Skip to content

Davis Webb

The Browns Board
138 28 5.1k
  • I heard he had good velocity during practices, and did well in the game. If anything he made himself the Browns choice as a mid round sleeper. I also heard good this about Dobbs. Difference between the two is I heard Webb wasn't very accurate in practice and Dobb has good accuracy and placement, but not alot of velocity.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    I heard he had good velocity during practices, and did well in the game. If anything he made himself the Browns choice as a mid round sleeper. I also heard good this about Dobbs. Difference between the two is I heard Webb wasn't very accurate in practice and Dobb has good accuracy and placement, but not alot of velocity.

    Not that either makes the air sizzle, but watching the practices during the week I thought Dobbs' arm looked a little stronger... that he threw a flatter ball to out routes. Neither looked particularly accurate overall, but each got hot at times... something Webb did in the game.

    Both QB's motions looked decent with Dobbs' being a little more compact.

  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786194/article/exec-davis-webb-will-be-best-qb-of-2017-nfl-draft-class?campaign=tw-nf-sf56794979-sf56794979&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    One beauty of the NFL draft is that with 32 clubs and a diversity of opinions within each, there is bound to be some outlier thinking on how to rank prospects.

    Case in point: A club personnel executive sees Cal QB Davis Webb developing into the draft's best quarterback.

    "If I were a team like Cleveland, I would take impact players at (pick Nos.) 1 and 12 and then trade back into the bottom of the first round for Davis Webb," the executive told NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah. "I think he will end up being the best quarterback of this draft class."

    Early draft analysis has Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, Clemson's Deshaun Watson and North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky drawing most of the attention at the position, but should it surprise anyone that someone else might emerge as the best of the lot? After Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were drafted No. 1 and No. 2 overall in the 2016 draft, it was a fourth-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, Dak Prescott, who took the league by storm as a rookie. Two years earlier, Derek Carr was a second-round pick of the Oakland Raiders and the fourth quarterback selected, only to outplay those chosen ahead of him. And lest we forget, the likes of Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins were 2012 draft steals in the third and fourth rounds, respectively.

    One thing Webb already has in common with Prescott: a Reese's Senior Bowl MVP Award. Granted, that's hardly a predictor of things to come, but it's not as if Webb needed that to establish himself, either. Back in October, an NFL executive told Jeremiah that Webb has a better arm than Goff. By season's end, he had passed for 4,295 yards in his only season as a starter for the Golden Bears, with 37 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Between that campaign and his two seasons as a starter for Texas Tech, there is plenty of film on Webb for scouts to dig into.

    And while he might not be the first quarterback picked, there's no reason to think he can't be the one who goes on to have the most success in the pros.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    these experts are ruining the plan of a taking webb in the early second with this kinda talk. Been Reading quite a few stories saying that scouts are really liking what they are seeing as did the browns when they had him in mobile. Citing he has "It" for leadership and has the arm.


    DJ pitches in saying that an NFL executive believes that conditional on a good Combine (work outs, drills, and interviews) will be a “Davis Webb kick off party, and push to be the first QB taken”.

    Thoughts?

  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786194/article/exec-davis-webb-will-be-best-qb-of-2017-nfl-draft-class?campaign=tw-nf-sf56794979-sf56794979&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    One beauty of the NFL draft is that with 32 clubs and a diversity of opinions within each, there is bound to be some outlier thinking on how to rank prospects.

    Case in point: A club personnel executive sees Cal QB Davis Webb developing into the draft's best quarterback.

    "If I were a team like Cleveland, I would take impact players at (pick Nos.) 1 and 12 and then trade back into the bottom of the first round for Davis Webb," the executive told NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah. "I think he will end up being the best quarterback of this draft class."

    Early draft analysis has Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, Clemson's Deshaun Watson and North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky drawing most of the attention at the position, but should it surprise anyone that someone else might emerge as the best of the lot? After Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were drafted No. 1 and No. 2 overall in the 2016 draft, it was a fourth-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, Dak Prescott, who took the league by storm as a rookie. Two years earlier, Derek Carr was a second-round pick of the Oakland Raiders and the fourth quarterback selected, only to outplay those chosen ahead of him. And lest we forget, the likes of Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins were 2012 draft steals in the third and fourth rounds, respectively.

    One thing Webb already has in common with Prescott: a Reese's Senior Bowl MVP Award. Granted, that's hardly a predictor of things to come, but it's not as if Webb needed that to establish himself, either. Back in October, an NFL executive told Jeremiah that Webb has a better arm than Goff. By season's end, he had passed for 4,295 yards in his only season as a starter for the Golden Bears, with 37 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Between that campaign and his two seasons as a starter for Texas Tech, there is plenty of film on Webb for scouts to dig into.

