Skip to content

Draft Talk

Locked The Browns Board
1.4k 63 38.7k
  • I also worry about Garrett retiring in 4 years to become an author or something. Fortunately, the really big hits don't happen on the line usually so he won't be encouraged by concussion issues.

  • I also worry about Garrett retiring in 4 years to become an author or something. Fortunately, the really big hits don't happen on the line usually so he won't be encouraged by concussion issues.

    @wargograw said:

    I also worry about Garrett retiring in 4 years to become an author or something. Fortunately, the really big hits don't happen on the line usually so he won't be encouraged by concussion issues.

    Maybe not retiring, but you could see him wanting to go to san fransisco or NY or somewhere like that.

  • I could also definitely get behind the 'bama first round of Allen and Williams.

  • Here is the key question for the Browns when considering the Garrett pick: Will they form the defense around the talent or will they try to form the talent around the defense? He is a very versatile player in that often times this season they would send him to various other positions along the LOS and occasionally even do a stand up and drop back into coverage. I think he has the talent to make another true Von Miller out of him as a OLB in the 3-4 if they decide to stick with that D. He has the speed, moves and "bendability" around OT's to pull that off after a learning curve which I think can be relatively short. I think of him as a Miller-Ware combo guy if he comes off the R side of the D.

    As to Tim Williams I could see him as our 2nd 1st rounder if we go with the QB at #1. I think he is the second best pass rusher in this draft, and not too much a drop off from Garrett other than size.

    As to Allen I could see us going with him at #1 and Williams #2 if we are intent on a 3-4 90% of the time and realize there is not a QB worth it at #1. It's worked quite well for Bama. I could live with that.

    Edit: chris you took the words right out of my fingers while typing. 😆

  • Yeah of course, if they decide a QB is worth it then he's worth it at #1 and that's that. Then a Tim Williams makes a whole lot of sense. If not, getting Allen and Williams would give us a potentially nasty front seven if we keep collins, the weak point of which would be Demario Davis, who isn't exactly a slouch.

  • Or what about a Garrett-Williams 1 2 punch? Wow then who do you double team? It would be like Ware-Miller at Denver.

  • If we're keeping Collins we are set at one OLB position, and I think we need a bit more disruption on the DL but I'm not gonna cry if we get those two!

  • @the-gipper said:

    I don't know....neither do you. It is all speculation. I know that I think the Browns think they need a QB.

    Or, do you really think that they are going to ensure the future of this team to RG or Kessler. If they do, then, yes, they must be dismissed.

    Then why all the certitude in your posts?

    And BTW... I've never said what I'd do this year let alone pretended I know what our FO will do.

    @tour2ma said:

    Then why all the certitude in your posts?

    And BTW... I've never said what I'd do this year let alone pretended I know what our FO will do.

    I am certain that the Browns will be in the market for a QB. Aren't you? My preference is that QB be Trubisky. Be that as it may.

    I am certain that Trubisky will NOT be available if the Browns try to wait until their second pick of the draft.....whatever that is. (absent a trade up by them to #2).

    If you don't think that is the case, then look no further than last year when guys that were originally thought to perhap be late first round picks ended up going 1, 2.

    The need for a good QB does not go away in the NFL. If the Browns don't get him, then 2-3 teams that draft in the Top 5 behind them will be in the market for him.

    That I can say with certitude.

  • @wargograw said:

    I also worry about Garrett retiring in 4 years to become an author or something. Fortunately, the really big hits don't happen on the line usually so he won't be encouraged by concussion issues.

    Maybe not retiring, but you could see him wanting to go to san fransisco or NY or somewhere like that.

    @gftchris said:

    Maybe not retiring, but you could see him wanting to go to san fransisco or NY or somewhere like that.

    Not sure if you're calling him gay or a partier, but he's neither.

