Draft Talk
-
Yep, I'm inclined to agree with that line of thinking. Jags will surely be after Garrett/Peppers/Allen (in that order, just a hunch - Peppers and Ramsay in the secondary could be awesome)
-
Yep, I'm inclined to agree with that line of thinking. Jags will surely be after Garrett/Peppers/Allen (in that order, just a hunch - Peppers and Ramsay in the secondary could be awesome)
-
If we went QB first I'd be looking for the best pass rusher available at #9. That would do more to help our DBs overall than any individual DB. Plus I think a very good CB will still be there at the top of round 2. Then get the center or a safety.
-
Omg, i forgot thats where ramsey went. Fuck that would be sick
Me, too... and yes, it could be...
-
Even the small move form 9th to 5th will likely cost us our second #2... factor that in folks.
I'd be tempted to go get Allen, but I'm pretty set on letting the draft come to us.
Then again I am more in the Camp Allen at #1...
-
Holy Roller Tide! Tour wears crimson in his closet! Who'da thunk it!

Have I mentioned I am color blind? Crimson... burgundy... no difference to me.
Scarlett on the other hand...
-
I'm about to start taking bets that Peppers will fall down a lot of draft boards.
-
I'm about to start taking bets that Peppers will fall down a lot of draft boards.
I also doubt that. The hype machine is real and the dynamic playmaking ability he presents is too much for a team to pass up. Whether he'll play to the level of a top 5 player is a different matter entirely.
-
Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?
To quick point what I've seen
-ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it
-terrible footwork
-drops his eyes to the dline consistently
-no evidence of making progressions
-accuracy is all over the place
Late round to UDFA
Points one and two are exactly what I mean by a blank canvas, he's no better than a high school QB out there and yet still is finding success. No doubt some people actually see that as a positive rather than a negative, given that we have a supposed QB whisperer coach.
Point three, unless you have access to defensive all-22's that I don't have, you have no way of proving that other than maybe a lucky broadcast camera zoom in. \
Point four, unless you have access to offensive all-22's that I don't have, same deal applies. He's not often standing in the pocket for extended periods of time, so you can't accurately say whether or not he's capable of going through progressions....though I doubt he's any good at it.
Point five is directly related to points one and two.
Playing in a different offensive scheme =! being a different football player. I'm not sure how you can say you've watched him play and not see how he's a Wilson scrambleclone. He's perpetually trying to create space between him and defensive players, even when he doesn't need to in some cases. Further, his scrambling is done to extend a passing play, rather than the traditional mobile QB scrambling and running for the sticks. He then proceeds to make a conventionally unsound throw - either across body, across field, or to a player who has broken from his route.
Here's 11 instances of him doing that exact thing...in one game (not all are good plays, it's not a bunch of highlights):
I don't think he's a great prospect by any means, but I've watched more than enough tape on him to come to the conclusion that he presents enough upside to easily warrant a mid-round pick. I don't believe he's comfortable throwing short passes - a majority of his accuracy issues present themselves on passes >5 yards, most of them on out breaking routes like zigs or backside drags where the receiver has crossed his face. That's where he seems to sidearm most of his passes as well.
He plays the game like a baby born from a love orgy of Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson and Johnny Manziel - not quite in the best ways. He is a non-traditional passer with awful mechanics and bad footwork who holds the ball like a loaf of bread and delivers it from any position that he wants...sometimes even left handed. And despite all that, he's found rousing success this year. THAT'S what people are excited about when it comes to him.
He won't last past the fourth round.
Points one and two are exactly what I mean by a blank canvas, he's no better than a high school QB out there and yet still is finding success. No doubt some people actually see that as a positive rather than a negative, given that we have a supposed QB whisperer coach. s. He's not often standing in the pocket for extended periods of time, so you can't accurately
He won't last past the fourth round.
At what point do you ask, "Why is he still an blank slate?"
Went ahead and watched the full game tape since all the links seemed to go to the same one. Have to say I'm not seeing what you are seeing. The only time I see a solid throw is when he is scrambling towards the LOS... then, and only then, did I see him get his body into his throws. Everything else screamed "self-preservation"... falling back... falling off... even when pressure was not immediate. And when it was immediate? Folding was redoubled. Nothing screamed "4th round" that I could see.
I'll concede your All-22 point.... and not just because I use it, too... but I saw no evidence of him coming off his primary except when he pulled the ball down and took off laterally.
