Skip to content

Draft Talk

Locked The Browns Board
1.4k 63 38.7k
  • With that said,

    I like the idea of Haden at safety to shore up our huge hole at free safety.

    @secondwave said:

    With that said,

    I like the idea of Haden at safety to shore up our huge hole at free safety.

    I used to think that was an option - but I'm not sure about that anymore.

  • I like Mahomes more than anyone else as well.

    @wargograw said:

    I like Mahomes more than anyone else as well.

    really intersting kid, but it's said he wouldn't be nfl-ready. Seems to rarely drop back and set

    his feet before throwing...to wide open wr's who apparently are outstanding. Very strong arm, looks

    like jm with his scrambling to find a wr to throw to...He is impressive...

    might very well stay in school. Maybe Trubiski stays in school... but I don't think so. But Trubisky

    is the real deal as his college experience can show it.

  • Mahomes is a very interesting QB prospect. just watched his game against Oklahoma and besides the obvious size, athleticism, and arm strength, he also displayed very good pocket awareness. Mahomes senses pressure really well which allows him to extend plays and allows his receivers to get downfield.

  • Trace Mcsorley is pretty damn money.

  • iggles lost to the Bengals today...improving our 2nd first round pick.

    The Bengals at 4-7-1 are currently drafting ahead of the iggles (5-7).

    Next week if the Skins can beat the iggles then that pick would improve yet again as they'll jump ahead of the Bengals (who play us).

    -------------

    The Bears crushed the 49'ers.

    Man, the 9'ers are bad.

  • iggles lost to the Bengals today...improving our 2nd first round pick.

    The Bengals at 4-7-1 are currently drafting ahead of the iggles (5-7).

    Next week if the Skins can beat the iggles then that pick would improve yet again as they'll jump ahead of the Bengals (who play us).

    -------------

    The Bears crushed the 49'ers.

    Man, the 9'ers are bad.

    @orion said:

    iggles lost to the Bengals today...improving our 2nd first round pick.

    The Bengals at 4-7-1 are currently drafting ahead of the iggles (5-7).

    Next week if the Skins can beat the iggles then that pick would improve yet again as they'll jump ahead of the Bengals (who play us).

    -------------

    The Bears crushed the 49'ers.

    Man, the 9'ers are bad.

    Really, really bad. I watched most of that game. Maybe even worse than the Browns. We're a bunch of missed FGs against the Dolphins of being tied with them.

  • Hasn't been against great teams, but quietly Barkley has now had two nice games in a row.

  • Assuming we DON'T trade back up for Mitch (after we take Garrett or Allen), I'm pretty sure we're taking Deshaun Watson. It's just how I feel this week, and it'll change every week until the draft, but Watson does a lot of things that Hue covets. He does NOT, however, read the field well, and that's scary. In fact, that could actually take him out of the running unless Hue feels it can be taught. Still, Watson can be electrifying, and his physical gifts are undeniable. I want Mitch, and I always will, but I can't see a team like ours using valuable draft picks to trade up in the first round. Would fans be happy with Garrett and Watson on day 1? Hard to say...but it would be fun.

  • I'd be fine with it. Not ecstatic like we'd drafted a slam dunk QB stud, but they don't come around very often, so it's unlikely we'll do so any time soon. I'd be a little surprised, as Hue seems to really like RG3 and he's literally only played one game (so far), and so I'd expect we'll roll into next year with him and Kessler backing up.

  • You mean Baker FS, Washington?

    @texasag1969 said:

    You mean Baker FS, Washington?

    Yes, right. Sorry.

  • Watch Mahomes a bit tonight.

    I have absolutely zero clue what some of you fuckers see when you watch tape.

  • A stud.

  • A stud.

    @wargograw said:

    A stud.

    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious?! I'm leaning towards the former.

  • I like him, but admittedly, I'm no QB evaluator. What do you see?

  • Pat Mahomes is similar in size to Mitch Trubisky, but he has a bigger arm.

    The biggest knock on Pat, is he's in a Kliff Kingsbury system (i.e. can he play under center?).

    I would be happy if the Browns draft either Mitch or Pat.

  • Watch Mahomes a bit tonight.

    I have absolutely zero clue what some of you fuckers see when you watch tape.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Watch Mahomes a bit tonight.

    I have absolutely zero clue what some of you fuckers see when you watch tape.

    I think they see nothing, because they don't watch tape.

    Mahomes is intriguing in that people see Russell Wilson potential in the way he plays, disregarding the fact that he plays in a spread system and has little experience under center. He's pretty hard to watch most of the time, he's just a guy out there slinging a ball backyard football style.

    A case can be made that he's essentially a blank canvas in that his mechanics really can't get worse, but he's no out of the box franchise guy. He's not on the level of Dak or Dalton, either. They had plenty of transferrable skills coming out of college. Mahomes' only transferrable skill is that he can sling the fuck out of the ball.

    With that said...in the fourth round? Absolutely. He's interesting.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Watch Mahomes a bit tonight.

    I have absolutely zero clue what some of you fuckers see when you watch tape.

    I think they see nothing, because they don't watch tape.

    Mahomes is intriguing in that people see Russell Wilson potential in the way he plays, disregarding the fact that he plays in a spread system and has little experience under center. He's pretty hard to watch most of the time, he's just a guy out there slinging a ball backyard football style.

    A case can be made that he's essentially a blank canvas in that his mechanics really can't get worse, but he's no out of the box franchise guy. He's not on the level of Dak or Dalton, either. They had plenty of transferrable skills coming out of college. Mahomes' only transferrable skill is that he can sling the fuck out of the ball.

