Skip to content

Kessler looking good so far

The Browns Board
56 28 1.7k
  • Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

  • Kessler's arm will get stronger with time. Josh Cribbs insisted that was true a few weeks ago.

    He's a smart qb. He and Wentz are starting. Kessler is making a lot of good things happen.

    he'll make mistakes - the pressure in on with injuries, etc.

    Goff isn't.

    @calfoxwc said:

    He and Wentz are starting.

    Goff isn't.

    He didnt earn it Cal...cmon....earth to cal earth to cal....

    If the 2 QB's ahead of Goff get knocked out, he too will become a starter, the same way Kess did.....

  • If I were Hue? I would go ahead and tell him he is the starter for the rest of the year. He has a lot of work to do still, but what I like is that he gets rid of the ball... something our previous qb's have struggled with. Once that arm drops back the ball is out in no time.

  • Kessler has been ok. Hasn't looked great or terrible.

  • Been impressed with the poise of Cody Kessler. I really have, but with weapons like Pryor and Coleman, who can stretch the field, you need a QB with a bigger arm. He doesn't have that. his longest completion was a lousy 14 yards (and half of that was Crowell breaking tackles). He's looking like he could be a solid backup and a great emergency starter. But you need the guy throwing who can stretch the field.

  • Been impressed with the poise of Cody Kessler. I really have, but with weapons like Pryor and Coleman, who can stretch the field, you need a QB with a bigger arm. He doesn't have that. his longest completion was a lousy 14 yards (and half of that was Crowell breaking tackles). He's looking like he could be a solid backup and a great emergency starter. But you need the guy throwing who can stretch the field.

    @cnhnyy said:

    Been impressed with the poise of Cody Kessler. I really have, but with weapons like Pryor and Coleman, who can stretch the field, you need a QB with a bigger arm. He doesn't have that. his longest completion was a lousy 14 yards (and half of that was Crowell breaking tackles). He's looking like he could be a solid backup and a great emergency starter. But you need the guy throwing who can stretch the field.

    welcome aboard, Cody took few shots long, Cody took some shots in pocket too. Can't expect a rook with 3-4 seconds in pocket to stretch to much.But on the long ones, Cody is finding single covered receivers. It's a good step for a rook

  • We could have had Carson Wentz. Our Front Office isn't too bright. Now that we have Coleman & Kessler I hope they become the dynamic duo of the future. Except Coleman isn't playing. But when he returns I hope it's Kessler to Coleman, Crowell running all day long. I doubt they'll win any games this year because we have no defense. And as long as they're losing the experts and Pundits are going to keep bringing up the fact we didn't draft Carson Wentz. We have to listen to that until the next draft.

    But seriously, Kessler looked pretty good for his second NFL game with no defense. I think they're going to have a hard time benching this guy for McCown.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    He and Wentz are starting.

    Goff isn't.

    He didnt earn it Cal...cmon....earth to cal earth to cal....

    If the 2 QB's ahead of Goff get knocked out, he too will become a starter, the same way Kess did.....

    @mudfly said:

    He didnt earn it Cal...cmon....earth to cal earth to cal....

    If the 2 QB's ahead of Goff get knocked out, he too will become a starter, the same way Kess did.....

    neither did Wentz, he was 3rd on the depth chart until Bradford was traded.
  • @mudfly said:

    He didnt earn it Cal...cmon....earth to cal earth to cal....

    If the 2 QB's ahead of Goff get knocked out, he too will become a starter, the same way Kess did.....

    neither did Wentz, he was 3rd on the depth chart until Bradford was traded.

    @jcam222 said:

    neither did Wentz, he was 3rd on the depth chart until Bradford was traded.

    tell it to cal...have never once mentioned Wentz.....

    though, now that Ive been tossed into the wentz ring, his team having enough faith to trade their starter and insert him as starter in game one is a LOT different than actually being 3rd string on day one and having your coaches choose to start 2 other guys ahead of you.....

  • I know almost all of you guys hated this pick when we made it and I was kind of a lone wolf when I said that it was a good selection. He may be the qb of the future that we been looking for? His arm isn't all that weak either, as he made some nice tight throws this afternoon. I'm not going to blame him for not throwing deep at the end of the game either because the receivers weren't even running deep routes... totally baffled with that!