And lineage-wise... I get "JFF II"... minus the frantic elusiveness.
OU was mid-season and not exactly a patsy... although 59 points in a loss may say different. I'll spend some time later on a couple late season games against non-ranked opposition. Probably Iowa St and Baylor unless you have a game you'd suggest.
-
Points one and two are exactly what I mean by a blank canvas, he's no better than a high school QB out there and yet still is finding success. No doubt some people actually see that as a positive rather than a negative, given that we have a supposed QB whisperer coach. s. He's not often standing in the pocket for extended periods of time, so you can't accurately
He won't last past the fourth round.
At what point do you ask, "Why is he still an blank slate?"
Went ahead and watched the full game tape since all the links seemed to go to the same one. Have to say I'm not seeing what you are seeing. The only time I see a solid throw is when he is scrambling towards the LOS... then, and only then, did I see him get his body into his throws. Everything else screamed "self-preservation"... falling back... falling off... even when pressure was not immediate. And when it was immediate? Folding was redoubled. Nothing screamed "4th round" that I could see.
I'll concede your All-22 point.... and not just because I use it, too... but I saw no evidence of him coming off his primary except when he pulled the ball down and took off laterally.
And lineage-wise... I get "JFF II"... minus the frantic elusiveness.
OU was mid-season and not exactly a patsy... although 59 points in a loss may say different. I'll spend some time later on a couple late season games against non-ranked opposition. Probably Iowa St and Baylor unless you have a game you'd suggest.
At what point do you ask, "Why is he still an blank slate?"
Went ahead and watched the full game tape since all the links seemed to go to the same one. Have to say I'm not seeing what you are seeing. The only time I see a solid throw is when he is scrambling towards the LOS... then, and only then, did I see him get his body into his throws. Everything else screamed "self-preservation"... falling back... falling off... even when pressure was not immediate. And when it was immediate? Folding was redoubled. Nothing screamed "4th round" that I could see.
I'll concede your All-22 point.... and not just because I use it, too... but I saw no evidence of him coming off his primary except when he pulled the ball down and took off laterally.
And lineage-wise... I get "JFF II"... minus the frantic elusiveness.
OU was mid-season and not exactly a patsy... although 59 points in a loss may say different. I'll spend some time later on a couple late season games against non-ranked opposition. Probably Iowa St and Baylor unless you have a game you'd suggest.
I'm not seeing anything I like either. At no point did I say I like Mahomes, I'm just saying I can see why he's getting all of this hype. It's the same reason Manziel got the hype he got. It's because Russell Wilson's rookie season made it cool again to be a frantic scrambler.
Those links are all examples in one game of Mahomes running around and making an ill-advised throw to further support the Wilson premise.
-
You're confusing Johnnys mobility and runs with Wilsons.
Russ is a mobile passer. Johnny was a runner that throws.
-
I know it's early but this mock I just did was amazing. If it looks like this, they're doing it right!

Your score is: 10335 (GRADE: A)
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 1: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (A)
Round 1 Pick 11: Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama (A)
Round 1 Pick 23 (PITT): Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU (A+)
Round 2 Pick 14: Ethan Pocic, C/OG, LSU (A)
Round 4 Pick 20 (MINN): Brandon Facyson, CB, Virginia Tech (A)
Round 4 Pick 25 (DET): Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas (A)
Round 4 Pick 27 (DEN): Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 25 (DET): Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)
Your Future Picks:
2018 Round 1 Pick
2019 Round 1 Pick
-
I'm about to start taking bets that Peppers will fall down a lot of draft boards.
I also doubt that. The hype machine is real and the dynamic playmaking ability he presents is too much for a team to pass up. Whether he'll play to the level of a top 5 player is a different matter entirely.
I also doubt that. The hype machine is real and the dynamic playmaking ability he presents is too much for a team to pass up. Whether he'll play to the level of a top 5 player is a different matter entirely.
Hype is dying.... and what 'playmaking' are we talking about here? On punt returns or the occasion gadget play on offense?
-
I also doubt that. The hype machine is real and the dynamic playmaking ability he presents is too much for a team to pass up. Whether he'll play to the level of a top 5 player is a different matter entirely.
Hype is dying.... and what 'playmaking' are we talking about here? On punt returns or the occasion gadget play on offense?
