Skip to content

Maiava

The Browns Board
38 13 3.0k
  • It looks like they might think that none of the RBs were worth the pick. A upgrade at o-line could improve our ground game, and next year's draft is a lot stronger at RB than this one (or so Im told). Just look at those 4 Rbs that we were talking about in round 3. We hoped a couple would survive round 3, but it looks like they might all make it to round 5 at this point. Unlike LB, RB isnt a position where I'd advocate taking a guy this year that you dont ever expect to be a strong starter. If we need a new starter next year, then the last thing we want to do it cut a guy we just picked up.

    Also, watch for quite a few RBs to get cut after the draft, Joseph Addai among them.

  • The Giants just took Andre Brown. And now they've replaced Derrick Ward.

  • The Giants just took Andre Brown. And now they've replaced Derrick Ward.

    Aloysius said:

    The Giants just took Andre Brown. And now they've replaced Derrick Ward.

    That makes a lot more sense to me than us drafting him. In NY, he has a permanent place as a complimentary back. In Cleveland, he would spend a year splitting carries with JL and JH and then sit behind a big young starting RB next year (hopefully). I'd much rather sign a vet to play the role of stopgap than spend the 106th pick on it.

  • Could be.

    I'm really high on Brown, but he's got some durability issues and wasn't a great student. Not surprised that Mangini didn't take him, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a better back than whichever back we draft next year.

    Re: the Maiava-McKenzie comparison...sorry, I don't see it. McKenzie is bigger and more physical, though intelligence has been a question with him. And you had a couple 3-4 teams expressing interest in McKenzie in the past couple weeks; I didn't see similar reports linking Maiava to teams running odd man fronts.

    Not sure what the Browns see in him: maybe they like him in a Gary Guyton-type coverage role - He could sub in for Eric Barton on passing downs and make Leon Williams expendable. But if that's the role they see him playing, I would have preferred they'd gotten him or a similar player later in the draft (or as a UDFA).

  • Could Maiava be a future strong Safety? He's only 6' and 230 lbs.

    That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pick.

  • I have no doubt that you've seen more of these guys than I have, but the scouting reports dont leave me with the impression that McKenzie is any more physical than Maiava.

    Maiava had 30 reps to McKenzie's 27 at the combine.

    NFL Draft Prospectus:

    McKenzie:

    Strengths: Active. Instinctive. Always around the ball. Solid tackler. Good in coverage. Could stay on the field in nickel and dime situations. Versatile. Has also played MLB. Had a good Senior Bowl week.

    Weaknesses: A bit small. Can be engulfed and run at. Would likely have to come off the field in obvious running situations.

    Maiava:

    Strengths: Strong tackler who has good instincts and is always around the ball. Outstanding football IQ. Physical player. Will contribute on all special teams.

    Weaknesses: Can get twisted and turned in coverage. Needs to show he's more than a one year wonder. Lacks ideal height. Didn't record a sack his SR year.

    Scott Wright:

    Mckenzie

    Strengths: athleticism, speed, quickness, range, instincts, versatility, ST potential

    Weaknesses: not very strong or physical, not a big hitter, definitely isnt a thumper

    Maiava:

    Strengths: agility, speed, quickness, good strength, good tackler, active, fluid, tough, plays physical

    Weakneses: small, limited experience, struggles to shed blockers

    We are now a full round past our last pick, and 4 of the 5 RBs that I saw mentioned here as targets at that pick are still on the board.

  • Could Maiava be a future strong Safety? He's only 6' and 230 lbs.

    That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pick.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    Could Maiava be a future strong Safety? He's only 6' and 230 lbs.

    That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pick.

    That's a possibility. And I'll choose to promote it because it furthers my argument here - he's a versatile, smart, hard working defender - the kind of guy you see in NE.

  • You're right that neither is the prototype for playing 3-4 ILB, but I think McKenzie's closer to being a fit.

    For instance, check out how the two were graded by nfldraftscout. McKenzie grades out adequately in the areas you'd like to see a 3-4 ILB excel in, whereas Maiava gets some weak grades.

    Maiva

    Use of Hands: Maiava uses his hands well to control and shed blocks vs. tight ends and lead blockers, but lacks the bulk and arm length to stave off reach blocks when engaging offensive linemen. He does a nice job of rerouting tight ends and backs in the short-area passing game, knowing how to get his hands on the opponent's jersey and not be seen by the refs. He takes good swipes with his hands when facing up to the offensive lineman, but fails to deliver enough force to rock those linemen back on their heels. He shows aggression vs. the smaller running backs and receivers, but you don't see him use his hands to stack and control when working at the line of scrimmage. GRADE: 5.4

    Tackling Ability: Maiava can deliver explosive hits when he connects on the move. He will get out of control and forget to break down in space, on occasion, but is a decent wrap-up tackler who shows the aggression as you'd like from a linebacker. He will get engulfed too often when taking on offensive linemen, but has decent success when asked to face up to the lead blockers in the rush lanes. GRADE: 5.7

    Run Defense: Maiava spends a lot of his time trying to avoid bigger blockers, which results in him not making as many inside running plays like a linebacker should. He can make some plays off stunts when working in-line, but they are few and far between. He just does not have the lower body strength or size to hold his ground firmly at the point of attack. He has the balance and foot speed to string outside running plays, where he can play with leverage to force the action back inside. With his lateral agility, he does a nice job of playing to the flow of the game. GRADE: 6.0