    @browns_fucking_rule said:

    I'm not going to blame him for not throwing deep at the end of the game either because the receivers weren't even running deep routes... totally baffled with that!

    Probably had something to do with the players that we had to play on the OL this week.

    As has been said, Kessler is doing a good job considering he's a rookie being 'thrust' into the starting role. He had a lot of crazy stuff going on around him while he was the starting QB at USC and did a good job there. That's what Hue liked about him, he can handle adversity and he throws it straight.

    I DO agree with the new guy though, cnhnyy, it'd be nice if he had a rocket arm (and stood 6'5")....but we'll have to see as the season goes on just what kind of arm he has. I don't think that Hue would now put McCown back in over Kessler (cos the kid ain't half bad)...but I bet RG3 goes back in when he's cleared.

  • I thought Kessler looked better this week....he has definitely improved from his horrid preseason.....I dont see anything like greatness in him, but he wasnt embarrassing either....certainly not all excited about him, but feel he's shown enough quick progress, that Id expect more of the same to come....could become a decent player with time....(though probably not the star #1 we all covet)

  • I thought Kessler looked better this week....he has definitely improved from his horrid preseason.....I dont see anything like greatness in him, but he wasnt embarrassing either....certainly not all excited about him, but feel he's shown enough quick progress, that Id expect more of the same to come....could become a decent player with time....(though probably not the star #1 we all covet)

    @mudfly said:

    I thought Kessler looked better this week....he has definitely improved from his horrid preseason.....I dont see anything like greatness in him, but he wasnt embarrassing either....certainly not all excited about him, but feel he's shown enough quick progress, that Id expect more of the same to come....could become a decent player with time....(though probably not the star #1 we all covet)

    I'd be fine with a solid game manager backed with great weapons and a soul crushing D 🙂
  • Ill be fine with that too.....IF......they dont draft a QB high next year......AND....he becomes just that....solid....

    But, if he plays well then they go and tap one in the first in 2017?.....I might lose my mind

  • @mudfly said:

    I thought Kessler looked better this week....he has definitely improved from his horrid preseason.....I dont see anything like greatness in him, but he wasnt embarrassing either....certainly not all excited about him, but feel he's shown enough quick progress, that Id expect more of the same to come....could become a decent player with time....(though probably not the star #1 we all covet)

    I'd be fine with a solid game manager backed with great weapons and a soul crushing D 🙂

    @jcam222 said:

    I'd be fine with a solid game manager backed with great weapons and a soul crushing D 🙂

    I want a guy that can bring us down the field in a two minute drill.

  • @jcam222 said:

    neither did Wentz, he was 3rd on the depth chart until Bradford was traded.

    tell it to cal...have never once mentioned Wentz.....

    though, now that Ive been tossed into the wentz ring, his team having enough faith to trade their starter and insert him as starter in game one is a LOT different than actually being 3rd string on day one and having your coaches choose to start 2 other guys ahead of you.....

    @mudfly said:

    tell it to cal...have never once mentioned Wentz.....

    though, now that Ive been tossed into the wentz ring, his team having enough faith to trade their starter and insert him as starter in game one is a LOT different than actually being 3rd string on day one and having your coaches choose to start 2 other guys ahead of you.....

    The Eagles entire plan was to tank, just like us (even though you don't like it). It didn't work out that way, but this had NOTHING to do with "faith" in Wentz.

  • I thought Kessler looked better this week....he has definitely improved from his horrid preseason.....I dont see anything like greatness in him, but he wasnt embarrassing either....certainly not all excited about him, but feel he's shown enough quick progress, that Id expect more of the same to come....could become a decent player with time....(though probably not the star #1 we all covet)

    @mudfly said:

    I thought Kessler looked better this week....he has definitely improved from his horrid preseason.....I dont see anything like greatness in him, but he wasnt embarrassing either....certainly not all excited about him, but feel he's shown enough quick progress, that Id expect more of the same to come....could become a decent player with time....(though probably not the star #1 we all covet)

    So here is the question we need to ask about the "non-NFL body". Is he the next Drew Brees? Watched that lil old guy bring his team way back to a win the last 5 min. yesterday. Still amazing for a guy that size. Still able to read D's like he wrote the book.