Hype is dying.... and what 'playmaking' are we talking about here? On punt returns or the occasion gadget play on offense?
That's exactly it. You can be as cynical as you want about players you don't like, it doesn't change the fact that they'll be taken much earlier than you anticipate.
-
Hype is dying.... and what 'playmaking' are we talking about here? On punt returns or the occasion gadget play on offense?
That's exactly it. You can be as cynical as you want about players you don't like, it doesn't change the fact that they'll be taken much earlier than you anticipate.
That's exactly it. You can be as cynical as you want about players you don't like, it doesn't change the fact that they'll be taken much earlier than you anticipate.
I prefer to call it realistic. Had the same conversation with a friend of mine who was all about Tebow Mania. I said he wouldn't go top 15 but SOMEBODY would be dumb enough to take him 1st round.
I wasn't wrong.
I have no doubt somebody will be stupid enough to take Peppers in the 1st. I'll laugh when the do and I'll laugh even harder 3 years later.
edit: Point being, he was touted as a top 5 pick... I promise that talk is going the way of the dodo bird the day after bowl season.
-
At what point do you ask, "Why is he still an blank slate?"
Went ahead and watched the full game tape since all the links seemed to go to the same one. Have to say I'm not seeing what you are seeing. The only time I see a solid throw is when he is scrambling towards the LOS... then, and only then, did I see him get his body into his throws. Everything else screamed "self-preservation"... falling back... falling off... even when pressure was not immediate. And when it was immediate? Folding was redoubled. Nothing screamed "4th round" that I could see.
I'll concede your All-22 point.... and not just because I use it, too... but I saw no evidence of him coming off his primary except when he pulled the ball down and took off laterally.
And lineage-wise... I get "JFF II"... minus the frantic elusiveness.
OU was mid-season and not exactly a patsy... although 59 points in a loss may say different. I'll spend some time later on a couple late season games against non-ranked opposition. Probably Iowa St and Baylor unless you have a game you'd suggest.
I'm not seeing anything I like either. At no point did I say I like Mahomes, I'm just saying I can see why he's getting all of this hype. It's the same reason Manziel got the hype he got. It's because Russell Wilson's rookie season made it cool again to be a frantic scrambler.
Those links are all examples in one game of Mahomes running around and making an ill-advised throw to further support the Wilson premise.
I'm not seeing anything I like either. At no point did I say I like Mahomes, I'm just saying I can see why he's getting all of this hype. It's the same reason Manziel got the hype he got. It's because Russell Wilson's rookie season made it cool again to be a frantic scrambler.
Those links are all examples in one game of Mahomes running around and making an ill-advised throw to further support the Wilson premise.
Got it... I was taking your posts as a defense of an endorsement.
At least i no longer need to fell obligated to watch more tape on him...

BTW... I watched Chad Kelly's game vs. FSU this year. I was in love after his first drive. By the end of the game? Not so much... But there is (or maybe "was") a lot to like in the kid.
-
I think there might be potential in Kelly, especially since he will be an undervalued commodity come draft time due to his injury, but I'm assuming his off the field nonsense will make him undraftable for us due to the JM effect.
I legitimately can't decide if our FO would take a flier on him in the 7th or not.
-
-
"McShay: I'll say this: It's not a great year to be drafting early and needing a quarterback."
"5. If you had to put your money behind one guy from this class to be the NFL's next great pass-rusher, who would it be?
Kiper: There's no question it's Texas A&M's Myles Garrett, who is No. 1 on my Big Board. He has everything teams want in a premier edge rusher. At 6-foot-5, 265 pounds, he's going to be a star. Others to keep an eye on: Alabama's Tim Williams and UCLA's Takkarist McKinley. All could go in the top 10.
6. What should the Browns do with the first pick: best player or best QB?
Kiper: The Browns have too many needs. It has to be the best player, and as I mentioned above, there's no surefire top quarterback in this class. Cleveland needs everything. No way should the Browns reach for a quarterback in this draft."
I don't always agree with Kiper, but in this instance he is right. If we reach for another name for the cross-out T-shirt, then we have a ship of fools running and ruining this program.
-
Didn't he say about the same thing regarding Clowney a couple of years ago? That's why I wish we could have someone besides JimmyDee as the final say on talent.
I hear Ship of Fools quite often and each time, I can't help but think of our FO.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login