Skip to content

Draft Talk

Locked The Browns Board
1.4k 63 38.7k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Or...is your pespective: "I am an Aggie guy, and I want the Aggie guy to go #1"?

    Don't get me wrong, he may be a great choice. And this defense needs a guy like that. But I think the team needs a franchise QB. This team needs a resurrection ....and only a QB, I believe can work that miracle.

    No honestly my perspective is that this defense can't get off the field because we have no pass rush. He is uniquely talented with a combination of speed, quickness, size and sure tackling. The less the D is out there, the more the O has shots to score and the less they have to overcome on the scoreboard. Simple math for me. Great D's create scoring opportunities. Ours could be if we could just pressure QBs into mistakes/sacks.

    PS-don't take my word for it. Just go check all the draft sites and see why they think he is the best player in the draft this year and why they think the Browns need him.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    No honestly my perspective is that this defense can't get off the field because we have no pass rush. He is uniquely talented with a combination of speed, quickness, size and sure tackling. The less the D is out there, the more the O has shots to score and the less they have to overcome on the scoreboard. Simple math for me. Great D's create scoring opportunities. Ours could be if we could just pressure QBs into mistakes/sacks.

    PS-don't take my word for it. Just go check all the draft sites and see why they think he is the best player in the draft this year and why they think the Browns need him.

    I know that most have him rated #1. And he would probably be a good choice. I just think that we have to finally resolve the QB crisis. This franchise needs a bell cow, and a LB would not be that cow.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why bother when they will take Trubisky #1?

    Because they won't?

    Show me the list of those who said last year, "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out!"

    I think it was TCPO or tia that first cautioned us to beware the fast rising QB in the draft, e.g., Tannehill, Bortles, Locker. They're sucked up by the QB void as much as they're rocketed by ability. Mitch looks primed to be the 2017 addition to the list.

    Contrast the risers with those that started at least their final year atop the heap and stuck there: Winston, Mariotta, Luck, even RG3, Newton...

    But just a cautionary note... as I said, I still have work to do.

    @wargograw said:

    Allen is way bigger than 265. Maybe 290.

    Easily... just have to look at him to see that his Wikipedia weight is off by a mile.

    And, yes, tia... meant Shelton at NT. And Bryant's torn pec is not the most career debilitating injury... I feel good about his return to form.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Because they won't?

    Show me the list of those who said last year, "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out!"

    Last year? What the fuck does last year have to do with anything? Carson Wentz was likely considered a UDFA the year before he came out.

    Right here, right now...it may in fact be the Cleveland Browns FO who is saying "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out".

    I think it was TCPO or tia that first cautioned us to beware the fast rising QB in the draft, e.g., Tannehill, Bortles, Locker. They're sucked up by the QB void as much as they're rocketed by ability. Mitch looks primed to be the 2017 addition to the list.

    I don't know if Trubisky is a "fast riser". He hadn't played before......the guys you mention below could be considered fast risers as well as before they got to play....before they got to be seen, they didn't get any run.

    Contrast the risers with those that started at least their final year atop the heap and stuck there: Winston, Mariotta, Luck, even RG3, Newton...

    But just a cautionary note... as I said, I still have work to do.

    So? You think the Browns need to be cautious. Well then why don't we just trade down again for a mid 1st round pick and get another Mingo or Erving? The Browns need to take a risk on a franchise QB. Plain and simple.

    Easily... just have to look at him to see that his Wikipedia weight is off by a mile.

    And, yes, tia... meant Shelton at NT. And Bryant's torn pec is not the most career debilitating injury... I feel good about his return to form.

  • This pretty much confirms what I thought about Pasztor.

    Gil Brandt tweeted. . .

    Most total pressures + sacks allowed (through Wk 11)

    Barksdale 34.5

    C.Clark 34.5

    Pasztor 33.5

    Castonzo 31

    Reiff 31

    Ogbuehi 30.5

    Free 30

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    This pretty much confirms what I thought about Pasztor.

    Gil Brandt tweeted. . .

    Most total pressures + sacks allowed (through Wk 11)

    Barksdale 34.5

    C.Clark 34.5

    Pasztor 33.5

    Castonzo 31

    Reiff 31

    Ogbuehi 30.5

    Free 30

    Does this mean that he thinks Paz sucks? What about his PFF score?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    No honestly my perspective is that this defense can't get off the field because we have no pass rush. He is uniquely talented with a combination of speed, quickness, size and sure tackling. The less the D is out there, the more the O has shots to score and the less they have to overcome on the scoreboard. Simple math for me. Great D's create scoring opportunities. Ours could be if we could just pressure QBs into mistakes/sacks.