    And while he might not be the first quarterback picked, there's no reason to think he can't be the one who goes on to have the most success in the pros.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    these experts are ruining the plan of a taking webb in the early second with this kinda talk. Been Reading quite a few stories saying that scouts are really liking what they are seeing as did the browns when they had him in mobile. Citing he has "It" for leadership and has the arm.


    DJ pitches in saying that an NFL executive believes that conditional on a good Combine (work outs, drills, and interviews) will be a “Davis Webb kick off party, and push to be the first QB taken”.

    Thoughts?

    @cainedesoulis said:

    Between that campaign and his two seasons as a starter for Texas Tech, there is plenty of film on Webb for scouts to dig into.

    thoughts?

    The guy transfers to Cal his senior season after Goff is gone to open the door to Mahomes at Tech? or Webb could have lost his 2 year starting QB position at Texas Tech to Mahomes which sent him to Cal? somebody may want to phone some coaches..

  • @cainedesoulis said:

    Between that campaign and his two seasons as a starter for Texas Tech, there is plenty of film on Webb for scouts to dig into.

    thoughts?

    The guy transfers to Cal his senior season after Goff is gone to open the door to Mahomes at Tech? or Webb could have lost his 2 year starting QB position at Texas Tech to Mahomes which sent him to Cal? somebody may want to phone some coaches..

    @gumby73 said:

    The guy transfers to Cal his senior season after Goff is gone to open the door to Mahomes at Tech? or Webb would have lost his 2 year starting QB position at Texas Tech to Mahomes which sent him to Cal?

    Mahomes started in 2015 as well, and took over from Webb halfway through the 2014 season.

  • @gumby73 said:

    The guy transfers to Cal his senior season after Goff is gone to open the door to Mahomes at Tech? or Webb would have lost his 2 year starting QB position at Texas Tech to Mahomes which sent him to Cal?

    Mahomes started in 2015 as well, and took over from Webb halfway through the 2014 season.

    @gftchris said:

    Mahomes started in 2015 as well, and took over from Webb halfway through the 2014 season.

    And I would take the flier on Mahomes before Webb, but definitely Clemson's Watson over all the rest. He showed me all I need to know about performance under pressure this season whereas all the rest showed me collapse late in big games. Prescott showed the same "it" factor and in a weak QB class the cream rises to the top when it's all on the line. The Bama ending should have gotten everyone's attention when you are in an unsure coin flip for best QB prospect.

  • Im not sure you are very good at differentiating between college QB and Pro QB Aggie. Watsons very much a system QB and his stats would indicate as such. He played on the best offense and best defense team. He did not elevate the position he mearly maintained.

    Mahomes took webb's job because of mobility and webb had an injury. Mobility like his is a gimmick in the nfl anyway. Don't get me wrong i actually like mahomes better as a prospect than watson or kizer but he does not have the arm talent or size of webb nor does he have the pocket presence. Hell webb is actually bigger than kizer.

  • In the third, okay.

  • In the third, okay.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    In the third, okay.

    I doubt he will be there. We shall see how the hype shapes up after the combine/prodays and interviews are done.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    In the third, okay.

    I doubt he will be there. We shall see how the hype shapes up after the combine/prodays and interviews are done.

    @cainedesoulis said:

    I doubt he will be there. We shall see how the hype shapes up after the combine/prodays and interviews are done.

    Let him be a product of the hype. I don't see much that screams anything outside "physically gifted project".

    Could eventually become good, but I sense a Goffian learning curve in his future.

  • Im not sure you are very good at differentiating between college QB and Pro QB Aggie. Watsons very much a system QB and his stats would indicate as such. He played on the best offense and best defense team. He did not elevate the position he mearly maintained.

    Mahomes took webb's job because of mobility and webb had an injury. Mobility like his is a gimmick in the nfl anyway. Don't get me wrong i actually like mahomes better as a prospect than watson or kizer but he does not have the arm talent or size of webb nor does he have the pocket presence. Hell webb is actually bigger than kizer.

    @cainedesoulis said:

    Im not sure you are very good at differentiating between college QB and Pro QB Aggie. Watsons very much a system QB and his stats would indicate as such. He played on the best offense and best defense team. He did not elevate the position he mearly maintained.

    Mahomes took webb's job because of mobility and webb had an injury. Mobility like his is a gimmick in the nfl anyway. Don't get me wrong i actually like mahomes better as a prospect than watson or kizer but he does not have the arm talent or size of webb nor does he have the pocket presence. Hell webb is actually bigger than kizer.

    I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.

  • @cainedesoulis said:

    Im not sure you are very good at differentiating between college QB and Pro QB Aggie. Watsons very much a system QB and his stats would indicate as such. He played on the best offense and best defense team. He did not elevate the position he mearly maintained.

