Skip to content

Cuts to 53....

The Browns Board
124 30 4.7k
  • @opal312 said:

    Desir and Gaines? We're they that bad?

    Gaines was bad, Desir not much better. I am suprised at Desir for the simple fact we are very thin at corner now. Maybe they find someone off the scrap heap.

    @runyon27 said:

    Gaines was bad, Desir not much better. I am suprised at Desir for the simple fact we are very thin at corner now. Maybe they find someone off the scrap heap.

    Desir was the only one that really "shocked" me. I still had hopes for him but it is what it is.

  • All 14 2016 draft picks have made the team, says alot about the previous regime's ability to draft.

    @topdawg31 said:

    All 14 2016 draft picks have made the team, says a lot about the previous regime's ability to draft.

    Or the current FOs love affair with their picks. 😁 Barring someone taking a trip to IR, 2 more have to go when Gordon and Bryant come back week 5.

    I thought Louis with his lack of playing time might wind up on the practice squad or IR.

    Zombo said:

    I never thought Gabriel had a chance to make this team until the game against the Bears, he was pretty good. Turns out that was just audition tape for his next job.

    He's just too damn small.

    Yup, Hawkins is the only shrimp- 5'7" that's left.

  • I have a hard time believing patterson is better than desir

  • @opal312 said:

    Desir and Gaines? We're they that bad?

    Gaines was bad, Desir not much better. I am suprised at Desir for the simple fact we are very thin at corner now. Maybe they find someone off the scrap heap.

    @runyon27 said:

    I am suprised at Desir for the simple fact we are very thin at corner now. Maybe they find someone off the scrap heap.

    What was odd, weeks ago Horton moved Desir from CB to S. They must really like the young CB's & Caldwell has not played?

  • They kept all the Safetys I reckon.

    Or maybe not fuck I don't know.

  • Cuts to 53: WR Taylor Gabriel, WR Marlon Moore, DL Kenton Adeyemi, DL Chigbo Anunoby, CB Pierre Desier, RB Jahwan Edwards, DB Mikell Everette, OL Dan France, DB Charles Gaines, OL Garth Gerhart, TE Connor Hamlett, TE J.P. Holtz, WR Darius Jennings, OL Kaleb Johnson, OL Mike Matthews, LB Jason Neill, DB Eric Patterson, P Kasey Redfern, LB Justin Tuggle

    Previously...

    Cuts to 75: QB Austin Davis, DL Nick Hayden, LB Paul Kruger, DB Sean Baker, TE E.J. Bibbs, WR Josh Boyce, K Travis Coons, WR Ed Eagan, FB Robert Hughes, TE David Reeves, OL Cory Tucker

    @tour2ma said:

    Cuts to 53: WR Taylor Gabriel, WR Marlon Moore, DL Kenton Adeyemi, DL Chigbo Anunoby, CB Pierre Desier, RB Jahwan Edwards, DB Mikell Everette, OL Dan France, DB Charles Gaines, OL Garth Gerhart, TE Connor Hamlett, TE J.P. Holtz, WR Darius Jennings, OL Kaleb Johnson, OL Mike Matthews, LB Jason Neill, DB Eric Patterson, P Kasey Redfern, LB Justin Tuggle

    Previously...

    Cuts to 75: QB Austin Davis, DL Nick Hayden, LB Paul Kruger, DB Sean Baker, TE E.J. Bibbs, WR Josh Boyce, K Travis Coons, WR Ed Eagan, FB Robert Hughes, TE David Reeves, OL Cory Tucker

    Any PS candidates here beside maybe C Mike Matthews? TE Hamlett or Holtz? maybe there is more to come? we get 10

  • France? Gerhart?

  • France? Gerhart?

    @unsympathetic said:

    France? Gerhart?

    France maybe? but think there's a upgrade out there? Turn-style-Hart--NO tanks..

  • They cut Kasey Redfern? wasn't he their punter in the Lee trade?

  • They cut Kasey Redfern? wasn't he their punter in the Lee trade?