    With that said...in the fourth round? Absolutely. He's interesting.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I think they see nothing, because they don't watch tape.

    Mahomes is intriguing in that people see Russell Wilson potential in the way he plays, disregarding the fact that he plays in a spread system and has little experience under center. He's pretty hard to watch most of the time, he's just a guy out there slinging a ball backyard football style.

    A case can be made that he's essentially a blank canvas in that his mechanics really can't get worse, but he's no out of the box franchise guy. He's not on the level of Dak or Dalton, either. They had plenty of transferrable skills coming out of college. Mahomes' only transferrable skill is that he can sling the fuck out of the ball.

    With that said...in the fourth round? Absolutely. He's interesting.

    Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?

    To quick point what I've seen

    -ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it

    -terrible footwork

    -drops his eyes to the dline consistently

    -no evidence of making progressions

    -accuracy is all over the place

    Late round to UDFA

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I think they see nothing, because they don't watch tape.

    Mahomes is intriguing in that people see Russell Wilson potential in the way he plays, disregarding the fact that he plays in a spread system and has little experience under center. He's pretty hard to watch most of the time, he's just a guy out there slinging a ball backyard football style.

    A case can be made that he's essentially a blank canvas in that his mechanics really can't get worse, but he's no out of the box franchise guy. He's not on the level of Dak or Dalton, either. They had plenty of transferrable skills coming out of college. Mahomes' only transferrable skill is that he can sling the fuck out of the ball.

    With that said...in the fourth round? Absolutely. He's interesting.

    Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?

    To quick point what I've seen

    -ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it

    -terrible footwork

    -drops his eyes to the dline consistently

    -no evidence of making progressions

    -accuracy is all over the place

    Late round to UDFA

    @tiamat63 said:

    Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?

    To quick point what I've seen

    -ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it

    -terrible footwork

    -drops his eyes to the dline consistently

    -no evidence of making progressions

    -accuracy is all over the place

    Late round to UDFA

    Points one and two are exactly what I mean by a blank canvas, he's no better than a high school QB out there and yet still is finding success. No doubt some people actually see that as a positive rather than a negative, given that we have a supposed QB whisperer coach.

    Point three, unless you have access to defensive all-22's that I don't have, you have no way of proving that other than maybe a lucky broadcast camera zoom in. \

    Point four, unless you have access to offensive all-22's that I don't have, same deal applies. He's not often standing in the pocket for extended periods of time, so you can't accurately say whether or not he's capable of going through progressions....though I doubt he's any good at it.

    Point five is directly related to points one and two.

    Playing in a different offensive scheme =! being a different football player. I'm not sure how you can say you've watched him play and not see how he's a Wilson scrambleclone. He's perpetually trying to create space between him and defensive players, even when he doesn't need to in some cases. Further, his scrambling is done to extend a passing play, rather than the traditional mobile QB scrambling and running for the sticks. He then proceeds to make a conventionally unsound throw - either across body, across field, or to a player who has broken from his route.

    Here's 11 instances of him doing that exact thing...in one game (not all are good plays, it's not a bunch of highlights):

    I don't think he's a great prospect by any means, but I've watched more than enough tape on him to come to the conclusion that he presents enough upside to easily warrant a mid-round pick. I don't believe he's comfortable throwing short passes - a majority of his accuracy issues present themselves on passes >5 yards, most of them on out breaking routes like zigs or backside drags where the receiver has crossed his face. That's where he seems to sidearm most of his passes as well.

    He plays the game like a baby born from a love orgy of Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson and Johnny Manziel - not quite in the best ways. He is a non-traditional passer with awful mechanics and bad footwork who holds the ball like a loaf of bread and delivers it from any position that he wants...sometimes even left handed. And despite all that, he's found rousing success this year. THAT'S what people are excited about when it comes to him.

    He won't last past the fourth round.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I think they see nothing, because they don't watch tape.

    Mahomes is intriguing in that people see Russell Wilson potential in the way he plays, disregarding the fact that he plays in a spread system and has little experience under center. He's pretty hard to watch most of the time, he's just a guy out there slinging a ball backyard football style.

    A case can be made that he's essentially a blank canvas in that his mechanics really can't get worse, but he's no out of the box franchise guy. He's not on the level of Dak or Dalton, either. They had plenty of transferrable skills coming out of college. Mahomes' only transferrable skill is that he can sling the fuck out of the ball.

    With that said...in the fourth round? Absolutely. He's interesting.

    Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?

    To quick point what I've seen

    -ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it

    -terrible footwork

    -drops his eyes to the dline consistently

    -no evidence of making progressions

    -accuracy is all over the place

    Late round to UDFA

    @tiamat63 said:

    Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?

    To quick point what I've seen

    -ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it

    -terrible footwork

    -drops his eyes to the dline consistently

    -no evidence of making progressions

    -accuracy is all over the place

    Late round to UDFA

    i think your being overly critical and suggest you watch more varied tapes. I'd say if he declares he will be in the top 15 QB selected

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?

    To quick point what I've seen

    -ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it

    -terrible footwork

    -drops his eyes to the dline consistently

    -no evidence of making progressions

    -accuracy is all over the place

    Late round to UDFA

    i think your being overly critical and suggest you watch more varied tapes. I'd say if he declares he will be in the top 15 QB selected

    @cainedesoulis said:

    i think your being overly critical and suggest you watch more varied tapes. I'd say if he declares he will be in the top 15 QB selected

    15 seemed like a lot of QBs for one draft so I checked... and it is...

    The last time 15 or more QBs were taken in a draft was 2004. Before that? 2002, 1992, 1987... as far as I went back.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

    Most years the list is so short that you don't even have to count them to know they've <15. And '93 and earlier had more than 7 rounds...