Skip to content

My thought on the draft

The Browns Board
47 22 3.6k
  • I wouldn't say centers can't bust, but it isn't very likely.

    At worst they end up serviceable players....much like LT prospects.

    If they wash at LT, they can play RT...if not, they can play guard..

    Centers call the line blocks, and really can impact both sides of the running game.

  • Great thread. Heck- it's a shame you couldn't have added Rockwell's tune to accompany that photo. Well done.

    I really liked our picks yesterday. Mack, imo, is the best center in about 3 drafts, and I truly believe we've got another Joe Thomas, for a 1/5 of the price.

    For the WR's I think we got two great guys. I would have personally rather seen Nicks / Mass. but Robieski will make a better #1. I hate to see him go, but I think Braylon could be gone after this season. He'll be an idiot & let the fact that drafted a WR from tOSU get to his head and we'll get BE version 2k8 again. Which sucks, because I think he can be premier.

    This was my 1st draft with tivo/dvr (whichever one I have-who cares) and it was glorious. Certainly saved me from aging 15 years through the 3 trade downs. And a lot better when I realized that we were going for Mack and trying to keep our checkbook from bursting into flames.

    Also, what does this Day 1 say about Mangini's thoughts on Wimbley & Hall (behind a healthy Williams & Smith x2 )? Good things, I think. Veikune will compete also.

  • I wouldn't say centers can't bust, but it isn't very likely.

    At worst they end up serviceable players....much like LT prospects.

    If they wash at LT, they can play RT...if not, they can play guard..

    Centers call the line blocks, and really can impact both sides of the running game.

    @ballpeen said:

    I wouldn't say centers can't bust, but it isn't very likely.

    At worst they end up serviceable players....much like LT prospects.

    If they wash at LT, they can play RT...if not, they can play guard..

    Centers call the line blocks, and really can impact both sides of the running game.

    remember Jeff Faine wasn't really the center I thought he would turn out to be.

    he is close as you get to a bust but still able to stay in the league.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I wouldn't say centers can't bust, but it isn't very likely.

    At worst they end up serviceable players....much like LT prospects.

    If they wash at LT, they can play RT...if not, they can play guard..

    Centers call the line blocks, and really can impact both sides of the running game.

    remember Jeff Faine wasn't really the center I thought he would turn out to be.

    he is close as you get to a bust but still able to stay in the league.

    @erie-dawg said:

    remember Jeff Faine wasn't really the center I thought he would turn out to be.

    he is close as you get to a bust but still able to stay in the league.

    He hasn't just "stayed" in the league, he's the highest paid center of all time and a Pro Bowler.

    He just was too small for the AFC North. He's done more than fine in the NFC.

  • 33de27e616095682cc2c4a925d3c0c16.jpg

    That's the money you saved by switching to Mankok.

    Loved the trade downs. That's the best part. We could have been saddled with a #5 salary for a player that we wanted in the teens. Instead, we got a really solid player at the #21 salary.

    As for the WRs, Robiskie seems like he's professional and savvy enough to play in this league. I think Massaquoi is a bit overrated. But damned if I'm going to try and guess how a college WR turns out in the pros. It's a fool's errand.

    And who knows how Veikune turns out? I don't know much about him.

    But damned if we didn't save some dough. Last year's #5 got five-years, $51 million with $22 guaranteed.

    Last year's #20 got 5 years, $14 million, with $8.2 million guaranteed. That's probably around what we're looking at for this year's #21.

    Honestly, I think that's the best part of the day.

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    33de27e616095682cc2c4a925d3c0c16.jpg

    That's the money you saved by switching to Mankok.

    Loved the trade downs. That's the best part. We could have been saddled with a #5 salary for a player that we wanted in the teens. Instead, we got a really solid player at the #21 salary.

    As for the WRs, Robiskie seems like he's professional and savvy enough to play in this league. I think Massaquoi is a bit overrated. But damned if I'm going to try and guess how a college WR turns out in the pros. It's a fool's errand.

    And who knows how Veikune turns out? I don't know much about him.

    But damned if we didn't save some dough. Last year's #5 got five-years, $51 million with $22 guaranteed.

    Last year's #20 got 5 years, $14 million, with $8.2 million guaranteed. That's probably around what we're looking at for this year's #21.

    Honestly, I think that's the best part of the day.

    HAHA thats great

  • @solon16 said:

    The most puzzling move by the Browns is passing on Jeremy Machlin for Alex mack (a center, while good, is still a center)and the 195th player in a very weak draft... your thoughts?

    Are you serious with this, Solon?

    A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.

    Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.

    Centers are not.

    @damajuki said:

    Are you serious with this, Solon?