  • Yeah of course, if they decide a QB is worth it then he's worth it at #1 and that's that. Then a Tim Williams makes a whole lot of sense. If not, getting Allen and Williams would give us a potentially nasty front seven if we keep collins, the weak point of which would be Demario Davis, who isn't exactly a slouch.

    @gftchris said:

    Yeah of course, if they decide a QB is worth it then he's worth it at #1 and that's that. Then a Tim Williams makes a whole lot of sense. If not, getting Allen and Williams would give us a potentially nasty front seven if we keep collins, the weak point of which would be Demario Davis, who isn't exactly a slouch.

    SCOOOOOOBY!

  • @gftchris said:

    Maybe not retiring, but you could see him wanting to go to san fransisco or NY or somewhere like that.

    Not sure if you're calling him gay or a partier, but he's neither.

    @wargograw said:

    Not sure if you're calling him gay or a partier, but he's neither.

    Easy buddy, neither. I'm saying he seems by all accounts to have an artistic soul, one that might feel somehwat shackled in the blue collar, rust belt settings of cleveland but would be freed in somewhere like those places.

  • @wargograw said:

    Not sure if you're calling him gay or a partier, but he's neither.

    Easy buddy, neither. I'm saying he seems by all accounts to have an artistic soul, one that might feel somehwat shackled in the blue collar, rust belt settings of cleveland but would be freed in somewhere like those places.

    @gftchris said:

    Easy buddy, neither. I'm saying he seems by all accounts to have an artistic soul, one that might feel somehwat shackled in the blue collar, rust belt settings of cleveland but would be freed in somewhere like those places.

    He'll be writing a children's guide to dinosaurs in his spare time.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Nice takes...

    My only Garrett issue remains scheme fit. We know we want to be a 3-4 and I worry about standing Garrett up. And I fear the pounding he'd take as an undersized 3-4 DE would take its toll.

    Truthfully I hadn't thought much about Williams even tho I've been consistently impressed by him in a few BAMA games this season.

    Allen - Shelton - Bryant

    Williams - Kirksey - Davis - Collins

    I think I could like that a lot...

    I think that's the value move here. Let's see how Williams' coverage and run D skills are when good tape comes out.

    And just want to say before someone looks in depth and it turns out I am wrong on any of this, these takes come from buzzed fall Saturday's on my couch flipping through CFB games, reading PFF's upgraded college section the last two years, and (re)watching alot of A&M games where I usually focus on the OL.

    I believe Williams generated double digit sacks on just a hair over 100 snaps last year. Something ridiculous like that.

    Report of last year:

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-alabamas-crimson-tide-part-time-pass-rushers-ready-for-full-time-tim-williams-ryan-anderson/

    11 sacks, 8 hits, 33 hurries. 52 total pressures on 148 pass rush snaps last year. That's a pressure every 2.7 pass rush attempts. Bosa last year? 4.9. As of 3 weeks ago, Williams had played 127 run plays over the last three seasons.

    @wargograw said:

    And just want to say before someone looks in depth and it turns out I am wrong on any of this, these takes come from buzzed fall Saturday's on my couch flipping through CFB games, reading PFF's upgraded college section the last two years, and (re)watching alot of A&M games where I usually focus on the OL.

    lmao... still puts you near the top of the class around here...

  • Here is the key question for the Browns when considering the Garrett pick: Will they form the defense around the talent or will they try to form the talent around the defense? He is a very versatile player in that often times this season they would send him to various other positions along the LOS and occasionally even do a stand up and drop back into coverage. I think he has the talent to make another true Von Miller out of him as a OLB in the 3-4 if they decide to stick with that D. He has the speed, moves and "bendability" around OT's to pull that off after a learning curve which I think can be relatively short. I think of him as a Miller-Ware combo guy if he comes off the R side of the D.

    As to Tim Williams I could see him as our 2nd 1st rounder if we go with the QB at #1. I think he is the second best pass rusher in this draft, and not too much a drop off from Garrett other than size.

