Skip to content

Mel Kiper on Brett Ratliff

The Browns Board
19 9 2.3k
  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Who's saying that Ratliff's going to come in and start? I don't think I've seen that here.

    And it was two years ago that Ratliff looked lost. He was phenomenal during last year's preseason. Before the Favre trade, Ratliff was said to be the most impressive QB in Jets camp (over Clemens and Chad Pennington). And he looked great during the exhibition games, including against us.

    He's an intriguing upside guy, not just a Ken Dorsey type.

  • Who's saying that Ratliff's going to come in and start? I don't think I've seen that here.

    And it was two years ago that Ratliff looked lost. He was phenomenal during last year's preseason. Before the Favre trade, Ratliff was said to be the most impressive QB in Jets camp (over Clemens and Chad Pennington). And he looked great during the exhibition games, including against us.

    He's an intriguing upside guy, not just a Ken Dorsey type.

    ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Aloysius said:

    Who's saying that Ratliff's going to come in and start? I don't think I've seen that here.

    And it was two years ago that Ratliff looked lost. He was phenomenal during last year's preseason. Before the Favre trade, Ratliff was said to be the most impressive QB in Jets camp (over Clemens and Chad Pennington). And he looked great during the exhibition games, including against us.

    He's an intriguing upside guy, not just a Ken Dorsey type.

    If I cared enough to search I would find it, but I've seen it twice already.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree. he has some talent and you never know, he may be our QB of the future.

    Only time will tell.

    One thing is for sure.....Mangini likes him, which is something we might not be able to say for any of the other QBs currently on the roster.

    Thats great Ballpean- lets have another imaginary QB debate

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @hammertime said:

    Thats great Ballpean- lets have another imaginary QB debate

    What....during the draft I heard some of the ESPN announcers say that.

    We do know he like Ratliff...

    I wasn't trying to stir anything....

    Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming. 😉

  • G Greythan wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Speculation that Ratliff is a serious thought as a starter is just flat out silly.

    Could it happen? Sure. Actually discussing it as any type of probability is nuts.

    First, the Jets let him go as part of a deal to trade up for Sanchez.

    Second, he started a year and 2 games for Utah after transferring. Nice stats, but not the near 65% completion ratio / 30 career D1 starts you want.

    Third, haven't we already tried this with another QB cast away from another team? 😉

  • I thought he was a #3 QB? 😉

    Been high on Ratliff ever since I saw him absolutely destroy Georgia Tech in a bowl game. Really glad that he was part of the deal.

    P pl4tinum wrote on last edited by pl4tinum
    #14

    Aloysius said:

    I thought he was a #3 QB? 😉

    Been high on Ratliff ever since I saw him absolutely destroy Georgia Tech in a bowl game. Really glad that he was part of the deal.

    I can't remember when it was, but I saw him play an NFL pre-season game or replacing Clemens in one game 2 years back, can't remember which...

    he looked AWESOME, it's the only reason I knew who he was when this trade happened, because of his performance in that game I saw... I'm kinda excited to have him on our team... even if he never plays...

  • Speculation that Ratliff is a serious thought as a starter is just flat out silly.

    Could it happen? Sure. Actually discussing it as any type of probability is nuts.

    First, the Jets let him go as part of a deal to trade up for Sanchez.

    Second, he started a year and 2 games for Utah after transferring. Nice stats, but not the near 65% completion ratio / 30 career D1 starts you want.

    Third, haven't we already tried this with another QB cast away from another team? 😉

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @greythan said:

    Speculation that Ratliff is a serious thought as a starter is just flat out silly.

    Could it happen? Sure. Actually discussing it as any type of probability is nuts.

    First, the Jets let him go as part of a deal to trade up for Sanchez.

    Second, he started a year and 2 games for Utah after transferring. Nice stats, but not the near 65% completion ratio / 30 career D1 starts you want.

    Third, haven't we already tried this with another QB cast away from another team? 😉

    All reasons that Ratliff is more of a project at this point, and reasons why I speculated he may end up competing for the starting job next year or later if DA and/or BQ falter. We might give him a chance to compete before going to the draft or FA for a new QB. It's good to have that in-house fallback option.

    Also, I don't think it should be overlooked that Mangini emphasized how well Ratliff's developed under then-QB coach Brian Daboll. There's got to be a nice bond there that'll be a good thing if Ratliff's our long-term backup and even better if he somehow becomes our starting QB.

    Just really like that he was a part of the deal.

  • T Timugen wrote on last edited by Timugen
    #16

    @shepwrite said:

    Totally agree, Alo. He keeps the door open to moving DA, too, if the right deal comes around.

    Sorry shep, but McDonald's stopped super-sizing their value meals a few years ago so it's silly to hold out for that. We're just gonna have to settle for the large fries and coke. We might be able to get a hot fudge sundae from the dollar menu to sweeten the deal though.

  • Dan in FloridaD Dan in Florida wrote on last edited by
    #17

    e031hs.jpg

    Mel Kiper ON Brett Ratliff

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Per the OBR, the Jets were reluctant to part ways with Ratliff, but the Browns insisted the young QB be part of the deal.

    It sounds like Mangini is high enough on Ratliff to have him be our #2 QB, should Derek Anderson one of our QB's get traded. And if the two guys currently at the top of the depth chart blow chunks this year, Ratliff could get a chance to start in 2010.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #19

    safe to then say he's a step up from dorsey? 😳