    A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.

    Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.

    Centers are not.

    Dama you are correct and not to mention the fact that Mack won the Academic Hiesman shows some smarts - also both receivers were very high in their class - I think Massaqoi has a degree in psychology , either smart players = equal good work ethics and smart plays - go brownies!!!

  • @erie-dawg said:

    remember Jeff Faine wasn't really the center I thought he would turn out to be.

    he is close as you get to a bust but still able to stay in the league.

    He hasn't just "stayed" in the league, he's the highest paid center of all time and a Pro Bowler.

    He just was too small for the AFC North. He's done more than fine in the NFC.

    @damajuki said:

    He hasn't just "stayed" in the league, he's the highest paid center of all time and a Pro Bowler.

    He just was too small for the AFC North. He's done more than fine in the NFC.

    The tampa bay bucs are a bunch of suckers too. I'm not sold on him....look if he was worth a crap he would of still been a clev. brown or a saint. And if he is to small for the afc North, why is it ok to be in the nfc?

    If you are going to make a playoff run do you want to do it with an undersized center. Michael Vick was the highest paid qb was he the best qb in the league?

  • @solon16 said:

    The most puzzling move by the Browns is passing on Jeremy Machlin for Alex mack (a center, while good, is still a center)and the 195th player in a very weak draft... your thoughts?

    Are you serious with this, Solon?

    A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.

    Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.

    Centers are not.

    @damajuki said:

    Are you serious with this, Solon?

    A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.

    Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.

    Centers are not.

    Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have machlin...Antoine Calwell could have been #52 pick and Luigs from ark at #104 and as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!

  • @damajuki said:

    Are you serious with this, Solon?

    A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.

    Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.

    Centers are not.

    Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have machlin...Antoine Calwell could have been #52 pick and Luigs from ark at #104 and as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!

    @solon16 said:

    Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have macklin...Luigs from ark and Antoine Calwell could have been #52 picks as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!

    Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.

    Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.

    Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.

  • I read somewhere that we were given a Day 1 grade of B+ for our efforts yesterday.

  • I think the Massaquoi pick is to cover the loss of Edwards.

    With events the past month, receiver became a very big need.

    While that pick may be the one I question somewhat, I understand the reason why it was made and don't have a big problem.

    @ballpeen said:

    I think the Massaquoi pick is to cover the loss of Edwards.

    With events the past month, receiver became a very big need.

    While that pick may be the one I question somewhat, I understand the reason why it was made and don't have a big problem.

    did you mean Stallworth BP?

    besides being in a contract year the key to bringing out the best in Edwards is surrounding him with competition. regarding Robiskie and Massaquoi: both are superb route runners, have good hands, and have their heads on straight.

    these young bucs are exactly what the doctor ordered to push Braylon back into '07 form.

    WR is set, plz give up on the trade ideas already.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.

    Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.

    @shepwrite said:

    I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.

    Masters said:

    Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.

    they went from 5 pix to potentially 11 players. i'd say that's pretty close to amazing, considering.

  • I believe most mocks, and squeeler fans in some forums I visited, er... lurked...

    that Mack was the choice of the Squeelers. They want to stay on top, and wanted to strengthen the

    middle of their oline vs the Browns' and dirty stupid filthy ugly ratbirds' giant NT's

    But the Browns beat them to it. And, it would be great to see a youtube video of pencils being snapped

    and thrown against the wall at the squeeler draft room when both centers were gone.

    And, when the Browns want to go with a 3 wr set... any defense has to curse when the game is on the line.

    I'm flushtered that Jamon Meredith and Rashad Jennings are still on the board, I think. Shows what I know.

  • We've got three 6th rounders left, let's hope they make the most of them. No more David McMillans and Paul Hubbards.

  • We've got three 6th rounders left, let's hope they make the most of them. No more David McMillans and Paul Hubbards.

    @samoth said:

    We've got three 6th rounders left, let's hope they make the most of them. No more David McMillans and Paul Hubbards.

    Hubbard could still pan out. he certainly has the potential and did well enough in college. we shall see.

  • @solon16 said:

    Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have macklin...Luigs from ark and Antoine Calwell could have been #52 picks as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!

    Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.

    Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.

    Masters said:

    Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.

    Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.

    Max Unger...also at 52 Caldwell...Luigs at 104

  • Masters said:

    Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.

    Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.

    Max Unger...also at 52 Caldwell...Luigs at 104

    @solon16 said:

    Max Unger...also at 52 Caldwell...Luigs at 104

    All several steps below the talent level of Mack and Wood.

  • Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.

    So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.

  • Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.

    So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.

    Aloysius said:

    Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.

    So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.

    So you didn't have Machlin at #19, as a better choice?