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    They cut Kasey Redfern? wasn't he their punter in the Lee trade?

    Yep-the punter they brought in to compete was obviously better so we traded Lee for a 4th rounder in 2018..

  • @mr.-make-believe said:

    They cut Kasey Redfern? wasn't he their punter in the Lee trade?

    Yep-the punter they brought in to compete was obviously better so we traded Lee for a 4th rounder in 2018..

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep-the punter they brought in to compete was obviously better so we traded Lee for a 4th rounder in 2018..

    Oh yeeeeah... The other guy. I forgot about the other guy.

  • I'd be interested to know how these cuts were determined. Like, how much did Sashi (Mr. Final Say) have to do with it? Did he basically just sign off on it? Or did he mandate, "You ain't cutting any of the draft picks".....or somewhere in between.

  • @mr.-make-believe said:

    They cut Kasey Redfern? wasn't he their punter in the Lee trade?

    Yep-the punter they brought in to compete was obviously better so we traded Lee for a 4th rounder in 2018..

    @texasag1969 said:

    Yep-the punter they brought in to compete was obviously better so we traded Lee for a 4th rounder in 2018..

    And then we released them both Palardy (the competition) and Redfern (part of the CAR trade) and signed Colquitt... a cap casualty with the Broncos.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Yep-the punter they brought in to compete was obviously better so we traded Lee for a 4th rounder in 2018..

    And then we released them both Palardy (the competition) and Redfern (part of the CAR trade) and signed Colquitt... a cap casualty with the Broncos.

    @tour2ma said:

    And then we released them both Palardy (the competition) and Redfern (part of the CAR trade) and signed Colquitt... a cap casualty with the Broncos.

    And they are going to discover that Mile high air is a lot thinner that Cleveland air so punting average will drop a little. But, very good punter nonetheless.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Cuts to 53: WR Taylor Gabriel, WR Marlon Moore, DL Kenton Adeyemi, DL Chigbo Anunoby, CB Pierre Desier, RB Jahwan Edwards, DB Mikell Everette, OL Dan France, DB Charles Gaines, OL Garth Gerhart, TE Connor Hamlett, TE J.P. Holtz, WR Darius Jennings, OL Kaleb Johnson, OL Mike Matthews, LB Jason Neill, DB Eric Patterson, P Kasey Redfern, LB Justin Tuggle

    Previously...

    Cuts to 75: QB Austin Davis, DL Nick Hayden, LB Paul Kruger, DB Sean Baker, TE E.J. Bibbs, WR Josh Boyce, K Travis Coons, WR Ed Eagan, FB Robert Hughes, TE David Reeves, OL Cory Tucker

    Any PS candidates here beside maybe C Mike Matthews? TE Hamlett or Holtz? maybe there is more to come? we get 10

    @gumby73 said:

    Any PS candidates here beside maybe C Mike Matthews? TE Hamlett or Holtz? maybe there is more to come? we get 10

    I am thinking Matthews and Hamlett for sure ... And I think that's about it.

    Zombo

  • @gumby73 said:

    Any PS candidates here beside maybe C Mike Matthews? TE Hamlett or Holtz? maybe there is more to come? we get 10

    I am thinking Matthews and Hamlett for sure ... And I think that's about it.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I am thinking Matthews and Hamlett for sure ... And I think that's about it.

    Zombo

    I think we still have 1 more punter we can deep 6 on the active roster for an intriguing Corner or Center that got cut this weekend. If John Sullivan became a salary cap cut as a guy who made Pro Bowls for Minnesota so they could make room for Bradford's salary requirement (unless they get a cap break for Teddy B's IR). Sullivan was expected to start again for a Minnesota team that made the playoffs last year. That would be proven reliability vrs hoping a Farmer first round pick cuts the mustard here.

  • Hey I kind of like Pierre Desir but those are the breaks I guess. Surprised by Coon dawn and didn't see the need to shit can Andy Lee but punter's aren't that hard to find I suppose even though we'll be needing one pretty badly.