    PS-don't take my word for it. Just go check all the draft sites and see why they think he is the best player in the draft this year and why they think the Browns need him.

    I know that most have him rated #1. And he would probably be a good choice. I just think that we have to finally resolve the QB crisis. This franchise needs a bell cow, and a LB would not be that cow.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    I know that most have him rated #1. And he would probably be a good choice. I just think that we have to finally resolve the QB crisis. This franchise needs a bell cow, and a LB would not be that cow.

    weren't you the one pushing so hard for Bosa last year, simply based upon his being ranked #1???......(yes).....

    Browns have to take the best players available with every pick.....not draft to fill positions.....we need everything......

    Take the surest shot....no matter what....(position)

  • @tour2ma said:

    Because they won't?

    Show me the list of those who said last year, "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out!"

    I think it was TCPO or tia that first cautioned us to beware the fast rising QB in the draft, e.g., Tannehill, Bortles, Locker. They're sucked up by the QB void as much as they're rocketed by ability. Mitch looks primed to be the 2017 addition to the list.

    Contrast the risers with those that started at least their final year atop the heap and stuck there: Winston, Mariotta, Luck, even RG3, Newton...

    But just a cautionary note... as I said, I still have work to do.

    Easily... just have to look at him to see that his Wikipedia weight is off by a mile.

    And, yes, tia... meant Shelton at NT. And Bryant's torn pec is not the most career debilitating injury... I feel good about his return to form.

    I'll even admit, I like some of what I see about Mitch. But there is so much more that can be revealed.

    One year starters are almost always a giant concern and require doing beyond your due diligence on them.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'll even admit, I like some of what I see about Mitch. But there is so much more that can be revealed.

    One year starters are almost always a giant concern and require doing beyond your due diligence on them.

    And what would be involved in "doing beyond your due diligence"? beyond passing on them altogether.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I agree as well. I like Mitch at this point more than I did a Wentz last year at the same point.

    The one year start doesn't bother me as much because I believe in mental acuity more than anything else...and that doesn't always come from experience. Some players just have it.

    Does Mitch? We'll see.

    General rule of thumb, I'm a fan of small(er) school QB's. They tend to not have elite talent around them so if they're good then you know how much of it is individual skill raising the game of players around them.

    I liked Wentz a little more because of his size and work under center.

    But we agree, more to be seen.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    General rule of thumb, I'm a fan of small(er) school QB's. They tend to not have elite talent around them so if they're good then you know how much of it is individual skill raising the game of players around them.

    I liked Wentz a little more because of his size and work under center.

    But we agree, more to be seen.

    Today at Noon, I believe he plays NC St. on TV. May have to tune in after I am done here.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I know that most have him rated #1. And he would probably be a good choice. I just think that we have to finally resolve the QB crisis. This franchise needs a bell cow, and a LB would not be that cow.

    weren't you the one pushing so hard for Bosa last year, simply based upon his being ranked #1???......(yes).....

    Browns have to take the best players available with every pick.....not draft to fill positions.....we need everything......

    Take the surest shot....no matter what....(position)

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    weren't you the one pushing so hard for Bosa last year, simply based upon his being ranked #1???......(yes).....

    Browns have to take the best players available with every pick.....not draft to fill positions.....we need everything......

    Take the surest shot....no matter what....(position)

    Exceptions abound (special teams etc), but yes, definitely. The question seems to be Garrett or Allen, and the answer seems to depend on schematic preference, and it seems for us that would be Allen at DE next to Shelton and Bryant/Ogbah/Nassib/Meder.

    That part seems if anything like the *easy* part. With those two guys it's difficult to get it very wrong. At #22 (because it will be 22, it just will, and we'll draft a bust) things get more complicated. Assuming a front seven cornerstone is drafted first, we probably don't dip back in to that well here, and to be honest our front seven would be relatively solid if we retain Collins. So then the question, what to do at 22? Safety, corner, OL (center especially) are all needs that we could argue are the biggest outside of QB, and it's rare to get *the* QB that low (as shown by your research).

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I'll even admit, I like some of what I see about Mitch. But there is so much more that can be revealed.

    One year starters are almost always a giant concern and require doing beyond your due diligence on them.

    And what would be involved in "doing beyond your due diligence"? beyond passing on them altogether.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @the-gipper said:

    And what would be involved in "doing beyond your due diligence"? beyond passing on them altogether.

    To me that would involve the ENTIRE front office, coaching staff, scouting department and ownership being sold on Mitch as 'our' guy. Combing over fine details that go beyond the football field itself. Film room, personal life, influences, hobbies, background, etc etc.