    As to Allen I could see us going with him at #1 and Williams #2 if we are intent on a 3-4 90% of the time and realize there is not a QB worth it at #1. It's worked quite well for Bama. I could live with that.

    Edit: chris you took the words right out of my fingers while typing. 😆

    @texasag1969 said:

    Here is the key question for the Browns when considering the Garrett pick: Will they form the defense around the talent or will they try to form the talent around the defense? He is a very versatile player in that often times this season they would send him to various other positions along the LOS and occasionally even do a stand up and drop back into coverage. I think he has the talent to make another true Von Miller out of him as a OLB in the 3-4 if they decide to stick with that D. He has the speed, moves and "bendability" around OT's to pull that off after a learning curve which I think can be relatively short. I think of him as a Miller-Ware combo guy if he comes off the R side of the D.

    And therein lies the rub... we know Horton leans towards the 3-4, but is not adverse to the 4-3, which he shifted towards as our 2016 DL "talent" became apparent.

    Were Pet still here, then Garrett as a clear upgrade in the Kruger-role would seem a slam dunk... even tho Pet would probably use him wrong by dropping him into coverage 20 times a year... 😛

    Then again... who knows? Maybe we'll pluck a Fickle from THE mid-state team and go 4-3 for real.

    @gftchris said:

    If we're keeping Collins we are set at one OLB position, and I think we need a bit more disruption on the DL but I'm not gonna cry if we get those two!

    And therein lies another rub... the Draft precedes the key UFA activity with the exception of "tagging" which is in mid-Feb.

    @gftchris said:

    Easy buddy, neither. I'm saying he seems by all accounts to have an artistic soul, one that might feel somehwat shackled in the blue collar, rust belt settings of cleveland but would be freed in somewhere like those places.

    Then again Troy P's soul was nourished in Pittsburgh... 😳

    Garrett can always get a place close to University Circle... maybe on Coventry Rd. Plus he's coming from College Station, TX... not exactly the Fine arts capitol of the world... or even Texas...

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Here is the key question for the Browns when considering the Garrett pick: Will they form the defense around the talent or will they try to form the talent around the defense? He is a very versatile player in that often times this season they would send him to various other positions along the LOS and occasionally even do a stand up and drop back into coverage. I think he has the talent to make another true Von Miller out of him as a OLB in the 3-4 if they decide to stick with that D. He has the speed, moves and "bendability" around OT's to pull that off after a learning curve which I think can be relatively short. I think of him as a Miller-Ware combo guy if he comes off the R side of the D.

    And therein lies the rub... we know Horton leans towards the 3-4, but is not adverse to the 4-3, which he shifted towards as our 2016 DL "talent" became apparent.

    Were Pet still here, then Garrett as a clear upgrade in the Kruger-role would seem a slam dunk... even tho Pet would probably use him wrong by dropping him into coverage 20 times a year... 😛

    Then again... who knows? Maybe we'll pluck a Fickle from THE mid-state team and go 4-3 for real.

    @gftchris said:

    If we're keeping Collins we are set at one OLB position, and I think we need a bit more disruption on the DL but I'm not gonna cry if we get those two!

    And therein lies another rub... the Draft precedes the key UFA activity with the exception of "tagging" which is in mid-Feb.

    @gftchris said:

    Easy buddy, neither. I'm saying he seems by all accounts to have an artistic soul, one that might feel somehwat shackled in the blue collar, rust belt settings of cleveland but would be freed in somewhere like those places.

    Then again Troy P's soul was nourished in Pittsburgh... 😳

    Garrett can always get a place close to University Circle... maybe on Coventry Rd. Plus he's coming from College Station, TX... not exactly the Fine arts capitol of the world... or even Texas...

    @tour2ma said:

    Garrett can always get a place close to University Circle... maybe on Coventry Rd. Plus he's coming from College Station, TX... not exactly the Fine arts capitol of the world... or even Texas...