    Mahomes took webb's job because of mobility and webb had an injury. Mobility like his is a gimmick in the nfl anyway. Don't get me wrong i actually like mahomes better as a prospect than watson or kizer but he does not have the arm talent or size of webb nor does he have the pocket presence. Hell webb is actually bigger than kizer.

    I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.

    i think your over valuing TEAM play over INDIVIDUAL performance its an easy mistake to make. Regarding Prescott he could have been the labeled as the next tom brady and we would not have touched him with a DUI hanging over him thanks to Manziel

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.

    i think your over valuing TEAM play over INDIVIDUAL performance its an easy mistake to make. Regarding Prescott he could have been the labeled as the next tom brady and we would not have touched him with a DUI hanging over him thanks to Manziel

    @cainedesoulis said:

    i think your over valuing TEAM play over INDIVIDUAL performance its an easy mistake to make. Regarding Prescott he could have been the labeled as the next tom brady and we would not have touched him with a DUI hanging over him thanks to Manziel

    You'd better go back and watch that last quarter of the NC game and watch how he conducts himself in the game and on the sidelines. Teams have leaders. This guy is a leader when the chips are down.

  • @cainedesoulis said:

    i think your over valuing TEAM play over INDIVIDUAL performance its an easy mistake to make. Regarding Prescott he could have been the labeled as the next tom brady and we would not have touched him with a DUI hanging over him thanks to Manziel

    You'd better go back and watch that last quarter of the NC game and watch how he conducts himself in the game and on the sidelines. Teams have leaders. This guy is a leader when the chips are down.

    @texasag1969 said:

    You'd better go back and watch that last quarter of the NC game and watch how he conducts himself in the game and on the sidelines. Teams have leaders. This guy is a leader when the chips are down.

    Funny to me it looks like he's running an option based offense that carries very little to the nfl. combine that with the fact that in 2015 he had an int percentage of 2.6% and then got worse as it increased to 2.9% Highest of any of the "top" QB's of this class this year or last year

    you seem to like Dak how about this 2014 2.7% int rate in 2015 it was 1%

    Manziel 2012 was 2% in 2013 it was 3%

    Kizer 2014 was 3% in 2015 it was 2.49%

    Trubisky has a 1.7% career and in 2015 only 1.3%

    Davis webb has a 2.48% career and a 1.9% this year

  • @texasag1969 said:

    You'd better go back and watch that last quarter of the NC game and watch how he conducts himself in the game and on the sidelines. Teams have leaders. This guy is a leader when the chips are down.

    Funny to me it looks like he's running an option based offense that carries very little to the nfl. combine that with the fact that in 2015 he had an int percentage of 2.6% and then got worse as it increased to 2.9% Highest of any of the "top" QB's of this class this year or last year

    you seem to like Dak how about this 2014 2.7% int rate in 2015 it was 1%

    Manziel 2012 was 2% in 2013 it was 3%

    Kizer 2014 was 3% in 2015 it was 2.49%

    Trubisky has a 1.7% career and in 2015 only 1.3%

    Davis webb has a 2.48% career and a 1.9% this year

    @cainedesoulis said:

    Funny to me it looks like he's running an option based offense that carries very little to the nfl. combine that with the fact that in 2015 he had an int percentage of 2.6% and then got worse as it increased to 2.9% Highest of any of the "top" QB's of this class this year or last year

    you seem to like Dak how about this 2014 2.7% int rate in 2015 it was 1%

    Manziel 2012 was 2% in 2013 it was 3%

    Kizer 2014 was 3% in 2015 it was 2.49%

    Trubisky has a 1.7% career and in 2015 only 1.3%

    Davis webb has a 2.48% career and a 1.9% this year

    How about this: National Championship I just said there are some things that analytics just don't account for and winning when the game is on the line counts far more in my book. Go watch Mitch at the end of the NCSt. game where he had clear open receivers twice at game's end where he should have won the game. He screwed the pooch with both opportunities. Compare it to Watson scoring twice at game's end to take it all. Sorry, give me the leader/winner, not the stat freak. Good coaches can fix the latter, but they can't fix loser so well.