    WSS

  • @gumby73 said:

    Any PS candidates here beside maybe C Mike Matthews? TE Hamlett or Holtz? maybe there is more to come? we get 10

    I am thinking Matthews and Hamlett for sure ... And I think that's about it.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I am thinking Matthews and Hamlett for sure ... And I think that's about it.

    France looks to be worth a slot. He showed well in an early preseason outing. A couple of the DBs will likely be PS'd, pending claims.

    Surprisingly Gerhart seems to still be PS eligible despite first appearing with us in 2012. Not endorsing him, but he seems to latch onto a team every other year: us in 2012 and Green Bay in 2014. So he is due to land somewhere in 2016.

    I wish there was a rhyme or reason, such as PS eligible, to the embedding of links in some names, but not all. Or some other (*) designation.

    @flugel said:

    I think we still have 1 more punter we can deep 6 on the active roster for an intriguing Corner or Center that got cut this weekend.

    Colquitt is the only "P" on the 53...

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart.html

  • Hey I kind of like Pierre Desir but those are the breaks I guess. Surprised by Coon dawn and didn't see the need to shit can Andy Lee but punter's aren't that hard to find I suppose even though we'll be needing one pretty badly.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Hey I kind of like Pierre Desir but those are the breaks I guess. Surprised by Coon dawn and didn't see the need to shit can Andy Lee but punter's aren't that hard to find I suppose even though we'll be needing one pretty badly.

    WSS

    Desir was just picked up by the chargers

  • http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/09/connor_hamlett_among_players_s.html

    George Atkinson and Corey Lemonier among 5 claimed by Browns, Connor Hamlett to practice squad

    CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns said they'd be active on the waiver wire, and they weren't kidding.

    They were awarded a league-high five players via waivers Sunday: running back George Atkinson, defensive back Briean Boddy-Calhoun, defensive back Marcus Burley, defensive end Tyrone Holmes, and linebacker Corey Lemonier.
    They also signed players to their 10-man practice squad, including tight end Connor Hamlett, who was waived by them Saturday. They have yet to announce their moves, but will do so this afternoon.
    To make room for the five waiver claims, the Browns had to let go of five players who made the initial 53-man roster. Among them was running back Raheem Mostert, who was waived to make room for Atkinson, a third-year back out of Notre Dame. Mostert's departure was announced by his agent Brett Tessler on Twitter.
    In addition, former Browns receiver Taylor Gabriel was awarded to the Falcons and former Browns defensive back Pierre Desir was awarded to the Chargers. Gabriel was waived by the Browns on Saturday in part so they could fit all four of their drafted rookie receivers on the roster. Gabriel started four games for the Browns last season, catching 28 passes for 241 yards, including a 56-yarder. Desir started six games for the Browns last season at left corner, but was switched to safety in camp.
    Here's a little bit about the five new players:
    * Atkinson (6-1, 220) is a third-year running back out of Notre Dame, who was cut by the Raiders. In preseason, he rushed 19 times for 191 yards, with three TDs. He also had six receptions for 60 yards, and one kickoff return for a TD.
    * Boddy-Calhoun (5-11, 194) was signed by the Jaguars this year as an undrafted rookie out of Minnesota. He didn't make much of an impact in camp, and was waived. He finished camp as the seventh cornerback. He had four INTs for Gophers last year and tore an ACL in 2013.
    * Burley (5-10, 185) is a fourth-year pro who was cut by they Seahawks. He played in 12 games last season, mostly as nickelback, and started one. He also missed four with a broken thumb. Originally signed by the Jaguars as an undrafted free agent out of Delaware, he was traded by the Colts to the Seahawks last year.
    * Holmes (6-4, 247) A sixth-round pick of the Jaguars out Montana, he did nothing in camp to flash his college edge-rush ability. He led FCS with 18 sacks last year and was FCS Defensive Player of the Year. He was a weak-side defensive end in Jaguars' scheme.
    * Lemonier (6-3, 255) was a third-round pick of the 49ers out of Auburn in 2013 who never lived up to his draft status there. He started only two of his 42 games, and mustered one sack. He also made 29 tackles.