    I want a quality football player and a leader. No more undermining our FO and scouts from the ownership by thinking you're a football mind only to temporarily up season ticket sales at the expense of long term success.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    General rule of thumb, I'm a fan of small(er) school QB's. They tend to not have elite talent around them so if they're good then you know how much of it is individual skill raising the game of players around them.

    I liked Wentz a little more because of his size and work under center.

    But we agree, more to be seen.

    Today at Noon, I believe he plays NC St. on TV. May have to tune in after I am done here.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Today at Noon, I believe he plays NC St. on TV. May have to tune in after I am done here.

    Lost to NC St. 28-21.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Because they won't?

    Show me the list of those who said last year, "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out!"

    Last year? What the fuck does last year have to do with anything? Carson Wentz was likely considered a UDFA the year before he came out.

    Right here, right now...it may in fact be the Cleveland Browns FO who is saying "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out".

    I think it was TCPO or tia that first cautioned us to beware the fast rising QB in the draft, e.g., Tannehill, Bortles, Locker. They're sucked up by the QB void as much as they're rocketed by ability. Mitch looks primed to be the 2017 addition to the list.

    I don't know if Trubisky is a "fast riser". He hadn't played before......the guys you mention below could be considered fast risers as well as before they got to play....before they got to be seen, they didn't get any run.

    Contrast the risers with those that started at least their final year atop the heap and stuck there: Winston, Mariotta, Luck, even RG3, Newton...

    But just a cautionary note... as I said, I still have work to do.

    So? You think the Browns need to be cautious. Well then why don't we just trade down again for a mid 1st round pick and get another Mingo or Erving? The Browns need to take a risk on a franchise QB. Plain and simple.

    Easily... just have to look at him to see that his Wikipedia weight is off by a mile.

    And, yes, tia... meant Shelton at NT. And Bryant's torn pec is not the most career debilitating injury... I feel good about his return to form.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Last year? What the fuck does last year have to do with anything? Carson Wentz was likely considered a UDFA the year before he came out.

    Right here, right now...it may in fact be the Cleveland Browns FO who is saying "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out".

    I don't know if Trubisky is a "fast riser". He hadn't played before......the guys you mention below could be considered fast risers as well as before they got to play....before they got to be seen, they didn't get any run.

    Last years relevance? Thicker resume... you know... like Wentz had. So a one year starter is by definition a "fast riser".

    As for the rest... "likely", "may in fact"... Do you use a fucking magic 8-ball to help you post?

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    Carson Wentz was likely considered a UDFA the year before he came out.

    Hey look, it's our old friend "2 minutes on google" to the rescue!

    Can Carson Wentz become the draft's top QB prospect?

    ESPN's Kiper gives high praise for Wentz, ranks him No. 3 on his best senior quarterback prospects

    Gipper, you really not to stop guessing and making shit up to suit what you're trying to say that can easily be disproved. But I'm not holding my breath...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Last year? What the fuck does last year have to do with anything? Carson Wentz was likely considered a UDFA the year before he came out.

    Right here, right now...it may in fact be the Cleveland Browns FO who is saying "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out".

    I don't know if Trubisky is a "fast riser". He hadn't played before......the guys you mention below could be considered fast risers as well as before they got to play....before they got to be seen, they didn't get any run.

    Last years relevance? Thicker resume... you know... like Wentz had. So a one year starter is by definition a "fast riser".

    As for the rest... "likely", "may in fact"... Do you use a fucking magic 8-ball to help you post?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Do you use a fucking magic 8-ball to help you post?

    As I see it, yes.......without a doubt.....you may rely on it.....

  • @the-gipper said:

    And what would be involved in "doing beyond your due diligence"? beyond passing on them altogether.

    To me that would involve the ENTIRE front office, coaching staff, scouting department and ownership being sold on Mitch as 'our' guy. Combing over fine details that go beyond the football field itself. Film room, personal life, influences, hobbies, background, etc etc.

    I want a quality football player and a leader. No more undermining our FO and scouts from the ownership by thinking you're a football mind only to temporarily up season ticket sales at the expense of long term success.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    To me that would involve the ENTIRE front office, coaching staff, scouting department and ownership being sold on Mitch as 'our' guy. Combing over fine details that go beyond the football field itself. Film room, personal life, influences, hobbies, background, etc etc.

    I want a quality football player and a leader. No more undermining our FO and scouts from the ownership by thinking you're a football mind only to temporarily up season ticket sales at the expense of long term success.

    Well....I think EVERY team that finds itself with the overall #1 pick has to have everyone on board and sold. Sure.