  • 2015 QB Jake Coker National Champion (not in league)
    2014 QB Cardale Jones National Champion (imploded after winning)
    2013 QB Jameis Winston National Champion (3% interception machine regressed this past year)
    2012 QB AJ Mcarron National Champion (backup bengals)
    2011 QB AJ Mcarron National Champion (backup bengals)
    2010 QB Cam Newton National Champion (Good QB)
    2009 QB Greg Mcelroy National Champion (retired 2 years 31 att.)
    2008 QB Tim Tebow National Champion (LOL)
    2007 QB Matt Flynn National Champion (good vet backup)
    2006 QB Chris Leak National Champion (never played in nfl)
    2005 QB Vince Young National Champion (LOL)
    2004 QB Matt Leinhart National Champion (one of the biggest busts of all time)
    2003 QB Matt Mauck National Champion (couple of games with the titans and then retired)
    2002 QB Craig Kenzel National Champion (6 games for the bears before retiring)
    2001 QB Ken Dorsey National Champion (5 year career not very good)

    National Championship is at best a poor indicator for success because most of those teams were loaded with purely better players at skill positions. Watson did not need to be good to win games with clemson because of the talent level on that team. Same with Jones and OSU or most of the other Champions.

  • You talk about comebacks like they were a common thing in watsons career. Twice in 2 years did watson lead a 4th Quarter comeback. Once early in 2015 when they were down by 3 points and during the Alabama game. How about the fact he has 10 games without an INT in the last two years. How about the Pitt game where watson handed the game to a lesser team because clemson needed to rely on the intermediate passing attack which is a weakness for watson. Before the alabama game Watson was being projected as a late first at best rounds 2-3 as a developmental QB. Nothing has changed my opinion of that.

  • It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the Browns traded back into the first round. Remember, we obviously have the first pick of the second round, and that pick is extremely coveted. It's coveted because the second round is on a different day, and that gives teams a BUNCH of time to look at their board and see who they might want to grab. It also provides a bunch of time to hammer a deal out. Every year people talk about the players that "slide" out of the first round, for whatever reason, and teams will be wanting that pick pretty badly. It gives us some nice leverage to propel ourselves back into the first round, and I could definitely see us coming away with three players after the first day of the draft.

    I'm too lazy to pull up the draft order right now, but when I looked at it the other day, I noticed that once you get past around pick 12 or 13, there really aren't too many teams that need a rookie QB on their team. I guess Houston needs one, but I see them as a team set on acquiring a veteran. The Cardinals are around 12 or 13 I think, and it'd probably be a good idea for them to start thinking about their future QB. Other than that, there's not a bunch of teams that really need a QB. I could Kizer, Watson, Mahomes, or even Trubisky getting past 13, and then continuing to slide. If that happens, I see us being aggressive and making a move for them.

    The above poster said that before the Alabama game, Watson was projected as a 2nd to 3rd round pick. That's true, and it isn't. Certainly some analysts had him projected in that range, but I definitely saw others that had him pegged very early. Even before that last magical game. A part of me says that Watson was mostly a product of a gimmicky system, he threw too many picks, and he isn't accurate enough to be an NFL QB right now. He also doesn't have experience under center, which could be an issue. But there's definitely another part of me that says, "Just watch Watson play. Look at what he does on the field, and quit picking the guy apart. He and his team took down a football giant that most thought they had NO chance to win." Watson also measured in at 6'2 and 222 pounds, so the whole "he's got a slight frame" thing is total crap. He's a saint off the field, and I haven't heard one bad thing about him. He's not terrificly fast, but he's certainly not slow either. He is at ease running the read-option plays that Hue appears to favor, and he's not afraid to attack the middle of the field. I can make an argument either way for Watson, but I will say this: I'm definitely interested to see what he does!

  • @londonbrown said:

    He's looking at the ball as it comes out of his hand??? I've never seen that before...

    The only excuse I can think of is it "slipped" as he threw it. Appears to be raining given the parkas in the stands.

    post-2853-0-39666900-1488996191_thumb.jpg

  • @cainedesoulis said:

    Im not sure you are very good at differentiating between college QB and Pro QB Aggie. Watsons very much a system QB and his stats would indicate as such. He played on the best offense and best defense team. He did not elevate the position he mearly maintained.

    Mahomes took webb's job because of mobility and webb had an injury. Mobility like his is a gimmick in the nfl anyway. Don't get me wrong i actually like mahomes better as a prospect than watson or kizer but he does not have the arm talent or size of webb nor does he have the pocket presence. Hell webb is actually bigger than kizer.

    I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.

    Hate to say it Ag. Clemson won the National Championship on an uncalled pick play- that they ran for the second time. Shame on 'Bama for not adjusting. That said, Watson did do well at the combine, but I still have my doubts- on accuracy. You either have that, or you don't. Chucking up floaters in the same area code as Mike Williams? Shades of Manziel doing the same thing with Mike Evans.

    Regarding Trubs- Yeah, the NC State game was bad. But you forget he was a failed 2 point conversion away from tying Stanford in the Bowl game? One of the prettiest 2 minute drives I've ever seen. MHO? He's probably as clutch as Watson- but had far less surrounding talent.