake to see this team play this year Larry.