    The thing is....with Trubisky....you might get all of that.....The quality football player, the leader....the guy with the good background etc, the guy with the potential for long term success.....AND you get the guys that fulfills the owner's desire to have a guy that would attract fans to see this team.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Last year? What the fuck does last year have to do with anything? Carson Wentz was likely considered a UDFA the year before he came out.

    Right here, right now...it may in fact be the Cleveland Browns FO who is saying "Can't wait for Trubisky to come out".

    I don't know if Trubisky is a "fast riser". He hadn't played before......the guys you mention below could be considered fast risers as well as before they got to play....before they got to be seen, they didn't get any run.

    Last years relevance? Thicker resume... you know... like Wentz had. So a one year starter is by definition a "fast riser".

    As for the rest... "likely", "may in fact"... Do you use a fucking magic 8-ball to help you post?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Last years relevance? Thicker resume... you know... like Wentz had. So a one year starter is by definition a "fast riser".

    As for the rest... "likely", "may in fact"... Do you use a fucking magic 8-ball to help you post?

    While I may use less football geek terminology as you....I do as much research as anyone on some of these topics.

    And I just made a link to where Wentz was not considered to be in the Top 25 QB prospects in the land.

    So...if you don't think that a guy that went from sub 25 prospect to #2 overall in the draft was not a fast riser, I guess anything short of a Saturn rocket does not fit that qualification for you.

  • Carson Wentz was likely considered a UDFA the year before he came out.

    Hey look, it's our old friend "2 minutes on google" to the rescue!

    Can Carson Wentz become the draft's top QB prospect?

    ESPN's Kiper gives high praise for Wentz, ranks him No. 3 on his best senior quarterback prospects

    Gipper, you really not to stop guessing and making shit up to suit what you're trying to say that can easily be disproved. But I'm not holding my breath...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    Hey look, it's our old friend "2 minutes on google" to the rescue!

    Yes....that is what smart people do...they look this stuff up. Sorry if the facts get in the way of your ignorant bliss.

    Can Carson Wentz become the draft's top QB prospect?

    ESPN's Kiper gives high praise for Wentz, ranks him No. 3 on his best senior quarterback prospects

    Gipper, you really not to stop guessing and making shit up to suit what you're trying to say that can easily be disproved. But I'm not holding my breath...

    So....as a lawyer, I know dueling experts when I see them.....Many articles did not have Wentz anywhere near the top of the QB class.

    (he still may not turn out to be all that good) You may have found the one or two that did.

    And listen you stupid little puke: I have been watching football....real football probably since before your mother was born.

    But, by all means, hold your breath It can't apparently do any worse brain damage to you than has already been done.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    What's incredible is that despite all that football watching you've learned so little.

  • What's incredible is that despite all that football watching you've learned so little.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    What's incredible is that despite all that football watching you've learned so little.

    Soooo, how's John boy doing now?

  • @wargograw said:

    What's incredible is that despite all that football watching you've learned so little.

    Soooo, how's John boy doing now?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Soooo, how's John boy doing now

    I went to a memorial service with one of my long time friends from my class at A&M who lives in Kerrville, a very small town where JM grew up and played. He indicates that his friends, who know JM better even better than his own parents, say he is back in Texas cleaning up his act and trying to get back into playing shape for next year. My friend indicated he thought a stint in Canadian football might be in the cards, but did not know whether JM was seriously considering that over another shot at the NFL. Either way I hope he is in recovery from a very serious problem.

  • What's incredible is that despite all that football watching you've learned so little.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    What's incredible is that despite all that football watching you've learned so little.

    And yet....the knowledge I have gained just in the last week is 10,000 times more than you know.

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Soooo, how's John boy doing now

    I went to a memorial service with one of my long time friends from my class at A&M who lives in Kerrville, a very small town where JM grew up and played. He indicates that his friends, who know JM better even better than his own parents, say he is back in Texas cleaning up his act and trying to get back into playing shape for next year. My friend indicated he thought a stint in Canadian football might be in the cards, but did not know whether JM was seriously considering that over another shot at the NFL. Either way I hope he is in recovery from a very serious problem.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    I went to a memorial service with one of my long time friends from my class at A&M who lives in Kerrville, a very small town where JM grew up and played. He indicates that his friends, who know JM better even better than his own parents, say he is back in Texas cleaning up his act and trying to get back into playing shape for next year. My friend indicated he thought a stint in Canadian football might be in the cards, but did not know whether JM was seriously considering that over another shot at the NFL. Either way I hope he is in recovery from a very serious problem.

    I have said Canada may be the right place for him....since seeing him play early on for the Browns and being of the belief that his football style fits up there much better. (His life style on the other hand fits a Jamaican Gigolo)