    McKenzie

    Use of Hands: McKenzie has developed above average usage and placement in order to compensate for a lack of ideal strength. He extends his hands well, using his wing span to stave off high blocks, but must do a better job of utilizing them to protect his legs from cut blocks. He has the functional power behind them to stun and jolt. But he also fails to protect his knees from the block, resulting in him getting cut easily. He has much better ability to stay on feet when he uses his hands to slip off blocks. He does a better job of working his hands on the move than he does in traffic. He will use his body as a crutch going for the interception, resulting in more pass breakups than interceptions. But, he worked hard during the offseason to reach and snatch the ball away from the body's frame, showing better results when attacking the ball in flight during Senior Bowl practices. GRADE: 6.3

    Tackling Ability: McKenzie shows very good hip flip when attacking ball carriers, staying low in his pads in attempts to wrap and secure. He has the large hands and torpedo-like hitting ability to create turnovers, as runners need to be extra cautious protecting the ball when this linebacker puts a bead on the ball. Despite his high amount of tackles, he will generally take a side, as he does not have the raw power to hold ground on plays run right at him. He needs to stay low in his pads to be effective as bigger runners have good success breaking his arm tackles when he gets too tall in his stance. He can hit with good force due to his upper body strength, but needs to improve his lower body power base, as he lacks a strong anchor and can be stonewalled trying to attack through the gaps. He is a good hit-and-wrap tackler that will deliver some pop on contact. He is good making plays down the line, as he will strike and wrap with decent authority vs. plays in space. Still, he could use more strength in order to be more physical behind his hits. GRADE: 6.5

    Run Defense: McKenzie has great success making tackles in space. He has good pursuit speed and a closing burst, showing proper wrap-up technique to secure and bring down the runner. When he waits for the ball carrier to attack him, his adequate lower body strength will see him get run over. He will make every effort to stall the fullback and make the tackle in the holes vs. the inside run, but he does not have the raw strength to stack the bigger offensive linemen. On the outside, he has more than enough foot speed to string the plays wide, along with a quick burst to the ball when working the sidelines. GRADE: 6.5

  • Here's the problem: you're hung up on talent and ability to play football whereas I am enamored with my brilliant McKenzie comparison. Clearly I win.

  • Do you guys remember Polamalu in college?

    He wore #43 at USC......Hmmmmmm.

    This guy has safety written all over him.

  • The guys at theOBR are hearing that Maiava will be used as a linebacker.

  • Here are some highlights:

  • Leon Williams didn't exactly shine as the nickle LB.

  • I didn't get the Maiava pick at all. I don't see what he does in a 3-4 other than play special teams.

  • The guys at theOBR are hearing that Maiava will be used as a linebacker.

    Aloysius said:

    The guys at theOBR are hearing that Maiava will be used as a linebacker.

    I'm with heck, insofar as much as I don't see what he could do for us at LB. I still think there's a very good chance he ends up at safety down the road.

  • They said at the presser he is a special teams demon and hardcore. I think they are planning on getting that out of him and whatever extra at LB is a bonus. The league has room for players like him and they can make a difference.

  • I know you don't have to be all that fast at safety.....mostly quick and reactionary with a good eye for the game, but is he fast enough??

    You also have to look at a guys body. Is he at his top weight or is he going to put on weight as a natural course of aging??

    I don't know why, but you can just look at some people and tell they are going to bulk up as the hit 25 or 26 years of age.

    You can't constantly keep a person in wrestling practice trying to make weight. Sooner or later they are going to end up where God and genetics intends them to end up.

  • I don;t care what anyone says. This kid is a future safety. I don't see the Browns drafting a 6' 230 lbs back up linebacker from USC unless they have other plans for him.

    Jackson is almost undersized at 6' and 240 lbs. Do they plan on adding an ever smaller one to the LB corps?

    Look at him.....He looks like an NFL safety.

    KM1.jpg

  • I don;t care what anyone says. This kid is a future safety. I don't see the Browns drafting a 6' 230 lbs back up linebacker from USC unless they have other plans for him.

    Jackson is almost undersized at 6' and 240 lbs. Do they plan on adding an ever smaller one to the LB corps?

    Look at him.....He looks like an NFL safety.

    KM1.jpg

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I don;t care what anyone says. This kid is a future safety. I don't see the Browns drafting a 6' 230 lbs back up linebacker from USC unless they have other plans for him.

    Jackson is almost undersized at 6' and 240 lbs. Do they plan on adding an ever smaller one to the LB corps?

    Look at him.....He looks like an NFL safety.

    Remember David Fulcher?

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    I don;t care what anyone says. This kid is a future safety. I don't see the Browns drafting a 6' 230 lbs back up linebacker from USC unless they have other plans for him.

    Jackson is almost undersized at 6' and 240 lbs. Do they plan on adding an ever smaller one to the LB corps?

    Look at him.....He looks like an NFL safety.

    Remember David Fulcher?

    @riffer-x said:

    Remember David Fulcher?

    Sure...A huge safety for the Bengals.

    Kaluka could be that kind of player at safety

    Safety Kaluka Maiava.

    KM1.jpg