    What? You never heard of Snook? They used to play a mean washtub there in the local beer joint. 😛

  • Beer joint??? Do you mean "The Bird?"

  • There are some nice players in this haul. I bolded the ones that stand out for me. I've just started looking into some of these players... this seems like the earliest I've ever started actually researching players. Usually. It's going to be a long off-season.

    Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 21 (BALT): Ethan Pocic, C/OG, LSU
    Round 1 Pick 23 (PITT): Desmond King, CB, Iowa
    Round 2 Pick 1: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
    Round 2 Pick 8 (CINN): Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State
    Round 2 Pick 13 (BUF): Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M
    Round 2 Pick 14: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
    Round 2 Pick 18 (G.B.): Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
    Round 2 Pick 21 (BALT): DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
    Round 2 Pick 23 (PITT): Marcus Maye, FS, Florida
    Round 3 Pick 1: Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia
    Round 3 Pick 13 (BUF): Dion Dawkins, OT, Temple
    Round 3 Pick 18 (G.B.): Kevin King, CB, Washington
    Round 3 Pick 23 (PITT): Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn
    Round 4 Pick 1: Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State
    Round 5 Pick 30: Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State (A)
    Round 6 Pick 1: Riley Bullough, ILB, Michigan State (B-)

    Your Future Picks:
    2018 Round 1 Pick
    2019 Round 1 Pick

  • Beer joint??? Do you mean "The Bird?"

    @tour2ma said:

    Beer joint??? Do you mean "The Bird?"

    They got a name on it now? Back in the day it was just a place we could go where they never asked for an ID and as long as you didn't cause any trouble the county sheriff might have one with you. We just called it that beer joint over in Snook.

  • There are some nice players in this haul. I bolded the ones that stand out for me. I've just started looking into some of these players... this seems like the earliest I've ever started actually researching players. Usually. It's going to be a long off-season.

    Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 21 (BALT): Ethan Pocic, C/OG, LSU
    Round 1 Pick 23 (PITT): Desmond King, CB, Iowa
    Round 2 Pick 1: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
    Round 2 Pick 8 (CINN): Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State
    Round 2 Pick 13 (BUF): Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M
    Round 2 Pick 14: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
    Round 2 Pick 18 (G.B.): Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
    Round 2 Pick 21 (BALT): DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
    Round 2 Pick 23 (PITT): Marcus Maye, FS, Florida
    Round 3 Pick 1: Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia
    Round 3 Pick 13 (BUF): Dion Dawkins, OT, Temple
    Round 3 Pick 18 (G.B.): Kevin King, CB, Washington
    Round 3 Pick 23 (PITT): Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn
    Round 4 Pick 1: Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State
    Round 5 Pick 30: Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State (A)
    Round 6 Pick 1: Riley Bullough, ILB, Michigan State (B-)

    Your Future Picks:
    2018 Round 1 Pick
    2019 Round 1 Pick

    @poeticg said:

    ... this seems like the earliest I've ever started actually researching players. Usually. It's going to be a long off-season.

    Well, by the time you're 0-9 let alone 0-16 it is the off-season.

    Unrealistic, but really solid draft effort there... really foundational stuff... and a pair of Kings might take down the pot.

    @texasag1969 said:

    They got a name on it now? Back in the day it was just a place we could go where they never asked for an ID and as long as you didn't cause any trouble the county sheriff might have one with you. We just called it that beer joint over in Snook.

    "The Bird" was the nickname in the 90's for the bar right on University in College Station. Actual name was "The Dixie Chicken". It was the official, ring-dunking establishment of the Corps.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55649-d512297-r123675277-Dixie_Chicken-College_Station_Texas.html

  • I know, it seems unrealistic, but realistically; if we own say, the number one overall selection and let's give the eagles a... #7 selection, we could trade down multiple times with both picks! I don't think that's ever been done before. We can't win a game but can kill the shit out a draft. 🙂