  • @mudfly said:

    I thought Kessler looked better this week....he has definitely improved from his horrid preseason.....I dont see anything like greatness in him, but he wasnt embarrassing either....certainly not all excited about him, but feel he's shown enough quick progress, that Id expect more of the same to come....could become a decent player with time....(though probably not the star #1 we all covet)

    So here is the question we need to ask about the "non-NFL body". Is he the next Drew Brees? Watched that lil old guy bring his team way back to a win the last 5 min. yesterday. Still amazing for a guy that size. Still able to read D's like he wrote the book.

    @texasag1969 said:

    So here is the question we need to ask about the "non-NFL body". Is he the next Drew Brees? Watched that lil old guy bring his team way back to a win the last 5 min. yesterday. Still amazing for a guy that size. Still able to read D's like he wrote the book.

    does he have brees's arm strength?

  • He didnt earn it Cal...cmon....earth to cal earth to cal....



    If the 2 QB's ahead of Goff get knocked out, he too will become a starter, the same way Kess did.... Muddy


    *******************************************


    Didn't SAY he earned it. But he was thrust into the starting position because of injuries, and just completed


    70% of his passes. The Redskins are a highly talented team, and go look at the characters on the Dolphins


    dline.



    Bellichoke was hurling his clipboard into the bench the last game. I wonder what he'll hurl when the Browns


    get their first win next week. Earth to Mud, I'm guaranteeing a victory next week ! The Browns have become


    a TEAM that is ready to start winning.


  • Kessler has been a pleasant surprise, I'd give some credit to hue for installing offensive game plans that give him a chance to be successful.

  • I think Kessler's longest completion was 14 yards Sunday. I could be wrong, but I don't remember him throwing the ball remotely down the field (and completing it). Defenses are going to start really making the short stuff tougher to complete, and let's be honest, the only reason we got about 9 of our first downs was because of Redskins' AWFUL tackling. A good or even solid defense makes us punt about ten more times. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the kid, but if we think we can go the entire season without completing a pass more than 14 yards, I've got some news for you.

    The Good: It's kind of eerie how much Cody reminds me of Kosar. He throws an extremely catchable ball, and his short to mid-range accuracy is something to behold. The TD pass to Pryor was absolutely stunning. Double coverage, one place to put it, and BOOM. An amazing throw and catch IN THE RED ZONE people. Kessler displayed the accuracy last week in the two point conversion to Gary. There were several other passes where Cody lead our receivers perfectly and they were able to get YAC. That will be key to our team moving forward, but like I said, decent defenses are not going to miss those tackles. I thought he was calm, cool, and collected...especially considering we got down 14 points right off the bat.

    The Bad: Cody holds onto the ball WAY too long at times. We've probably screwed up every screen play we've tried to run this year, and we've actually struggled to execute them since 'Nam ended. Cody appeared to look for only Pryor (can't blame him), and also Gary. Cody is also very slow. TOO slow to be an NFL starter I think.

    The Ugly: The pick to seal the deal. To be honest, it appeared that Pryor could've done more to get in the way of Norman, even if only to knock the ball down. Pryor could've shielded Norman away, hit the breaks to cause a collision...something. Pryor didn't go to meet the ball (which you don't do on a slant, but had to here to deny the pick), and Norman is talented, so he caught the ball. I'm not saying this is on Pryor, I'm really not, but it APPEARED that he could've gotten in the way more. Cody underthrew the pass, and was playing with fire by going after Norman again. The sad thing is, I THINK we either just got a first down, or we had 2nd and 2. Crow had another terrific run to get us off the goal line, and I don't remember what happened after that. It doesn't matter...we turned it over for the 3rd time in a row, and I'm left hating the fact that my beloved team can't do anything but figure out ways to lose in painful fashion. But hey, guess what? At least we get the Patriots next week, who just got shutout, and the best QB of all time gets to play. Yaaaaaay!